Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

JDxtra wrote: »
    Nothing on 99.5 this afternoon.

There was this morning about 10.30am. Strong signal on Southside Dublin, no RDS, very trebly audio when I was listening. Wouldn’t surprise me if was the unwelcome return of Fresh FM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

TheBMG wrote: »
    There was this morning about 10.30am. Strong signal on Southside Dublin, no RDS, very trebly audio when I was listening. Wouldn’t surprise me if was the unwelcome return of Fresh FM

Maybe they are getting ready for their much anticipated big launch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Maybe they are getting ready for their much anticipated big launch. :D

Yea in fairness they have been testing for only a short period, 5 years or so 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The FM relay of Energy AM seems to be on 99.4 now.

As I was listening, the other signal just appeared again on 99.5.

Also Hot FM have no audio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tiswasfan

Are frequencies so scarce that operators are jumping onto occupied spectrum? 99.3/99.4 has been occupied by energy for quite a while yet another dance station has jumped onto 99.5 recently.

91.6/93.2 would seem better choices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Bandscan for pirates - Cork City Centre:

FM:

87.5 Power 87
    87.8 True (no RDS as signal is stronger in East Cork)
    104.8 blank carrier
    Presume Cityview and Caroline were on earlier in the day.

DAB:

Cybr Hits
    90s Network
    Club Radio (Club FM Dublin)
    Zenith Rock (no audio)
    BKLR Radio
    Wild Country
    Global Radio
    Sami Swoi Radio
    Storm North East
    Cyber Rock
    Dublin’s ABC
    Polish Radio Ireland
    9Radio
    OpenTempo
    Atlantis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Zenith being relayed on 94.3 in Dublin today.

Bandscan for pirates - Cork City Centre:

DAB:

Cybr Hits
    90s Network
    Club Radio (Club FM Dublin)
    Zenith Rock (no audio)
    BKLR Radio
    Wild Country
    Global Radio
    Sami Swoi Radio
    Storm North East
    Cyber Rock
    Dublin’s ABC
    Polish Radio Ireland
    9Radio
    OpenTempo
    Atlantis

Is this FreeDAB? Interesting mix of current FM pirates, internet stations and at least one former FM pirate from 20 years ago (Dublin's ABC). Zenith Classic Rock, who has had previous temporary licenses, is turning up everywhere at the moment (see entry above for 94.3 for Dublin)!

Meanwhile in Dublin....
    When I was driving this evening on Clanbrassil Street Upper between South Circular Road and Harolds' Cross Bridge, I picked up a station on 96.0 playing country music. The signal was particularly strong around the Mount Argus and Harold's Cross areas, but began to drop around Rathgar and Churchtown areas, where there was interference with some other unidentified station.

The RDS said "City Cty" and its RDS information said "Country never sounded better at home". The station was identified a couple of times but, unfortunately, I can't remember the whole name. I was expecting something like City County, based on the RDS, but it was something else Country - the first word began with "I".

Any ideas about this station? Is this a new entrant to the pirate scene? Has it any connections with past country pirates?

Earlier on in the day, I heard some live programming on Pirate FM at 88.1. The presenter was called Lar. I have heard three other presenters in recent weeks, two of whom were Stephen Grogan and Joe Harte. Have these guys got previous radio experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

tiswasfan wrote: »
    Are frequencies so scarce that operators are jumping onto occupied spectrum? 99.3/99.4 has been occupied by energy for quite a while yet another dance station has jumped onto 99.5 recently.

91.6/93.2 would seem better choices?

Our beloved Fresh were on 99.5 for their 3 year test phase so I wouldn't quite agree with you, more so energy jumping on there, and then the rest, messy all the same.

The 99.1-99.8 isn't a good place to park yourself with power, in the summer months anyway with the BBC interference, most pushing 250KW from North Wales.

RTEs highest output I believe is 250KW from Mount Leinster, fun fact for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Is this FreeDAB? Interesting mix of current FM pirates, internet stations and at least one former FM pirate from 20 years ago (Dublin's ABC). Zenith Classic Rock, who has had previous temporary licenses, is turning up everywhere at the moment (see entry above for 94.3 for Dublin)!

Meanwhile in Dublin....
    When I was driving this evening on Clanbrassil Street Upper between South Circular Road and Harolds' Cross Bridge, I picked up a station on 96.0 playing country music. The signal was particularly strong around the Mount Argus and Harold's Cross areas, but began to drop around Rathgar and Churchtown areas, where there was interference with some other unidentified station.

The RDS said "City Cty" and its RDS information said "Country never sounded better at home". The station was identified a couple of times but, unfortunately, I can't remember the whole name. I was expecting something like City County, based on the RDS, but it was something else Country - the first word began with "I".

Any ideas about this station? Is this a new entrant to the pirate scene? Has it any connections with past country pirates?

Earlier on in the day, I heard some live programming on Pirate FM at 88.1. The presenter was called Lar. I have heard three other presenters in recent weeks, two of whom were Stephen Grogan and Joe Harte. Have these guys got previous radio experience?

The station on 96FM has been on for a few weeks as “Inner City Gold” but more recently has started playing country music instead. I suspect it’s only running 10/20 watts.

Stephen Grogan and Joe Harte have been on several stations in the past (including cover work on 98 for Stephen and part time work in Energy 103 for Joe). They both are/were live gigging jocks too.

• Advertisement

TheBMG wrote: »
    The station on 96FM has been on for a few weeks as “Inner City Gold” but more recently has started playing country music instead. I suspect it’s only running 10/20 watts.

I later discovered that they were being identified as Inner City Country. Anybody know anything about who is involved?

Incidentally, I found out later as well that the other station coming in on it in some areas was BBC Radio 4, which came in clearer near Nutgrove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

Our beloved Fresh were on 99.5 for their 3 year test phase so I wouldn't quite agree with you, more so energy jumping on there, and then the rest, messy all the same.

The 99.1-99.8 isn't a good place to park yourself with power, in the summer months anyway with the BBC interference, most pushing 250KW from North Wales.

RTEs highest output I believe is 250KW from Mount Leinster, fun fact for today.
    Mount Leinster is an excellent site. I can get RTE Radio 1 on 89.6 and 2FM on 91.8 in Drogheda with RDS. There were also reports of it interfering with Freeview transmissions in Wales in the early days of Saorview tests.

Retro Radio live on 94.3 this afternoon.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Retro Radio live on 94.3 this afternoon.

94.3 has been relaying Retro FM (on 92.0) for quite a while now on Sundays. Sometimes Energy Power AM on 1395 kh gets involved too, but not today - it's doing its own stuff.

ka2 wrote: »
    There were also reports of it interfering with Freeview transmissions in Wales in the early days of Saorview tests.

I think its more the other way around in that Freeview causes interference in particular areas eg Arklow town due to the use of the same frequencies (ch 45 iirc).

The maximum output for Saorview at Mount Leinster is 160kw but the actual output might be a lot lower.

The FM output is nearer the 200kw output iirc

The station on 96.0 fm has been on the air since at least 2018 - the power is low - possibly closer to 5 watts then 20 watts.
    The station operates weekends only - Saturdays in particular. Audio is very basic.

Disco 105.7 has also been mentioned - this station has been relayed since at least this time last year - I believe it's from the same area as the All80s relay on 98.9

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Isn’t Mt Leinster FM only 100kW? It’s 796m high which explains the wide ranging signal strength just as much as power.

Beat 102.0 is 5kW or so and is receivable in North Cork along with the National stations

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

marno21 wrote: »
    Isn’t Mt Leinster FM only 100kW? It’s 796m high which explains the wide ranging signal strength just as much as power.

Beat 102.0 is 5kW or so and is receivable in North Cork along with the National stations

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Leinster

I think Marno is correct with 100kw - unfortunately the Wikipedia information on ERP tends to be incorrect,additionally often the ERP quoted is the maximum output as opposed to actual eg 252lw 500kw daytime/ 100kw night time.

Regarding transmission coverage - Claremont Cairn at 40kw takes some beating !

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Is it just me or is there a bit of jamming going on this evening, driving around Dublin there’s definitely two transmitters on 99.5, One is playing dance music & the other is a blank carrier, There both is competition with each other and neither are winning.

Infoanon wrote: »

The station on 96.0 fm has been on the air since at least 2018 - the power is low - possibly closer to 5 watts then 20 watts.
    The station operates weekends only - Saturdays in particular. Audio is very basic.

Disco 105.7 has also been mentioned - this station has been relayed since at least this time last year - I believe it's from the same area as the All80s relay on 98.9

These two stations don't get much of a mention in the bandscans here. It's probably because of the low power setups, so can only be picked up in tiny parts of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tiswasfan

Dance station on 99.5 in Dublin 22 very strong

Is it just me or is there a bit of jamming going on this evening, driving around Dublin there’s definitely two transmitters on 99.5, One is playing dance music & the other is a blank carrier, There both is competition with each other and neither are winning.
    I didn't notice anything earlier, but this evening I heard it. Very strong blank carrier. It seems to be off now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Infoanon wrote: »
    I think Marno is correct with 100kw - unfortunately the Wikipedia information on ERP tends to be incorrect,additionally often the ERP quoted is the maximum output as opposed to actual eg 252lw 500kw daytime/ 100kw night time.

Regarding transmission coverage - Claremont Cairn at 40kw takes some beating !
    Indeed Clermont Carn is rather impressive.

I always think the RTE FM network was horrendously planned. The original VHF sites cover huge geographic areas but are poor at population coverage. Mullaghanish covers Cork and Kerry yet almost all of the urban areas require filler transmitters.

marno21 wrote: »
    Indeed Clermont Carn is rather impressive.

I always think the RTE FM network was horrendously planned. The original VHF sites cover huge geographic areas but are poor at population coverage. Mullaghanish covers Cork and Kerry yet almost all of the urban areas require filler transmitters.

Up until the early 80s VHF / FM was of little relevance to RTE with the focus on Athlone and Tullamore ie the AM services.

In Dublin RTE had a FM service from DonnyBrook operating at 40 watts - no processing.

Novas arrival on 88FM with optimod processing changed everything but even as late as '83 more network planning was being put into AM over FM.

There are a lot of fillers - some necessary - some certainly not but the topography of Cork and Kerry will always require fillers or translators as they are known in America

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

ka2 wrote: »
    Mount Leinster is an excellent site. I can get RTE Radio 1 on 89.6 and 2FM on 91.8 in Drogheda with RDS. There were also reports of it interfering with Freeview transmissions in Wales in the early days of Saorview tests.
    Yes --

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/10555298

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hibits

tiswasfan wrote: »
    Dance station on 99.5 in Dublin 22 very strong

Is this something to do with Kiss 93.2 fm because that went off the same day this came on and have not come back.

Easy Radio (105.2) in Dublin have changed their broadcast hours on FM - it is now on from 6pm Monday to Friday and all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 john 1000

kiss fm on 102.5 now in dublin messing around with audio really sounds like they have not a clue what there doing pc sounds on and audio up and down....

Ok look at this first appeared on 93.2 fm as pure then for a few days or maybe one day they were the vibe then kiss fm on 93.2 then as far as i think went to 99.5 then off 99.5 to 102.5 like lads do you know what you lads are doing doent seem that way also now jamming what you can hear of retronow on 102.5 Amateurs is a Word that I would use lightly for these guys you are a Disgrace to radio. Who ever you are you will nerver be the kiss 102.5 that was before even if you try lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hibits

Kiss fm on 102.5 but its not 1025 Kiss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

hibits wrote: »
    Kiss fm on 102.5 but its not 1025 Kiss?

Definitely not 1025 kiss. They where pros,

Advertisement