Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

So what pirates still operate outside of Dublin within the 26 counties?

Here are a few that I know of:
    Radio Star Country, AM pirate - Co. Monaghan
    Radio North, AM pirate - Co. Donegal
    Redrock Country - Co. Carlow
    Storm NE - Dundalk
    RetroNow - Rathoath, Co. Meath (it's not a Dublin station, despite it's main audience! Oh yeah...and not to be confused with Dublin station Retro FM!)
    Energy - Co. Meath (103FM - not to be confused with other Energys!)

Maybes:
    Open Tempo - Waterford City
    AM pirate that relays other stations - Dundalk, if it's still operating
    AM pirate that relays other stations - Sligo, if it's still operating

Judging by Facebook, Open Tempo FM do indeed still broadcast on FM (105.1) from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dxireland

Yes I picked up that blank carrier coming back from Dundalk around liffey Valley to tallaght
    I don't think Galaxy crew will be bothered it's a Kildare station not dublin they just splash into parts of South Dublin I think it will be very hard to interfere with them in Kildare like Lucan leixlip maynooth etc ....

dxireland wrote: »
    Yes I picked up that blank carrier coming back from Dundalk around liffey Valley to tallaght
    I don't think Galaxy crew will be bothered it's a Kildare station not dublin they just splash into parts of South Dublin I think it will be very hard to interfere with them in Kildare like Lucan leixlip maynooth etc ....

My previous posts were prompted by references to Galaxy in Kildare and no pirates in Cork. I should have prefaced by first post with: Apart from Galaxy... :)

I haven't a chance to scan. I wonder would the blank carrier on 94.3 be from the people that relay Charity Radio on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Storm NE - Dundalk
    RetroNow - Rathoath, Co. Meath (it's not a Dublin station, despite it's main audience! Oh yeah...and not to be confused with Dublin station Retro FM!)

Maybes:

Misty Mountain from Cavan on 99.4 and Breffni Carousel on 98.4 from Athboy.

Where are Energy coming from? And isn't there or wasn't there an AM set up in the Sligo area? On 1494 according to posts on here in the past.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Beat FM 104.8 Tralee were on air today too

In Cork now it’s 97.6 CityView on in the evenings and 107.0 Caroline on the weekends

• Advertisement

Misty Mountain from Cavan on 99.4 and Breffni Carousel on 98.4 from Athboy.

Where are Energy coming from? And isn't there or wasn't there an AM set up in the Sligo area? On 1494 according to posts on here in the past.

Energy 103 was mentioned a few times on this thread and was recently featured in a bandscan from the Dublin Mountains. I thank it's from Rathoath, but I'm not sure. Re the Sligo pirate, that's the one I was referring to and was not sure if it is still on the go.

It's interesting that all the border counties have pirates emanating from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Are the following the only FM full-timers left?

91.0 Hot FM (Dublin)
    93.2 IceRadio (Dublin)
    94.3 Galaxy (Kildare)
    98.4 90s Network (Dublin)
    104.2 Storm NE (Louth)
    105.1 OpenTempoFM (Waterford)
    105.4 unidentified oldies station (Wexford)
    107.1 Club FM (when it returns, Dublin)

I know nothing about the broadcast hours of Redrock Carlow, Misty Mountain Radio and RetroNow.
    Amazing the number of ex-pirates which have gone online only, even in the last few years: Easy, Trax, Pirate, Phever, True Radio, DHR, etc..
    Fair play to them, not always easy to gain an online audience, although with smart speakers becoming more popular it’s only getting easier

• Registered Users Posts: 30 astragte

Are the following the only FM full-timers left?

91.0 Hot FM (Dublin)
    93.2 IceRadio (Dublin)
    94.3 Galaxy (Kildare)
    98.4 90s Network (Dublin)
    104.2 Storm NE (Louth)
    107.1 Club FM (when it returns, Dublin)

I know nothing about the broadcast hours of Redrock Carlow, Misty Mountain Radio and RetroNow.
    Amazing the number of ex-pirates which have gone online only, even in the last few years: Easy, Trax, Pirate, Phever, True Radio, DHR, etc..
    Fair play to them, not always easy to gain an online audience, although with smart speakers becoming more popular it’s only getting easier

Redrock are evening's and weekend's only.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

Was The Beach 105.7 raided? I normally listen to them at the weekend but last weekend they were off on Sunday unusually.
    Dublin licensed radio is so bleak.

DavidJC wrote: »
    Was The Beach 105.7 raided? I normally listen to them at the weekend but last weekend they were off on Sunday unusually.
    Dublin licensed radio is so bleak.

They tend to be on intermittently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

Glad to hear.

Their signal is pretty decent in south Dublin and nice imaging.

Doing live shows tonight it's a pity can't get them up good in Dublin they do play some good classics also enjoy listening to the relay of the German dance station when they're not live good all-around I need to put a wire out the window in palmerstown to pick them up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

dxireland wrote: »
    Doing live shows tonight it's a pity can't get them up good in Dublin they do play some good classics also enjoy listening to the relay of the German dance station when they're not live good all-around I need to put a wire out the window in palmerstown to pick them up

http://s25.myradiostream.com:15728/listen.pls

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Storm NE - Dundalk

Maybes:

The Dundalk pirate is still going on 1494, splattering 20 kHz either side, but that is just very local. Relaying Radio Caroline this last few weeks, with a 5 second delay. When not on 1494 they go to 1611 or 1615, and once I heard them on 1440. I don't think the Sligo pirate also 1494 has been on for a while.

Some other things I noticed on MW. Dutch pirate Radio Seagull sometimes uses the Energy frequency 1395. Radio Algeria International has taken over some of the MW frequencies previously used by other broadcasters. 531 and 891 are very strong. Mostly Arabic and French, but some English and Spanish.

A strong signal in Dundalk has always been the 999 kHz transmitter in Lancashire, currently used by Greatest Hits. Scheduled to close sometime in April, along with some other UK transmitters used by commercial stations.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2021/02/bauer-to-turn-off-four-am-transmitters-in-the-north/

The Dundalk pirate is still going on 1494, splattering 20 kHz either side, but that is just very local. Relaying Radio Caroline this last few weeks, with a 5 second delay. When not on 1494 they go to 1611 or 1615, and once I heard them on 1440. I don't think the Sligo pirate also 1494 has been on for a while.

Some other things I noticed on MW. Dutch pirate Radio Seagull sometimes uses the Energy frequency 1395. Radio Algeria International has taken over some of the MW frequencies previously used by other broadcasters. 531 and 891 are very strong. Mostly Arabic and French, but some English and Spanish.

A strong signal in Dundalk has always been the 999 kHz transmitter in Lancashire, currently used by Greatest Hits. Scheduled to close sometime in April, along with some other UK transmitters used by commercial stations.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2021/02/bauer-to-turn-off-four-am-transmitters-in-the-north/

As far as I know, Radio Seagull is not a pirate. It is just an offshore Dutch station with a number of personnel linked to offshore pirates in the past. One of its current presenters is Chris Kennedy, brother of 8Radio's Steve Conway. Steve himself did a stint with Radio Seagull. Edit: in fact, it broadcasts from a ship moored at a harbour!

Any idea who is behind the Dundalk pirate? Interesting how it has changed frequencies on occasion.

I have no idea, but someone else on the thread way back said they know. They have been a lot of different frequencies. About five or six between 1600 and 1700. And short wave various ones I heard between 3.4 and 6.6 MHz. Were strong on the Irish SDR's when they were on 3.4.

Re Radio Seagull, I should clarify that it started life as a pirate but many years later relaunched as a legal station! Similar to Radio Caroline!

Seagull in on 1476 sharing airtime there with Radio Carillon. Good signal on the North West SDR. 1494 has a weak signal on that SDR from Radio Rock Revolution, not much info about that one online, but I don't think it is coming from Ireland.

http://radioseagull.com/?storyid=14#news.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

fmfan wrote: »
    Very strange indeed, This action was also taken against Wild Country 103.6 in Louth and also to River 104.2 in Donegal in very recent times. Restrictions must not apply to Government agencies.

Both those transmitters were for broadcast across the border, 103.6MHz to Newry mainly and 104.2MHz to Derry etc.
    (some might call them 'borderblasters' )

Despite Brexit, there seems to be continued close working between comreg and ofcom in NI on a number of issues, so representations from the north about 'borderbaster' pirates are going to get more attention than in times past.

River (Derry) are now going 'legit' as a DAB station within NI licenced by Ofcom:

https://www.facebook.com/riverradionorthernireland/photos/a.258942958047446/778741772734226/?type=3&theater

advertising income of Independent licensed stations on both sides of the border has plummeted in the past year so may well have put increased pressure to remove anything perceived as a problem (there were political pledges to help the commercial sector in any way possible during the pandemic) .....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pirate Fm

Congratulations to Paul Wilson and Easy Radio , Awarded a Temporary Licence and will broadcast for 15 weeks from April 3rd on 88.1. Best of luck Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Pirate Fm wrote: »
    Congratulations to Paul Wilson and Easy Radio , Awarded a Temporary Licence and will broadcast for 15 weeks from April 3rd on 88.1. Best of luck Paul

Wow, great. Best of luck to Paul and Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Hot FM off air since some time this afternoon.

c'est la vie to Hot

So that leaves ?? Chill fm & Galaxy fm

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

JDxtra wrote: »
    Hot FM off air since some time this afternoon.

Hot fm got a site visit today good riddance . The whole set they had was very poor to say the least.

Pirate Fm wrote: »

JDxtra wrote: »
    Wow, great. Best of luck to Paul and Easy.

Likewise, congratulations. Paul feels like an old friend now, even though I never met him! :) Paul has many years experience now between his own operations in pirateland and online, and from presenting on other pirates, hospital radio and also some other temporary licensed stations in the past.

I will be interested to see who else will be involved.

If I'm not mistaken, Easy Radio used that frequency before in its pirate days. I know Paul had another love station called Kiss FM on 88.1!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Insidethetent

Interesting to see how Comreg has altered their modus operandi in this case, delivering a letter to the site rather than sending a demolition team.

Perhaps they revisited their covid risk assessment calculations since we last mentioned it here?

Sunnyboy11 wrote: »
    Hot fm got a site visit today good riddance . The whole set they had was very poor to say the least.

In fairness, broadcasting during the day on weekdays is a risky venture. Did Ice Radio also get a visit or were they just lucky not to be on? The vast majority of pirates are part-time affairs these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dont shoot the messenger

Hi all
    Do not think Hot fm was the main Concern of comreg anyone on the Fm band now at this moment in time doesn't Care for them Selfs or land owners or have no brains at all...

As I posted here last week with very good information and yet no one took it some stations remain broadcasting tonight' on a quick scan. If there was a visit today to one Mountain site no matter what station it was you will have to believe me on this thay have scanned all of the broadcasting sites to date know it or Not...

So if you are broadcasting tonight or this weekend onwards your ****ed and there coming.. Believe me i am still informed they are going to hit 2 at the one time so i told by good sorces .
    Also just my own personal opinion if they come to your site raid or not and tell your site owner what can happen to them you will lose your siite so basically you are tick fools right now Good night and God-bless

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Hi all
    Do not think Hot fm was the main Concern of comreg anyone on the Fm band now at this moment in time doesn't Care for them Selfs or land owners or have no brains at all...

As I posted here last week with very good information and yet no one took it some stations remain broadcasting tonight' on a quick scan. If there was a visit today to one Mountain site no matter what station it was you will have to believe me on this thay have scanned all of the broadcasting sites to date know it or Not...

So if you are broadcasting tonight or this weekend onwards your ****ed and there coming.. Believe me i am still informed they are going to hit 2 at the one time so i told by good sorces .
    Also just my own personal opinion if they come to your site raid or not and tell your site owner what can happen to them you will lose your siite so basically you are tick fools right now Good night and God-bless

Will Captain Comreg have them walk the plank?

BTW it's a Bandscan thread, not a pirate thread, heavily discussed I agree but it's a public forum and pirate operators know the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

Hi all

The grim reaper

Advertisement