Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Where in Dublin are you picking it up? My radio has been silent here in D5 since RTÉ switched off.

Sorry, I can pick it up at home in Leixlip - I just assumed it was coming from Dublin. Not sure of where the signal is actually reaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I picked up something Spanish on 99.5 around Bray on the M50 earlier, didn't get a name or RDS though.

Are you sure that wasn't some pirate relaying a Spanish station? That frequency seems to be very popular for stations in or near Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Are you sure that wasn't some pirate relaying a Spanish station? That frequency seems to be very popular for stations in or near Dublin!

It's possible Declan, it was in and out to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Probably a Spanish station - came across a station playing Metallica Enter Sandman on 91.6 - slightly disappointed to see the RDS display as BBC R3..... (and to confirm it was a program on BBC Radio 3.
    All the BBCs have perfect reception from Wales at the moment.
    The Spanish stations tend to come from a site in Barcelona.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork 3pm:

91.6 - Onda Cero - Cacares - 6kW
    96.7 - RNE Radio Clásica - various outlets on this frequency
    99.8 - Onda Cero - Valdepenas - 2kW
    104.8 - Radio Solidaria - Zaragoza - 10kW
    104.8 - Radio Maria - La Almonda - 5kW (these two 104.8s were swapping between each other so presumably this R Maria is the outlet)

Many many others in and out as is typical with Sporaic E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Heard this opening this afternoon (often happens in to the month of May). Lots of stations fading in and out across the FM band but it was difficult for RDS station names to decode (at least on my car radio) with other signals in the background on the same frequency and 0.1 apart.
    Regular local stations were suffering bad interference in hilly rural areas where their signal strength is low.

On 108.0 for a few minutes around 3:30PM I had a station with "S. AMARA" on RDS display. Looking this up it is Radio Super Amara', from San Sebastián in the northeast of Spain.

Also this afternoon I happened to switch to MW on car radio and notice the Spirit 549kHz was just a silent carrier. It's audio did return sometime after 3PM

BTW last Wednesday (correction) night around 11PM I had an unusual FM reception on car radio - RUV 2 (Iceland ) on 87.7. there for a few minutes and faded away.. (Sp-E usually happens during daylight)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Spirit was off due to disruption from a cyber attack to the ISP which supplies their STL (was not just HSE)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Antenna wrote: »
    Heard this opening this afternoon (often happens significantly in May). Lots of stations fading in and out across the FM band but it was difficult for RDS station names to decode (at least on my car radio) with other signals in the background on the same frequency and 0.1 apart.
    Regular local stations were suffering interference in hilly rural areas where their signal strength is low.

On 108.0 for a few minutes around 3:30PM I had a station with "S. AMARA" RDS display. Looking this up it is Radio Super Amara', from San Sebastián in the northeast of Spain.

Also this afternoon I happened to switch to MW on car radio and notice the Spirit 549kHz was just a silent carrier. It's audio did return sometime after 3PM

BTW last Thursday night around 11PM I had an unusual FM reception on car radio - RUV 2 (Iceland ) on 87.7. (Sp-E usually happened during daylight) there for a few minutes and faded away..

Sporadic E around Cork was particularly strong around 3pm. Local stations taking on heavy interference from Spanish stations. Radio Kerry 97.0, usually clear with RDS here, was wiped out by a Spanish station.

This evening, I happened to get 'delta' on 104.1 in Ballyvourney. Turns out it's a 50kW signal from Bungsberg in N Germany.

Iceland reception here is rather impressive it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Came across some Dutch Radio Stations and a Polish Station last night on FM on my car radio in Ballybritt Galway between 8 and 9pm
    Sublime Radio
    npo Radio 2
    bnnvara (all Dutch)
    RMF FM (Polish)
    This is most unusual. What or who would be responsible for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭galtee boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Antenna wrote: »

BTW last Wednesday (correction) night around 11PM I had an unusual FM reception on car radio - RUV 2 (Iceland ) on 87.7. there for a few minutes and faded away.. (Sp-E usually happens during daylight)
    Ah, but its still daylight in Iceland at that time! The glow of daylight in the northern sky is persisting now until well after sunset. 24h daylight in places further north can produce all sorts of weird and wonderful 11m skip on midsummer nights to places like Scandinavia.

gammygils wrote: »
    Came across some Dutch Radio Stations and a Polish Station last night on FM on my car radio in Ballybritt Galway between 8 and 9pm
    Sublime Radio
    npo Radio 2
    bnnvara (all Dutch)
    RMF FM (Polish)
    This is most unusual. What or who would be responsible for this?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporadic_E_propagation

This is the cause of the Spanish/German/Polish/long distance reception. It's often quite transient lasting only seconds/minutes with wide swings in reception quality. It also quickly drops off above 100MHz. In the 80s and 90s, RTE 1 TV from Maghera in Clare was on Ch B (53.75MHz), which meant in the summer it often took on severe interference from Spanish TV channels, which led to it being moved to VHF Band III (Ch E - 183MHz) in the late 90s

There's a second type of long distance propagation, 'tropospheric ducting', (galtee boy references excellent predictive maps above) that causes more reliable, lengthy enhancement over shorter distances. In the summer, in parts of Cork Harbour, there are more UK stations receivable than local stations from the Cork area. This type of propogation is commonly seen in coastal parts of Ireland in the summer with reliable reception of FM, UHF TV (Freeview) and even mobile phone signals from Wales, Cornwall, and parts of NW France.

In and around Cork, BBC signals from North Hessary Tor in Devon (88.1, 90.3, 92.5, 97.7 & 100.0) and Haverfordwest in SW Wales (89.3, 91.5, 93.7, 98.9 and especially 104.9) are receivable quite regularly in the summer and during periods of high pressure. 104.9 is the clearest of those and is clear on a regular occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Where in Dublin are you picking it up? My radio has been silent here in D5 since RTÉ switched off.

Here in Dublin 9.

FreeDAB Dublin on 178.352Mhz

Line-up

BKLR Radio
    Ckub Radio
    Dublin's ABC
    Flex UK
    LondonMusicRadio
    Sami Swoi Radio
    Tomorrow Radio
    UnitedDJs
    Wild Country

Sound seems a little squishy to me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Sporadic E opening earlier this evening.
    A few Spanish stations rapidly appearing and disappearing lower end of FM band .
    XHDATA D-808 and built in telescopic antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

There was a Radio Caroline on 107MHz today in Cork. Pirate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Apogee wrote: »

Yes, it gets a mention every so often on this thread.

Apogee wrote: »

Usually a relay of the British Radio Caroline on 107.0 on the weekends

Used to be on 106.4 but swapped with Newstalk a few years back when the 107.0 Newstalk from Mallow switched to 106.4.

Been on years - weekends only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭galtee boy

marno21 wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporadic_E_propagation

This is the cause of the Spanish/German/Polish/long distance reception. It's often quite transient lasting only seconds/minutes with wide swings in reception quality. It also quickly drops off above 100MHz. In the 80s and 90s, RTE 1 TV from Maghera in Clare was on Ch B (53.75MHz), which meant in the summer it often took on severe interference from Spanish TV channels, which led to it being moved to VHF Band III (Ch E - 183MHz) in the late 90s

There's a second type of long distance propagation, 'tropospheric ducting', (galtee boy references excellent predictive maps above) that causes more reliable, lengthy enhancement over shorter distances. In the summer, in parts of Cork Harbour, there are more UK stations receivable than local stations from the Cork area. This type of propogation is commonly seen in coastal parts of Ireland in the summer with reliable reception of FM, UHF TV (Freeview) and even mobile phone signals from Wales, Cornwall, and parts of NW France.

In and around Cork, BBC signals from North Hessary Tor in Devon (88.1, 90.3, 92.5, 97.7 & 100.0) and Haverfordwest in SW Wales (89.3, 91.5, 93.7, 98.9 and especially 104.9) are receivable quite regularly in the summer and during periods of high pressure. 104.9 is the clearest of those and is clear on a regular occasion.

It's not just Cork Harbour, I live in North Co.Cork, near Limerick/Tipperary border and the BBC stations from North Hessary Tor come in very clear in high pressure weather and can often hang around for days . Don't get the signals from Wales very often though, could be that the Galtee mountains are in the way.

galtee boy wrote: »
    It's not just Cork Harbour, I live in North Co.Cork, near Limerick/Tipperary border and the BBC stations from North Hessary Tor come in very clear in high pressure weather and can often hang around for days . Don't get the signals from Wales very often though, could be that the Galtee mountains are in the way.

Indeed, in my part of NW Cork the North Hessary Tor signals are a regular appearance. My comment relating to Cork Harbour was that they can often turn on their radios and get more UK signals than Irish ones. One particular occasion last summer I was able to receive 70 UK signals in Myrtleville Bay.

In NW Cork, it’s always NHT and rarely Wales too. 104.9 from Haverfordwest is usually the only non NHT signal that’s strong.

NHT is 160kW and presumably omni though which helps.

Strong opening from Cork to the south of France atm. Gazelle 98.0 form Marseille and NRJ 96.6 from Toulon booming in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

marno21 wrote: »
    Strong opening from Cork to the south of France atm. Gazelle 98.0 form Marseille and NRJ 96.6 from Toulon booming in

I had radio radicale coming through in South cork along with other Italian stations

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

A few stations missing from the FM band for awhile now

Storm Northeast on 104.2
    Club FM 107.1
    Ice Radio 93.2

Any information on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

A few stations missing from the FM band for awhile now

Storm Northeast on 104.2
    Club FM 107.1
    Ice Radio 93.2

Any information on them?

Club is back on DAB in Dublin. I seem to remember the last time FreeDAB were available in Dublin, they had a policy of discouraging participating stations on their platform from simulcasting on FM. Might be the same this time around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 James singer

heard redrock radio got another visit last night and are gone from fb again

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Robdx

Only 2 pirate stations operating Around the Clock

Hot fm

Galaxy

Anymore ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 James singer

not that I know of think most are shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

Robdx wrote: »
    Only 2 pirate stations operating Around the Clock

Hot fm

Galaxy

Anymore ??

Both are rubbish anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Sunnyboy11 wrote: »
    Both are rubbish anyway!

hot definitely is, how it has survived this long i do not know.
    galaxy actually does have potential, it has good audio and a decent jingle package, it just needs to get the djs back on now and stop hopping around the band and it could be a good little station.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

Happy Saturday! Sun is shining! Anything happening out there today fellas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Someone said Club FM 107.1 were on the Freedab in Dublin, I did a scan at Liffey Valley car park today and couldn’t receive any stations on DAB.

Advertisement