Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Energy is usually on by teatime, sometimes earlier, on a Friday, or at least that has been the usual for the last year or so. Occasionally, it has not come on until Saturday morning. There is no interference around south Dublin on that frequency, at least on the radios I listen to - nearly always the car radio.

P.S. Not to be confused with the Co. Meath FM pirate called Energy, or maybe Energy 103, which also plays oldies!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

A very quick scan of the Dublin FM band at Windy Arbour has no surprises.

On the pirate front there were signals from ABC on 96.0 and Ice Radio on 102.5

No sign of Energy on AM but I’m guessing they’ll spring to life during the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Ice radio has live DJs which I haven't heard on a dance station in a long time. Also their signal coming from the east of the city not the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they do have some live djs but not a full schedule of them unfortunately.

hopefully that will change as time goes on.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The CQ Worldwide SSB Contest is in full swing on the amateur bands. Continues Sunday.

Energy AM were relaying 8Radio.com later last night! They were back on today with their own selection.

Club FM sounding excellent tonight in Dublin's DAB .They seem to also now be doing live mix's on a Saturday night.

I picked up Co. Meath's RetroNow on 107.1 when I was travelling near to Ashbourne. Was Club FM on 107.1 today, which it has been recently? Has there been any clash of stations on that frequency?

club were on last weekend for the bank holiday, which i think they only appear on fm at those times now.

the live mixes on a saturday night have been there from near the start if i remember correctly.

i presume no sign of our other friend trax? looks like they have called it a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio fan 88.1

Got to give it to the guys @club 100% effort does be put in by the lads there. Broadcasting on DAB and FM from time to time .

They have broadcasted on 107.1 since they came on from Day one.

I really dont know why retro now are bothering broadcasting in co meath

Club were on 107.1 in Dublin last weekend and retronow were cutting in wasn't nice to hear Club were hammering retronows Signal in Dublin by a long way.

Retronow has been on a lot of frequencys over the the last few years. But i think 107.1 would not be the place for them.

With the effort the club lads put in i doubt they wont be back on 107.1 FM soon a from what i heard last weekend it a Nice Signal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The IRTS news 31 Oct says that Spirit are looking for a new transmitter. Whoever made that contribution thinks that they are in Donegal.

AM SWL

Spirit Radio's Medium Wave transmission on 549 Khz from Donegal is down. Their signal usually covers Northern Ireland and Scotland, they are looking to purchase a new transmitter.

Radio208 with their 250Watt transmitter on 1440 kHz and 5970 kHz are joining a growing number of enthusiat AM station oprators like shortwaveradio.de on 3975 and 6160 kHz. The Danish station WMR, short for World Music Radio, are back on air on 927 kHz this weekend with 250 Watts of power from Copenhagen. WMR's 200 Watt transmitter is also heard on 5930 kHz, with 10 Watt on 15790 kHz during weekends, and with a 50 watt signal on 25800 kHz, thus making these signals an interesting target for Irish SWL.

I have heard the Danish station on 1440 weak signal around dawn. The frequency, the old Radio Luxembourg channel, is occupied by the mega power Saudi transmitter at night, but it fades towards dawn. I was looking for USA and Canada stations, sometimes weak audio, but no ID's yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Spookie1

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Insidethetent

Speaking of halloween, anyone hearing a station in Dublin calling itself SPOOKY on 94.3FM playing halloween music?

I haven't been doing a scan so far today, but I would imagine it's the same people who relay All Eighties, and sometimes Charity Radio and occasionally Real FM, on that frequency.

Edit: I caught it later and I noticed it was also being relayed on 1395kh MW, home of Energy Power AM. Incidentally, “Oldies” was part of the additional RDS info display for 94.3, which is usually shown for anything relayed/broadcast by the “oldies collective”!

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Does anyone know what goes on with East Coast's 102.90 (Ballyguile Hill, Wicklow Town) Transmitter or who does there Engineering?

Living here a couple of a years now and the past maybe 4 months it's been overmodulating with no pilot, so it's mono, loud and sounds horrendous, until today! I see the pilot is back but the overmodulating is much worse, 85% of 5/6 minutes of measuring was overmodulated compared to 66% yesterday, for a comparison most other stations may have around 2 or 3% over a longer period of time.

I'm only posting this in case maybe someone here knows somebody in there, maybe the engineering is done remotely but it seems this site needs a visit.

I had sent a couple of mails to them a while back but they went unanswered.

Yesterday Evening:

This afternoon:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Well observed. I’m sure the engineer or someone connected with East Coast will read your post.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very bizarre that 94.9 and 104.4 aren't in the 102.9 AF list given that if you were in the reception area of 104.4 or 94.9 you'd presumably be switching from 102.9

In Dublin, Ice Radio (102.5) are off air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Probably because of the presence of other stations on those frequencies and the fact that some car radios actually flick to the AF frequency for a split second to see if there was a valid code. One couldnt have FM104 or 4FM coming through for half a second !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

You say "the pilot is back" but is the sound now stereo? A Stereo pilot (19kHz) reappearing doesn't mean that the sound definitely now has stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Their 99.9 transmitter has been misbehaving for some time as well.

Every so often there's a digital "shriek" noise which causes the audio to duck significantly before slowly recovering back to normal level over the course of a few seconds.

I have to commend whoever has set up their Optimod in Radiocentre though, it must be the loudest 8200 on the planet but it still sounds listenable! :)

No, doesn't sound Stereo, no separation there whatsoever, it's listenable though to agree with KildareP which is most likely down to the processing.

I can only assume there Transmitters are fed by the same feed from Bray but it doesn't suit the input levels on the rigs themselves, some small adjustment is all that's needed, on 102.9 anyway.

Picking up some weak (out my way) station on 99.5 playing cheesy dance music. No station ID heard.

Nothing else on the band really, slim pickings in pirate land.

Around south-east Dublin today, I picked up The Beach on 105.7 FM and Energy Power AM on 1395 kh MW. In fact, I picked up the latter in Bray, Co. Wicklow, as I was heading towards Dublin. The signal was very strong there.

Presumably, Retro FM will be on 92.0 FM tomorrow, and any live broadcasts will be relayed on 1395 kh. It may or may not also be relayed on 99.5 FM or 94.3 FM - who knows?!

That didn't last long. Also signal was coming from east Dublin. I would imagine our public service broadcaster was not happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I had an interesting experience with them during the first lockdown which was completely different to yours. I was listening to Dave Harrington’s show up in Drogheda one evening on 96.2 when I lost carrier completely for a couple of minutes. When it came back, it was weaker than it was before. After a few days of no change, I dropped them a mail. Reception passed it on to Ciara, the station CEO, who got back to me and asked for my phone number.

Later that night, their engineer called me while on his way up to Bray Head. He confirmed that they had done a TX swap that evening and said he appreciated that someone noticed what he was doing. 😂 He tried a few bits which didn’t help but it did improve a few weeks later so something must have changed in the meantime.

How come RTE would not be happy?

They remain off air, there's a post about maintenance on their social media but that could mean anything to be honest. They had a few decent live shows on the station.

• Advertisement

has the UNID that was on 99.5 a couple of days ago reappeard on the band anywhere since?

Advertisement