Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

I don't think our national broadcaster would be happy with any pirate. And your right the first pirate only lasts like about a week.

Very strange them getting shut off so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ice radio haven't said they have been shut down and nobody else has so far stated that any sort of raid has happened or that the station have called it a day on fm.

also, ice radio has been on quite a while, just not on 102.5 until the last while, and it doesn't seem to make any sense that rte would have any issue with them as i think the nearest rte frequency is 102.9?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

For a considerable time, Hot FM got away with being in the middle of the 2fm transmissions on 90.7 and 91.3. So, presumably there were no complaints from RTE (at least not for a while).

Post edited by JDxtra on

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cor

Laser 102.5FM on at the moment. Playing 80s and 90s music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I wonder is this a reinvention of Ice Radio, or is this a different operator that has appeared on that frequency?

• Advertisement

Ice had a unique signal pattern, not sure about this new station - have not heard it yet, will check later.

ComReg have published their "Spectrum Intelligence & Investigations" annual report. It shows that they have been quite active of late. They currently have two criminal prosecution cases pending for illegal FM broadcasts (so, mention no specific details here please!).

They have sent notices to transmission sites, performed search and seize operations and also targeted advertisers on pirate stations over the last year. In the forthcoming year, they will continue to target "illegal use of radio stations broadcasting in AM, MW, FM and DAB".

So, I expect this bandscan thread will be a little quieter! Most posts will likely to be about long range DX-ing, temp stations and the operations of other licenced stations.

Post edited by JDxtra on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Any mention in the report of the Medium Wave stations in Donegal and Monaghan?

In terms of border counties, I only see a mention of FM...

"Over the past year ComReg, following assistance from Ofcom, the U.K. communications regulator, carried out two search and seize cases in Counties Louth and Donegal. In each case an illegal FM broadcast was transmitting over the border into Northern Ireland but had its base station situated in the Republic of Ireland."

However they do mention MW (along with other broadcast bands) here...

"In the coming year ComReg will: continue to monitor and maintain the integrity of the radio spectrum regarding the illegal use of radio stations broadcasting in AM, MW, FM and DAB and take enforcement action as appropriate;"

When automation goes wrong… 98FM just played the news from October 30th.

Report included details of Halloween and the fact the clocks were going back tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Very strong signal on 549 khz earlier at 7pm -- I'm sure the ident was "2 FM" playing continuous english tracks.I stand to be corrected on the ident.

West Wales coast .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Could be JIL FM Algeria, pronounced Jeel. High power transmitter very strong in Ireland.

Yes possibly - everything was in English .

I'll tune in again tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 john 1000

Sounds a very jealous statement that Obviously a case of they can and you cant

I see you just joined to say that well done 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

I thought it was a fair statement, Club were solid on 1071 for a time, and given the current climate they are on when they can.

Retro on the other hand are in a different county and change frequency every other week.

You don't post much here yourself John 1000 so poor form to be calling the OP out on that

• Registered Users Posts: 35 john 1000

I post when i can max power and if there is a need too. What Has anyting you said just there got to do with the post spookie1 POSTED about april fools

your Just typing for the sake of it too....

I believe you are referring to Meath-based dance pirate RetroNow, which can be picked up in some of Dublin. Retro FM is a Dublin weekend oldies pirates - entirely different beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Well I hope your right. I was delighted at long last some pirates with live shows.

Hopefully a glitch and they will be back soon.

Looks like they are going through a transition and will rebrand as Vibe FM according to their Facebook page.

I wasn't able to pick up Laser or anything else on 102.5 in recent days.

Post edited by JDxtra on

JIL FM Algeria, (pronounced Jeel) very strong again on 549khz tonight playing some oldies.

• Advertisement

Unusually for a Monday evening these days, Star1057 was broadcasting automated music on 105.7 FM. I could pick it up around Dublin 16.

I see 8Radio leave the 105.2 Dublin TX on a carrier during the week, not sure about their other frequencies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

iRadio having problems this morning.

All FM's were blank carriers for a time, now playing very hissy sounding music with jingles.

Online is only streaming silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I think they are still having issues - on air content could be backup playout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Yes, only automated music and liners all morning, no presenters, no ads, no news and frequent lengthy gaps of complete silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Looks like they may have moved some kind of automation into where ever the source of the FM link is feeding the network from - still mono

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

stream has music now.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

I have tried to hear the furthest MW transmitters now that the evenings are dark early and cross checking with www.mwlist.org

I mentioned this recently, since Luxembourg closed on 1440khz the frequency is uniquely clear in Europe. I have been able to clearly hear SBA Radio Riyadh on 1440 in my car most nights. 2000kw. If you listen out for it, it seems very low modulation but comes in clear from dusk.

The other easy to hear 2000kw transmitter in Ireland is on 540khz from Solt, Hungary. Another interesting find recently was a station from South Korea on Medium wave in the early evening from a KiwiSWR tuner in central Europe. Of course I never wrote down the station name.

Winter can make medium wave/long wave interesting.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not just iRadio having issues. All services off air from Knockmoyle in Kerry too. National services are available from Mullaghanish in most of its service area. Radio Kerry on 97.2 is from a different site to RTE so remains on air

It does however leave much of Kerry with no Spin South West. 102.5 off air which also feeds 102.9 in Killarney. 102.9 is currently relaying a noisy Radio Kerry.

Advertisement