Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Silent carrier in Kildare on 106.6FM, no sign of Hot FM.

Chill FM on 87.6 all afternoon in Dublin

106.6 - any issues with IRadio using that frequency ?

Connect have reactivated their facebook page - power/ (site) still low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Infoanon wrote: »
    Silent carrier in Kildare on 106.6FM, no sign of Hot FM.

Chill FM on 87.6 all afternoon in Dublin

106.6 - any issues with IRadio using that frequency ?

Connect have reactivated their facebook page - power/ (site) still low
    There didn’t seem to be any issues where I was listening anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Bandscan this afternoon from Dublin 12 area:

87.8 - RTE R1 - 24dB - Clermont Carn
    88.1 - Kiss FM - 22dB
    88.5 - RTE R1 - 70dB - Three Rock
    89.1 - RTE R1 - 67dB - Kippure
    89.9 - SPIRIT - 56dB - Three Rock
    90.3 - NEARFM - 32dB - Coolock
    90.7 - RTE 2FM - 70dB - Three Rock
    91.0 - RETRO FM - 42dB
    91.3 - RTE 2FM - 67dB - Kippure
    91.6 - PHEVER - 62dB
    92.0 - CONNECT - 27dB
    92.2 - SPIRIT - 26dB - Saggart Hill
    92.9 - RTE RnaG - 64dB - Three Rock
    93.5 - RTE RnaG - 65dB - Kippure
    93.9 - DSFM93.9 - 40dB - Dundrum
    94.6 - 4FM - 46dB - Saggart Hill
    94.9 - 4FM - 70dB - Three Rock
    95.5 - LMFM - 40dB - Saggart Hill
    96.2 - ECoastFM - 28dB - Bray
    96.7 - RTElyric - 66dB - Three Rock
    97.6 - KFM - 43dB - Saggart Hill
    98.1 - 98FM - 70dB - Three Rock
    98.7 - RTElyric - 58dB - Kippure
    99.9 - ECoastFM - 41dB - Saggart Hill
    100.3 - NOVA - 70dB - Three Rock
    100.9 - Today FM - 57dB - Kippure
    101.8 - Today FM - 58dB - Three Rock
    102.2 - Q102 - 65dB - Three Rock
    102.7 - RTE RnaG - 22dB - Clermont Carn
    103.2 - DUB CITY - 49dB - Three Rock
    103.8 - SPIN1038 - 65dB - Three Rock
    104.4 - FM104 - 66dB - Three Rock
    105.5 - Today FM - 24dB - Clermont Carn
    106.0 - NEWSTALK - 63dB - Three Rock
    106.4 - RNA LIFE - 64dB - Three Rock
    106.8 - SUNSHINE - 59dB - Three Rock
    107.1 - TRAX - 34dB
    107.6 - NEWSTALK - 31dB - Saggart Hill

Hot FM Kildare is now Galaxy.

Hot FM Kildare is now Galaxy.

What frequency, 88.1?

• Advertisement

Yes 88.1, now with RDS Galaxy and on-air IDs.
    Also when checking the list of available stations, like some other pirates, it appears at the very top of the list before the RTE stations - not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Energy 1395 am weekends in Dublin very clear plays some great music

Energy 1395 am weekends in Dublin very clear plays some great music

Relayed RETRO FM on Sunday but again for the second Sunday in a row dead air from 9pm ish on both 91.0FM and 1395AM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Relayed RETRO FM on Sunday but again for the second Sunday in a row dead air from 9pm ish on both 91.0FM and 1395AM

I heard Retro yesterday morning around Dundrum - just barely! Retro's presenter mentioned that they were also available on 1395 AM - he also mentioned the MW metres equivalent (235 metres?).

I switched to AM where the reception was much better and clearer. The presenter came back and thanked Energy for allowing the use of their frequency. He called the station Retro Radio, rather than Retro FM. This reminds me of the post-Christmas period when Retro FM, Connect FM and Energy AM briefly combined together to form Fun Radio.

However, the biggest surprise was the presenter. I knew the voice was familiar, particularly when I heard him more clearly on 1395. Then he announced himself as Derek Jones. This is the same Derek Jones who was on all three temporary licences for Premier FM in the mid '00s and the first couple of runs of Christmas FM.

Some of you may recall me alluding to him on other threads. He had been involved in various Dublin pirates from the early '70s (Radio Valerie was probably the first) until the early '00s - the last being Radio Caroline from north Dublin. He then went to Beaumont Hospital Radio. His return to the pirate scene at best last December - AFAIK the first in 16 or 17 years - is quite a surprise to put it mildly. This means that he first got involved in the pirate scene over 45 years ago! If you do a few calculations, he has to be well into his sixties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

available on 1395 AM - he also mentioned the MW metres equivalent (235 metres?).

no, 235m would be 1278kHz which was the former RTE 2FM's mediumwave transmitters in both Dublin and Cork

to convert kHz to metres or vice-versa just divide into 300000 and round to the nearest metre / or regular 9kHz step for MW.

1278 kHz (235m) was also used transmitting AM/MW from south Dublin by temporary licenced station Choice FM in addition to FM in 2006 (which was a couple of years after RTE ceased to use the frequency)

https://finndxer.wordpress.com/2006/09/06/choice-fm-dublin-on-1278-khz/

• Advertisement

Antenna wrote: »
    no, 235m would be 1278kHz which was the former RTE 2FM's mediumwave transmitters in both Dublin and Cork

to convert kHz to metres or vice-versa just divide into 300000 and round to the nearest meter / or regular 9kHz step for MW.

1278 kHz (235m) was also used transmitting on AM/MW from south Dublin by temporary licenced station Choice FM in addition to FM in 2006 (which was a couple of years after RTE ceased to use the frequency)

Energy announce 215m on air - at least its the correct frequency !
    RTE Radio 2 originally had jingles announcing "490 - 240 RTE Radio 2 Stereo sounds on VHF" - 1250AM being the original AM frequency with most of the Dublin pirates centred around that part of the band until Sunshine 539 launched (except it 531AM), the RTE AM site was out in Beaumount

It was Nova who brought about FM and AM in their top of the hour jingles "846AM and 88FM ins stereo"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Antenna wrote: »

to convert kHz to metres or vice-versa just divide into 300000 and round to the nearest metre / or regular 9kHz step for MW.

1278 kHz (235m) was also used transmitting AM/MW from south Dublin by temporary licenced station Choice FM in addition to FM in 2006 (which was a couple of years after RTE ceased to use the frequency)

Energy announce 215m on air - at least its the correct frequency !

I learnt a lot in those posts! In all the years listening to MW (or, if you like AM). I never knew about that conversion calculation and it's a handy rule of thumb!

When I first listened to MW as a boy, it was all metres, like 208 metres for Radio Luxemboyrg. It was only a bit later that there was much talk in terms of kilohertz - must have been around the time of Radio Nova in 1981. It reminds me of the references to FM rather than VHF! I suppose it was an "Americanisation" of the radio dial.

Anyway, I would love if someone commented on other aspects of my previous posts, namely the arrangements made between Retro Radio on 91,0 FM and Energy (Power) AM (1395 kh or 215 metres!!), or the phenomenon of the veteran presenter Derek Jones turning up again on pirate radio!

Connect have been on 92.0 on low power last few evenings, happens to be just a silent carrier at the moment.
    Space FM 99.5 seem to be playing the same 30 songs on a loop for over a week now. Waste of a freq if they have no other plans but at least it’s not as if they’re taking anyone’s frequency away as there are quite a few decent clear frequencies in Dublin that no one is using.
    Therefore, this seems to make up the list of pirates on air in Dublin:
    87.6 Chill FM
    88.1 Kiss FM
    91.0/1395 Retro (sharing the latter with Energy)
    91.6 Phever
    92.0 Connect
    99.5 Space FM
    101.4 Kiss FM
    105.7 No.1 FM
    107.1 Trax

Chill FM audio sounding quite nice at the moment - and they are also on more frequently than before. So, nice to hear.

Picking up a strong carrier in Dublin on 107.8

Picking up a strong carrier in Dublin on 107.8

College Station afaik

Yes, Trinity College.

Anyone know whether Galaxy FM kildare is 24/7 or weekends only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

What's the frequency and I'll check in the morning when I'm in the car?

What's the frequency and I'll check in the morning when I'm in the car?
    Thanks, frequency is 88.1FM.

• Advertisement

Thanks, frequency is 88.1FM.

Coming in perfect just outside Naas here!

Anyone know if XFM is still on 87.6 in the midlands?

In laois today, nothing on 87.6. Only pirate on air was a church transmitter on 106.5 with mass, it’s from Portlaoise I believe.

Live programming on Galaxy FM Kildare this afternoon - nice signal and audio, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Live programming on Galaxy FM Kildare this afternoon - nice signal and audio, fair play to them.

do they have a stream yet do you know?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

do they have a stream yet do you know?
    Not that I can locate, sorry.

You're in waterford aren't you? You can get galaxy there OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i presume he is on his travels?
    all though it's not impossible that galaxy could be got in waterford as years ago when they were on 104.8 they could be got down in the southeast quite clearly.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

all though it's not impossible that galaxy could be got in waterford as years ago when they were on 104.8 they could be got down in the southeast quite clearly.
    Yes I was travelling.

• Advertisement

Yes I was travelling

Advertisement