Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

TallGlass wrote: »
    At least regulation stops this stuff with legal stations, not saying they would or should.

Not so.....allegedly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Infoanon wrote: »
    Not so.....allegedly

I mean on a whole, as in RTE, UTV, actually having a board meeting saying they'll purposely block a station. Maybe an employee freaked out about a board meeting and why the station is performing poorly, might prompt such a reaction.

Instead of telling the person telling the truth, that the music is mainly ****e and the playlist and licence conditions are shocking, they say nothing. How are the BCI meant to know there are issues, no one from what I can see is reporting them. Although I hope Phantom/TX FM going under was a wake up call for them.

As an example the news/talk quota is mental, we have a station for News and Talk, has anyone actually done a survey into how the age group of there licence actually wants what the licence stipulates? Honestly, I know a bit about radio, but when it comes to the BCI, I seem to miss out on these surveys, about what needs to change. Another example, I had more input about what new bus colours I would like to see in Dublin.

Off on a tangent there sorry!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BBC Radio stations from North Hessary Tor in Cornwall were making their usual appearance here during fine weather.

Poster on Digital Spy has an impressive list of stations received in Lancashire including NEAR FM and 4FM from Nowen Hill in Cork.

One that interested me was UCB Ireland on 87.6. Is this relay still active in Wicklow? Must be going at least 15 years now.

How are the BCI meant to know there are issues, no one from what I can see is reporting them. Although I hope Phantom/TX FM going under was a wake up call for them.
    BAI licences stations where the applicants promise the world and are happy to sign up to very stringent conditions - news / music content etc
    The amount of stations that are loss making and need continued investment is a sure sign to the BAI that all is not well in Irish broadcasting.

BUT a)these stations knew the rules b)deep pockets are keeping them afloat apart from TX

The BAI has reduced the news requirements and have been flexible to an extent in allowing format change - they have also not advertised for any new licences eg in Dublin where the TX licence was not re advertised and there are multiple free frequencies.

Simon Maher and others have been very vocal about the need for a new business model and approach from the BAI to facilitate new services but while the deep pockets continue to provide funding and the current incumbents cry foul over any potential new services little or nothing is going to change.

This against a backdrop of falling listenership and listeners switching to alternative ie streaming sources of radio listening

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

marno21 wrote: »
    BBC Radio stations from North Hessary Tor in Cornwall were making their usual appearance here during fine weather.

Poster on Digital Spy has an impressive list of stations received in Lancashire including NEAR FM and 4FM from Nowen Hill in Cork.

+1 picked up Manx FM today on 97.2 from Douglas (Carnane) at a not very elevated position - Blackrock, Dublin near the bottom of Carysfort Ave. Later got BBC R2 on 88.7 from Blaenplwyf on Cardigan Bay in Wales and Q Radio on 101.1 from Kilkeel in NI.

Did an autotune on my DAB radio last night and the station list included all of the BBC stations though none was usable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Gorse fire on Dublin Mountain s. I wonder will any radio transmitters be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

castle2012 wrote: »
    Gorse fire on Dublin Mountain s. I wonder will any radio transmitters be affected

Hot may get burned lol... couldn't resist :P

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Rock Solid

I think the Jammer is gone as FK is in Dublin now. There busy setting up the studio.

Rock Solid wrote: »
    I think the Jammer is gone as FK is in Dublin now. There busy setting up the studio.
    Yes fully live shows from tonight apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yup, live now at the moment

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

yup, live now at the moment
    Have to say nice to listen to music not been talked over. Brings me back to my youth.

Manx on 97.2
    3FM on 105.0
    Energy on 105.2

Crystal clear in Rathgar especially Manx

RDS reading Testing on 94.1 in Dublin

RDS reading Testing on 94.1 in Dublin
    What type of music?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

At least now Hot’s shows are in stereo now that FK’s over here

castle2012 wrote: »
    What type of music?

None, just blank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

If they had a Mono FM transmission up to now I'd imagine it was to reduce the impact of the jamming (as it would do).

Where they not already in stereo ?

Sounds like there's additional processing to 'widen' the stereo effect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Carrier over 94.3 now. Seems very strong, at least out west. Anybody else getting it?

Was a bit modulated here in North Dublin earlier, all other stations where off air also.

Hope stations are providing extra cooling for the TX's during this heat, they'll get very hot without it!

Popped on NS90s online, really good and sounded great!

• Advertisement

This evening, signal report from Leixlip Co. Kildare:

88.1 Easy - 32dB
    94.3 Hot - 46dB
    107.1 Trax - 43dB

Will try measure the carrier on 94.3 if it appears again.

Hot Fm signal off air.

Hot FM now on 93.2. Signal reading is 52dB.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Hot FM now on 93.2. Signal reading is 52dB.
    I wonder is it a second tx. 94.3 was been jammed in the North East this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Antenna wrote: »
    If they had a Mono FM transmission up to now I'd imagine it was to reduce the impact of the jamming (as it would do).

No, only the broadcasts from Spain were in mono. It was always in stereo aside from that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BBC Radio coming in tonight from North Hessary Tor, Redruth and Haverfordwest. Unreal weather.

No, only the broadcasts from Spain were in mono. It was always in stereo aside from that

Is all input not treated as stereo regardless of source? I thought encoders operated this way, unless it's a really weird setup! Or do people mean the sound is fluctuating.

Someone also needs to sort out that ad for the barbers, as in, create a new ad.

Seem to be back on 94.3 and off 93.2 now?

Seem to be back on 94.3 and off 93.2 now?

That is correct.

• Advertisement

There was white noise on Hot tonight during FK links and adverts etc.

Advertisement