Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

to be fair, there actually have been cases of genuine cds using lossy files as their original source.

That may be true. But very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

to be fair, there actually have been cases of genuine cds using lossy files as their original source.

Having heard the station I think in this instance it’s just bad sound quality on the station in general, processing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

Having heard the station I think in this instance it’s just bad sound quality on the station in general, processing etc

I agree with you, but that should be sorted before you hit the airwaves. To be honest most of their tracks sound fine, except for a few here and there. But are all WAVs apparently. Yeah sure they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sometimes music is sourced from friends or online through unofficial methods. You don't know the real source - it could be low quality MP3 or a YouTube download converted back to WAV, which are useless for broadcast.

Never download tunes from You Tube for broadcast. The multi convert will destroy the audio. For example...

Orignal CD > MP3 128 Rip > YouTube Upload > Download from YouTube > Convert to MP3 128 > Playout System > Encode for MP3 128 stream = awful!!

There are tools out there you can use to check your entire library and validate the actual bitrate. Very useful for weeding out the fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

"Energy" on 1395 khz was a good signal again on the West Wales coast on Saturday but sadly Radio Caroline North via Manx Radio on 1368khz outshone it in signal strength and music content --- but great that it was there.
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SATNAV

little bit of a difference in power output :D !!! great to hear one of the few MW pirates coming in to Wales !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What’s the RDS now? And dance music I assume?

Yeah it's all dance music. It's called Dance One Radio. It's strange because it has a brief jingle that says something like "broadcasting from 99.5 FM Dublin and San Francisco". Unusual combination of broadcast locations...

SATNAV wrote: »
    little bit of a difference in power output :D !!! great to hear one of the few MW pirates coming in to Wales !!!!

Yes I appreciate the power difference and also the antenna difference !
    For information -- the Manx Radio signal is very good on the North Pembrokeshire coast near Fishguard and acceptable where I live 30 miles due south from there.
    Energy was listenable near Fishguard with some fading .
    Radio is a Tecsun with internal aerial and location is about 30 foot above sea level -- if that !!
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭turbocab

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Yes I appreciate the power difference and also the antenna difference !
    For information -- the Manx Radio signal is very good on the North Pembrokeshire coast near Fishguard and acceptable where I live 30 miles due south from there.
    Energy was listenable near Fishguard with some fading .
    Radio is a Tecsun with internal aerial and location is about 30 foot above sea level -- if that !!
    Regards

its great to know energy from Dublin is received on Welsh coast,power of only 300watts with T aerial only 60 feet high,energy engineers believe that Manx on 1368 have the best sounding am signal bar none,Mighty thundering Bass,energy trying to get the audio similar to manx,unfortunately will never match the 20kw power,

turbocab wrote: »
    its great to know energy from Dublin is received on Welsh coast,power of only 300watts with T aerial only 60 feet high,energy engineers believe that Manx on 1368 have the best sounding am signal bar none,Mighty thundering Bass,energy trying to get the audio similar to manx,unfortunately will never match the 20kw power,
    Agree 100% about Manx Radio -- going to be such a pity if 1368khz closes -- it's a great station in it's own right not only when they do the Radio Caroline North week ends.
    Probably the sea path helps get Energy across with just 300w .
    Will be there again at the week end so will give a listen again .
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

July 25th Dublin:
    91.0 HOT FM
    92.0 UNID - Dance music / poor quality audio / strongest in West Dublin
    93.2 Kiss FM
    99.5 Fresh FM
    107.1 Trax

101.4 was N-Joy on Monday evening - very similar reception to previous 101.4Kiss

Audio - WAV files do not guarantee good audio - good processor (and well set up) is what's needed - its not that long ago that commercials where using MP3 formatted files and most listeners would not notice the difference.
    Reality is no pirate can risk losing an optimod so processing will always breakaway at best. Audio wise in Dublin Trax is tops while HOT is no where near as bad as some have described.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Audio - WAV files do not guarantee good audio - good processor (and well set up) is what's needed - its not that long ago that commercials where using MP3 formatted files and most listeners would not notice the difference. Reality is no pirate can risk losing an optimod so processing will always breakaway at best. Audio wise in Dublin Trax is tops while HOT is no where near as bad as some have described.

Certainly, yes - using WAVs doesn't mean quality. It's how the track was mastered, where it was sourced from, and how the audio makes it to the TX that matters more. A good quality MP3 can sound just fine over the air if everything else is in order.

But no matter the processor, it can't magically repair really bad audio that is sent to it. The non-standard extras that are available with the Stereo Tool processor can help with repairing clipped audio and compression artifacts - but in my opinion it's far better to just send good quality audio in the first instance (even using Stereo Tool or similar as a belt and braces approach).

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Rock Solid

FK doesn't care what it sounds like once he makes money at his gigs, he is continously pushing the gig and getting everyone involved to push it, probably not even paying them much. The audio and music is terrible is over FB from Benidorm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

JDxtra wrote: »
    Certainly, yes - using WAVs doesn't mean quality. It's how the track was mastered, where it was sourced from, and how the audio makes it to the TX that matters more. A good quality MP3 can sound just fine over the air if everything else is in order.

But no matter the processor, it can't magically repair really bad audio that is sent to it. The non-standard extras that are available with the Stereo Tool processor can help with repairing clipped audio and compression artifacts - but in my opinion it's far better to just send good quality audio in the first instance (even using Stereo Tool or similar as a belt and braces approach).

Stick with records and carts:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

its not that long ago that commercials where using MP3 formatted files and most listeners would not notice the difference.

i thought they used mp2 or mp1 rather then mp3? out of interest, when did the commercials adopt pc playout in the first place and which station was the first? same for pirates?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

I put on hot fm this evening on the way home from work. Absolutely horrible to listen to Frank Kennedy, every few minutes trying to sell tickets to a gig in August.
    Anyway a pleasure to switch over to kiss on 93.2fm. Nice music. The only thing the signal is a bit on the weak side. A bit of interference and audio could be better

i thought they used mp2 or mp1 rather then mp3? out of interest, when did the commercials adopt pc playout in the first place and which station was the first? same for pirates?

You are correct - MP2 iirc
    Stumped on your second question ! Legals possibly 98 ,pirates - DJ Raduga did become a regular on many pirates in the mid to late 90s but possibly C101/Sun 101 or Drive 105 where the first to adopt full time PC playout ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I think 98FM in 2000/2001 - Master Control

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Rock Solid

I think 98FM in 2000/2001 - Master Control

Zara

In early 2000, OtsJuke was used on a low powered fully automated station. Not sure about before that.

• Advertisement

In early 2000, OtsJuke was used on a low powered fully automated station. Not sure about before that.

C101/Sun 101 predates that .

White noise being broadcast on 92.0 FM,was on air last night and most of this morning and now back on this evening in Dublin.
    Wiping out the dance station on 92.0 , not the cleverest move.

Kiss 93.2 off air tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kiss radio dublin

C101/Sun 101 predates that .

White noise being broadcast on 92.0 FM,was on air last night and most of this morning and now back on this evening in Dublin.
    Wiping out the dance station on 92.0 , not the cleverest move.

Kiss 93.2 off air tonight
    Hi and thanks guys we are off air as we are changeing our ariels we will be back on air over the weekend thanks all kiss radio dublin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hi and thanks guys we are off air as we are changeing our ariels we will be back on air over the weekend thanks all kiss radio dublin

Indeed, you'd be better off with the aul Persil alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SATNAV

I thought Retro Radio was on 92 FM ?
    Most of the FM pirates in Dublin are Dance , not a lot of choice for us old fobbies , only Retro or Energy AM .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Most of the FM pirates in Dublin are Dance , not a lot of choice for us old fobbies , only Retro or Energy AM .
    Dance music radio station is unfortunately never been legalised for dublin for some strange reason

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paulwilson

Retro radio has been their for a long time now with alot of money pumped into the station from its studio to its music collection it took the owners months of back breaking work to put it on air they seen another area of the market that was difrent to dance radio that was void oldies music radio which i think is a very relaxing style to listen to not alot of radio to keep us old timers entertained

Over in Liffey Valley Dublin today, this is what I can get...

87.6 - Chill FM
    91.0 - HOT FM
    92.0 - RETRO FM
    98.9 - Abs.80s
    99.5 - FRESH FM
    105.7 - No.1 fm
    107.1 - TRAX

Energy on 1395 khz 20 miles south of Fishguard Pembrokeshire 28th July.
    Sorry it's a rushed video trying to hold the radio ,camera and dodge the rain -- anorak quality !
    https://youtu.be/27VLI5kKwfc
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭turbocab

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Energy on 1395 khz 20 miles south of Fishguard Pembrokeshire 28th July.
    Sorry it's a rushed video trying to hold the radio ,camera and dodge the rain -- anorak quality !
    https://youtu.be/27VLI5kKwfc
    Regards

nice clip there ,we are currently running 300 watts, our new transmitter is capable to run 800 watts but our antenna tuning unit is not upgrade on the way shortly and power increase to follow,
    Cheers Oscarziggy

• Advertisement

turbocab wrote: »
    nice clip there ,we are currently running 300 watts, our new transmitter is capable to run 800 watts but our antenna tuning unit is not upgrade on the way shortly and power increase to follow,
    Cheers Oscarziggy
    As the crow (or RF) flies distance 116 miles and mostly a sea path.
    I look forward to the power increase and ATU upgrade.

Advertisement