Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Sooo what exactly does it mean when people say your bump has "dropped"? And when is it supposed to happen? And can it "undrop" again?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I always thought dropped meant the baby had moved down to get ready. I could be wrong!!! Only 9 weeks to go wish it would just hurry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭moodswing

Sooo what exactly does it mean when people say your bump has "dropped"? And when is it supposed to happen? And can it "undrop" again?

I think (and I may be wrong!) that when people say this it means that your bump has dropped lower down, when the baby has moved down and it is just a positive sign that things are moving in the right direction! On my first up until my due date people were telling me my bump hadn't dropped and I was 8 days overdue! Im 33 weeks tomorrow and have already noticed my bump hanging noticeably lower than it has been in previous weeks. I think its gas when the shape of the bump changes throughout the day with little baba moving around! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Yeah I always thought the same. When your bump 'drops' it is when the baby has moved lower into to birth canal and your uterus moves back down to where it normally is.

A few people have said to me that it's dropped. It seemed to happen all of a sudden one morning last week, the bump looks a lot lower and smaller now. But I had a scan a couple of days ago and the head's not engaged or anything yet, so I think I've another while to go!

They estimated his weight at 4 pounds 11 in the scan - right on track for the age! I'm due in six weeks, so if he puts on half a pound a week, should be born at about 7 pounds 11. :)

Does anyone else STILL not have a hospital bag ready? :o I really must sort one out this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Just finished packing my hospital bag,everyone keeps on at me to do it so its done now.
    Have to do my baby bag next,baby grows,vests,nappies etc...Ive got all of it just need to put it in the bag.
    Have that usual feeling that im forgetting something really important.
    The bag i have for myself has,night dress for delivery,underwear,bra,socks,fluffy socks,dressing gown,pjs,travel size shampoo,body wash,face wipes,toothbrush,tooth paste,breast pads and maternity pads,a towel.

Do i need another bag then for myself for when im up in the ward,with maybe more pjs, my going home clothes,books maybe??

Anyone have any suggestions,or any more ideas of what i might need?

Hope everyone is doing good,nearly there now...x

"Do i need another bag then for myself for when im up in the ward,with maybe more pjs, my going home clothes,books maybe??
    Anyone have any suggestions,or any more ideas of what i might need?"

Im not sure if it depends what hospital your in but Im in Holles St and with my first when I went in they took my ward bag and locked it away for me while I was in labour so I just had my small bag with nightdress, slippers, dressing gown and first outfit and nappy for baby with me. Then once I had baba they brought the bigger bag to the ward.

I found a small water spray for your face was great during labour and a plastic bag to put your wet towels into! Cant think of anything else to add right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Just finished packing my hospital bag,everyone keeps on at me to do it so its done now.
    Have to do my baby bag next,baby grows,vests,nappies etc...Ive got all of it just need to put it in the bag.
    Have that usual feeling that im forgetting something really important.
    The bag i have for myself has,night dress for delivery,underwear,bra,socks,fluffy socks,dressing gown,pjs,travel size shampoo,body wash,face wipes,toothbrush,tooth paste,breast pads and maternity pads,a towel.

Do i need another bag then for myself for when im up in the ward,with maybe more pjs, my going home clothes,books maybe??

Anyone have any suggestions,or any more ideas of what i might need?

Hope everyone is doing good,nearly there now...x

I have put stuff into 2 bags but not finished yet! My antenatal classes aren't till dec so won't get my hospital list till then. If you want to try and breastfeed the midwife said make sure to bring nipple cream the one she recommended to me was by MAM it is called multi balm. Her second choice was that purple one lansinoh. Is anyone else taking iron supplements? If so any recommendations. Midwife recommended ferrogard c to me and they are literally killing me making my hyperemesis a million times worse :( so haven't taken them since friday.

Thanks moodswing,im going to Holles st too,so will get a small bag together for the labour ward,well ill really just be takin things from the bags Ive already got and moving them into the other one. Good tips too!

Millem re the iron supplements,i was taking pregnacare plus,sort of gives you a bit of everything,and your full daily dose of iron,but when i had blood tests my iron was spot on so havnt been taking anything with iron in it. You can take pregnacare plus all through pregnancy too.
    If your iron is very low galfer (may not have spelt that right) is good,its strong tho,so might give you the same problem,make sure you get plenty of water,orange juice and fiber. If it was me id go with the pregnacare plus.

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Thanks moodswing,im going to Holles st too,so will get a small bag together for the labour ward,well ill really just be takin things from the bags Ive already got and moving them into the other one. Good tips too!

Millem re the iron supplements,i was taking pregnacare plus,sort of gives you a bit of everything,and your full daily dose of iron,but when i had blood tests my iron was spot on so havnt been taking anything with iron in it. You can take pregnacare plus all through pregnancy too.
    If your iron is very low galfer (may not have spelt that right) is good,its strong tho,so might give you the same problem,make sure you get plenty of water,orange juice and fiber. If it was me id go with the pregnacare plus.

I am taking pregnacare too!!! I got blood test done and iron was perfect but supposedly you need to stock up on it for delivery plus baby starts to store iron for first 6 months of life. I told midwife I was taking pregnacare but she said there isn't enough iron in them for third trimester. Sure enough I looked up on Internet and I think it was on nhs site that said in third trimester you need a good more I think a third more! I am due at gp in a week so will ask him!

• Advertisement

I'm taking Galfer Fa - I didn't take any iron on my first pregnancy and after the birth I had to get 2 blood transfusions as my iron levels dropped after a bleed. Now obviously that doesn't happen to everyone who doesn't take iron so not trying to scare anyone!!

My gp recommended to take the iron even if your levels are good - the Galfer can be strong so I just eat first and about an hour later take one with a big glass of OJ (to help with the possible unpleasant side effect of constipation! The glamour!)

Now thanks for reminding me to go take my iron - baby brain ;)

Maybe ill start taking iron supplements closer to due date,i got blood taken about 3 weeks ago and my blood was at 14 so she said no need to take anything,but then when i had a miscarriage back in February my blood dropped to below 10 so it can drop very fast and really does knock the stuffing out of you energy wise! So yeah i think when Ive 3 weeks to go ill go back on pregnacare to top up! Galfer is strong,that's what i took after mis. carriage so i won't take that one just in case its too much.

moodswing wrote: »
    I'm taking Galfer Fa - I didn't take any iron on my first pregnancy and after the birth I had to get 2 blood transfusions as my iron levels dropped after a bleed. Now obviously that doesn't happen to everyone who doesn't take iron so not trying to scare anyone!!

My gp recommended to take the iron even if your levels are good - the Galfer can be strong so I just eat first and about an hour later take one with a big glass of OJ (to help with the possible unpleasant side effect of constipation! The glamour!)

Now thanks for reminding me to go take my iron - baby brain ;)

My neighbour recommended galfer to me the other day. I am going to try them, just looked them up they are soooooooo cheap! :)

I've been taking Pregnacare all along, if I switch to Galfer should I stop the Pregnacare, or can you take both together? :confused:

I've been taking Pregnacare all along, if I switch to Galfer should I stop the Pregnacare, or can you take both together? :confused:

Midwife said it was fine to take both as so many things inhibit absorption of iron like tannins in tea and coffee, phytic acid in brown bread, fizzy drinks etc! Plus you need vitamin c to absorb it. I am going to see how I get on with galfer I may only stomach it every second day. If so may take omega pregnacare tablet and galfer then next day page two pregnacare tablets(if that makes sense)! The ferrograd c was killing me with heartburn and didn't take my pregnacare as was so violently ill!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ourmaris

what kind of pads have people packed??? the maternity ones feel like a mattress, i have heard that the purple always ones which are the most absorbant would do and would not make you feel so yuck (sorry cant think of a better way to describe it)

ourmaris wrote: »
    what kind of pads have people packed??? the maternity ones feel like a mattress, i have heard that the purple always ones which are the most absorbant would do and would not make you feel so yuck (sorry cant think of a better way to describe it)

I just got ones in superdrug but I think green ones for Chemist are meant to be the best. I was to only use always after a few days in case you need stitches I think the always one interfere with them??

Do get the maternity ones,you will be glad of the extra cushion after the birth,i just picked some up in boots.

Oh the joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I found the maternity pads so comfortable and cushioning first time round too. They're bulky for a reason!

I was advised to take galfer after I gave birth and it was horrible; it really upset my stomach. Something like floradix is a lot less harsh but I have no idea if you're allowed take it when pregnant.

Seven weeks until I'm due. I'm getting fed up of being pregnant now so it can't come soon enough. I've bought a few bits and pieces for hospital but no packing done yet. All the baby gros and vests are washed and ready though!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Am taking 2 spa tone along with my pregnacare, lots do red meat n spinach, I can't stomach the iron supplements at all.
    Hoping the next time I'm in my levels are up.

Bags packed :) and ready to go :)

• Advertisement

Bagheera wrote: »
    I found the maternity pads so comfortable and cushioning first time round too. They're bulky for a reason!

I was advised to take galfer after I gave birth and it was horrible; it really upset my stomach. Something like floradix is a lot less harsh but I have no idea if you're allowed take it when pregnant.

Seven weeks until I'm due. I'm getting fed up of being pregnant now so it can't come soon enough. I've bought a few bits and pieces for hospital but no packing done yet. All the baby gros and vests are washed and ready though!

Floradix was the other one midwife suggested. When I went to chemist I saw that I had to measure it out so chose the ferrogard c! I just looked at my preggers supplements they give me 17mg iron and we need 30mg if I take a dissolvable tablet that gives me 14mg (I think they will be easy on the stomach) that would give me 31mg. Does it work like this?
    I saw these in dunnes today. I will ask pharmacist :) I am a bit traumatised my how sick I was this week from the ferrogard c.

http://beelinehealthcare.com/buyproductdetail.aspx?productid=140

I definitely agree with all the posters about the pharmacy maternity pads for the few days after you give birth - the extra padding is much appreciated then!

Millem wrote: »
    I am taking pregnacare too!!! I got blood test done and iron was perfect but supposedly you need to stock up on it for delivery plus baby starts to store iron for first 6 months of life. I told midwife I was taking pregnacare but she said there isn't enough iron in them for third trimester. Sure enough I looked up on Internet and I think it was on nhs site that said in third trimester you need a good more I think a third more! I am due at gp in a week so will ask him!

Yes indeed, during the third trimester you not only need to have a decent level of iron but you need to have a decent haemoglobin reserve. My iron was fine but my reserve was low so now I take ferrograd twice a day (twins!).

Yes indeed, during the third trimester you not only need to have a decent level of iron but you need to have a decent haemoglobin reserve. My iron was fine but my reserve was low so now I take ferrograd twice a day (twins!).

I looked up my ferrograd and it gives 105mg of iron! I guess this is the stuff I really need :( I am going to try taking it again, hyperemesis still here so it is proving difficult :( I read it is not uncommon for women to have to take two a day! Especially if they start taking it late or multiple births! Are you taking it on empty stomach? Any tips?

Millem wrote: »
    I looked up my ferrograd and it gives 105mg of iron! I guess this is the stuff I really need :( I am going to try taking it again, hyperemesis still here so it is proving difficult :( I read it is not uncommon for women to have to take two a day! Especially if they start taking it late or multiple births! Are you taking it on empty stomach? Any tips?

No I take it with food and I also take a vitamin C tablet to help absorption (couldn't get the ferrograd c version in my chemists so taking them separately. I also normally eat a lot of iron rich foods like spinach/broccoli/rocket so my levels aren't usually too bad. The nurse even said my basic levels are fine but it's the reserves they want to improve.

The galfer apparently has even more iron in but can be harder on the stomach.

The only thing about the ferrograd is that it is slow release so a few times when I was sick it came up even an hour after taking it. If you are still suffering with hyperemesis perhaps it would be better to take something quickly absorbed and more often? Maybe ask your midwife what they recommend in that instance.

No I take it with food and I also take a vitamin C tablet to help absorption (couldn't get the ferrograd c version in my chemists so taking them separately. I also normally eat a lot of iron rich foods like spinach/broccoli/rocket so my levels aren't usually too bad. The nurse even said my basic levels are fine but it's the reserves they want to improve.

The galfer apparently has even more iron in but can be harder on the stomach.

The only thing about the ferrograd is that it is slow release so a few times when I was sick it came up even an hour after taking it. If you are still suffering with hyperemesis perhaps it would be better to take something quickly absorbed and more often? Maybe ask your midwife what they recommend in that instance.

She recommended ferrograd c!! I will try taking it before bed and see does that help :)

So sick of getting sick at this stage. Almost 33 weeks and sick most mornings and then feel crap most days. At this point in other pregnancies was totally loving been pregnant. Now im wishing i would go early and then feel guilty for that too!!!

rsl1976 wrote: »
    So sick of getting sick at this stage. Almost 33 weeks and sick most mornings and then feel crap most days. At this point in other pregnancies was totally loving been pregnant. Now im wishing i would go early and then feel guilty for that too!!!

I am the very same. Seriously can't be dealing with it at this stage. Sick of people telling me to eat ginger nuts!! Got sick outside a randomers house last week twice :( any shame has gone the window!!!! Lol. On the plus side maternity leave starts next week (even though I have been signed off sick from work since September). From a cash flow point of view I am looking forward to maternity benefit weekly as I get paid every two weeks!

I've been signed off since then too. Took voluntary redundancy so officially finish work this week. Watching One Born Every Minute earlier and I was so jealous :-) Going to get my bags ready tomorrow just on the off chance i go before January. Don't know why i am thinking i will. First baby came on due date and next one was 6 days over. Just wishful thinking i suppose:-)

• Advertisement

rsl1976 wrote: »
    I've been signed off since then too. Took voluntary redundancy so officially finish work this week. Watching One Born Every Minute earlier and I was so jealous :-) Going to get my bags ready tomorrow just on the off chance i go before January. Don't know why i am thinking i will. First baby came on due date and next one was 6 days over. Just wishful thinking i suppose:-)

All I can say is ONLY CHILD!! Couldn't cope with hyperemesis and a small child. Were you this sick on all your pregnancies? I think I am going to go early but midwife said last week expect to go 10 days over on your first pregnancy :( I just can't wait to eat proper food and for my OH to come home from work and me not be in pyjamas or in bed/lying on couch. Going to stop for milk is a struggle most days.

Advertisement