Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Was sick on both but not at this stage. In saying that they are 17 & 7 so could be just a case of memory loss. Dying for a nice meal and a very large vodka:-) this has defo been the toughest pregnancy i have had:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Was sick on both but not at this stage. In saying that they are 17 & 7 so could be just a case of memory loss. Dying for a nice meal and a very large vodka:-) this has defo been the toughest pregnancy i have had:-(

I am dying for egg mayo and coleslaw from superquinn!! And to be able to take a painkiller when I have a migraine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Millem wrote: »
    I am dying for egg mayo and coleslaw from superquinn!! And to be able to take a painkiller when I have a migraine!!

A bit of coleslaw won't kill you! I was avoiding it too but my doctor and midwife both said as long as it looks fresh and is bought somewhere you trust its fine. Just avoid some of the spar/centra places where it might be left sitting for hours.

I am really looking forward to a runny egg. Oh simple pleasures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Yep as long as coleslaw (or anything containing mayo) isn't homemade, it's fine. :) The homemade stuff may contain unpasteurised eggs; anything from the supermarket will be pasteurised.

I've been avoiding nothing, really, except alcohol. Looking forward to a nice cold glass of sauvignon blanc in a few weeks. :)

A bit of coleslaw won't kill you! I was avoiding it too but my doctor and midwife both said as long as it looks fresh and is bought somewhere you trust its fine. Just avoid some of the spar/centra places where it might be left sitting for hours.

I am really looking forward to a runny egg. Oh simple pleasures!

The storage is the most important thing. One word listeria!! All mayo (unless homemade) use pasteurised eggs. A lot of places the food is left sitting there and then the plonk new food on top of old stuff (total cross contamination)! At self service deli bars (like in superquinn) some people actually sticky their fingers in and pick at the stuff!! I actually witnessed my friend do it in superquinn (Vile vile) Midwife said unless you make it yourself (with the likes of hellmans) don't eat it. Like I am sure the majority of places are grand but I am just weird about food (maybe because I am a home ec teacher!!).

• Advertisement

The storage is the most important thing. One word listeria!! All mayo (unless homemade) use pasteurised eggs. A lot of places the food is left sitting there and then the plonk new food on top of old stuff (total cross contamination)! At self service deli bars (like in superquinn) some people actually sticky their fingers in and pick at the stuff!! I actually witnessed my friend do it in superquinn (Vile vile) Midwife said unless you make it yourself (with the likes of hellmans) don't eat it. Like I am sure the majority of places are grand but I am just weird about food (maybe because I am a home ec teacher!!).
    Yeah I know about the listeria. Even without being pregnant I am not inclined to buy from the salad bars. I tend to buy the pre-packaged stuff or buy from my local deli where I regularly see them put smaller amounts in the fridge and top up regularly. They serve you from the counter so again no grubby fingers or people sneezing on the food!

But why would you eat the stuff from there anyways then, even when you're not pregnant, if it's that bad? :confused:

Just got measured today for new bras. Have gone from a 36B to a 42C. Dreading what will happen after the birth:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

Just got measured today for new bras. Have gone from a 36B to a 42C. Dreading what will happen after the birth:-)

oh i need to be measured so bad but everyone tells me its a waste... i nearly feel like going bra-less at work it hurts so much somedays... once i finish up work ill be in pjs and no bra!! ha

I had been going braless because im at home most of the time but with xmas coming up said id better get one or two. Fit is perfect and she left enough room for the next few weeks too

• Advertisement

I bought SO MUCH baby stuff today! :eek: Just need to wash all the little baby clothes, then I'll finally be able to get my hospital bags packed and ready to go. :)

35 weeks today. I've been telling everyone I'm convinced I'll have the baby early, maybe over Christmas (I'm due 4th January.) Probably won't happen, and I'll look like a right eejit when my due date passes and no sign of a baby. :o

Anyone on maternity leave yet? My replacement has just started, I've got three weeks to train her in and then I'm finishing up on 20th December. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

12 Days and counting till im finished up,not officially on maternity leave until the 20th,but had holidays to use. Cannot wait!
    Think im almost good to go,got the bags packed. Got a few more clothes and nappies today,and reserved a baby bath in argos today so will collect that tomorrow,after that i think im done,although im sure ill think of something else to buy!

Oh and got a gym ball during the week so have been bouncing up and down on that the last few days,seems to be helping with my pelvis and back pain,so that's good.

Hope everyone is doin good xx

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I keep reading this thread to see how you are all doing:)
    I am not due until April but I have Jan 2009,2011 and 2013 babies:)) so it is odd being pregnant but not due over christmas.
    The last few weeks are hard but you are all nearly there.

Just discovered these today http://www.theprettycompany.com/shop/gownies/molly-gownie/
    They are fab! But completely overpriced!!! I already bought my bargain granny nightie in heatons for €3.50 which buttons to the knee!

Anyone see any decent clothes for xmas. Had a look online nothing jumping out at me. Don't really want to pay too much for something. Should i go for maternity wear or just something in a bigger size?

Anyone see any decent clothes for xmas. Had a look online nothing jumping out at me. Don't really want to pay too much for something. Should i go for maternity wear or just something in a bigger size?

I wouldn't have a clue as I am still in all my normal clothes! But I think asos have some nice maternity clothes and there is 20% off today! http://www.asos.com/Women/Maternity/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=5813
    Not much longer to go so I wouldn't spend a lot in either case!
    My friend did buy me a pair of maternity skinny jeans in penneys €15 in my normal size but they are way too big! But that is probably just penneys and their mad sizing!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

H & M usually have nice bits,and very reasonable,ill be checking there for a Christmas outfit first anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Just discovered these today http://www.theprettycompany.com/shop/gownies/molly-gownie/
    They are fab! But completely overpriced!!! I already bought my bargain granny nightie in heatons for €3.50 which buttons to the knee!
    How much???!! :eek: yeah think I'll stick with my €7 one from guineys thanks!
    Great idea though.

How much???!! :eek: yeah think I'll stick with my €7 one from guineys thanks!
    Great idea though.

I know they are insanely priced! I got my granny nightdress for €3.50 but in fairness I am sure what we are wearing will be the last thing on our minds when the time comes!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Six weeks until I'm due now. I've had a lot of morning sickness and back pain the last few weeks so the doctor has put me on sick leave for the rest of the pregnancy. I have to say I feel so relieved as I was finding work very tough. The crèche are ok with me putting my son down to three days a week from next week also, so I'm really looking forward to spending more time with him while at the same time having rest days!

I got a couple of bargain nighties in Penneys the last time and they're still in good condition so they'll be coming out again. I treated myself to a nice pair of M&S pyjamas for hospital also.

Got some nice maternity tops on newlook.eu and a dress for xmas. 3 tops 1dress and bracelet €67 and free delivery.

We did our antenatal class last night with the domino midwives. 1 hour and have another one next week :) they were absolutely brilliant but it really showed me that I really didn't have a clue about labour and positions!! They want you to be very active!! Lol lol some of the moves were crazy! I didn't even realise that the labour would last so long! Next week is the scary stuff tears, forecepts etc! Is anyone getting a TENS machine? The domino do a rental €20 for 4 weeks I think that is a good deal?

That's a really good rate for the TENS machine, I think in Boots it's closer to €50.00. I'd probably go for it at €20.00 myself, if I could ... €50.00 seems a bit steep though.

We had our last antenatal class the other day, where we watched a video of an actual birth in Holles St. The awful thing was, they showed it up-close-and-personal where the biggest part of the head was coming out, and it did look quite horrifically painful ... but what freaked me out even more was seeing what happened her stomach immediately after the baby came out, it collapsed in on itself, and suddenly she had all this extra skin there and nowhere for it to go! Of course I knew that's what happens, but it's scary to see the reality of it! :eek:

Everyone I've told has laughed at me about that - it's such a shallow thing to notice, and it's not like I even had a perfectly flat stomach before getting pregnant. :rolleyes: And I'm sure, when the time comes, the state of my tummy is the very last thing I'm going to worry about.

I still haven't decided about pain relief options. I'm ruling nothing out, and I'll make up my mind on the day based on how I'm feeling and what the midwife thinks. It would be lovely to get through with no pain relief, but if I need all the drugs, that's fine too! :D End result is the same anyways!

By the way, for any public patients who are apprehensive about sharing a ward after the birth. I was speaking to a colleague recently, who had her first two babies in Sweden (well known for their top-class medical facilities) and her third in Holles St. She said that Holles St was by far her best experience, and a big part of that was having the shared ward afterwards - she had a room to herself both times in Sweden. She said it was really lovely having the feeling of sisterhood and bonding, you've all just been through the same experience, and if you're struggling with the new baby you can see that others are too and that you're not alone. I don't know, it was just a much nicer way of looking at it! Rather than complaining about having to share a room, like most people do!

I'm 36 weeks now, still look only about 5-6 months pregnant most of the time, no one can believe it's so close for me! I'd love to go a little bit early. Only nine working days left for me!! :eek: :D

That's a really good rate for the TENS machine, I think in Boots it's closer to €50.00. I'd probably go for it at €20.00 myself, if I could ... €50.00 seems a bit steep though.

We had our last antenatal class the other day, where we watched a video of an actual birth in Holles St. The awful thing was, they showed it up-close-and-personal where the biggest part of the head was coming out, and it did look quite horrifically painful ... but what freaked me out even more was seeing what happened her stomach immediately after the baby came out, it collapsed in on itself, and suddenly she had all this extra skin there and nowhere for it to go! Of course I knew that's what happens, but it's scary to see the reality of it! :eek:

Everyone I've told has laughed at me about that - it's such a shallow thing to notice, and it's not like I even had a perfectly flat stomach before getting pregnant. :rolleyes: And I'm sure, when the time comes, the state of my tummy is the very last thing I'm going to worry about.

I still haven't decided about pain relief options. I'm ruling nothing out, and I'll make up my mind on the day based on how I'm feeling and what the midwife thinks. It would be lovely to get through with no pain relief, but if I need all the drugs, that's fine too! :D End result is the same anyways!

By the way, for any public patients who are apprehensive about sharing a ward after the birth. I was speaking to a colleague recently, who had her first two babies in Sweden (well known for their top-class medical facilities) and her third in Holles St. She said that Holles St was by far her best experience, and a big part of that was having the shared ward afterwards - she had a room to herself both times in Sweden. She said it was really lovely having the feeling of sisterhood and bonding, you've all just been through the same experience, and if you're struggling with the new baby you can see that others are too and that you're not alone. I don't know, it was just a much nicer way of looking at it! Rather than complaining about having to share a room, like most people do!

I'm 36 weeks now, still look only about 5-6 months pregnant most of the time, no one can believe it's so close for me! I'd love to go a little bit early. Only nine working days left for me!! :eek: :D

I think €20 is cheapest rate. You have to give a deposit of €70 and get €50 back the €20 is just to pay for new pads (they don't profit from it) and you get it for 4weeks! You need to ring them and ask for a lady called amanda. I don't think we are getting video. Our antenatals seem so condensed! Only 1 hour this week and probably the same next week! They seem sooo condensed compared to the normal ones. We get a tour of the delivery room (not the domino one as it was in use!). They want us to stay at home for as Long as possible before going in, I just hope I don't end up staying home too long. In fairness to the holles street dominos they were not like "you can't have an epidural" they encourage you to go without it! Are you going to go to the breastfeeding class? I think I might go next week as they keep asking me at my appointments if I have gone :)

Haven't really heard too much about the breastfeeding class, is that just a Dominos thing or can anyone go? I couldn't do Dominos as we live too far away from the hospital! Would definitely have wanted to do it otherwise.

I think the midwife for the antenatal classes did mention something about breastfeeding classes but I'd completely forgotten, I'll blame the baby brain. :o

Haven't really heard too much about the breastfeeding class, is that just a Dominos thing or can anyone go? I couldn't do Dominos as we live too far away from the hospital! Would definitely have wanted to do it otherwise.

I think the midwife for the antenatal classes did mention something about breastfeeding classes but I'd completely forgotten, I'll blame the baby brain. :o

I think the breastfeeding class is for everyone as they have been at to go since 12 week appointment! It is 1st friday of each month @ 12.45,
    2nd Thursday of each month @ 12.00, 3rd Tuesday of each month @ 18.00. It is meant to be very good :) I am going to try and go next Thursday as I don't think they cover any breast feeding at my antenatal classes.
    Just saw on my handout the breast feeding workshop is run by "lactation consultants" not the domino so it is Defo for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

:D

Not wanting to destroy the nice sentiment and bright outlook, but from experience, the sharing IS the worst bit.

In UHG, you share with 6 mothers plus babies. That's pure horrible, as you will NOT get any sleep, ever (speaking from experience. I had to be in for 5 days following a section, and it was a nightmare. As soon as one baby stopped crying, the next one started. Permanent ringing of the nurses, constant coming and going). 12 people in total, plus constant visitors is simply too much, and in my view completely detrimental to recovery...Also, with only one bathroom (and a tiny one at that, it gets messy).

I'd say sharing with 1 or two others, fair enough, but any more than that is just cruel (or as my gyno in Germany put it: 'we stopped such large wards back in the 60ies. 2 to a room is the max in any modern setting').

Sorry to be a spoilsport...

galah wrote: »
    Not wanting to destroy the nice sentiment and bright outlook, but from experience, the sharing IS the worst bit.

In UHG, you share with 6 mothers plus babies. That's pure horrible, as you will NOT get any sleep, ever (speaking from experience. I had to be in for 5 days following a section, and it was a nightmare. As soon as one baby stopped crying, the next one started. Permanent ringing of the nurses, constant coming and going). 12 people in total, plus constant visitors is simply too much, and in my view completely detrimental to recovery...Also, with only one bathroom (and a tiny one at that, it gets messy).

I'd say sharing with 1 or two others, fair enough, but any more than that is just cruel (or as my gyno in Germany put it: 'we stopped such large wards back in the 60ies. 2 to a room is the max in any modern setting').

Galah I would say it is a nightmare with so many woman and babies swished in ward. This is why I wanted to do the domino scheme as all going well (fingers crossed) will be discharged after 6-12 hours so won't have to sleep over. Everyone tells me I am mad and I will be wrecked and will need to sleep etc but I don't see myself getting much sleep in there!! A girl in work told me holles street only have 6 in a public ward now. I don't know how true that is! Had my 34 week scan today baby weighing in at 6lbs 4ozs!!! I was told that he could be a 10 pounder!! Don't know how I am going to manage to push him out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

galah wrote: »

My wife would strongly disagree with you galah. She absolutely loved being in a ward with other mammies, she had a natter with them when I wasnt there and due to being in quite a lot of pain after the birth she found sleeping hard anyhow so the noise didn't bother her.
    She told me she felt sorry for the women in the private rooms all by themselves. This time round she says she hopes they dont put her in the room with only a couple of other mums as she thought her day last time in the small room as very boring. So I guess its very much down to individual taste, some prefer more privacy and other enjoy a more shared experience I guess.
    The post delivery rooms had only six beds in Holles street last year but the predelivery ones had more.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement