Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I agree it's probably down to taste, I found it absolutely horrible sharing with so many people (granted, 3 out of the 6 women last time I was there had only very little to no English, there was a lot of turnover as the 'natural birth' ladies left as soon as they physically could, and I defo wasn't in the mood for chatting much either after a fairly traumatic birth, but still. I think I would have enjoyed the whole thing more with fewer people in the ward...I was so glad when they finally let me out!

But maybe the second time round it'll be more fun, since at least I'm a bit more prepared, know what to do (well, mostly ;-)) and what to expect :o

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I couldn't wait to get home on my last two pregnancies to be honest. Only in 24hrs on both. Do find the wards a bit chaotic but what can we expect with all the lovely new babies:-)

On a different note my xmas dress that i ordered online came today. Love it. Tried it on and for the first time in months actually felt a bit glam:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

rsl1976 wrote: »
    I couldn't wait to get home on my last two pregnancies to be honest. Only in 24hrs on both. Do find the wards a bit chaotic but what can we expect with all the lovely new babies:-)

On a different note my xmas dress that i ordered online came today. Love it. Tried it on and for the first time in months actually felt a bit glam:-)

Brill :) I have been living in track suit bottoms :( feeling a lot of pressure down below and waddle when I walk!!

Checkup and quick scan yesterday and doctor reckons baby is 7lb at 34 weeks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

me too!!!

34 weeks and my baby is seven pounds also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

37 weeks today - officially full-term! :D

*waits for waters to break, any second now ...*

Wouldn't it be great to go before Xmas :-)

I imagined a few pains last night and started to panic because i haven't collected the pram yet or the moses basket

Wouldn't it be great to go before Xmas :-)

I imagined a few pains last night and started to panic because i haven't collected the pram yet or the moses basket

My travel system was meant to be delivered yesterday, I took the day off work especially, but they messed up the order and now it won't be here til next week. :( We finally got the Moses Basket last weekend, just need to wash the sheets. I think my hospital bag is finally ready, so I'm good to go now whenever the baby is! :D

I'm having NO pains or pressure or anything else yet though, I think I'll be waiting a while.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

January babies always have an GAA advantage;)
    I loved my private room and private bath and shower,I hated sharing with 5 other people who never once spoke to me and whose husbands never left.
    I hated the showers in the corridor that we all had to share.

Rsl1976 and bean14 what size baby vests and clothes are you packing? 0-3 months? I reckon I will have a biggie too was 6lbs 4oz at 33weeks 6 days. I was planning on packing 0-1 months (up to 10lbs) but worried now they will be too small! Thank god I only have a few size 1 nappies! As doubt he will be in them for long! Have to finish off packing the bag!

• Advertisement

God will have to check what i have packed. I think it's 0-3months. Sitting here with a glass of ice water wishing it was a large vodka:'(

God will have to check what i have packed. I think it's 0-3months. Sitting here with a glass of ice water wishing it was a large vodka:'(

I am thinking 0-3 months too! My heartburn is killing me :( I hope they overestimated weight! Don't fancy pushing out a 10lber lol lol! Although doctor said your body will supposedly only produce a baby that it can push out!! Don't know how true that is though :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wouldn't worry too much about their estimated sizes,they are often miles out.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about their estimated sizes,they are often miles out.

Fingers crossed!! I suppose big scan at 38 weeks might give me a better idea! I nearly feel off the bed when doc told me! She went over my 3 big scans with all the measurements printed off and graphs and said he was always in the high percentiles! But now he is in more than 95th one? I was preparing for a 7-8lber not a 10 lber! It just goes to show bump size means nothing! People I don't know are always shocked when I tell them I am preggers! Or if I am buying something baby related they think I had the baby months ago! I suppose maybe one good thing is I probably don't have much weight to lose :)

Anyone got any ideas for where to get cheap flipflops this time of year? I tried penneys and dunnes, no luck. I was told it would be good to have them for the hospital showers.

Anyone got any ideas for where to get cheap flipflops this time of year? I tried penneys and dunnes, no luck. I was told it would be good to have them for the hospital showers.

Just had a quick google Debenhams have some for about €15

I have just packed my usual ones as couldn't find them either!! I can't find reusable heat packs that they told me to get!! You put them in microwave? Everywhere I look just has disposables :(

Just reading on another website about Raspberry Leaf Tea. Has anyone ever tried it or thinking of it on this one?

Just reading on another website about Raspberry Leaf Tea. Has anyone ever tried it or thinking of it on this one?

I did on all 3 and will again this time.
    I dunno if it worked or not but I had 3 quick straight forward births. 2 were a little quicker then I would have liked (33 and 32 minutes in labour)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I did on all 3 and will again this time.
    I dunno if it worked or not but I had 3 quick straight forward births. 2 were a little quicker then I would have liked (33 and 32 minutes in labour)

When will you start to take it? Did you go any earlier or were you over?

• Advertisement

Around 35 weeks I think, 38,39 and 41 weeks.

Think i might try it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just so you know it doesn't make you go into labour early, but it tones the uterus to make your contractions more effective during labour. It's supposed to be good, used it on my first but I was induced so I think the results were totally skewed.

January wrote: »
    Just so you know it doesn't make you go into labour early, but it tones the uterus to make your contractions more effective during labour. It's supposed to be good, used it on my first but I was induced so I think the results were totally skewed.

Yeah i thought so a few people said it did but how would you know:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Millem wrote: »
    I have just packed my usual ones as couldn't find them either!! I can't find reusable heat packs that they told me to get!! You put them in microwave? Everywhere I look just has disposables :(

what would you use them for? Labour? (just wondering, don't think that was on any of the lists I've seen - and the hopitals are usually badly overheated anyway if it's for comfort?)

Re raspberry leaf tea - took it from 35 weeks onwards last time, fat lot of good it did...still had to have an emergency section after labour didnt progress....Probably won't do any harm though.

Anyone else got massive sleep issues? I usually fall asleep very easily, but then wake up a lot with back pain, hip pain, babba doing samba classes, feet geeting stuck underneath my ribs, needing to pee, or heartburn. :mad: 5 weeks to go, thank feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Just crashing in from the Dec thread, kinda straddling both threads as due on the 29th.

I've taken raspberry leaf from periods before and have been drinking it on and off since week 35. A lot of people don't like the taste but I just add in honey and quite like it in the evenings. It does need to be leaf tea though as opposed to bagged and a tip I got was to steep it for 30 mins plus, I just make up a 2l flask of it in the morning and then drink it through out the day. I know a few people who swear by it but I have no reference point but sure might as well try it anyway.

I'm trying to find reusable heat packs too, gonna ask about just bringing in a hot water bottle at this point although not sure about the access to a kettle. Galah they are used to help with cramps, again I love my hot water bottle when I have period cramps so I think they should help with the early/mid stages

I saw an electrical heat pad today but I presume that is no use for when you are moving around! I was told I can bring a hot water bottle and they will make it up but they said heat pads are better just in case water bottle leaks! They have the disposable heat pads in hospital which they said they will me if I don't have mine! I actually was meant to ask today at my appointment about heat pads, totally forgot :( heartburn is killing me is anyone taking gaviscon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Might just leave it with the hot water bottle so, I don't have a microwave anyway so actually I'd only be able to use the heat pads in there anyway.

Yeah I've had to take gaviscon, it's rank but works.

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    Might just leave it with the hot water bottle so, I don't have a microwave anyway so actually I'd only be able to use the heat pads in there anyway.

Yeah I've had to take gaviscon, it's rank but works.

I bought some gaviscon but was afraid to use it until everyone told me I was mad :) those midwives are so nice they defo won't mind filling your water bottle! They told me to brill loads of maternity pads as they soak them in warm water and put them against you perineal area! Am soooooooo disturbed by all that carry on of tears and episiotomies! Apologies for TMI! Trying to blank it out. Must organise the TENS but am hearing mixed reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Started my maternity leave on Friday,was never so happy to walk out the door!
    Heart burn was killing me,couldn't sleep wink with it as i couldn't lay fully down,and couldn't eat much either past 7pm so my doc prescribed me romep,oh my god they are a life saver,have not had to take any rennies or gavisgon since i started takin them,would seriously be lost without them now.
    I found re heatable heat packs in my local chemist,and also boots in liffey valley.

Advertisement