Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Started my maternity leave on Friday,was never so happy to walk out the door!
    Heart burn was killing me,couldn't sleep wink with it as i couldn't lay fully down,and couldn't eat much either past 7pm so my doc prescribed me romep,oh my god they are a life saver,have not had to take any rennies or gavisgon since i started takin them,would seriously be lost without them now.
    I found re heatable heat packs in my local chemist,and also boots in liffey valley.

What do the reusable heat packs even look like? Are they in a box? Or have a brand name? The disposable things just look like a plaster / dressing. I say nurofen ones today but don't know are we allowed those?? As maybe they might have medicine in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

oh, I see what you mean now - I have an ice pack (filled with jelly-like substance) that you can also use in the microwave. Normal pharmacies/boots should have those for little money.

it defo wasnt on the list the last time...(must check with midwives this time, have the hospital bag pretty much packed, but maybe the list has changed.)

galah wrote: »
    oh, I see what you mean now - I have an ice pack (filled with jelly-like substance) that you can also use in the microwave. Normal pharmacies/boots should have those for little money.

it defo wasnt on the list the last time...(must check with midwives this time, have the hospital bag pretty much packed, but maybe the list has changed.)

Yep heat and cold packs are on list. That list is a bit mad! There is no mention of bibs or scratch mittens? Or blankets only a "shawl" for taking baby home!
    The coombe has a list on their site with loads on it! Maybe my list is a different list because you only stay in 6-12hours? I thought I would need sheet for swaddling? Or cellular blankets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Millem wrote: »
    Yep heat and cold packs are on list. That list is a bit mad! There is no mention of bibs or scratch mittens? Or blankets only a "shawl" for taking baby home!
    The coombe has a list on their site with loads on it! Maybe my list is a different list because you only stay in 6-12hours? I thought I would need sheet for swaddling? Or cellular blankets?

I'm not sure swaddling is recommended any longer, which would explain why it's not on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

My Moses basket arrived today. So excited :-)

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    I'm not sure swaddling is recommended any longer, which would explain why it's not on the list.

Really? I know someone who a baby recently in rotunda and the midwives swaddled the baby. I got those "swaddle me" things :( I was comparing my list to coombe and they have way more stuff on it! Bibs aren't even on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SeventySix

Swaddling wasnt recommended in CUMH for my first (16 months ago) but one of the midwives swaddled my little one when ever she was on duty.

What are the heatpacks for?

I still havent packed but I have most of the stuff I need bought, just not put together. I am only bringing the basics. Will send OH/family out for anything else.

SeventySix wrote: »
    Swaddling wasnt recommended in CUMH for my first (16 months ago) but one of the midwives swaddled my little one when ever she was on duty.

What are the heatpacks for?

I still havent packed but I have most of the stuff I need bought, just not put together. I am only bringing the basics. Will send OH/family out for anything else.

The rules seem to change the whole time! At breastfeeding class the lactation consultation was going on how lovely it was to fall asleep with your baby (tummy to tummy). But then a girl put up her hand and said she thought baby had to lie on their backs! I think teacher forgot the new guidelines, because she then said actually just have Moses basket up beside your bed and put baby in straight away with feet to bottom of basket and on their backs! And then started taklking about SIDS. The midwife defo swaddled in the rotunda though it was during the summer. The heat packs are to help with your pain/cramps :)

Millem wrote: »
    The rules seem to change the whole time! At breastfeeding class the lactation consultation was going on how lovely it was to fall asleep with your baby (tummy to tummy). But then a girl put up her hand and said she thought baby had to lie on their backs! I think teacher forgot the new guidelines, because she then said actually just have Moses basket up beside your bed and put baby in straight away with feet to bottom of basket and on their backs! And then started taklking about SIDS. The midwife defo swaddled in the rotunda though it was during the summer. The heat packs are to help with your pain/cramps :)

When I was in before it was hard enough getting two seconds off a midwife/assistant to ask a question or get my medication, let alone send them off to microwave a heat pack or get a cold pack.

When I was in before it was hard enough getting two seconds off a midwife/assistant to ask a question or get my medication, let alone send them off to microwave a heat pack or get a cold pack.

Did you not get your own midwife for your labour in delivery room? I am just going by what they told me in holles street the midwife only leaves you for change in shift, they don't leave you by yourself. Anyway you could use the heat packs at home for the start of labour?

• Advertisement

WEll i did but that was when i was actively pushing. For my first there were 6 of us in the induction room labouring away. I only got moved to a delivery room when i needed to start pushing. During labour I was monitored but I didnt have a dedicated midwife until the very end and she wasnt someone I had seen before. I thought you meant the packs were for post labour back on the wards, during which time the midwives were very busy.

WEll i did but that was when i was actively pushing. For my first there were 6 of us in the induction room labouring away. I only got moved to a delivery room when i needed to start pushing. During labour I was monitored but I didnt have a dedicated midwife until the very end and she wasnt someone I had seen before. I thought you meant the packs were for post labour back on the wards, during which time the midwives were very busy.

They want us to stay at home till 3cm!! So when we go in we should just go to delivery room! They told us about that ward I think there is like 12/13 beds in it!! The midwives I have are so nice I honestly have never meant people who love their jobs more. There are 14 of them but I have only met half of them so far as I joined late. Hopefully I will get to meet the rest before labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I'm 36 weeks now and they reckon the baby is around 6.5lb. I'm happy enough with that weight; my first was just under 7.5lb at full term and that's big enough!

Regarding heat, I just stood in the shower lots with hot water running on my back and that helped a bit during my first labour. I found the tens machine irritating after a while. Eventually when they decided to put me on oxytocin I opted for the epidural which was heaven after several days of pain!

I really need to get my bag organised. I have it kind of packed but there are a few things still missing. Second time around I'm a lot more complacent!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭moodswing

Im 37 weeks today!! :D

Now I just need this little guy to stay in until Christmas and my other little sons 2nd birthday( Stephens Day) are over then he can feel free to arrive any day he wants

I found the warm shower in Holles Street in early labour really helpful - I didn't know we were allowed those heat packs though so might look in to packing some!

Looking forward to hearing about everyones little ones arriving safely over the next few weeks :)

Bagheera wrote: »
    I'm 36 weeks now and they reckon the baby is around 6.5lb. I'm happy enough with that weight; my first was just under 7.5lb at full term and that's big enough!

Regarding heat, I just stood in the shower lots with hot water running on my back and that helped a bit during my first labour. I found the tens machine irritating after a while. Eventually when they decided to put me on oxytocin I opted for the epidural which was heaven after several days of pain!

I really need to get my bag organised. I have it kind of packed but there are a few things still missing. Second time around I'm a lot more complacent!

Found the obi tens machine on amazon for around (£30) €37 was going to order it but might not bother if getting in and out of shower it will be too annoying! I have about 4 1/2 weeks to go and can't wait for it all to be over. My back is in bits, find it hard sleeping and stupid hyperemesis still here, am hyper emotional and woke up with a sore throat and runny nose :( I am worn down, never again !

Hubby just informed me of an early xmas pressie. One hour pregnancy massage on Saturday morning. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Hubby just informed me of an early xmas pressie. One hour pregnancy massage on Saturday morning. :-)

Sounds fab, enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

We'll 37 weeks today...
    All great so far..
    Always being told baby is head down and was happy but then today doctor isn't happy that it's not further down!!
    reckons hospital will scan me Monday...
    That's not breach so any ideas what it means?...:confused:

Baby was breech last week. Lots of movement today and feeling lots of pressure in the bum area today so hoping baby has turned and the pressure now means head is engaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Mine's been head down for weeks now, head's still not engaged yet though.

• Advertisement

Mine's been head down for weeks now, head's still not engaged yet though.

Yeah mine keeps moving position just hoping the pressure might mean something because the thoughts of possibly having a section scares the life out of me:O

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

I've always said that what's meant to be will be, as for the next 18 years or so I won't be the one deciding what happens but have had such a good pregnancy so far...I'm due 8th Jan.Anyone any idea how far they let you go before deciding about a section??

Have to admit I'm a wee bit down after the docs today...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

try to keep positive leitrim lady, your nearly there. i know being pregnant is hard work and the hormones are all over the place. im jealous of you. im two weeks behind so 35 weeks. take care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I've always said that what's meant to be will be, as for the next 18 years or so I won't be the one deciding what happens but have had such a good pregnancy so far...I'm due 8th Jan.Anyone any idea how far they let you go before deciding about a section??

Have to admit I'm a wee bit down after the docs today...:(

In galway it's 10 days before they induce, doesn't mean you'll get a section though...they 'give you the opportunity for a natural birth'...we had all these fun things on our first, baby's head never really engaged, he was at a funny angle during labour which meant labour didn't progress, but instead of a section then, the y gave me oxytocin to encourage contractions, which had a negative effect on baby...ended up with an emergency section, very traumatic....could have saved me a lot of trauma if they'd sectioned when they realised baby s had wasnt engaging at all. But they never scanned either...

Anyhoo, just my story, hope it works out for you!

I went 10 days over. I was to be induced but I sort of had started so I just got my waters broken. She was crossways most of the pregnancy and only went head down in the last week or so and the head wasnt engaged until labour but no one had ever seemed worried about it. My labour was long but not traumatic for either of us.

I post on another forum and 3 January mammies have had their babies already. Feeling envious:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

rsl1976 wrote: »
    I post on another forum and 3 January mammies have had their babies already. Feeling envious:-)

I think I'm one of the three! Welcomed my little girls yesterday afternoon at 2.35pm & 2.37pm by planned c section. Awestruck would be a pretty good word for how I feel right now. Sore and tired after it all but totally elated.

I think I'm one of the three! Welcomed my little girls yesterday afternoon at 2.35pm & 2.37pm by planned c section. Awestruck would be a pretty good word for how I feel right now. Sore and tired after it all but totally elated.

Congratulations Hello Lady! Delighted for you hope you are all doing well :D

Is anyone else measuring bigger than their dates? I went to the GP yesterday at 37+1 and she said I'm measuring 40 weeks and that baba is all ready to come out. (Don't feel so bad about all those people asking me was I overdue now ;))

Im back in Holles St on Tues morning so going to see if they can get an idea of size then but just wondering if they will consider inducing early if he is measuring big?

• Advertisement

Oh wow so happy for you. Congrats!!!! It is a wonderful Xmas present for you:-)

Advertisement