Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Thanks January, when she did mini scan today she said all was fine and I assumed if there had been a problem they'd scan me sooner than next week. It just took me by surprise when she said it and she had left the room before I could ask her.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Hello again lads and ladies..
    Had hospital yesterday at 39+1 and first time to see doc since week 16 as I've been attending midwives until now.Anyway been told baby wasn't engaged last few weeks and that hasn't changed but lovely young female doctor wasn't worried in the slightest.Only new thing is she reckons I'm having a BIG baby.!!!She was chatting about how women are designed to be able to naturally deliver a baby they have grown but sometimes it's just not to be.And as this is my first we haven't tested my pelvis before.Really nice to have a doctor talk normally.
    Has put me in for a scan to check the size and now have that next Thursday just before I'm due back at hospital.Im attending Sligo by the way and scans aren't done except around week 20 if all is well.Its funny because over dinner New Year's Day we were guessing size of baby and I said 7lb7oz...DReAMLAND...haha..

Anyway just thought I'd share my scary news.:o...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hello again lads and ladies..
    Had hospital yesterday at 39+1 and first time to see doc since week 16 as I've been attending midwives until now.Anyway been told baby wasn't engaged last few weeks and that hasn't changed but lovely young female doctor wasn't worried in the slightest.Only new thing is she reckons I'm having a BIG baby.!!!She was chatting about how women are designed to be able to naturally deliver a baby they have grown but sometimes it's just not to be.And as this is my first we haven't tested my pelvis before.Really nice to have a doctor talk normally.
    Has put me in for a scan to check the size and now have that next Thursday just before I'm due back at hospital.Im attending Sligo by the way and scans aren't done except around week 20 if all is well.Its funny because over dinner New Year's Day we were guessing size of baby and I said 7lb7oz...DReAMLAND...haha..

Anyway just thought I'd share my scary news.:o...

I had a scan at 34 weeks and he was 6lbs 6oz so they reckon he will between 9 and 10lbs I nearly fell out the bed! They keep telling me your body wouldn't make a baby you can't push out!!!! Blah blah blah! But gp asked me the other day if they were going to let me go for the full 40 because of babies size. He is more than 95th percentile on basically everything! So who knows. I am not exactly big myself! On another note, could someone please explain Braxton hicks? I never had them before until today I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

If it makes you feel any better I was told the same. Doctor asked me yesterday what size previous babies had been. First was 6lb12oz and second was 8lb and she said "oh this baby will be more than that" so i was shocked. They told me at 34 weeks baby was 7lb so i guess i should have expected it.

rsl1976 wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better I was told the same. Doctor asked me yesterday what size previous babies had been. First was 6lb12oz and second was 8lb and she said "oh this baby will be more than that" so i was shocked. They told me at 34 weeks baby was 7lb so i guess i should have expected it.

I am just hoping they were wrong! My Midwives don't seem bothered! They say those scans can be wrong!

• Advertisement

Braxton Hicks is the stomach contracting just to prepare you for the real thing. It would be more uncomfortable whereas real contractions will be painful. You should feel your tummy tighten every so often

Millem wrote: »
    I am just hoping they were wrong! My Midwives don't seem bothered! They say those scans can be wrong!

Mine didn't seem bothered either. But then again she is not the one that has to push it out:D

Blah blah blah...I'm with you there sister...
    Am thinking that if nothing happens before Thursday after the scan they might see about getting me to either stay or return later to get things going.Id be 40+1 at that stage.Have always said I'd love to go natural but if a c-section was best then it was best.
    Just hate the thoughts of a longer recovery especially as himself heading away for work a few weeks after baba arrives.Needs must!
    Im 6ft myself so it's probably not really a surprise to the doctors.Big surprise to me and my bits though..:P

Braxton Hicks is the stomach contracting just to prepare you for the real thing. It would be more uncomfortable whereas real contractions will be painful. You should feel your tummy tighten every so often

I have started going for big walks and it's like I get "a stitch". Haven't gone yesterday or today because of weather but got "a stitch" today lasted for maybe 5 mins but then nothing. Are these "stitches" Braxton hicks?

I have started going for big walks and it's like I get "a stitch". Haven't gone yesterday or today because of weather but got "a stitch" today lasted for maybe 5 mins but then nothing. Are these "stitches" Braxton hicks?

Doesn't sound like it but i could be wrong. How far along are you. I'm 37+2 and only really feeling them now. The stitch could be just baby sitting somewhere. I am finding when I walk now that it's very painful down below and there was a lot of (sorry tmi alert) discharge today and i'm getting little pains every now and then since last night so i'm hoping something is happening even though yesterday they said baby was not engaged:(

Sorry just saw you are 39+1

• Advertisement

Doesn't sound like it but i could be wrong. How far along are you. I'm 37+2 and only really feeling them now. The stitch could be just baby sitting somewhere. I am finding when I walk now that it's very painful down below and there was a lot of (sorry tmi alert) discharge today and i'm getting little pains every now and then since last night so i'm hoping something is happening even though yesterday they said baby was not engaged:(

Sorry just saw you are 39+1
    I am around 38 weeks :) I am hearing you on the pain down below and discharge. I feel like a cripple even getting out of bed! braxton hicks are still a mystery to me so :) I just push myself walking cos I am literally traumatised if I go overdue. Gp seems to think I will have baby before my next appointment with him. I wish! Can't handle the vomiting and heartburn anymore, actually have a tear in oesophagus :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Don't worry too much girls.
    I was told my 1st was going to be big,she was 7lb 4 ,my friend was told hers was about 8lb and was 11lb 3 and 60cm.

11lb3!!!!
    Sure that's half raised....

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Don't worry too much girls.
    I was told my 1st was going to be big,she was 7lb 4 ,my friend was told hers was about 8lb and was 11lb 3 and 60cm.

This is what I am hoping for :) just want him out at this stage am really struggling.

Suppose we can all talk and talk until the cows come home but sooner or later(sooner preferably though!) we'll learn our fate.....and just roll with the punches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I was told at a scan a week ago (39 weeks) that he was about 6 pounds 13 ... so I'm not expecting a massive baby. I think his head circumference was quite big in the scans though ... ouch! :eek:

Re. the Braxton Hicks contractions, I've been getting them a lot the past few nights. For me it's just my tummy going really hard to touch, but they're not at all painful. I'm hoping that the fact they're coming more often means that something's going to happen soon! No pains or pressure or anything yet, though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

He was huge!!
    The size that 2 of mine were at 6 weeks!!
    Thinking of you all again ,this time last year I was 8 days over due and just wanted it over!!!
    My not so small baby is 1 tomorrow,I can not believe he will not be a baby anymore.

I was told at a scan a week ago (39 weeks) that he was about 6 pounds 13 ... so I'm not expecting a massive baby. I think his head circumference was quite big in the scans though ... ouch! :eek:

Re. the Braxton Hicks contractions, I've been getting them a lot the past few nights. For me it's just my tummy going really hard to touch, but they're not at all painful. I'm hoping that the fact they're coming more often means that something's going to happen soon! No pains or pressure or anything yet, though.

I would worry more about a huge head then a heavy baby!!!
    I have never had Braxton Hicks,dunno if that is good or bad:)

Ok I never got Braxton hicks. I wonder do you have to get them? I have lots of pressure and felt rotten all day like I was getting my period. I am just worried that I could be in labour and not realise. Although everyone tells me this is not possible!

He was huge!! .

Think we're gonna have to ask you to stop posting here...;)
    Never thought Id had those Braxton Hicks due to no pain but if they can be when your tummy hardens and the likes I've definitely had them this last week.It gets quite pointy at times too.Probably just a big BUM!Taking after a family member there..haha!

• Advertisement

I would worry more about a huge head then a heavy baby!!!
    I have never had Braxton Hicks,dunno if that is good or bad:)

Haha it's not totally huge, think it was about 65th percentile ... nothing crazy!

Still seems crazy that we have to squeeze something so big out of such a small space, though. :/ But I'm sure it's doable ... or else no one would ever have more than one baby!

. or else no one would ever have more than one baby!

That's what I keep telling myself.In the last year I've had a good few female friends have babies.It ranges from 5lb5oz to 9lb 7oz and 3 hours from waters breaking to birth to 14 hours with failed forceps and emergency c-section....I've heard it all...Just unsure what my story will be yet.:o

Everyones story is different and even with each baby it is different.My 1st labour from 1st pain to holding baby was 7 hours with about 2 in actual labour and my last was about an hour from 1st pain and 32 minutes in labour.
    What I will say is have your mind made up about what you want when you go in and be prepared to stand up for yourself and make sure who ever is with you is well briefed too.
    2 of mine had huge heads!!and the 3rd one was the hardest labour.
    Soon enough it will be over and the little babies are so worth the 9/10 months of suffering that come before.

This is most definitely my last baby though!

What I will say is have your mind made up about what you want when you go in and be prepared to stand up for yourself and make sure who ever is with you is well briefed too..

I really have no decision made about this. :o I'd like to have a go at doing it without any pain relief, but I'm not going to be a martyr about it at the same time, if I need an epidural or whatever I'll take it.

It's hard to know when I've never been through it before and don't know what to expect ... I'll probably be a lot more decisive on my next one, when I've had some experience!

Really hope I get a nice midwife on the day who might be able to help me with the decisions. My boyfriend's no help, he'll just tell me to take aaaaall the drugs. :rolleyes:

Talk to your midwife or consultant about it on your next visit and discuss the options.
    There will always be other deciding factors too,I had 2 births that even if I wanted pain relief I could not have had it as they were 2 quick,and I told them in an emergency to do anything to keep me and baby safe which luckily has not happened to me.
    Make sure they know who has power of attorney to make decisions in an emergency too (if you are not married).

I really have no decision made about this. :o I'd like to have a go at doing it without any pain relief, but I'm not going to be a martyr about it at the same time, if I need an epidural or whatever I'll take it.

It's hard to know when I've never been through it before and don't know what to expect ... I'll probably be a lot more decisive on my next one, when I've had some experience!

Really hope I get a nice midwife on the day who might be able to help me with the decisions. My boyfriend's no help, he'll just tell me to take aaaaall the drugs. :rolleyes:

I had to laugh in ante natal classes as someone asked about writing their birth plan, the midwife basically told her they do whatever is best for baby so you can't be refusing the suction things or forceps etc. they told us the epidural delays it as you can't move around and then you are more likely to need interventions. Now this could be a big massive lie from domino midwives as they want natural births! Lol lol My OH gives me no sympathy whatsoever and tells me I should take some tips from one of our dogs who never complained when she had 8 pups!!:mad:

I had epidural on first and nothing on the second and if im honest i would prefer nothing this time as well only because i felt much better afterwards. It was also a very quick labour so i had no choice.

I had epidural on first and nothing on the second and if im honest i would prefer nothing this time as well only because i felt much better afterwards. It was also a very quick labour so i had no choice.

I am aiming for no epidural as I couldn't cope with side effects if they put it in wrong. I know it is extremely rare but it happened to my sister and it was actually scary. I just keep saying to myself 24 hours of torture (hopefully less!). The midwives told us that everyone toilets during labour from all the pushing which disturbed me as I thought if you didn't have epidural that wouldn't happen! But I am over it now I am sure they are well used to it !

I am aiming for no epidural as I couldn't cope with side effects if they put it in wrong. I know it is extremely rare but it happened to my sister and it was actually scary. I just keep saying to myself 24 hours of torture (hopefully less!). The midwives told us that everyone toilets during labour from all the pushing which disturbed me as I thought if you didn't have epidural that wouldn't happen! But I am over it now I am sure they are well used to it !

I am more afraid of an epidural then childbirth.

Not everyone does but it happens and that is just part of it.

• Advertisement

I am more afraid of an epidural then childbirth.

Not everyone does but it happens and that is just part of it.

That's it I am sure they don't even bat an eyelid! The thoughts of an epidural scare me too! As do tears I asked at antenatal class why don't they just give one of those episiotomies? Midwife said she would prefer episiotomy over 2nd or 3rd degree tear! I have not done that massage thing down below to stretch area so I am hoping I don't tear!

Advertisement