Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'm 14 days over on Saturday week (IF I get that far, hopefully not) ... I wonder do Holles St do inductions at weekends, or will they bring it forward a couple of days so it's during the week? I'm sure I'll find out at my appointment on Friday anyways! I want an end date!

Ended up in hospital today because I couldn't feel the baby moving at all. Everything was fine though, except my blood pressure was crazy high (again!), it settled down after a couple of hours though so they let me home.

They said I couldn't feel him moving because of his position and the position of the placenta - same thing happened at about 30 weeks. I felt like a right eejit when we could clearly see him moving on the scan, but I couldn't feel a thing. :o As the doctor said though, always better to be safe than sorry, and they'd rather you come in several times a week with all false alarms, than to sit at home and ignore lack of movement ... especially at this stage.

Cannot wait till the baby is out of me so that I can actually see him and know that he's ok, instead of worrying all the time!

Fingers crossed you little guy will be here by weekend :) I tried to convince myself my baby will appear too in the next few days but my OH kept insisting that at ante natal classes they said that first time babies are ALWAYS overdue :( vomiting still horrendous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

My boyfriend has a rugby match he wants to go to on Friday week. So I reckon I'll wait and have the baby around about then. :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Millem wrote: »
    Fingers crossed you little guy will be here by weekend :) I tried to convince myself my baby will appear too in the next few days but my OH kept insisting that at ante natal classes they said that first time babies are ALWAYS overdue :( vomiting still horrendous

My 1st was my earliest:) so keep hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

My first came on due date. Second was 6 days over. Hoping this one is not over.

On a different note am typing this on my phone and takes forever cos of fat fingers :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

id a check up an scan today. all well. ive to go back next at 39 weeks for an internal examination and sweep. are they the same thing? im dreading it. would love to go before that. wishful thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

bean14 wrote: »
    id a check up an scan today. all well. ive to go back next at 39 weeks for an internal examination and sweep. are they the same thing? im dreading it. would love to go before that. wishful thinking!

No, an internal exam can just check to see how you're getting on. A sweep, they actually sweep their fingers around the neck of the cervix, it's to move cells to try and get labour going.

You know that you don't have to agree to either if you do not wish to so do your research and see if you actually want either done :)

My boyfriend has a rugby match he wants to go to on Friday week. So I reckon I'll wait and have the baby around about then. :P

Lol :) I was informed yesterday of a rugby match this Saturday! And to tell the baby not to make an appearance then! Am feeling "yucky" like I am going to get my period. I hope it is a sign.

Ooooh I've heard that period type cramps are definitely a sign!

I've had nothing like that. I had what I'm certain was a proper contraction yesterday - big hard tummy like with BH contractions, but very painful as well - but nothing else since.

I've a hospital appointment in the morning, if they offer a sweep, I'll definitely go for it. Would rather that than an induction. :( And I really don't feel like things will get moving anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

We'll 40+1 today...
    Had scan and they reckon baby is approx 7lb 12oz and I'm happy with that.was offered a sweep but decided to abstain.Heard a few negative things so had my mind made up.
    On the plus side I'm booked in for induction next Thursday.Well I've to go in Thursday and they do the gel Thursday night.Just praying I go myself before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

thanks for that information. I will go with a sweep if i can get it. anything that will help i will take with both hands!! my scan yesterday showed the baby was 7 pounds. good luck everyone

• Advertisement

I just realised, ten days in and we've had no babies born in 2014 yet, have we?!

Not on this forum. Im on another site and everyday it seems babies are appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Well not from me anyway :-( im 8 days over due now.

Definitely have a lazy baby on my hands!

I'm six days over now. On the train on the way to my hospital appointment now, getting bad cramps, wondering how people would react if my waters broke in the middle of a crowded rush hour train. :D

I thought something was happening last night. Woke up with the pains in my back (period like) and lots of nausea. But then it went away :( then had a nightmare about breastfeeding that the baby was born with adult teeth!! I just realised I actually don't know how to make up formula or even what brand just in case breastfeeding doesn't work out!

I thought something was happening last night. Woke up with the pains in my back (period like) and lots of nausea. But then it went away :( then had a nightmare about breastfeeding that the baby was born with adult teeth!! I just realised I actually don't know how to make up formula or even what brand just in case breastfeeding doesn't work out!

I have about five bottles of the pre-made Aptimel stuff, just in case. At least if I do end up needing it, it just needs to be heated up, no mixing or anything. Hopefully the breastfeeding will work though ... I'm just too lazy to be arsed with sterilising and bottles etc! :o

I woke up last night and was sure the bed was soaked, went to the loo convinced my waters had broken, but nothing. Went back to the bed and of course it was completely dry! :rolleyes:

Yeah i keep having little false alarms too,ill get a pain and be like ok that pain was at this time so ill see how many minutes till the next pain and then nothing!!!

I think in most hospitals they have formula already made up to buy in packs,in little bottles too so you don't have to make it up,then I guess when your out its just a case of buying that brand in powder and following the instructions,i think i heard someone say the other day that for every ounce of water its one scoop of powder.

To be honest if I do end up bottle feeding I am going to treat myself and buy that tommee tippee machine that makes the bottles up! It's like a coffee machine just press the button! When amazon had an event not too long ago and it was sooooo cheap :)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Nature-Perfect/dp/B00BG6304A
    I bought the steriliser and bottles already just in case! I remember when my sister was bottle feeding (over 10 years ago) it seem like torture making up those bottles, boiling the kettle/cooling/measuring but she tells me the rules have changed now :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Neither had I but the hospital provided it for top ups for the 1st few days:)

Well, no real news from the hospital. I'm booked in for a detailed scan at 12 days over and then they'll induce at 14 days over, if nothing's happened by then.

The head is fully engaged now. I wasn't offered a sweep, and didn't ask. I definitely feel like things are moving along now, so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Well no real news from the hospital. I'm booked in for a detailed scan at 12 days over and then they'll induce at 14 days over, if nothing's happened by then.

The head is fully engaged now. I wasn't offered a sweep, and didn't ask. I definitely feel like things are moving along now, so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Yeah I got the exact same at my appointment on tuesday, back next Tuesday for the scan and then induce after that if nothing has happened between now and then!

I really dont want to be induced, would prefer to go naturally, ive heard induced labours can take a really long time!

Oh well I guess we will just have to hang in there Chattastrophe!!!

Yeah I feel the same about induction. We were told at the antenatal classes that a third of inductions end up with a C section ... I have no problem with a C section if it was planned in advance, but an emergency section after 2-3 days of induction/labour would be the worst case scenario for me!

I really do feel like things are happening though. I've been having a "show" the last couple of days, and I'm getting loads of strong crampy pains today in my back and stomach. Fingers crossed!

Yeah I feel the same about induction. We were told at the antenatal classes that a third of inductions end up with a C section ... I have no problem with a C section if it was planned in advance, but an emergency section after 2-3 days of induction/labour would be the worst case scenario for me!

I really do feel like things are happening though. I've been having a "show" the last couple of days, and I'm getting loads of strong crampy pains today in my back and stomach. Fingers crossed!

I am very confused over a "show" does it come in one go? Or over a few days? If over a few days how do you know if it's not coloured? Or does it have to have blood? Sorry now if this a bit TMI!

I am very confused over a "show" does it come in one go? Or over a few days? If over a few days how do you know if it's not coloured? Or does it have to have blood? Sorry now if this a bit TMI!

OK apologies in advance if this is TMI for anyone reading it. :o:D

For me it started earlier on in the week, as very thick white discharge ... I'd describe it as jelly-ish. I'd notice it when wiping after going to the loo, you couldn't really miss it.

Then today and yesterday, I've been having more of the same, but now it's streaked with brown/red. The doctor told me today that the blood is a good sign that the cervix is changing and preparing itself - she said it's still a show even if there's no blood in it, but if there's a small bit of blood it's more likely that labour will start sooner rather than later.

She said to call the hospital straight away if I got any significant amounts of bright red blood (I've had nothing like that, though.)

Even when it was just white, though, I definitely don't think you'd mistake it for anything else. It's very thick and gloopy, not like any discharge I'd have had before. Having said that, it's nowhere near as disgusting as I expected it to be (doing a Google Image search for it a few weeks back was a big mistake, I was dreading it!)

From what I've read, it's totally normal to get it in one big lump too, or some people don't get it at all until they're already in labour.

I never thought of google images! Just looked it up there and I don't have that yet :(

I never thought of google images! Just looked it up there and I don't have that yet :(

I'm sure it's different for everyone though! Mine looked absolutely nothing like what was showing up in the Google search ... but it was still pretty unmistakeable, at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

at our ante natal class the midwife said the 'show' can sound like a PLOP when using the toilet so there be no mistaking that... so excited although not due for 5 weeks (February) :):)

38 weeks today loads of little pains that seem to have stopped now. So frustrating!!!!

rsl1976 wrote: »
    38 weeks today loads of little pains that seem to have stopped now. So frustrating!!!!

I still have that dull ache in back it has been coming and going since yesterday. Still vomiting dreadful. Bring on this labour can't wait to be able to eat food :) and not vomit :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

OK apologies in advance if this is TMI for anyone reading it. :o:D

For me it started earlier on in the week, as very thick white discharge ... I'd describe it as jelly-ish. I'd notice it when wiping after going to the loo, you couldn't really miss it.

Then today and yesterday, I've been having more of the same, but now it's streaked with brown/red. The doctor told me today that the blood is a good sign that the cervix is changing and preparing itself - she said it's still a show even if there's no blood in it, but if there's a small bit of blood it's more likely that labour will start sooner rather than later.

She said to call the hospital straight away if I got any significant amounts of bright red blood (I've had nothing like that, though.)

Even when it was just white, though, I definitely don't think you'd mistake it for anything else. It's very thick and gloopy, not like any discharge I'd have had before. Having said that, it's nowhere near as disgusting as I expected it to be (doing a Google Image search for it a few weeks back was a big mistake, I was dreading it!)

From what I've read, it's totally normal to get it in one big lump too, or some people don't get it at all until they're already in labour.

Looks like baby should be making an appearance for you soon enough!

Advertisement