Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Sooner rather than later! :eek: William was born at 00:14 today weighing seven pounds three ounces. He's a cutie! :o

Labour was fast and furious, speeded up by Oxytocin (due to meconium in the waters.) I was probably only in established labour for three hours ... sounds great, but God it was sore. Pushed him out then with around 3-4 contractions, that was the easy part by far! Going from 0-10cm in a couple of hours was hell.

Anyways he's here now. :D I'm completely lost as to how to look after him though! :o I'm sure that will come with time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sooner rather than later! :eek: William was born at 00:14 today weighing seven pounds three ounces. He's a cutie! :o

Labour was fast and furious, speeded up by Oxytocin (due to meconium in the waters.) I was probably only in established labour for three hours ... sounds great, but God it was sore. Pushed him out then with around 3-4 contractions, that was the easy part by far! Going from 0-10cm in a couple of hours was hell.

Anyways he's here now. :D I'm completely lost as to how to look after him though! :o I'm sure that will come with time!

Big massive congrats :) delighted for you. Fingers crossed I won't be waiting too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

congratulations. i fell asleep last night wondering would you have your baby over the weekend. delighted for you. hope your not too sore. congrats again

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

That's great news!! Congratulations! x

By the way, I was at home when my waters broke, and they ACTUALLY made a big POP sound! :eek: I heard it a few seconds before I felt it. That was one thing I wasn't expecting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Huge Congratulations! :D

By the way, I was at home when my waters broke, and they ACTUALLY made a big POP sound! :eek: I heard it a few seconds before I felt it. That was one thing I wasn't expecting!

Chattastrophe did you go straight in after waters broke? Or did you wait at home for a while? I just can't wait till it's my time :) baby William was a lovely size the seemed to be spot on with his scan! This has me worried about pushing my bruiser out lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Same happened when my waters broke on Ellen, big pop and I made it to the loo before it gushed!

Congratulations, fast labour! Hope you and William are doing well. How did you get to hospital in the end?

You'll get used to looking after him! Trust yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

So happy for you. Congratulations x

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Brilliant news chattastrophe. Let the fun begin now!

I'm due in 3 days and feeling very impatient! I think I just presumed because it's my second I might go early but not looking likely at moment. I've been power walking every day along with trying some homeopathic stuff and reflexology. My husband is a bit skeptical but it's worth trying. On my first I had a show and all at this stage and he was 4 days late, but I've had no signs so far. I'm hoping that's because everything will happen more quickly second time around. I'll have to wait and see!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

aww,at least you know that you are at the end.
    38,39,41 were mine,it got longer every time!!! but the labours got shorter.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    aww,at least you know that you are at the end.
    38,39,41 were mine,it got longer every time!!! but the labours got shorter.

I would take an easier labour any day if it means waiting a bit longer, the first one went on for a long time and ended up with an episiotomy and forceps. I'm not the most patient person in the world anyway, and my family are not helping by ringing me wondering if anything is happening constantly. As if I wouldn't let them know straight away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bagheera wrote: »
    I would take an easier labour any day if it means waiting a bit longer, the first one went on for a long time and ended up with an episiotomy and forceps. I'm not the most patient person in the world anyway, and my family are not helping by ringing me wondering if anything is happening constantly. As if I wouldn't let them know straight away :)

I ended up turning my phone off on my first... it wasn't a smart phone at the time so didn't really need it on... The other times it was on but on silent so let ring out if anybody rang and texts weren't answered until after the birth either. Facebook and boards were a god send those other times though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think the 1st was the easiest labour it was the longest at about 3 hours,2nd was about 33 minutes and 3rd about 32. The 2nd was the hardest as it was just too quick by the 3rd I knew baba would be here from 1st pain within the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Congrats, great stuff! ;-) let the baby fun begin!

With our first, the waters broke first, and contractions only started about 4 hours later or so. At least I didn't have to sit here counting contractions, the thought of that still scares me - be afraid I'd miss something and end up having the baby either in the house (who'd want to clean up???) or in the car stuck in traffic -we live a good bit in the countyside, and it could take an easy hour to get to hospital at the wrong time...:eek:

Hope it's the same for this one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Aaaaahhhhhh Im seriously cracking up...my emotions are ALL over the place.Today is 40+3 and I DON'T feel/see an end in sight even though all booked if I DON'T go by Thursday.i feel like crying for no reason and actually do have a wee weep when Im on my own.This waiting game is no fun.:-(

Aaaaahhhhhh Im seriously cracking up...my emotions are ALL over the place.Today is 40+3 and I DON'T feel/see an end in sight even though all booked if I DON'T go by Thursday.i feel like crying for no reason and actually do have a wee weep when Im on my own.This waiting game is no fun.:-(

Aw don't get upset, the baby has to come out at some stage. If nothing happens in the next couple of days do something nice for yourself like going for a massage. Or go out for a nice lunch, or both! As much as I want my baby to come, I'm trying to enjoy my last few days before the madness begins. Look after yourself x

Lots of cramps overnight but nothing too severe, then a show this morning. I'm getting pretty hopeful now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Lots of cramps overnight but nothing too severe, then a show this morning. I'm getting pretty hopeful now!!

Fingers crossed for you! Hoping the same for myself! 10 days over now.

Millem wrote: »
    Chattastrophe did you go straight in after waters broke? Or did you wait at home for a while? I just can't wait till it's my time :) baby William was a lovely size the seemed to be spot on with his scan! This has me worried about pushing my bruiser out lol :)

Millem when my waters broke, they were clear, and my contractions were 12-15 minutes apart, so I planned to go info the hospital a couple of hours later when my boyfriend got home ... I was guessing they'd just check me and send me home anyways.

Then about half an hour later, I got another gush of waters, and this time there was meconium. Not enough to panic me, but definitely there. So I decided I'd better go on ahead in. My contractions were coming ten minutes apart when I got into the taxi ... with rush hour traffic, it took about 45 minutes to get to the hospital, and by then my contractions were coming about 3-4 minutes apart, but the pain was totally bearable.

The midwives didn't believe me, either about my waters breaking or about the contractions, until they examined me! I was grand, walking and talking through the contractions. I guess that was the problem, because even though they were getting longer and closer together, they weren't strong enough and had barely started dilating.

Anyways because of the meconium and because my blood pressure was high, they decided to give me Oxytocin. They told me that almost everyone who gets it ends up needing an epidural. I said that I was fine with that - my original "plan" was to try for a natural birth, but I knew that I'd probably need an epidural if I was induced. However I told them that, if I was going to get one, I would rather get it sooner rather than later. My logic was that, if I was going to have the risks associated with an epidural, might as well get maximum benefit from having it. They said we'd see as things progressed.

So the Oxytocin kicked in very quickly ... however my own contractions had started to kick in much stronger too, and I'd already gone from 0-2cm very fast on my own. I was already asking about the epidural, but they were tracking the baby's heartbeat (by a trace and with the clip on his head) and it took them a while to be happy enough with it that they would arrange the epidural. That's one thing that bothered me all the way through - they kept saying things like "Baby's not happy" or "Baby's not liking that", without any real explanation, and it got to the stage were I was just not physically able to ask them to explain. If I went again, I'd make it clear at the start that I'd like to know exactly what's going on ... I understand about decelerations etc, it's not going to panic me, but I hated not knowing exactly what was going on.

So all of a sudden I was 5cm, and the pain was just beyond anything I could imagine. They finally brought in the anasthesist to do the epidural at this stage, and I had to sit with my legs open leaning forward without moving for fifteen minutes. Can't even describe the pain.

And then the anasthesist left and I was 10cm and ready to push. Not a chance of the epidural having any effect at that stage! But the pushing was fine, it was easy compared to everything that had come before. I just remember the midwife saying she was about to do an episiotomy when the head was coming out ... she traced the scalpel over where she was about to do it to check that I couldn't feel it, but I could, clearly! So she gave me a local anaesthetic.

It was very weird feeling it coming out. You can clearly feel the shape of the head, and then the body slithering out. There was nothing like One Born Every Minute, when they get to the end and are all like "No big pushes, just breathe the baby out" ... at this stage, they really wanted him out ASAP so it was all big massive pushes as fast as possible.

And then he was out, and he was fine ... bawling crying, thankfully! He was put in an incubator for about 20 minutes, but all OK. The epidural probably kicked in around when the placenta was coming out, but even then I didn't really notice a difference.

I didn't have a birth plan, and I'm glad I didn't, because the above wouldn't have been it! But it could've been much worse, too. It's hard to know what I would have done differently. I do think that, in hindsight, the Oxytocin was unnecessary - but sure neither myself or the midwives knew that at the time, and you couldn't ignore signs that the baby was distressed. I kinda wish I'd been firmer about getting the epidural early if I was getting it at all - but look, it did me no good but at least I've no side effects from it, so no harm done.

I think the main thing is to manage your expectations, and realise that it mightn't go the way you expect and that certain things might be out of your control. E.g. I had been planning on trying on a natural birth - however the minute I saw the meconium in the waters, I decided I'd basically go with everything the hospital advised, with the goal of just getting the baby out of me and making sure he was OK.

Anyways that's how it went for me, maybe not according to plan, but the end result was a healthy baby, so I'm happy! :)

• Advertisement

Millem when my waters broke, they were clear, and my contractions were 12-15 minutes apart, so I planned to go info the hospital a couple of hours later when my boyfriend got home ... I was guessing they'd just check me and send me home anyways.

Then about half an hour later, I got another gush of waters, and this time there was meconium. Not enough to panic me, but definitely there. So I decided I'd better go on ahead in. My contractions were coming ten minutes apart when I got into the taxi ... with rush hour traffic, it took about 45 minutes to get to the hospital, and by then my contractions were coming about 3-4 minutes apart, but the pain was totally bearable.

The midwives didn't believe me, either about my waters breaking or about the contractions, until they examined me! I was grand, walking and talking through the contractions. I guess that was the problem, because even though they were getting longer and closer together, they weren't strong enough and had barely started dilating.

Anyways because of the meconium and because my blood pressure was high, they decided to give me Oxytocin. They told me that almost everyone who gets it ends up needing an epidural. I said that I was fine with that - my original "plan" was to try for a natural birth, but I knew that I'd probably need an epidural if I was induced. However I told them that, if I was going to get one, I would rather get it sooner rather than later. My logic was that, if I was going to have the risks associated with an epidural, might as well get maximum benefit from having it. They said we'd see as things progressed.

So the Oxytocin kicked in very quickly ... however my own contractions had started to kick in much stronger too, and I'd already gone from 0-2cm very fast on my own. I was already asking about the epidural, but they were tracking the baby's heartbeat (by a trace and with the clip on his head) and it took them a while to be happy enough with it that they would arrange the epidural. That's one thing that bothered me all the way through - they kept saying things like "Baby's not happy" or "Baby's not liking that", without any real explanation, and it got to the stage were I was just not physically able to ask them to explain. If I went again, I'd make it clear at the start that I'd like to know exactly what's going on ... I understand about decelerations etc, it's not going to panic me, but I hated not knowing exactly what was going on.

So all of a sudden I was 5cm, and the pain was just beyond anything I could imagine. They finally brought in the anasthesist to do the epidural at this stage, and I had to sit with my legs open leaning forward without moving for fifteen minutes. Can't even describe the pain.

And then the anasthesist left and I was 10cm and ready to push. Not a chance of the epidural having any effect at that stage! But the pushing was fine, it was easy compared to everything that had come before. I just remember the midwife saying she was about to do an episiotomy when the head was coming out ... she traced the scalpel over where she was about to do it to check that I couldn't feel it, but I could, clearly! So she gave me a local anaesthetic.

It was very weird feeling it coming out. You can clearly feel the shape of the head, and then the body slithering out. There was nothing like One Born Every Minute, when they get to the end and are all like "No big pushes, just breathe the baby out" ... at this stage, they really wanted him out ASAP so it was all big massive pushes as fast as possible.

And then he was out, and he was fine ... bawling crying, thankfully! He was put in an incubator for about 20 minutes, but all OK. The epidural probably kicked in around when the placenta was coming out, but even then I didn't really notice a difference.

I didn't have a birth plan, and I'm glad I didn't, because the above wouldn't have been it! But it could've been much worse, too. It's hard to know what I would have done differently. I do think that, in hindsight, the Oxytocin was unnecessary - but sure neither myself or the midwives knew that at the time, and you couldn't ignore signs that the baby was distressed. I kinda wish I'd been firmer about getting the epidural early if I was getting it at all - but look, it did me no good but at least I've no side effects from it, so no harm done.

I think the main thing is to manage your expectations, and realise that it mightn't go the way you expect and that certain things might be out of your control. E.g. I had been planning on trying on a natural birth - however the minute I saw the meconium in the waters, I decided I'd basically go with everything the hospital advised, with the goal of just getting the baby out of me and making sure he was OK.

Anyways that's how it went for me, maybe not according to plan, but the end result was a healthy baby, so I'm happy! :)

O far play to you! I just keep hoping my baby will come soon (even though I am not overdue yet!). I am not able for the pressure pains in pelvis or vomiting anymore! Don't know how I will cope in labour! Are you home yet?
    How is the feeding going?

Millem wrote: »
    O far play to you! I just keep hoping my baby will come soon (even though I am not overdue yet!). I am not able for the pressure pains in pelvis or vomiting anymore! Don't know how I will cope in labour! Are you home yet?
    How is the feeding going?

I had planned on breastfeeding, and was trying all day yesterday, but he really didn't seem to be taking much from me. Then there was a bit of a panic last night when they checked his blood sugar and it was way low, and he ended up spending last night in the ICU ... so he's been on bottles since last night, and is taking them no problem, and his blood sugar is fine now.

We're still trying to figure out if I'm going to try for at least combined feeding. Right now I'm leaning towards bottles, just so I can be sure he's getting enough, but I don't know. Need to make a decision soon though. I really thought I'd have no problem with feeding - I've been leaking every day since I was 16 weeks pregnant, but now it seems to have all disappeared!

Anyways we'll hopefully get home tomorrow, would have gotten home today except for all that.

I had planned on breastfeeding, and was trying all day yesterday, but he really didn't seem to be taking much from me. Then there was a bit of a panic last night when they checked his blood sugar and it was way low, and he ended up spending last night in the ICU ... so he's been on bottles since last night, and is taking them no problem, and his blood sugar is fine now.

We're still trying to figure out if I'm going to try for at least combined feeding. Right now I'm leaning towards bottles, just so I can be sure he's getting enough, but I don't know. Need to make a decision soon though. I really thought I'd have no problem with feeding - I've been leaking every day since I was 16 weeks pregnant, but now it seems to have all disappeared!

Anyways we'll hopefully get home tomorrow, would have gotten home today except for all that.

I am just looking into bottles, the original plan was to breastfeed but sure you know yourself maybe it won't work out! I have bought a steriliser and bottles! If i do bottle feed I am Defo buying that tommee tippee machine! Meant to be amazing and makes a bottle in 2mins to the perfect temperature!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

One of my babies had low blood sugar and had to go to to NICU too. While there they fed her like a froi gras goose! They also have her a soother so by the time she was back with me she had the habit of just sucking without feeding which made getting her to latch on or even take a bottle difficult. Then add a few days of bad colic and breastfeeding went out the window! When they were so cranky there was no way they would put any effort in themselves to latch on and wanted a bottle immediately if not sooner! So after two days of being bottle fed exclusively they simply refused to breastfeed.

I had always planned on combined feeding as I knew there was no way I could manage to breastfeed two babies! So now I am expressing milk and feeding them by bottle. My milk is still building up, and it takes patience as it's slower than if I could get them to latch on.

I would recommend getting a decent breast pump and be disciplined to express every day. Easier said than done sometimes!

Hello Lady what pump would you recommend?

I basically have to decide between renting the hospital grade pump at E75 a month, or buying a normal electric pump. I was planning all along on buying the Medela Swing (around E170) ... the lactation consultant said it's a very good pump, but I'd need the hospital grade pump if I'm expressing fulltime.

I'm thinking I'll just go with the Medela Swing, keep trying with getting him latched on (maybe will work better at home), and if not, go with combined feeding.

Still in hospital till tomorrow. Want my own bed sooo bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I got the amdala double pump - meant to be as good as the medela swing. I chose it because it's a double. I can't really say how good it is just yet as I am still building up my milk flow but it seems good. Ask me again in a few weeks when I have had a proper chance to use it.

Where are you renting your hospital grade one from? I was told a price of €150 per month so €75 is great. Wondering might it be worth me renting a hospital grade for a few weeks until my milk is fully flowing - given that I'm already behind schedule due to pumping exclusively.

The Medala swing is great,it is worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Time is just dragging in. After getting a few days break from MS its now back. Feeling rotten today and not sleeping properly at all so napping during the day because i seem to sleep better when hubby is not in the bed. Tried the raspberry leaf tea it is disgusting. My due date is 24th but dating scan has me at the 18th so wondering when hospital will class me as over

I went for the Medela Swing, and just tried it - delighted with it. I was afraid it mightnt be strong enough as my milk is still only coming in, but I got twice as much out of it as I did in any of my feeds in hospital earlier today - and just managed my first breast milk only feed! :)

HL the Holles St lactation consultant gave me that price - not sure if you rent it directly from them or what.

I'm so happy I gave expressing a go - the first couple of times, I was LITERALLY only getting 3-5 drops - so disheartening, but I'm glad I stuck with it. :) He's still not latching on, but I'm doing plenty of skin-to-skin time, and the PHN is coming out tomorrow and I'm going to one of the Holles St breastfeeding groups on Thurs morning, so I'm hoping I might still get it working. If not, I'll probably just keep pumping - it's really not as bad as I expected. :)

Got home from hospital today. Holles St is mental busy at the moment. Extra beds on all the wards, so obviously no privacy if you need to be examined etc, as the curtains can't be fully pulled around. Got kicked out of my bed early and ended up having to express in someones office (with her in there) ... awkward! Sure what can they do I guess, it's not like they can control when babies are born.

William is sooo good, he's got a perfect routine and only cries when he wants to be fed etc, he's making things so easy for me. :) I really hope this lasts, but I doubt I'll be that lucky!

Hope those of you still waiting aren't waiting much longer. Just think, you're nearly there, and your babies are getting bigger and stronger inside you every day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

We'll I'm due at hospital Thursday afternoon to be admitted for induction.Gonna do absolutely nothing tomorrow..
    Will probably be the last time in a long long time that I can plan that..:D

Advertisement