Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Woooo Hoooo great news.
    Thrilled for you
    Am also wondering if it's twins for me too, I'll know in 10 days so might benjoining you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Crushed Dry Ice

TWINS!!! :D:D:D
    Probably means I should move to the due dec 13 thread, as multiples rarely go full term.

Delighted isn't the word! (And a little bit petrified too!)

Congratulations, how do you know so early that it's twins?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

i was thinking the same!
    Congrats anyhow, great news

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Balmed Out wrote: »
    i was thinking the same!
    Congrats anyhow, great news

Scan confirmed at 7w5d that there are 2 sacs, 2 yolks and 2 perfectly sized fetuses. As I am pregnant following IVF, I have had early scans. I was meant to have one at 6 weeks, but had trouble arranging it (as it is not the norm here) and the earliest appointment I could get was yesterday when I was 7 weeks, 5 days.

Even at 6 weeks, sac and yolk development can be seen on a scan and although there are still many things that can change, it is a good indicator if the pregnancy is viable.

There they were yesterday, little tiny hearts beating away like no body's business. We then had a doppler and heard the hearts thumping away like drums.

It is mind blowing to think that at a size of 6.6mm and 7.1mm that they have a heart and you can see this little black flicker on the screen. Not even a centimetre in size! Totally awestruck. It is still very early days, and development of both is not certain, just as there are no certainties in any pregnancy, but they are strong and viable and please god all with go well for both my little blobs!

I would say for anyone who is anxious or worried, an early pregnancy scan costs €95 and if it puts your mind at rest it is money well spent. I feel so much more relaxed now that I know both little blobs are developing well. My morning sickness and stress was causing my IBS to flare up badly - I still feel far from 'well' but I'm not as stressed as I was a week ago and I notice a definite, if not total, improvement in my IBS. Stress can be so detrimental to you and your baby/babies, so if you are worried, and can afford it, get a scan. The minute you see those little hearts, its like suddenly a wave of relief floods over you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

Congratulations HelloLady, that's wonderful news! May I ask what symptoms you're experiencing please? I'm 6 weeks too and apart from occasional pangs of nausea and sore breasts, would hardly be aware I'm pregnant, which is slightly disconcerting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Ciarabear wrote: »
    Congratulations HelloLady, that's wonderful news! May I ask what symptoms you're experiencing please? I'm 6 weeks too and apart from occasional pangs of nausea and sore breasts, would hardly be aware I'm pregnant, which is slightly disconcerting!

Hi ciarabear

This is my second pregnancy and I have the same symptoms as you. I was a lot more nauseous and bloated on my first. I'm counting it as a blessing! Everyone is different so I wouldn't worry. I found with my first that the reality didn't really hit me until I had my first scan.

Ciarabear my main symptoms are extreme bloating and very painful and sick-making gas trapped right under my diaphragm. I also get the occasional wave of nausea where I dry retch, but no vomiting so far (thank god).

I had very mild and manageable symptoms up to about week 6, then that week the IBS symptoms got worse and really uncomfortable, but mid-way through week 6 and to now the IBS is awful. A new symptom is I am very out of breath and struggling to feel like I am getting air in. My oxygen levels are perfect, so I am getting the air in, it just doesn't feel like it. I am breathing quicker, which is quite tiring and my heart is beating faster. This is all part of being pregnant I know, but as it is twins these symptoms are more pronounced. The tiredness is really starting to get to me, finding I need a little cat nap in the afternoons, but I haven't told work yet, so I am sneaking down to the car to have a snooze at lunchtime! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Guest1111

Ciarabear: I'm almost 8 weeks with the second one and the only symptom I had is that I am really tired. I wouldnt worry though, for the first, I had sore boobs and was really tired and thats all. As Bagheera said I everyone is different.

Thanks guys, I guess I'm a little concerned as this is my first baby and have no idea what to expect so am curious about other people's experiences. It's reassuring to hear that other women are feeling/not feeling similar things.

HelloLady, I can very much identify with feeling breathless. I initially thought it was in relation to having high blood pressure (which I do) but apparently rising progesterone levels are also responsible -an afternoon nap sounds like the perfect remedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

Hi all. I am due January 28th from my calculations. I am nervous as my first pregnancy ended in miscarriage in January but hoping this one will be successful. The only symptom I have is the same as last time which is the need to pee a lot. I began to feel nausea from four week from last time so hoping it won't be too bad this time. Congrats to all here and hopefully next January we will all have happy and healthy babies.

• Advertisement

Congrats Susie, thats great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ourmaris

Hi guys i am due in jan too havent been to my doctor yet i have an appointment in 4 days. Anyway I was just wondering in your first doctors appointment what did the doctor check for. I tried to get an appointment with a female doctor but she is on maternity herself, want to be prepared if there is going to be poking and prodding :p

your first appointment with your GP is really just to let them know you are pregnant. You will then fill in the HSE form for your maternity care. The doctor might decide to do a urine test (mine didn't as I had blood results with my BHcG) to confirm pregnancy. I had my blood pressure taken and then the doc gave me a few leaflets about do and don'ts and advice. We had a chat about deciding what hospital options I wanted to go with (public/semi-private/private) and how the combined care with the hospital and GP works.

Unless your doctor has scanning facilities or specific ON/GYN facilities (which many don't) then it is really just a basic check up to let them know you are preggers! A blood test possibly to check your hormone/folic acid/iron levels, but that's about it. No poking or prodding of any sort.

congrats on your good news and I hope all goes well for you! :)

Merrilady wrote: »
    Woooo Hoooo great news.
    Thrilled for you
    Am also wondering if it's twins for me too, I'll know in 10 days so might benjoining you

What has you wondering Merrilady? were you like me and had IVF, or is it just intuition, or increased symptoms?
    Let me know how you get on with the scan! would be great to have another multiple mammy to bounce ideas off!

Hello Lady - I'm an IVF'er like you :D
    That's the only reason :)
    I will know in 8 days.
    The waiting is killing me, I wouldnt be the most patient person in the world and I normally hate surprises so this is putting manners on me let me tell ye.

Super Congrats to the newbies that joined the board this week :D

I am also laughing reading the symptoms posts, as I thought that was only me. I feel like I have a Hangover if truth be told ... a little nauseous, and lots of mood swings, I can also smell things from around the corner :rolleyes:

I will know in 8 days.
    The waiting is killing me, I wouldnt be the most patient person in the world and I normally hate surprises so this is putting manners on me let me tell ye.
    would you not book an early scan - I wasn't quite 7 weeks when I had mine. The fact that you know exactly the date of conception helps a lot too, when it comes to them sizing the sac, yolk and fetus. I had an internal scan and it was all clear as day. I originally thought I would have to wait til this week cos I couldn't get an earlier appointment, but was lucky to get a cancellation at Mount Carmel.

The enormity of the situation is only really sinking in! When they asked do you want one or two embryo's implanted, I was all, TWO OF COURSE, but now that it has worked (and I never really expected it to!) I'm kinda like 'holy crap! two babies'! lol I was really only thinking about the end result of instant family, I didn't really give the double pregnancy any thought at all! Very naiive of me I know! But sure if I'd thought about it too much, I might not have done it, so it all worked out in the end!

Let me know if its one hitch-hiker or two - I'll be dying to know! :)

Is anyone else getting a full feeling? I feel constantly stuffed even when hungry which is most strange

The enormity of the situation is only really sinking in! When they asked do you want one or two embryo's implanted, I was all, TWO OF COURSE, but now that it has worked (and I never really expected it to!) I'm kinda like 'holy crap! two babies'! lol I was really only thinking about the end result of instant family, I didn't really give the double pregnancy any thought at all! Very naiive of me I know! But sure if I'd thought about it too much, I might not have done it, so it all worked out in the end!

Let me know if its one hitch-hiker or two - I'll be dying to know! :)[/QUOTE]

I hear ya :)
    Scan is next week so I don't mind .. Dunno if I'll be able to sleep on Monday night :)

Is anyone else getting a full feeling? I feel constantly stuffed even when hungry which is most strange

YES! I am constantly feeling full with gas and empty with hunger at the same time. I can't tell if eating something will help or make it worse. But I am trying to eat every hour or so - even just something small like a banana or a few crackers. If I go too long without food the hunger gets worse and then I'm sick with hunger and my gas gets intolerable. Waking up in the morning is when it is worst, as it is at least 8 hours since I would have last eaten. My GP advised getting hubby to bring me something small to eat before even getting out of bed and he said this sometimes help the initial sickness and dizziness. So the last couple of weeks I've been sitting in bed eating a banana and a yoghurt or a cup of tea and slice of bread. I do think it helps somewhat. But by the time I get to work I'm starving again, but sick with the hunger and gas and don't want to eat, but force myself to. It sucks. :(

ok, whinge over!

Hello Lady - One big strong heart beat seen and heard yesterday

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Congratulations Merrilady! It must have been great to hear a little heartbeat -you're 7/8 weeks now? I've got an early scan booked for Saturday and feeling increasingly nauseous by the minute! Is anyone else feeling pinching sensations quite a lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I guess I may as well start posting here!

I'm due 4th January. Had a scan yesterday in Holles St to confirm the EDD, all looking good, was lovely to hear the heartbeat. :)

I'm getting lots of nausea but thankfully not much puking (so far!) Absolutely wrecked all the time - feels like I'm constantly hungover. And I'm showing already. :o Even though I've actually lost half a stone since I found out, I've definitely developed a noticeable little bump, have even been asked when I'm due! Would love if it wasn't so noticeable already, as I'm not even quite ten weeks yet.

Can't wait for the twelve-week mark. :) I'm told the second trimester is great, lots more energy etc ... fingers crossed that'll be the case! Can't really complain though - I think I've gotten off pretty lightly so far with morning sickness etc! It's just the exhaustion is killing me!

Congrats Merrilady glad to hear all is going well. I am going for an early scan next week. I will be almost eight weeks by then. Will it still have to be an internal scan I wonder? Had one of those at the time of the miss and it was far from a fun experience

I had an external scan at 6w2, it was decided to do an internal too to see the heartbeat as you couldnt that early externally. Also at 9w2 had an external and could see everything. You could be lucky Susie.

Merrilady - great news!!!

Suzie I had an internal scan at 6w5d and it was fine. Not at all as uncomfortable as other scans I had during the IVF, they don't seem to need to 'poke around' as much. And the benefit of the internal scan is that you don't need a full bladder!!

I had another scan today and there they both still were - little hearts beating away. But I need to go back next week for another internal scan as the external ones don't give enough detail at this stage and they want to be sure that both babies have their own placenta (DiDi twins). Although it is likely that the twins are due to two embryo's being successfully implanted, there still is a chance that one of the embryo's didn't make it and the remaining one spilt. So I need to get all that checked out next week.

But I am feeling really great yesterday and today (despite my uveitis eye condition flaring up), not too much nausea at all, so I am feeling very positive at the moment and I am CERTAIN the babbies will be DiDi!

Positive thinking!!!

Susie - It was an internal as it was in the IVF clinic, it was grand tbh. Sorry to hear about your bad experience
    Tlachtga - Welcome and Congrats :) Some days I think I'm showing but I'm not :rolleyes: its just bloody gas and indigestion
    Ciarabear - Good Luck on Saturday, I thought I was going to die of anxiety beforehand, but it was great. I'm 7.5 weeks (.5 of the week is terribly important ye know )

Hello Lady - Great news :P

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I had to go for an early scan at 6w3d because of bleeding and I was surprised at how non-invasive the internal scan was. Much easier than a smear test!

I'm over 8 weeks now and I have had the odd bad day with nausea but as long as I eat sensibly and regularly it seems to be under control. I'm so so tired though! On my first I was able to have a snooze when I got home from work; not an option this time round with a busy two year old!

Some days I think I'm showing but I'm not :rolleyes: its just bloody gas and indigestion

Well I am definitely starting to show! I got weighed yesterday and I am only 1 kilo (less than 2.5 pounds) more than I was pre-IVF, so I think I have probably lost weight on other parts of the body, but my belly is huge! I thought I was imagining it about loosing weight elsewhere, but a jacket that was previously tight across the back and arms is now fine - except that it won't close at the front! lol My trousers are hanging at my bum, but just about making it closed at the tummy. I give it another week or two and I won't have any trousers that fit. I wore a dress yesterday (cos of the heat and being in for a scan I thought it would be handier), and I definitely had a bump that could be seen in it.

It's probably to do with it being twins that I am showing so early. I wasn't a skinny girl to start with, but what was previously the muffin top look is now definitely a bun in the oven look. I was a bit shocked at first as I haven't told workmates etc and I am sure they will notice soon, but on the otherhand, it is nice for once when people look at you and think you are preggers that you are in fact preggers and not just a greedy mare! lol

• Advertisement

Hello lady - 2 things,
    Ye bloody wagon for loosing weight everywhere (except the bump) I CANNOT stop eating !!
    No, its not crap, but Mother of God if it doesn't stop soon E4 will make a documentary about me I'll be so big :eek::eek:

Yaaaaay for a Bump :):)

I cant wait for mine

Advertisement