Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

About to head in now. My wife is just afraid they'll send us home as thats what they did on our first. But don't think the contractions where as intense as these when she was told to go home.

Best of luck, my wife is on labour since about 11am, all ok so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

About to head in now. My wife is just afraid they'll send us home as thats what they did on our first. But don't think the contractions where as intense as these when she was told to go home.

Hope you went in! I was hesitant about going in as I went to hospital too early on my first. However this time I arrived at the hospital and had my little boy just over 3 hours later. I'm so glad I went in as I was in agony and feeling quite panicky. As soon as I got in everything went smoothly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

One thing for the hospital bag that I didn't think of - a notepad and pen, for recording things like feeds, wet and dirty nappies, etc. You'd be amazed how the hours and days blur into each other when you're in hospital, especially if you end up staying a little longer than planned. It's great to have all the info in front of you, also the nurses and doctors always ask for it.

Handy also for making lists of things to buy, things to get the OH to bring in, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

great advice about the notebook. laughed about the oh lists. i broke his heart telling him what to bring in and stuff to do before i got home. im still in hospital and the various days and nights totally run into one. also im getting wonderful advice from the midwives so i write that down also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

One thing for the hospital bag that I didn't think of - a notepad and pen, for recording things like feeds, wet and dirty nappies, etc. You'd be amazed how the hours and days blur into each other when you're in hospital, especially if you end up staying a little longer than planned. It's great to have all the info in front of you, also the nurses and doctors always ask for it.

Handy also for making lists of things to buy, things to get the OH to bring in, etc.

I remember getting a chart for this on my second in the Coombe but not in the Rotunda. We had to fill in how many mls they drank (if not b/feeding) or how long they were on the breast, and if they had had a wet/dirty nappy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have absolutely no memory of any of it.
    i am sure there is probably a phone app for it though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

January wrote: »
    I remember getting a chart for this on my second in the Coombe but not in the Rotunda. We had to fill in how many mls they drank (if not b/feeding) or how long they were on the breast, and if they had had a wet/dirty nappy.

In the Rotunda they just ask you fill in a register on the baby's chart. Not sure if normally the midwives fill this in, but the midwives told me I could fill it in myself so I did otherwise it got hard to keep track with two.

I also downloaded a great app which allows you to track feeds, nappies, breastfeeds (and how long on each breast), expressing milk and loads of other things. There is a free version, but I splashed out and paid €2.99 for the premium version as you can add a second baby. It has been a godsend to help me track who got fed, when, how much etc, if I started on right or left side last time, how long ago a dirty nappy was. It is hard enough to keep track with one, so this app has been great for helping me. You would be surprised how quickly the few hours between feeds goes, so being able to double check when exactly you last fed is great. The app is called 'Feed Baby' and there is a lite and a pro version.

Also recommend for your bags:
    either a small nightlight or an app on your phone with a flashlight for night feeds as it can be awkward to switch on lights behind the bed when you are trying to feed. It also means you can check on baby without putting on a bigger light which is handy from time to time.

Also, moist toilet tissues!

And a small folding changing mat - when its 3am and you are doing a nappy change its great to not have to get out of bed, but if baby takes a widdle on your bedsheets its not so much fun (happened to me twice!) so a small changing mat is great. I have one I got in tesco for about €5 - its very utilitarian as in its black, nothing fancy, but it folds really small and is very light, so its very handy to have. Got hubby to bring it into the hospital in time for night two and it was really handy.

finally, throw in a few plastic bags in your hospital bag for your laundry - your towel or some nightwear and babies clothes might get soiled and you don't want to be mixing it with the rest of your things, so a few plastic bags to put wet baby grows or stained clothes in is good to have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Chemist Difference

My lovely little daughter was born at 10 pm last night. It went so fast after 2cm that my wife had no time for an epidural. Everyone happy and healthy. So happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Congrats. Delighted for you both x

My little man is a week old today. :) It's so strange looking at him and thinking that he was all rolled up inside my tummy just a week ago!

He is honestly an absolute dream. Everyone has warned us about what a nightmare the first few nights are, but he hasn't given us a sleepless night yet! He goes to bed before midnight, wakes up at four for a quick feed, then sleeps through to the morning. He's in the same routine all day - wakes every four hours for a feed and nappy change and a bit of interaction with whoever is around, then back to sleep. When he's asleep, he will sleep through anything and we can bring him anywhere. He's just so happy and easygoing, hardly ever cries, doesn't really get wind etc. But he's very alert at the same time, loves looking around and meeting new people.

I know there's no way this will last, but I'm delighted we had such a lovely easy first week at least. :) He is just perfect, and we are so in love with him already!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aww:) none of mine ever slept for 4 hours in the begining they were too interested in food!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Baba 2 is due next Sunday in the Rotunda (if she's planning on arriving on schedule!), do we just go in the front door like on the checkups?

Our first was induced in Holles Street due to high blood pressure so we were spared all that drama! Kinda hoping for the same this time truth be told as all worked out great.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Baba 2 is due next Sunday in the Rotunda (if she's planning on arriving on schedule!), do we just go in the front door like on the checkups?

Our first was induced in Holles Street due to high blood pressure so we were spared all that drama! Kinda hoping for the same this time truth be told as all worked out great.

Yep, in to the front desk and tell them you're in labour. You'll be assessed in the emergency room.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭moodswing

Our little boy Dexter was born today at a whooping 11lbs 4oz - I had a huge bump but never expected him to be that big :-)

moodswing wrote: »
    Our little boy Dexter was born today at a whooping 11lbs 4oz - I had a huge bump but never expected him to be that big :-)

Wow congrats. What a size :-) My husband has his heart set on calling our baby Dexter if it's a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Totally agree about the notebook.
    For the hospital bag, I would also suggest putting in make up pads (in case you get stitches) as they are great for bathing the area without leaving the fluff/thread that cotton balls leave behind.

Totally agree about the notebook.
    For the hospital bag, I would also suggest putting in make up pads (in case you get stitches) as they are great for bathing the area without leaving the fluff/thread that cotton balls leave behind.

Make up pads are actually better for cleaning babies bum if you're not using baby wipes too... Bigger surface area than cotton balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

We'll good morning all...
    Delighted to report we have a new addition to the family.Our little 7lb 6oz boy arrived in the early hours of Saturday morning following induction.Was a touh day day Friday with a long day of pains but SO SO worth it.

Aww Congrats:)))

Congrats Leitrim lady!

• Advertisement

Awww congrats! :)

The public health nurse is coming out tomorrow, I'm busy making my list of questions for her, there's a lot. :o I just find myself worrying so much about every little thing. Is he sleeping/eating too much/enough ... is his breathing normal ... how much puking is normal ...

It's funny, you hear people complaining about having the nurse out to check on the baby - I'd be delighted for her to come out every single week, just to be sure he's OK. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Delighted to report our new family member as well, baby J arrived Sunday afternoon after yet another emergency section, no vbac for me it seems. Waters broke Saturday morning, spent 15 hours under observation, contractions started Saturday night but never progressed beyond 2 cm. Got all the drugs going to give me the option of going into labour proper, but nothing doing. Drip then caused concern for scar rupture, so of we went for another section...however, as i knew what to expect it wasn't as traumatic, baby it's doing great and my recovery is much easier this time round as well. Still feel cheated though...

Hope ye are all doing well. ;-)

Posting from mobile in hospital, so excuse funny words n spellings :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Our little man arrived on friday night 8lbs 12oz (bang on due date from early private scan). 22 hours in total from first contraction to placenta being delivered. Some hairy moments but thankfully I was in so much pain I was oblivious to it all! Would of giving anything for an epidural or even a bit of gas and air! We went home the next morning. Can't recommend domino holles street enough :) breastfeeding is killing me though, hopefully it gets easier! Hyperemesis is gone, I just don't know myself and the funny thing is that the day he arrived I didn't get sick!

Ah congrats to all of ye on your new arrivals x

So happy. Got a sweep done today and if nothing happens om booked in for induction on sunday morning. The end is in sight :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

rsl1976 wrote: »
    So happy. Got a sweep done today and if nothing happens om booked in for induction on sunday morning. The end is in sight :-)

Good luck....top tip from my mother=remember your breathing.

I know it sounds obvious but it totally worked for me!

I was so bad at the breathing!

Jesus yeah.

You see a million episodes of One Born Every Minute where you can't understand why they won't just feckin breathe.

It really does not come easily or naturally when you're in that situation. :o And it does seem to help to try and focus on it!

Jesus yeah.

You see a million episodes of One Born Every Minute where you can't understand why they won't just feckin breathe.

It really does not come easily or naturally when you're in that situation. :o And it does seem to help to try and focus on it!

It's like I forgot how to breath! I found that getting my OH to do breathing with me helped but seriously I was so bad! I reckon I defo should of done some hypno birthing. One of the midwives was trying to do it with me but I was in so much pain I just couldn't get into it ! I was bad at the pushing too and had to ask how to do it! One way I coped was by getting OH to literally count down time on each contraction.

• Advertisement

rsl1976 wrote: »

The sweep worked wonders for me so fingers crossed for you! Has everyone else on this thread had their baby?

Advertisement