Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Nothing seems to be happening. In agony trying to even turn over in bed but no stomach pain :-(

It seems like everyone has had their babies alright :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ourmaris

Your not alone I'm two days over due, doctor tried to do a sweep yesterday but said my cervix is closed so couldnt do it. I have been booked in for an induction next friday but i am really hoping that I will go on my own. Bring on the pineapple, hot curry, baths, sex and raspberry tea :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I really feel like walking a good bit the last couple of weeks helped get things moving.

I hate walking, i get bored, so I'd just go down to the nearest shopping centre and stroll around. I was constantly terrified of my waters breaking in the middle of a shop though! :o

So last night as a pregnant woman for me. Getting induced in the morning please god everything goes well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

rsl1976 wrote: »
    So last night as a pregnant woman for me. Getting induced in the morning please god everything goes well :-)

Best of luck, not long now until you're holding your little bundle of joy :)

• Advertisement

Hi ladies,

Quick update. Baby Eliza Marie born 27th weighing 8lb 3oz after a very long day. Got the oxcytin drip and seemed extremely sensitive to it and contractions started flying along went from 2cm to fully dilated in less than an hour so no time for epi. She was born at 2am and i was home by 1 yesterday afternoon. Poor thing seemed to be shocked by the birth and was a bit restless but is like a different baby today very laid back and chilled.

Congratulations! Worth the wait I'd say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Is anyone else in so much pain down below?? Difene all gone so now on paraectomol! Went out for lunch today and practically had to use pram as a Zimmer frame!! Body still feels like I have done a gym work out from hell! Midwives tell me stitches etc are looking good. Seriously wasn't prepared from this feel so bruised!

Millem wrote: »
    Is anyone else in so much pain down below?? Difene all gone so now on paraectomol! Went out for lunch today and practically had to use pram as a Zimmer frame!! Body still feels like I have done a gym work out from hell! Midwives tell me stitches etc are looking good. Seriously wasn't prepared from this feel so bruised!

I remember being very sore for quite a while after my first. Just take it easy and if you're worried keep getting checked. Was it a forceps delivery?

Bagheera wrote: »
    I remember being very sore for quite a while after my first. Just take it easy and if you're worried keep getting checked. Was it a forceps delivery?

No forceps! But had a spontaneous delivery went from 1cm to 10cm in 42mins!! Had a second degree tear :( i know everything is grand as midwives have checked me down below everyday! They never told us this in ante natal class but they did say something about going to an osteopath after the birth to click everything back in place! My mum tells me this is normal! I Defo going to take it easy, I think going out shopping etc it too much for me now it has only been 11 days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Congrats rsl, love the name!

Still very sore as well, not the scar but my back, hips n pelvis. Can't wait to be able to drive again so I can get to physio...baby j doing great though, things are much easier the second time round as you know what to expect ;-)

How are you all recovering physically from the birth?

I was a size 14 before I got pregnant, probably about a size 12 now, and half a stone lighter (thank you morning sickness! :D ) However my tummy feels quite squidgey and soft. I wonder how long that lasts?

In general I feel like I've bounced back quite well. No pain from stitches etc, I got a prescription for Difene but never actually used it.

What I'm a bit worried about is the thought of having sex again ... whether things have changed much down there. :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

How are you all recovering physically from the birth?

I was a size 14 before I got pregnant, probably about a size 12 now, and half a stone lighter (thank you morning sickness! :D ) However my tummy feels quite squidgey and soft. I wonder how long that lasts?

It depends on how fit you were to begin with but usually it is gone within 6-8 weeks.

The worst pain I had after each of them was the contraction likes pains while breast feeding them.

Really? I never had any of that ... maybe because I've been expressing rather than feeding him myself so far, for the most part.

Tonight, though, my pump broke, and I did a full breastfeed all by myself! :D Only took me almost three weeks. :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

well done:)
    I became addicted to using nipple shields and was always so proud of myself when I managed with out them!

Haha oh wait I was still using nipple shields. :o He just will not, cannot, even come close to latching on without them. :o

Still a success though, he was still feeding from me rather than the bottle!

Really? I never had any of that ... maybe because I've been expressing rather than feeding him myself so far, for the most part.

Tonight, though, my pump broke, and I did a full breastfeed all by myself! :D Only took me almost three weeks. :o

O no! I got a loan of an unreal avent double pump but as I am pumping 5 times a day I was terrified if it broke as it cost around $500! So I rented a hospital grade Medea symphony from Medicare it is €3.22 a day they have a cheaper one (€75 a month). They told me the normal pumps should only be used twice a day as motor will burn out :( best thing I ever did as I don't need to worry now. Will go back to pump I borrowed when I drop down feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ourmaris

Baby Emily born on the 1st of feb 10 days over due weighing 6 pounds 14 ounces. Ive been breast feeding but have had to supplement with bottle feeding after every feed as i dont have enough milk. Now for my question how many mls or ounces are your new babies drinking? I am so paranoid that my little one is not getting enough fluids as she ended up in ICU under light therapy for jaundice and appeared very dehydrated hence when i brought in the bottle feeding on the advise of the hospital staff.

ourmaris wrote: »
    Baby Emily born on the 1st of feb 10 days over due weighing 6 pounds 14 ounces. Ive been breast feeding but have had to supplement with bottle feeding after every feed as i dont have enough milk. Now for my question how many mls or ounces are your new babies drinking? I am so paranoid that my little one is not getting enough fluids as she ended up in ICU under light therapy for jaundice and appeared very dehydrated hence when i brought in the bottle feeding on the advise of the hospital staff.

The same happened to me with my baby! His first week he was getting 90ml in each feed (made up of breast and formula) second week 120ml every 3 hours (made up of breast and formula). I have been pumping so I know how many mls of breast. My milk was going great and he was only getting 30ml of formula with each feed but disaster struck on friday and milk dwindled, it came back Saturday but had since gone again :( only getting 30ml, nurse told me it is exhaustion and dehydration. He was 8lbs 12oz when born at 2 weeks weighed 9lbs 7 and a half oz! He is a real guzzler.

ourmaris wrote: »

congrats:))
    I had to supplement #1 in hospital too and I was then of course super paranoid about her getting enough so I used to feed her then bottle feed with what ever it recommended on the box then pump.
    If she finished the bottle fine but if not then she did not want it.
    I was permanently feeding her until I upped the bottles,she was a starving baby.

• Advertisement

I know "breastfed is best" and all that marketing, but they are hardly in any way bereft if you end up bottlefeeding them. My dude is absolutely thriving, and is doing much better for having a happy mother. :)

I know "breastfed is best" and all that marketing, but they are hardly in any way bereft if you end up bottlefeeding them. My dude is absolutely thriving, and is doing much better for having a happy mother. :)

Chattastrophe have you stopped breast feeding? I have hardly any milk so am mostly giving formula this week and only 2 breast bottles per day:( while I was pregnant I took it for granted breastfeeding would be no problem...how wrong was I!

Millem wrote: »
    Chattastrophe have you stopped breast feeding? I have hardly any milk so am mostly giving formula this week and only 2 breast bottles per day:( while I was pregnant I took it for granted breastfeeding would be no problem...how wrong was I!

Oh I was going to do 100% breastfeeding! Sure why wouldn't I, free and healthy and all that.

It didn't work out that way at all, for various reasons. It's all formula. But sure he's a big happy healthy baby, so I'm not going to beat myself up over it!

Oh I was going to do 100% breastfeeding! Sure why wouldn't I, free and healthy and all that.

It didn't work out that way at all, for various reasons. It's all formula. But sure he's a big happy healthy baby, so I'm not going to beat myself up over it!

You are dead right! I am not going to feel guilty either I tried my best! I reckon in a few days I will be giving 100% formula as literally only got 30ml this morning so will be lucky to get 120ml for the day. My stash is in fridge has been used :( I have two weeks left on pump rental so will try and still keep going. I find he is a lot more satisfied after formula. Making up the formula is so complicated! I bought a few cartons premade for night time but last weekend bought the tommee tippe machine and may I just say it is a lifesaver :)

Are you really finding it that good? How does it work?

I never even looked into bottles/formulas as I was never planning to use them. :o

I'm using SMA as it's the one the midwives gave him in the hospital, and it seems to suit him fine, so I don't want to change. And I'm using Tommee Tippee bottles - they were on offer the day we got out of the hospital.

Are you really finding it that good? How does it work?

I never even looked into bottles/formulas as I was never planning to use them. :o

I'm using SMA as it's the one the midwives gave him in the hospital, and it seems to suit him fine, so I don't want to change. And I'm using Tommee Tippee bottles - they were on offer the day we got out of the hospital.

I was the same didn't have a clue about formula. We are using aptamil first milk. I don't really know the ins and outs of the machine! The machine is unreal it filters all the water (you have to change filter every 3 months), first a shot of boiled water comes out so you add the formula then the filtered water comes out. I asked public health nurse and domino midwives was it safe and they said yes so I got it! It makes the bottle in less than 2 mins. I was using breast bottles for night feeds and premade cartons before this. It was taking us 45 mins to make up one bottle and a lot of people were saying they premade their bottles for night (public health nurse said this was ok but it said you couldn't in my book from holles street?) and one of midwives said you could bring up boiled water then add the formula when you need it? Again I don't think you are allowed to do this? So this is why I bought the machine!

I make up six bottles at a time. I dunno, I think best practice is to make them up one at a time as you need them, but who's going to do that in reality?!!

I make up six bottles at a time. I dunno, I think best practice is to make them up one at a time as you need them, but who's going to do that in reality?!!

I was told I wasn't allowed to make up 6 for day! In my book from hospital it says one at a time so that's what I was doing! It was actually grand because he got mostly breast that sometimes I would just use an oz from a carton because he was feeding every 3 hours. But now he is on mostly formula and I am still pumping it was taking up soooo much of the day! Steriliser was constantly on as for one feed I could use 4 bottles! (30ml in each!) PH nurse said one would be ok for night time. To be honest they change the rules the whole time! I couldn't see myself being able to make up feeds at night so that's why I bought the machine!

This - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Nature-Perfect/dp/B00BG6304A/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1391798852&sr=8-13&keywords=tommee+tippee

I fed the 1st on mostly pre-made cartons as the tap water where we lived was terrible and kept making her sick despite being boiled,away from home I made up the bottles as needed.
    The 2nd was on special formula that could be made in advanced.
    #3 was a mixture of making one for now and one for later and premade if we were out.
    The machine looks so handy.

• Advertisement

Is that the post-natal care booklet from Holles St? There is so much useful info in there, I only read it just the other day, and I can't understand why it's not given out at the antenatal classes!

I'm not pumping at all any more, my pump broke a few days ago, I'd probably bring it back to Boots but I can't find the receipt ... also I'd feel a bit of a gob****e! :/ So my milk has nearly dried up now, I think.

From what I've read, there's no real reason not to make up bottles in advance (as long as it's no more than 24 hours), and it just isn't practical to do one at a time ... and it doesn't seem to have done him any harm so far anyways!

Advertisement