Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

The baby nurse told me that they have to advise us to make one at a time but basically to do what suited baby. I make 6 bottles at a time and use within 24hrs. this is my 3rd and it never done my other two any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Moonbeam wrote: »
    This - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Nature-Perfect/dp/B00BG6304A/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1391798852&sr=8-13&keywords=tommee+tippee

I fed the 1st on mostly pre-made cartons as the tap water where we lived was terrible and kept making her sick despite being boiled,away from home I made up the bottles as needed.
    The 2nd was on special formula that could be made in advanced.
    #3 was a mixture of making one for now and one for later and premade if we were out.
    The machine looks so handy.

It is amazing I bought it in mothercare €100 (price matched mamas and papas price). I know it is cheaper on amazon but I bought a cot dreamshow projector from them and the images don't move :( so have to post it back to them which is hassle so I paid the extra to buy it down the road! The thing I love about it is it measures out water perfectly and milk is at room temperature.

Is that the post-natal care booklet from Holles St? There is so much useful info in there, I only read it just the other day, and I can't understand why it's not given out at the antenatal classes!

I'm not pumping at all any more, my pump broke a few days ago, I'd probably bring it back to Boots but I can't find the receipt ... also I'd feel a bit of a gob****e! :/ So my milk has nearly dried up now, I think.

From what I've read, there's no real reason not to make up bottles in advance (as long as it's no more than 24 hours), and it just isn't practical to do one at a time ... and it doesn't seem to have done him any harm so far anyways!

My sister makes hers up all at once like you! Yes that is the hospital book I was talking about! The midwives used to go through it everyday with me when they came to my house the same with the breastfeeding book! They change the rules the whole time in a few years they will probably say make them up in 6s!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Combined feeding my lassies has stopped now for me as it was just not compatible with myental health! Lol but even as a combined feeder I would make formula bottles and add the breast milk to each one.

I make about 16 (yes 16! :eek:) bottles per day as they take at least 6 each, but sometimes one or two more, sometimes only finish half a bottle and then want one 2 hours later, so to be safe I need 8 each.

It is perfectly fine to make a batch 24 hours in advance. If you check the HSE guidelines it says it is best to do them as needed but then there is a section that says if that is not practical (say if you have twins) then a batch is fine. Can't see how a batch for twins is any different than a batch for singletons?

My big pain was waiting that 30 mins for the kettle because in that 30 mins anything can happen in my house! Now I boil the kettle and pour it straight into a large measuring jug. I pop that into a basin of cold water with a jam thermometer. When it hits 70° I plonk in the needed formula for however many bottles I am making and whisk. Then I pour into the bottles. Now making my 16 bottles takes about 15 mins start to finish including boiling the kettle.

For my bottles every time I get to 6 I quickly wash them and into the steam steriliser. As they get sterilised I have a box from Ikea which has a lid so I close up each bottle, then into the box with the lid and that keep them sterile for a good few hours til I need them. If for whatever reason I can't (some days are just mental!) I have another large plastic box which I fill with water, add Milton and as soon as I get a minute I wash the bottles and put them in there for 30 mins or so and then they are ready.

When you need to make 16 bottles even waiting 2 mins per bottle with the Tommee Tippee is too long! And making them as needed with the machine wouldn't work as my pair can go from quiet to screaming the house down in 30 seconds. For that reason I commit the ultimate no no and heat my bottles in the microwave horror of horrors, what a terrible mother I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Twins. I honestly do not know how you do it.

Ultimate respect to you!!!

• Advertisement

I'm a worse mammy, btw ... never mind microwaving, I just give him all his bottles at room temperature! :eek::eek::eek:

Mine come from the fridge so I have to heat them up. A will take them just warmed to room temperature but E actually loves her bottles proper hot and will mill it if it's nice and hot. If it's not hot enough she takes ages to take it and tries to spit it out at first.

We take them from the fridge and stick them in a mug of hot water for a few minutes to bring them back up to room temperature.

He is happy to take them whether they're hot, cold, or in between. We're very lucky so far, he really doesn't care so long as he's getting fed, he'll take anything!

Oh god I wish our girls would wait a couple of mins! They literally go ballistic within 60 seconds of realising they're hungry. Even the electric warmers aren't quick enough.

Oh god I couldn't bear that! Luckily our guy is quite patient. He'll snuffle around and let us know that he's hungry for a good while before he actually starts crying!

• Advertisement

The tommee tippee machine takes me less than 2mins only 1 min 15 secs to be precise, the max time is 2 mins or else machine will do next step I think it's a safety feature. My babs goes mad when he is hungry and with combo feeding sometimes it was every 90 mins! So it was a bit of trauma without the machine as kettle was taking a good 40 mins!

I'm sorry to be smug.

But, isn't it just lovely to be on maternity leave on a day like today! :D:D:D :o

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I'm sorry to be smug.

But, isn't it just lovely to be on maternity leave on a day like today! :D:D:D :o

Hell yeah! Even if i do have a breast pump stuck to me!!!

How's that going for you? Are you breastfeeding as well or expressing fulltime?

I've switched totally to formula. Was doing a bit of expressing, but then my pump broke and I basically took it as a sign. :o I wasn't enjoying it anyways. Sure I got a bit of boob milk into him the first couple of weeks, and they say that's the most important time! He's doing fine though, so I'm not going to beat myself up over it!

How's that going for you? Are you breastfeeding as well or expressing fulltime?

I've switched totally to formula. Was doing a bit of expressing, but then my pump broke and I basically took it as a sign. :o I wasn't enjoying it anyways. Sure I got a bit of boob milk into him the first couple of weeks, and they say that's the most important time! He's doing fine though, so I'm not going to beat myself up over it!

Its going ok,i give him formula too cos i could never express that much,so its 2 bottles breast milk and 2 of formula,and then breast if he wakes during the night which he rarely does now,but its just easier than gettin up and heating up a bottle,not sure how much longer ill do it for but its working at the mo,but like you said i won't beat myself up about it when i do stop.

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Its going ok,i give him formula too cos i could never express that much,so its 2 bottles breast milk and 2 of formula,and then breast if he wakes during the night which he rarely does now,but its just easier than gettin up and heating up a bottle,not sure how much longer ill do it for but its working at the mo,but like you said i won't beat myself up about it when i do stop.

Yeah the breastfeeding would be so handy for the night time feeds alright.

I went clothes shopping today for the first time since I was pregnant. It was weird, I had gotten so used to buying lovely flattering maternity clothes to show off the bump ... now all of a sudden I'm looking for clothes that'll not draw attention to my saggy little belly ... and I've also lost a good bit of weight from all over my body, so my shape is quite different overall than it was pre-pregnancy ... 'twas very strange!

I've my six-week appointment next week, hopefully all will be good and I'll be able to start doing a bit of exercise and tone up a bit. :)

I was really surprised by my 6 week check. They just checked my bp and advised me to stay on my meds and slowly reduce them each week, had a chat about how I am doing, asked about the scar but didn't even look at it and said I could go back to doing whatever I feel up to. In my naivety I was expecting an actual physical exam or something. In fairness to my consultant who was absolutely brilliant all through my pregnancy, I had built up a very good relationship with her and would be quite open and frank with her so she probably knew that if there were any problems with my scar or anything I would tell her - she knows of well enough now to know I have a bit of cop on about these things. Maybe if I was a different sort of person she would have wanted to check for herself.

But as I say I was a bit surprised not to have any actual check. Not that I'm complaining though! It's not like I was disappointed that no one rummaged in my fandangle!!!

Wow I'm shocked at that, I was expecting a proper exam down there. If she doesn't suggest one, I might actually ask her to have a look, I'm really paranoid about whether it's healing up OK (even though it feels fine) ... I even made the PHN have a look one day when she was out! :o I had my jeans off and then she said, "Um, you might want to close the curtains first" ... I was there half-naked in front of the big sitting room window, our house faces out onto a pretty busy road, whoops! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mine come from the fridge so I have to heat them up. A will take them just warmed to room temperature but E actually loves her bottles proper hot and will mill it if it's nice and hot. If it's not hot enough she takes ages to take it and tries to spit it out at first.

All of mine liked warm bottles too... My last baby I asked my aunt to throw the bottle in the microwave and she did and when it came out it wasn't warm enough, she nearly had a stroke when I told her it needed to be warmer...

January wrote: »
    All of mine liked warm bottles too... My last baby I asked my aunt to throw the bottle in the microwave and she did and when it came out it wasn't warm enough, she nearly had a stroke when I told her it needed to be warmer...

Yeah we had the girls at the hospital yesterday as we were at our wits end with their reflux (long story involving a GP who wouldn't listen! Looks like it's all sorted now much to our relief and the benefit of my poor girlies who have been in horrendous discomfort). Anyway I asked them to heat and bottle which had 2 feeds in it - one each. When I collected it she said 'oh god it's way too hot' I said ah no its grand and she looked at me like I had just suggested putting my babies into a vat of boiling oil!!! So I just fobbed her by saying 'oh they get changed before each bottle so by the time I do that for each of them it will have cooled down'!!! Of course no such thing and I gave it straight to them! I needed them to take it so I could show the doctor the antics following a feed so they would appreciate how bad it was. If I tried to give them a cold bottle I'd still be trying to shove it into them!

• Advertisement

Has anyone had their 6 week check up yet? If so how did it go? I am getting my next week and would love to know what to expect! I hope it's not another talk about contraception! I looked in my folder last week to get immunisation passport and I realised either PHN or midwives snook in a think contraception booklet! Lol lol you would think I was a teenager!!

Just had mine this morning!

She checked him first, weight, head measurements, a good long check of heart and lungs, general questions about how he's doing. He pee'd on the table. Again. :o He's absolutely perfect though, no issues at all.

Then she weighed me, blood pressure, had a look at the episiotomy scar (she could barely find it, it's healed so well), and an internal exam and good grope of my tummy. (The internal exam felt no different than any I've had before, hope that's a good sign for getting back to sexytime!) And yes, a good long chat about contraception too ... lots of reminders about using condoms until I sort something else out! I was in there a good hour or more altogether, but that was dealing with some other health issues too.

Just had mine this morning!

She checked him first, weight, head measurements, a good long check of heart and lungs, general questions about how he's doing. He pee'd on the table. Again. :o He's absolutely perfect though, no issues at all.

Then she weighed me, blood pressure, had a look at the episiotomy scar (she could barely find it, it's healed so well), and an internal exam and good grope of my tummy. (The internal exam felt no different than any I've had before, hope that's a good sign for getting back to sexytime!) And yes, a good long chat about contraception too ... lots of reminders about using condoms until I sort something else out! I was in there a good hour or more altogether, but that was dealing with some other health issues too.

O no I was hoping not to have an internal! You would think that after having a baby I wouldn't care! Wish I had picked a female gp :( what is the obsession with contraception? Seriously like a week after giving birth I got a lecture on it and I was like "seriously I can barely walk!"
    One advantage to not breastfeeding though is being able to get the pill :)

True! In going to try the coil, but can't get it for another couple of months.

True! In going to try the coil, but can't get it for another couple of months.

I am going to get perscription for pill! I think I am putting on weight now I can eat again! Addicted to white bread! I have to say I am tired little man is so good goes to bed for 12 hours at night but wakes up for feeds. Would love a night of sleep uninterrupted.

Millem wrote: »
    I am going to get perscription for pill! I think I am putting on weight now I can eat again! Addicted to white bread! I have to say I am tired little man is so good goes to bed for 12 hours at night but wakes up for feeds. Would love a night of sleep uninterrupted.

How long does yours stay awake during the day? Mine always sleeps all night (between feeds obviously), but seems to sleep quite a bit in the daytime too. But when he is awake during the day, he's wide awake, lots of interaction etc. He's so good, I really don't appreciate it half the time. :o Usually wakes for one feed during the night, and then straight back to sleep.

Totally with you on the white bread. :o Toast or cereal always seems to be the quickest and easiest thing to grab, whatever time of the day! Going to start going for runs hopefully next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I never had an internal at my 6 week checks :eek:

My little guy is amazing at night,gets his feed around half eight in the evening and then goes into his basket and sleeps until at least 7 the next morning,i was concerned that he wasn't gettin enough to eat but the public health nurse assured me that he will let me know if he is hungry,hasn't woken for a feed during the night in nearly 3 weeks,its so good gettin a good sleep.

Now having said all that he stays awake for a good portion of the day so i guess he is tired come bed time.

January wrote: »
    I never had an internal at my 6 week checks :eek:

Oh god I was morto!

Someone here had mentioned she didn't get one.

So this morning, I went to shave my legs for the first time since giving birth (I know, I know. :o ) But then realised I had run out of blades.

But I reckoned I probably wouldn't get an internal, so I'd be alright, so went on ahead to the doctors as I was ... but then she told me to hop up on the bed ... I was so embarrassed! :o

I don't usually mind internals, but usually I know about them in advance so am appropriately groomed! :D

• Advertisement

How long does yours stay awake during the day? Mine always sleeps all night (between feeds obviously), but seems to sleep quite a bit in the daytime too. But when he is awake during the day, he's wide awake, lots of interaction etc. He's so good, I really don't appreciate it half the time. :o Usually wakes for one feed during the night, and then straight back to sleep.

Totally with you on the white bread. :o Toast or cereal always seems to be the quickest and easiest thing to grab, whatever time of the day! Going to start going for runs hopefully next week.

Tonight we are doing 10pm till 10am so feed at 10 finish at 10.30 he doesn't actually wake in night as soon as I hear a stir (don't want to wait for full blown screams) around 2ish I make bottle and he gets fed and nappy change in sleep then again around 6.30 and I get up at 7am to do housework, get dogs organised etc and then get him up at 9.30! He is sooo good during the day he sleeps a lot I am correcting mock papers at the moment so try and mark before 9.30 am but sometimes need to do an hour or two in afternoon and he just lies beside me 'chatting' away to me or lies on my chest. He only stays awake around two hours at a time between feeds during the day except between say 5 and 9 or 6-10 he has his "happy hour" as I call it soooo fussy, this is when he gets his soother

Advertisement