Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Aww he actually sounds very like mine! No trouble at all. If he wants a bottle, he usually just snuffles around a bit and we have it ready before he starts crying. He's happy enough to just chill out in his cot or his chair or on one of our laps during the day. He hardly ever cries (but has a great set of lungs on him when he does!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oh god I was morto!

Someone here had mentioned she didn't get one.

So this morning, I went to shave my legs for the first time since giving birth (I know, I know. :o ) But then realised I had run out of blades.

But I reckoned I probably wouldn't get an internal, so I'd be alright, so went on ahead to the doctors as I was ... but then she told me to hop up on the bed ... I was so embarrassed! :o

I don't usually mind internals, but usually I know about them in advance so am appropriately groomed! :D

Grizzly adams here had no time to shave anything except her arm pits before she gave birth the last time... Poor midwives holding up my hairy legs while I gave birth :\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Aww he actually sounds very like mine! No trouble at all. If he wants a bottle, he usually just snuffles around a bit and we have it ready before he starts crying. He's happy enough to just chill out in his cot or his chair or on one of our laps during the day. He hardly ever cries (but has a great set of lungs on him when he does!)

I always make sure we get out and leave the house everyday and he just konks! The weather was so bad last week though :( that it is sooo mucky. We went for a lovely walk with dogs on Sunday and I have to say the bugaboo cameleon was amazing on mucky/rough/bumpy ground! The only thing is with these travel systems they all seem to be heavy getting in an out of car! I am looking into umbrella strollers as we are going on hols this summer would love the bugaboo bee but can't justify price! On a very depressing note I need to look into childcare for September :( supposedly you need to be now??

January wrote: »
    Grizzly adams here had no time to shave anything except her arm pits before she gave birth the last time... Poor midwives holding up my hairy legs while I gave birth :\

Haha not just me so!

I did apologise to the doctor, but she assured me it was nothing she hadn't seen before. :D

Did you have an episiotomy? Maybe that's why she had to check? Although I don't know if that would explain the internal exam ...

Haha not just me so!

I did apologise to the doctor, but she assured me it was nothing she hadn't seen before. :D

Did you have an episiotomy? Maybe that's why she had to check? Although I don't know if that would explain the internal exam ...

The midwife told me to book a smear test the day of 6week check up, she just kept saying "seize the moment" lol lol. But PHN said gp won't do it then as you can get false results? I presume by "seize the moment" it means you get an internal anyway! I would love to change gps but feel bad as he actually texted me congrats after giving birth which in fairness was a nice touch!

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I always make sure we get out and leave the house everyday and he just konks! The weather was so bad last week though :( that it is sooo mucky. We went for a lovely walk with dogs on Sunday and I have to say the bugaboo cameleon was amazing on mucky/rough/bumpy ground! The only thing is with these travel systems they all seem to be heavy getting in an out of car! I am looking into umbrella strollers as we are going on hols this summer would love the bugaboo bee but can't justify price! On a very depressing note I need to look into childcare for September :( supposedly you need to be now??

Oh mine's the same, he sleeps so well when we're out and about!

Completely agree with you re. travel systems. We were between the Cameleon and the Uppababy Vista, went for the Vista in the end, it's great and I love it ... but it's not exactly lightweight, like it's a bit of an ordeal getting it in and out of the car on my own, and I think I'll be avoiding buses - even though it's so easy to fold up - it would be a pain in the ass hauling it up and down of the luggage place!

Childcare is sorted, we're really happy with the creche we went for. :) Got a lovely tour with the manager back when I was about seven months pregnant, I can honestly say we're really happy with it and I won't be afraid to leave him there - it's pricey though. :( Just paid the deposit there last week, he'll be starting in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Haha not just me so!

C section on first, he didn't check the scar. A few stitches on the second, no check. Grazes (no stitches, midwife likened them to paper cuts down there... she wasn't far off, the paiiiin when I pee'd), no check.

C section on first, he didn't check the scar. A few stitches on the second, no check. Grazes (no stitches, midwife likened them to paper cuts down there... she wasn't far off, the paiiiin when I pee'd), no check.

Funny because she did ask me had I had any pain or anything ... I said no, everything seemed to be healing up fine ... but she still checked! I suppose it varies between doctors.

In a way it's good to know all is healing OK ... in another way, I really was hoping not to get one on the day! :o

Oh mine's the same, he sleeps so well when we're out and about!

Completely agree with you re. travel systems. We were between the Cameleon and the Uppababy Vista, went for the Vista in the end, it's great and I love it ... but it's not exactly lightweight, like it's a bit of an ordeal getting it in and out of the car on my own, and I think I'll be avoiding buses - even though it's so easy to fold up - it would be a pain in the ass hauling it up and down of the luggage place!

Childcare is sorted, we're really happy with the creche we went for. :) Got a lovely tour with the manager back when I was about seven months pregnant, I can honestly say we're really happy with it and I won't be afraid to leave him there - it's pricey though. :( Just paid the deposit there last week, he'll be starting in July.

My OH has a crèche in work which is cheaper than the normal I think around €875 per month but because I am a teacher I will be off for hols and I would still have to pay for that crèche :( plus I work much shorter hours than OH so babs would be away for too long. I would love a childminder near work so will have to do research but I presume it will still be €800 per month.

Ah it'll still work out a lot cheaper though when you're not paying for the summer months!

That's crap that his work creche would still charge for months when they're not there. I would've thought workplace creches would be more accommodating!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

800pm would be the going rate for a childminder but some are delighted to mind for teachers and will be a bit cheaper due to the shorter hours but as it is not 12 months pay some people will not mind for teachers and some charge slightly more .
    Personally I would love it and have my summers off with my kids:)

Ah it'll still work out a lot cheaper though when you're not paying for the summer months!

That's crap that his work creche would still charge for months when they're not there. I would've thought workplace creches would be more accommodating!

And what's worse it is in a university!! So I really think that I shouldn't have to pay! A colleague of mine is sending hers to a crèche and is charged €600 per month for summer months for 2 days per week. She has to do this so child can keep her place, the child is over one so is a "wobbler" so it is cheaper than an under 1. I just hope that such a childminder exists!! I really don't want to put him in a big crèche.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They do exist!
    childminding.ie will have a list of childminders in the area that you want and you can phone them and ask.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They do exist!
    childminding.ie will have a list of childminders in the area that you want and you can phone them and ask.

Omg that site is brill thanks a mill! I my goal for march will be to try and finalise the childcare. There aren't too many chdminders on it though I thought there would be way more?

Not everyone registers publicly but if you ring the office they have a much better list that they will give you over the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I never had an internal at my 6 week checks :eek:

I didn't have an internal either. Didn't even have to remove a single item of clothing! Didn't check weight. Mainly checking my bp due to my pregnancy problems with the blood pressure. Had some bloods to check my liver function ok after having cholestasis. That was it really.

When you ladies say sleeping through the night, do you mean sleeping uninterrupted or just waking for feeds?

My ladies sleep from about 9/10 pm to midnight. If they don't wake I wake them and give them a big feed for the night. A will then sleep til about 4am and E will sleep til about 6/6.30. A then wakes again around 7.30/8. Occasionally they will both wake together during the night around 3/4 but usually its just A. Once they have had their 'morning' feed they both sleep til about 9am. I usually either have a bit of a sleep myself or grab a shower at this time. Then we all get up, have a little play, wash, dress, feed again and out we go. They sleep hours if we're out, so I am using that as a way to get them used to sleeping longer periods without eating. Get back, feed again and then another play and then they have a nap. Then tea time bottles, change into jammies. Cuddles with daddy. Give another smaller feed around 9pm and give them their meds for reflux. Wake them at about 11 for big night feed and start all over again.

Before the reflux problem started I pretty much had them sleeping 7 hours straight without waking. I am trying to get back to that, but find if they are suffering particularly with reflux or wind, they usually wake during the night for a feed. Since they've been on medication things are much improved - before the meds my happy easy going babies turned into screaming banshees from 7 every evening til about 2 am. And grizzly during the day after each feed. That was tough going, but thank god seems to be behind us.

I find it really manageable though, as I am getting at least 3-4 hours unbroken sleep, feed and then another 2-3 hours. I keep saying I will go to bed for a few hours from 9 til last feed, but I never do! I do still feel it catch up with me some times and on those days I'll grab a nap during the afternoon while they have a sleep, but generally it actually hasn't been half as bad as I thought it would be. Much easier on daddy too, as he's not too bad getting up for work. As long as they wake separately I will do all the feeds so he hasn't had too many sleepless nights :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Hello lady,my little man goes down between half nine and ten and doesn't wake till 7 the next mornin for a feed,its brilliant and long may it last! He then usually goes back to sleep till around 10ish so i get a chance to do some house work or whatever,or sometimes get back into bed too,nothing better on a cold stormy morning!x

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Hello lady,my little man goes down between half nine and ten and doesn't wake till 7 the next mornin for a feed,its brilliant and long may it last! He then usually goes back to sleep till around 10ish so i get a chance to do some house work or whatever,or sometimes get back into bed too,nothing better on a cold stormy morning!x
    Hi Coopaloop

How old is your little man now and from how many weeks was he sleeping 9 hours without a feed?

My girls were on track for a 7-8 hour sleep until reflux hit so I am optimistic that I will get them back on track. E manages it some nights already, it's just every couple of nights she wakes at 3 or 4.

But 9 hours seems an awful long time to go without a feed to me. I would struggle to do that myself and my stomach is 20 times bigger than theirs! Think I would still be inclined to give them a late night bottle to avoid them waking up ravenous and then wolfing a bottle - eating too much too quick isn't good for their digestion, especially the reflux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Hi Coopaloop

How old is your little man now and from how many weeks was he sleeping 9 hours without a feed?

My girls were on track for a 7-8 hour sleep until reflux hit so I am optimistic that I will get them back on track. E manages it some nights already, it's just every couple of nights she wakes at 3 or 4.

But 9 hours seems an awful long time to go without a feed to me. I would struggle to do that myself and my stomach is 20 times bigger than theirs! Think I would still be inclined to give them a late night bottle to avoid them waking up ravenous and then wolfing a bottle - eating too much too quick isn't good for their digestion, especially the reflux.

He has been doin that since he was around 3 weeks,he is 6 weeks on Thursday,i was concerned about that too him not feeding for so long,so i asked my public health nurse and my doc and both said it was nothin to worry about,that he will wake if he is hungry, i take him off the bottle every ounce for a wind so he doesn't get the chance to gulp it down too quickly.

Hope the reflux clears up for your little ones soon,nothing worse.

• Advertisement

My girls are almost 10 weeks - having had them sleeping and then not and now back on track I am dreading the 12 week sleep regression phase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My little girl has reflux. She is 15 weeks and has slept 11/12 hour stretches. On occasion she will still wake during the night. It's usually with a dirty nappy but will always look for a bottle when this happens. She does attack her morning bottle like a girl who has never been fed even if she has been up during the night!

Roesy wrote: »
    My little girl has reflux. She is 15 weeks and has slept 11/12 hour stretches. On occasion she will still wake during the night. It's usually with a dirty nappy but will always look for a bottle when this happens. She does attack her morning bottle like a girl who has never been fed even if she has been up during the night!

My girls have silent reflux which is the vomit and acid coming back up and then returning into their stomach before they vomit. They do sometimes puke, and actually are less distressed and uncomfortable when they do. When the acid comes up their little faces scrunch up and then they squeal in pain.

Thankfully losec seems to be doing the trick for them with the odd dose of Gaviscon if it's particularly bad.

Wow 11 hours sleep? I think I would actually freak out and worry if my girls slept that long without waking. 7-8 is plenty for me. We're building back to that now. They've been asleep since 9.30. I'll wake and feed them at 11.30 and 12 respectively. They will sleep until at least 3.30/4 if it's a bad night, til 6.30/7 if it's a good night. I can cope with that. My friend who had her baby 3 weeks after me hasn't had more than 2 hours consecutive sleep in 6 weeks. He doesn't have colic, or reflux, he's just a very clingy baby. She has reported to co sleeping even though she's not breast feeding. He makes every hour and looks for a bottle. This goes on all day. He refuses to take bigger feeds - he's a little and often baby! God love her she's absolutely shattered.

My girls have silent reflux which is the vomit and acid coming back up and then returning into their stomach before they vomit. They do sometimes puke, and actually are less distressed and uncomfortable when they do. When the acid comes up their little faces scrunch up and then they squeal in pain.

Thankfully losec seems to be doing the trick for them with the odd dose of Gaviscon if it's particularly bad.

Wow 11 hours sleep? I think I would actually freak out and worry if my girls slept that long without waking. 7-8 is plenty for me. We're building back to that now. They've been asleep since 9.30. I'll wake and feed them at 11.30 and 12 respectively. They will sleep until at least 3.30/4 if it's a bad night, til 6.30/7 if it's a good night. I can cope with that. My friend who had her baby 3 weeks after me hasn't had more than 2 hours consecutive sleep in 6 weeks. He doesn't have colic, or reflux, he's just a very clingy baby. She has reported to co sleeping even though she's not breast feeding. He makes every hour and looks for a bottle. This goes on all day. He refuses to take bigger feeds - he's a little and often baby! God love her she's absolutely shattered.

Its silent reflux my little one has too even though she's started puking more since she went on the Zantac. You're right though, she does seem less uncomfortable when that happens. The 11 hours is a relatively recent thing. At 10 weeks my little lady would have had a similar enough pattern to your girls.

Roesy wrote: »
    Its silent reflux my little one has too even though she's started puking more since she went on the Zantac. You're right though, she does seem less uncomfortable when that happens. The 11 hours is a relatively recent thing. At 10 weeks my little lady would have had a similar enough pattern to your girls.

It's so hard when it's silent, isn't it Roesy? Took a while to identify it. At least if they are puking after every feed you know what the problem is. But with the silent kind you first think colic/wind and spend time trying to fix that only two discover that the reflux is causing the wind cramps and half the pain they experience isn't wind but acid. We're heading in the right direction now though thank god. Still a balancing act between treating the reflux and not making them constipated. A is doing really well now, dirty nappies every day but poor E has some bad days with it. She was in agony tonight poor pet. I am looking forward to this totally settling down and then going on solids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Sami23

Hi all, our little girl will be 4 weeks on Thursday and I'm looking for some advice / opinions if ye don't mind. She hasn't really settled into any real feed/sleep pattern and were really jealous seeing some of you guys getting 7-10 hours unbroken sleep and wondering what were doing wrong so I have a couple of questions if ye don't mind. She did sleep for 5 hours a few nights in the first week but seems to be getting worse since. She is feeding well, not really troubled by wind, lots of wet nappies and a dirty nappy usually once a day.
    1. When ye say ye give a good feed before bed how many oz's are ye talking about for a 3-4 week old. Our LO seems to prefer only 2oz's at times which we think leads her to wake again after a few hours ? In saying that she could drink 5-6 oz's at other times.
    2. When she wakes would ye recommend trying to lengthen out time between feed with dodo or feed straight away ?
    3. How many oz's on average should a 3-4 week old be taking at each feed ?
    4. Have ye any advice on how to get her to finish her bottle when she is refusing it or even falling asleep at the job :)

for e.g, lat night she had 3oz's at 10pm, slept from 10.30pm to 1.30am, drank another 2oz's, then slept 2am till 4am, drank 3oz's and was still awake at 6am.
    After this she could be awake from 9am till 4pm sipping away on bits of bottles and drifting to sleep for very short periods but not fully settled.

Sorry its so longwinded but hard to explain in short.
    Looking forward to yer advice. Thanks

It's so hard when it's silent, isn't it Roesy? Took a while to identify it. At least if they are puking after every feed you know what the problem is. But with the silent kind you first think colic/wind and spend time trying to fix that only two discover that the reflux is causing the wind cramps and half the pain they experience isn't wind but acid. We're heading in the right direction now though thank god. Still a balancing act between treating the reflux and not making them constipated. A is doing really well now, dirty nappies every day but poor E has some bad days with it. She was in agony tonight poor pet. I am looking forward to this totally settling down and then going on solids.

Oh yeah, it's a curse. My little one was seemingly at it from birth! My mother held her the day after she was born and spotted her gulping and said there and then said 'if she wasn't so young I'd say she has a touch of reflux'. Roll on two weeks later and my sleepy little bub turned from a dream baby to a banshee. She screamed everytime we lay her flat. Here's hoping we are both on the right track and that the 16 weeks my gp was touting is really the magic number for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Hi Sami23

My LO is 4weeks and i had the
    same problem she would just not sleep through at all. Was out saturday night and my MIL had her and she slept all night. The difference was she left her in a cardigan for sleeping. For some reason i had been worried about her been too warm (phn said to make sure she was not too warm) and it never occured to me she might be a bit cold. Has been sleeping in cardi since and has slept right through the night

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

hi
    i was the same hearing about babies sleeping for hours on end and very jealous of the sleeps some mammies were getting. my girl is seven weeks old and is getting into a routine of six-seven hours at night only now. be fore that it was every 3-4 hours. im a first time mammy and like you are doing your best. dont beat yourself up or compare too much. every baby like all of us are different

• Advertisement

Just had mine this morning!

She checked him first, weight, head measurements, a good long check of heart and lungs, general questions about how he's doing. He pee'd on the table. Again. :o He's absolutely perfect though, no issues at all.

Then she weighed me, blood pressure, had a look at the episiotomy scar (she could barely find it, it's healed so well), and an internal exam and good grope of my tummy. (The internal exam felt no different than any I've had before, hope that's a good sign for getting back to sexytime!) And yes, a good long chat about contraception too ... lots of reminders about using condoms until I sort something else out! I was in there a good hour or more altogether, but that was dealing with some other health issues too.

Had the 6 week check, my blood pressure was checked that's it! Didn't have a down below exam and was told "you would know yourself if anything was wrong"!!!! I felt like saying "oh yes cos I am a doctor"! Lol lol
    Whenever that free gp care comes in for under 5s I am so moving! I never had a gp before because I am never sick and just picked him out of location and handiness. Babs didn't get weighed but we have to go back in 2 weeks for vaccinations? I thought they were done in health centre place??

Advertisement