Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Millem wrote: »
    Had the 6 week check, my blood pressure was checked that's it! Didn't have a down below exam and was told "you would know yourself if anything was wrong"!!!! I felt like saying "oh yes cos I am a doctor"! Lol lol
    Whenever that free gp care comes in for under 5s I am so moving! I never had a gp before because I am never sick and just picked him out of location and handiness. Babs didn't get weighed but we have to go back in 2 weeks for vaccinations? I thought they were done in health centre place??

I was wondering about the vaccinations alright ... I honestly can't remember if the GP said to go back to them or to go to the local health clinic! Better figure it out, he's seven weeks already so almost due them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I was wondering about the vaccinations alright ... I honestly can't remember if the GP said to go back to them or to go to the local health clinic! Better figure it out, he's seven weeks already so almost due them!

I defo have to go to him. I still have one in the middle of the night feed. Doc said I should wait till he crys for it rather than "root" or else it will never go?

I defo have to go to him. I still have one in the middle of the night feed. Doc said I should wait till he crys for it rather than "root" or else it will never go?

Yeah just rang my GP and booked it there.

We often still have a middle of the night feed, not every night though. I don't really mind it too much because he just takes the bottle with no fuss and straight back to sleep. I don't like to let it get to the stage where he's crying for it, even in the middle of the night. I know well if I left it til he was roaring crying in the middle of the night, he would drink far too much too fast, end up puking, and take ages to settle after! So I prefer to just give it to him quickly and quietly, and we both get back to sleep straight away, and I know it's probably only for another couple of weeks.

Yeah just rang my GP and booked it there.

We often still have a middle of the night feed, not every night though. I don't really mind it too much because he just takes the bottle with no fuss and straight back to sleep. I don't like to let it get to the stage where he's crying for it, even in the middle of the night. I know well if I left it til he was roaring crying in the middle of the night, he would drink far too much too fast, end up puking, and take ages to settle after! So I prefer to just give it to him quickly and quietly, and we both get back to sleep straight away, and I know it's probably only for another couple of weeks.

I agree that's what I said to doc, he takes the bottle but is still asleep if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

All vaccinations other than the first BCG are done by GP not health centre.

Very few 6 week checks involve an internal exam, so it's not just your doctor. Even at the hospital where I had mine there was no exam.

• Advertisement

Very few 6 week checks involve an internal exam, so it's not just your doctor. Even at the hospital where I had mine there was no exam.

I don't know why I got one then! :/ Would it have been just because of the episiotomy ...? though I thought that was kinda on the outside, so I don't know why I'd have needed an internal! She was explaining as she was doing it that she was checking the size and shape of the uterus, it felt like she was feeling it from the outside and the inside at the same time, if that makes sense!

Twas awkward as feck too, because the baby was cranky after all his poking and prodding so I had to hold him on my chest while she was doing it!!!

I don't know why I got one then! :/ Would it have been just because of the episiotomy ...? though I thought that was kinda on the outside, so I don't know why I'd have needed an internal! She was explaining as she was doing it that she was checking the size and shape of the uterus, it felt like she was feeling it from the outside and the inside at the same time, if that makes sense!

Twas awkward as feck too, because the baby was cranky after all his poking and prodding so I had to hold him on my chest while she was doing it!!!

It very much depends on the doctor but it would be more usual to have no internal than it would be to have one if you get me.

Re: vaccinations, you should have been given a vaccination passport either before you left the hospital or by your PHN. It lists all the vaccines, when they're due and who does them.

Re: vaccinations, you should have been given a vaccination passport either before you left the hospital or by your PHN. It lists all the vaccines, when they're due and who does them.

Duh - I even have the magnet with all that up on the fridge, all GP apart from the BCG - oops! :D I'll blame the baby brain!

Duh - I even have the magnet with all that up on the fridge, all GP apart from the BCG - oops! :D I'll blame the baby brain!

:D

Really? Even if you had stitches down below? Well they domino midwives said that I would get one. Not complaining I feel grand down there :)

• Advertisement

Really? Even if you had stitches down below? Well they domino midwives said that I would get one. Not complaining I feel grand down there :)

I got stitched from one hip to the other and they didn't even look at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I had the 6 week check yesterday and the GP asked if I wanted her to check stitches. As I feel fine I said no, so I think it's something you can have done if you ask. After all the check is for you and baby!

My little one had his BCG today, he was very brave :)

I have to say, I was happy she checked it, despite it being so awkward and uncomfortable etc. Made it a lot easier to get back to "stuff" when I knew it all seemed OK down below! :D

By the way. Everything I'd ever thought about parenting when I was pregnant has been completely turned on its head.

"Feeding? Oh I'll be 100% breastfeeding until he goes to creche."

Eh, no. Didn't happen.

"But even if I end up bottlefeeding, sure myself and my boyfriend will be fighting over who gets to do it, even the night feeds, it'll be a privilege!"

Ha. :D Eh .... no.

"Slings? Oh, they're for hippies. I'd never carry a baby around in a sling, sure they'd be spoilt!"

"I'm going to sit at least two of my next accountancy exams while I'm on maternity leave. Sure I'll have tonnes of time to study between feeds!" (I have a good long LOL at that one every time I think of my very over-ambitious aspirations!)

You think you're prepared, and then the time comes! :o

It is SO much tougher than I could ever have expected - but I wouldn't change it for the world!

I was the same before I had my first. I said I'd never use a soother (my son is nearly 3 and still has one at night, can't break the habit) and that I would never sit him in front of the tv to entertain him. Eh when you have two the tv is a godsend! I also said I'd never have him in the bed with us. Yet another thing that went out the window when I was in desperate need of sleep.

I think before you have children it's very easy to be idealistic but when the reality of how hard it is hits, those ideals go out the window!

Speaking of babies in beds, the baby is sleeping most of the night in our bed at the moment. I'm just too tired to try and settle him in the Moses basket and as I'm breastfeeding it's easy to just take him into the bed. It's a habit I'm not keen on keeping up though, thinking of trying a cot tomorrow night. He is completely filling the Moses basket already!

By the way. Everything I'd ever thought about parenting when I was pregnant has been completely turned on its head.

"Feeding? Oh I'll be 100% breastfeeding until he goes to creche."

Eh, no. Didn't happen.

"But even if I end up bottlefeeding, sure myself and my boyfriend will be fighting over who gets to do it, even the night feeds, it'll be a privilege!"

Ha. :D Eh .... no.

"Slings? Oh, they're for hippies. I'd never carry a baby around in a sling, sure they'd be spoilt!"

"I'm going to sit at least two of my next accountancy exams while I'm on maternity leave. Sure I'll have tonnes of time to study between feeds!" (I have a good long LOL at that one every time I think of my very over-ambitious aspirations!)

You think you're prepared, and then the time comes! :o

It is SO much tougher than I could ever have expected - but I wouldn't change it for the world!

O stop I totally agree! I was always like "I am not having epidural and will have a silent birth with no roaring and shouting". The reality is the pain was so horrendous I would of been happy with any sort of pain relief even a bit of gas and air but wasn't allowed :( I tell my friends get epidural As soon as your allowed the pain has traumatised me. I did manage to only used one bad word during labour as I actually got a fright with the pain!! Lol lol
    As for the breast feeding, my milk dried up from exhaustion. I actually forgot babies don't sleep through the night! I have told my friend seriously don't even bother trying just give them the bottle, my baby is way more satisfied, content and got into routine straight away.
    O and last but not least "sure it's better to relax at home instead of hospital I only need to stay 6 hours in hospital" what I didn't factor in is the unbelievable amount of visitors I had and hardly got any rest so I tell everyone "stay your 3 days if they will let you"!

I don't mean to sound dismissive when I ask this, but are people really finding it tough? I honestly don't find it too overwhelming. We've had quite a few rough days over the last few weeks with the girls having reflux but even at that it's grand. Maybe it's just that I had prepared myself for it being so horrendously difficult that compared to my imagination its actually so much easier!

Went and got my hair done today while daddy minded the 'twincesses'. I was gone for about 90 mins and I missed them so so much! Daddy took them for a walk so he only had them to 'mind' for about 20 mins. When I walked in the door he looked so relieved. He was feeding one baby, the other was bawling, there was talc all over the floor, along with two pissy nappies, and one baby only had one leg in her baby grow! Hejlooked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and wailed, but what is wrong with her? Why is she crying? We only got home! I said she's hungry. To which he replied 'but she can't be, I'm feeding the other one!' As if he expected them to understand at 10 weeks that they have to take it in turns to feed! :rolleyes:

He was totally shell shocked by the whole thing and kept asking me 'but how do you manage to feed two at once? How do you get them both to stay quiet? How do you wash, change and feed them both without them getting hysterical? I only took E's nappy off and A wouldn't wait and went mad for her bottle!' Ah that's why E only has one leg in her baby grow!!! Lol I hope he remembers this when mothers day comes along!

Lol HL fair play to you! Don't know how you do it!

A lot of us do find it tough these first few weeks. In my case it was an unplanned pregnancy, I don't really have any family support in the area, and I've other health issues to contend with too.

So yes, I'm happy to admit I'm finding it tough - but we're doing OK. :)

Lol HL fair play to you! Don't know how you do it!

A lot of us do find it tough these first few weeks. In my case it was an unplanned pregnancy, I don't really have any family support in the area, and I've other health issues to contend with too.

So yes, I'm happy to admit I'm finding it tough - but we're doing OK. :)

The first few days were a killer! Total sleep deprivation.

As I say I think it's just because I had psyched myself up for it being 100 times worse. I have health problems too and had been warned of a bad flare up within 6-12 weeks of the birth. I have had some crappy days but no big flare up so far thank god.

As for sleep deprivation - well even at only a few hours at a time I am still getting more than when I was pregnant so it's a luxury compared to then!

In a way I am lucky to have family near by, but none of them have kids and whilst they are great for the odd time when I need an extra pair of hands the rest of the time it's like having an extra child and by the time I explain what needs to be done I would have it done myself. For example my sister saw I had a few bottles at the sink for washing. She offered to do them. Then I go inside to find my steriliser banjacksed because she never put any water in it. And when I opened the lid all the bottles were still all milky. She never washed them, just put them straight in the steriliser. Stupid woman thought it was a magical device that washed and sterilised the bottles! She also 'helps' by tidying up which always involves her putting all the stuff I need to hand like extra clothes, wipes, nappies etc in the most impractical place she can find. She is trying to help but only complicates things. She has no kids and is very house proud and I know she is looking at my house and shuddering. But my mess is genuinely an 'organised' mess. There is a reason I don't always put away the babies washing - because in an hour when one pukes and I need a change of clothes I won't need to run upstairs with one baby and leave the other one unattended!

My other sister isn't well as she has had a bad relapse of her MS. She visits me most days and is great for winding babies or holding them for a few minutes, but other than that I look after her, make her lunch, bring her places (she can't drive since 3 years thanks to MS). I'm really more like occupational therapy for her rather than her being my help!

Much as I love and appreciate my family, some days I do wish they lived miles away like my hubby's lot!

• Advertisement

I'm not finding it tough this time around although I'd love a night's sleep. On my first I found the initial weeks quite overwhelming and lonely, but once my son was about 7 or 8 weeks it got a lot easier. This time I'm really enjoying the baby stage as I know it goes by so quickly, he's already getting so big!

O stop I totally agree! I was always like "I am not having epidural and will have a silent birth with no roaring and shouting". The reality is the pain was so horrendous I would of been happy with any sort of pain relief even a bit of gas and air but wasn't allowed :( I tell my friends get epidural As soon as your allowed the pain has traumatised me. I did manage to only used one bad word during labour as I actually got a fright with the pain!! Lol lol

Yeah I was really hoping for no pain relief. People used to ask me, when I was pregnant, if I was scared of labour - I said no, sure women do it all the time, and pain relief wasn't even an option in the past. Be grand!

They induced me even though my waters broke naturally at home and my contractions were only a couple of minutes apart when I got to the hospital, and I'd started dilating. I didn't care at the time, just let them do what they wanted. They promised me an epidural, as they said I'd need it because of the induction when I was already progressing, but there was a big delay getting it and it only kicked in when I was pushing out the placenta. :rolleyes:

And yeah as for the silent birth ... I used to watch One Born Every Minute, and cringe at the yelling and moaning. I'd be totally zen, when my time came. In reality I was mooing like a cow! :D :pac: The noises coming out of me!!! :o
    Bagheera wrote: »
    I'm not finding it tough this time around although I'd love a night's sleep. On my first I found the initial weeks quite overwhelming and lonely, but once my son was about 7 or 8 weeks it got a lot easier. This time I'm really enjoying the baby stage as I know it goes by so quickly, he's already getting so big!

This gives me hope, I'm seven weeks in now! Getting there! :)

I do think I'll enjoy it a lot more and worry a lot less next time around!

I hope all the January babies are well! How is everyone's bcg marks getting on? The scab fell off yesterday one word yuck! A hole in babies arm!! Supposedly This is normal and takes 6 months to heal and it will keep scabbing and falling off etc! He is getting more vaccinations tomorrow. He is going through a growth spurt at the mo hungry all the time! All the 0-3s are packed away and 3-6s went in this weekend, just put on a velour sleep suit from penneys and he is literally bursting out of it!!!! Also has anyone done any baby activities that they would recommend? Particularly in south dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Doing great here,thank god!asleep the last two hours!

Do you know what,there wasn't even a scab on his arm from the bcg shot,i can't even see where it went in,really strange. He is due is two month shot soon,he was two months yesterday,god its flying by.
    Yeah im finding the 0-3 month baby grows are a little tight on length lately,when he got his 6 week check he was measuring 2 feet long! I may get out the longer sizes soon.
    I never even got more than a week in the up to a month clothes,wish now i hadn't bought as much,some he didn't even wear!oh well i will have them for the next one,ha.

Can't help you on the baby activities,im in Celbridge,but i am going to look into baby yoga and swimming too!not sure what age baby has to be for the yoga so ill give a ring and check it out.

My little guy has really found his hands the last few weeks,he loves banging the toys on his bouncer!so funny.

Hope everyone else is doing good x

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Doing great here,thank god!asleep the last two hours!

Do you know what,there wasn't even a scab on his arm from the bcg shot,i can't even see where it went in,really strange. He is due is two month shot soon,he was two months yesterday,god its flying by.
    Yeah im finding the 0-3 month baby grows are a little tight on length lately,when he got his 6 week check he was measuring 2 feet long! I may get out the longer sizes soon.
    I never even got more than a week in the up to a month clothes,wish now i hadn't bought as much,some he didn't even wear!oh well i will have them for the next one,ha.

Can't help you on the baby activities,im in Celbridge,but i am going to look into baby yoga and swinging too!not sure what age baby has to be for the yoga so ill give a ring and check it out.

My little guy has really found his hands the last few weeks,he loves banging the toys on his bouncer!so funny.

Hope everyone else is doing good x

The bcg was so weird was just red then changed at weekend! My babs is 2 months today! I am terrible I haven't done any activities with him as have been very busy with work! I am determined to go to mother and baby group this week! I have looked into swimming but she says they must be 4months old! My babs is asleep too, when he wakes up I have to take this babygrow off him it is actually gaping at the legs and have had to open top button! We have had great crack out of him since week 5 with the smiles!

The bcg was so weird was just red then changed at weekend! My babs is 2 months today! I am terrible I haven't done any activities with him as have been very busy with work! I am determined to go to mother and baby group this week! I have looked into swimming but she says they must be 4months old! My babs is asleep too, when he wakes up I have to take this babygrow off him it is actually gaping at the legs and have had to open top button! We have had great crack out of him since week 5 with the smiles!

Aww aren't the smiles just the best thing you will ever see! I literally could watch it all day! Such a wonderful thing,my guy has a smile for everyone,could win over the hardest hearts!

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Aww aren't the smiles just the best thing you will ever see! I literally could watch it all day! Such a wonderful thing,my guy has a smile for everyone,could win over the hardest hearts!

Me too he even does them in his sleep sometimes! We have been very bold with our tummy time lately! We need to get cracking again on that! Although he lies a lot on me flat and had to lift his head so maybe that could be considered tummy time?

Me too he even does them in his sleep sometimes! We have been very bold with our tummy time lately! We need to get cracking again on that! Although he lies a lot on me flat and had to lift his head so maybe that could be considered tummy time?

Yeah we are the same with the tummy time, every time I think of it I have just fed him and dont want to put him down on a full tummy, hes good at it tho, can lift his head and move it from side to side which is good.
    yep laying on you flat counts too, as long as hes lifting his head your laughing.

How is your little guys head, any flatness? Ours has a bit, really favoured sleeping with his head to the left at the beginning so is a litle bit flat, at six week check the doc recommended the clevamamma pillow and its working great, can see a difference already.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

I hope all the January babies are well! How is everyone's bcg marks getting on? The scab fell off yesterday one word yuck! A hole in babies arm!! Supposedly This is normal and takes 6 months to heal and it will keep scabbing and falling off etc! He is getting more vaccinations tomorrow. He is going through a growth spurt at the mo hungry all the time! All the 0-3s are packed away and 3-6s went in this weekend, just put on a velour sleep suit from penneys and he is literally bursting out of it!!!! Also has anyone done any baby activities that they would recommend? Particularly in south dublin?

Have to join you guys in all the great things you're saying about babas.The phase they are going through now is really enjoyable.Regarding the Bcg, it's still just a red spot and he's due his 2 months jabs tomorrow.I remember the lady at the BCG saying all other jabs a would be the other arm for at least 12 months.Hes also in the 3-6 months clothes.Its funny it's quite like women's clothes in that some shops sizes are small and some are big.Suppose the shops do this so we spend spend spend.Had him at the hospital last week cos he's such a pucker.Thought it was a hernia or pyloric stenosis but thankfully just reflux.Hes on the Gaviscon now and things seem much better.They recommended smaller feeds and more often but to be honest I'm thinking of increasing his feeds.Hes on 5oz at the moment but band on 2.5 hours he's winging for a feed, except for nights when he usually does 4 hours.Looking forward to the 6-8 hour nights.Its tough on your own.Daddy went to Canada 4weeks ago for work on a 2 year contract.Well head over and join him but probably not until May or June.Im actually heading over on Friday for a weekend.Will miss baba like mad but looking forward to seeing OH and getting that elusive 6-8 hour sleep.

• Advertisement

Have to join you guys in all the great things you're saying about babas.The phase they are going through now is really enjoyable.Regarding the Bcg, it's still just a red spot and he's due his 2 months jabs tomorrow.I remember the lady at the BCG saying all other jabs a would be the other arm for at least 12 months.Hes also in the 3-6 months clothes.Its funny it's quite like women's clothes in that some shops sizes are small and some are big.Suppose the shops do this so we spend spend spend.Had him at the hospital last week cos he's such a pucker.Thought it was a hernia or pyloric stenosis but thankfully just reflux.Hes on the Gaviscon now and things seem much better.They recommended smaller feeds and more often but to be honest I'm thinking of increasing his feeds.Hes on 5oz at the moment but band on 2.5 hours he's winging for a feed, except for nights when he usually does 4 hours.Looking forward to the 6-8 hour nights.Its tough on your own.Daddy went to Canada 4weeks ago for work on a 2 year contract.Well head over and join him but probably not until May or June.Im actually heading over on Friday for a weekend.Will miss baba like mad but looking forward to seeing OH and getting that elusive 6-8 hour sleep.

Thankfully just reflux?? Jesus you must be getting off lightly with it. Reflux was the devils own work in our house. The twins have silent reflux and one had so much acid it burned her throat. Thankfully its mow controlled with meds and we get 12 hour sleeping at night (well four hours, then dream feed and then another 8. If I don't do the dream feed they wake at around 4am. Hoping to cut out the dream feed when they go onto solids).

Be careful with gaviscon, it can make baby very constipated. And if you increase the feed you might neef to give him a bigger dose. For reflux it really is better to feed little and often til its settled for at least a month. Reflux can actually be very serious anf can be an indication of possible cows milk protein allergy or intolerance. If he needs gaviscon for more than a few weeks I would ask for a referral to a paediatric gastro because when teething starts the reflux can get very very bad from thr acidity of the saliva.

Advertisement