Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Have to join you guys in all the great things you're saying about babas.The phase they are going through now is really enjoyable.Regarding the Bcg, it's still just a red spot and he's due his 2 months jabs tomorrow.I remember the lady at the BCG saying all other jabs a would be the other arm for at least 12 months.Hes also in the 3-6 months clothes.Its funny it's quite like women's clothes in that some shops sizes are small and some are big.Suppose the shops do this so we spend spend spend.Had him at the hospital last week cos he's such a pucker.Thought it was a hernia or pyloric stenosis but thankfully just reflux.Hes on the Gaviscon now and things seem much better.They recommended smaller feeds and more often but to be honest I'm thinking of increasing his feeds.Hes on 5oz at the moment but band on 2.5 hours he's winging for a feed, except for nights when he usually does 4 hours.Looking forward to the 6-8 hour nights.Its tough on your own.Daddy went to Canada 4weeks ago for work on a 2 year contract.Well head over and join him but probably not until May or June.Im actually heading over on Friday for a weekend.Will miss baba like mad but looking forward to seeing OH and getting that elusive 6-8 hour sleep.

That pillow I got for my little man is great for reflux too im told, you can get them in mother care and argos, have a look!

About the feeds, going by the box mine should be on 5 ounces too, but I was finding he was still hungry after every feed, so I asked the doc and she said stick anothet ounce in the bottle, if he wants it he will drink it, if he doesnt well what harm, I some times think mine could go 7 or 8 ounces, you should try the extra ounce, the box is a guide and plus my guy at 6 weeks was the weight for an 8 to 10 week old.
    the extra ounce might help yours sleep that bit longer at nite too, I gave him his last feed there at half nine and he will sleep untill between 6 and 7 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Have to join you guys in all the great things you're saying about babas.The phase they are going through now is really enjoyable.Regarding the Bcg, it's still just a red spot and he's due his 2 months jabs tomorrow.I remember the lady at the BCG saying all other jabs a would be the other arm for at least 12 months.Hes also in the 3-6 months clothes.Its funny it's quite like women's clothes in that some shops sizes are small and some are big.Suppose the shops do this so we spend spend spend.Had him at the hospital last week cos he's such a pucker.Thought it was a hernia or pyloric stenosis but thankfully just reflux.Hes on the Gaviscon now and things seem much better.They recommended smaller feeds and more often but to be honest I'm thinking of increasing his feeds.Hes on 5oz at the moment but band on 2.5 hours he's winging for a feed, except for nights when he usually does 4 hours.Looking forward to the 6-8 hour nights.Its tough on your own.Daddy went to Canada 4weeks ago for work on a 2 year contract.Well head over and join him but probably not until May or June.Im actually heading over on Friday for a weekend.Will miss baba like mad but looking forward to seeing OH and getting that elusive 6-8 hour sleep.

Leitrim lady fair play to you for doing it all by yourself till the summer :) Canada will be fab for you guys. Canadians are so friendly and they love irish people. I have been to Toronto a good few times (have relations there) and it gets hot hot hot in the summer! The humidity is insane and actually would send my hair crazy (Think Monica from friends) if I didn't get 12 week blow dry lol lol. What part are you going to? I did Canada in a weekend too but stayed on irish time to avoid the jet lag!! Lol lol

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Yeah we are the same with the tummy time, every time I think of it I have just fed him and dont want to put him down on a full tummy, hes good at it tho, can lift his head and move it from side to side which is good.
    yep laying on you flat counts too, as long as hes lifting his head your laughing.

How is your little guys head, any flatness? Ours has a bit, really favoured sleeping with his head to the left at the beginning so is a litle bit flat, at six week check the doc recommended the clevamamma pillow and its working great, can see a difference already.

I got the clevamamma pillow too because I was worried he might get flathead lol. No one in my family believed me such a thing existed and thought I made it up! He has great head control when if you hold him don't know if he can move side to side lying down will check that out in the morning! I am terrible it don't pay much attention to these things. Our gp is so bad he didn't even know what tummy time was!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Hi Millem,
    OH in Edmonton in Alberta.Has been -33 lately so will be packing the woollies.I have an IEC visa that expires end of March which allows me to work there for 2 years In any field so going to activate that at the border.Would be able to work on the back of his Lmo visa but restricted in what I could do so that's the reason for the weekend away.Will be grand heading over as the time difference is manageable but the return journey is a long time.Night times are the hardest Nd I've had a few instances of baba crying and not settling and then me joining in.Its the darkness that gets me.There are no cars passing on the road and you just feel alone and sorry for yourself but Skype is great and 4 am here is 10 pm there so that usually sorts me out.Had been feeling down before OH left but surprisingly feel better lately.Maybe goes I see this wee fella making progress and the weeks are passing by.I have a hen weekend and wedding coming up so it's great to have a date to aim for and focus on.Plus OH home for a week for the christening.Time will fly by..:)

Millem wrote: »
    I got the clevamamma pillow too because I was worried he might get flathead lol. No one in my family believed me such a thing existed and thought I made it up! He has great head control when if you hold him don't know if he can move side to side lying down will check that out in the morning! Our gp is so bad he didn't even know what tummy time was!

oh god,thats not good about your doc,ha. Thankfully mine seems to know her stuff.

The pillow is great too isn't it,think he gets a better sleep with it too since hes tilted a bit,i wouldn't like sleeping flat on my head to be honest,with no support.

Yeah check the head movement,put him down with his head facing to the right,then you move to the other side of him and tease him over the other side if you get me,like jingle a toy or something,he prob won't like it too much but sure it has to be done

• Advertisement

Thankfully just reflux?? Jesus you must be getting off lightly with it. Reflux was the devils own work in our house. The twins have silent reflux and one had so much acid it burned her throat. Thankfully its mow controlled with meds and we get 12 hour sleeping at night (well four hours, then dream feed and then another 8. If I don't do the dream feed they wake at around 4am. Hoping to cut out the dream feed when they go onto solids).

Be careful with gaviscon, it can make baby very constipated. And if you increase the feed you might neef to give him a bigger dose. For reflux it really is better to feed little and often til its settled for at least a month. Reflux can actually be very serious anf can be an indication of possible cows milk protein allergy or intolerance. If he needs gaviscon for more than a few weeks I would ask for a referral to a paediatric gastro because when teething starts the reflux can get very very bad from thr acidity of the saliva.

He used to go 3,4or 5 days without a dirty nappy and since the Gaviscon and change of formula he's gone every day and sometimes twice a day.I say thankfully reflux cos pyloric stenosis would have meant surgery so it's great it's not that.the reflux was quite bad.Used to hate going anywhere and having to feed him cos he puked everywhere.We went through ALOT of kitchen roll here cleaning the floors.Thankfullly we've no carpet.When you say Dream feed what do you mean...

Hi Millem,
    OH in Edmonton in Alberta.Has been -33 lately so will be packing the woollies.I have an IEC visa that expires end of March which allows me to work there for 2 years In any field so going to activate that at the border.Would be able to work on the back of his Lmo visa but restricted in what I could do so that's the reason for the weekend away.Will be grand heading over as the time difference is manageable but the return journey is a long time.Night times are the hardest Nd I've had a few instances of baba crying and not settling and then me joining in.Its the darkness that getts me.There are no cars passing on the road and you just feel alone and sorry for yourself but Skype is great and 4 am here is 10 pm there so that usually sorts me out.Had been feeling down before OH left but surprisingly feel better lately.Maybe goes I see this wee fella making progress and the weeks are passing by.I have a hen weekend and wedding coming up so it's great to have a date to aim for and focus on.Plus OH home for a week for the christening.Time will fly by..:)

O Jes -33!!! The coldest I ever had was -17 in Toronto! They are well equipped for it over there though! My babs got the cutest trapper hat and mittens as a pressie from Canada (not being biased but you would actually steal him in it! It has built in ear muffs lol lol) sooo warm! Skype is brill! May will fly in before you know it! Don't know much about visas but I vaguely remember something about reactivating/renewing them in niagra falls on USA side? Is Edmonton north? I don't think it is meant to be as expensive as Toronto which is a big rip off! Hopefully you will get your own tv on the plane :)

That pillow I got for my little man is great for reflux too im told, you can get them in mother care and argos, have a look!

About the feeds, going by the box mine should be on 5 ounces too, but I was finding he was still hungry after every feed, so I asked the doc and she said stick anothet ounce in the bottle, if he wants it he will drink it, if he doesnt well what harm, I some times think mine could go 7 or 8 ounces, you should try the extra ounce, the box is a guide and plus my guy at 6 weeks was the weight for an 8 to 10 week old.
    the extra ounce might help yours sleep that bit longer at nite too, I gave him his last feed there at half nine and he will sleep untill between 6 and 7 in the morning.

Gonna try that pillow.Have some Moses basket sheets I bought still in packaging that I'll not be using so I'll return them and get that pillow.Have his basket tilted anyway but pillow should help too.Just fed him there at 10.30 and will be lucky if he's not up by3..then maybe 7 if I'm lucky.How dud you manage to get that routine sorted or has he always been like that?

oh god,thats not good about your doc,ha. Thankfully mine seems to know her stuff.

The pillow is great too isn't it,think he gets a better sleep with it too since hes tilted a bit,i wouldn't like sleeping flat on my head to be honest,with no support.

Yeah check the head movement,put him down with his head facing to the right,then you move to the other side of him and tease him over the other side if you get me,like jingle a toy or something,he prob won't like it too much but sure it has to be done

Do you know what I actually think he can do it! I vaguely have a memory of him lying on his belly huffing and poofing (giving out) moving it! Lol My memory is shocking! No joke of a lie! I am going to get him the toddler pillow too when the time comes! He spends a lot of time on my belly as I was so afraid of flat head! Lol gp is dreadful dreadful. He was so annoying during my pregnancy. I never had a gp as was never sick so literally just picked him out of handiness.

Gonna try that pillow.Have some Moses basket sheets I bought still in packaging that I'll not be using so I'll return them and get that pillow.Have his basket tilted anyway but pillow should help too.Just fed him there at 10.30 and will be lucky if he's not up by3..then maybe 7 if I'm lucky.How dud you manage to get that routine sorted or has he always been like that?

He sort of got into that routine himself,the first time it happened that he slept that long i thought was a once off,but hes been doin it since he was three weeks,he gets a bottle at around 6ish in the evenin and then will sleep till his half nine bottle,i more often than not have to wake him up for that feed,and then he does be falling asleep on the bottle,i think thats dream feeding.

Yep get the pillow,only €20,great value. Can't recommend it enough.

• Advertisement

Do you know what I actually think he can do it! I vaguely have a memory of him lying on his belly huffing and poofing (giving out) moving it! Lol My memory is shocking! No joke of a lie! I am going to get him the toddler pillow too when the time comes! He spends a lot of time on my belly as I was so afraid of flat head! Lol gp is dreadful dreadful. He was so annoying during my pregnancy. I never had a gp as was never sick so literally just picked him out of handiness.

ha,yep that sounds exactly like my guy,giving out stink that he has to do it,the look he does give me when i pick him up after it.

Its amazing how quickly they get their little personality isn't it,so funny.

Will definitely get the toddler pillow too.

He sort of got into that routine himself,the first time it happened that he slept that long i thought was a once off,but hes been doin it since he was three weeks,he gets a bottle at around 6ish in the evenin and then will sleep till his half nine bottle,i more often than not have to wake him up for that feed,and then he does be falling asleep on the bottle,i think thats dream feeding.

Yep get the pillow,only €20,great value. Can't recommend it enough.

I put the pillow under fitted sheet. Our Moses basket matress is 5cm in depth which is the deepest it is allowed to be and his dead was actually leaving a debt in mattress after a nights sleep lol so can't have been too comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

He used to go 3,4or 5 days without a dirty nappy and since the Gaviscon and change of formula he's gone every day and sometimes twice a day.I say thankfully reflux cos pyloric stenosis would have meant surgery so it's great it's not that.the reflux was quite bad.Used to hate going anywhere and having to feed him cos he puked everywhere.We went through ALOT of kitchen roll here cleaning the floors.Thankfullly we've no carpet.When you say Dream feed what do you mean...

dream feedingvis where you feed them without fully waking them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Sami23

Just wondering how do you all do this so called 'dream feed' without waking your babies. There's no way our little one will stay asleep while feeding her and changing her nappy ?

What formula did you change to and from Leitrim Lady as our LO is on Aptimal and not sure if it satifies her hunger that well ?
    Thanks

Sami23 wrote: »
    Just wondering how do you all do this so called 'dream feed' without waking your babies. There's no way our little one will stay asleep while feeding her and changing her nappy ?

What formula did you change to and from Leitrim Lady as our LO is on Aptimal and not sure if it satifies her hunger that well ?
    Thanks

I dream feed too. When I hear a rustle I give the bottle and change the nappy. Basically feed before baby wakes up and all he'll breaks loose. Mine is on aptimal but gets more oz than it says on the back of tin! I recently saw this organic formula called hipp (I think) which I am looking into! They also have a "goodnight milk" for over 6 months :)

Thanks

well they don't stay fully asleep but more so they dont fully wake up so its easier then to settle them back.i find that having the room dark also helps.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I used Aptamil Comfort from 2 weeks of age because of lack of dirty nappies.PHN said to change as he must be constipated.He farted a lot too and that formula is supposed to be good for wind too but to be honest it's the Aptamil 1 he's back on.Hes had dirty nappies every day this last week.The noises he's making now lead ,e to believe he's leaving me another lovely surprise.
    Re that dream feeding I just hate the thoughts of unnecessarily feeding but I'll give it ago next week for a few nights.Cant hurt to try.
    Had his 2 month jabs today.One in each thigh.Handy having a bottle ready to comfort them after.Been as good as gold since.Recommended to buy Calpol as they can have a temperature after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone using Aptimal 'Hungry Milk' or at what age is is ok to move on to it as I remember one of the midwives saying not to use it if possible. Thing is the another midwife would probably recommend it as they all have their own opinions ?

Anyone using Aptimal 'Hungry Milk' or at what age is is ok to move on to it as I remember one of the midwives saying not to use it if possible. Thing is the another midwife would probably recommend it as they all have their own opinions ?

I've bought one large bottle of the hungry milk as he's feeding every 3 hours during the day.I asked the PHN and she said to wait.The way she explained it was that as he gets bigger and is on 8oz and feeding 2-3 hours you really have nowhere to go and that's the time to use the hungry feed.If you introduce it now when they're on 8oz very regular feeds you'll be feeding non stop.Kinda made sense.One of the only things I think she got right!!!

Rather than give 'hungry milk' you could try thickening the milk slightly for one or two feeds - say the first one in the morning and last at night and see if that helps. There are a few brands of thickeners, they are mainly just rice flour or corn starch.

• Advertisement

Rather than give 'hungry milk' you could try thickening the milk slightly for one or two feeds - say the first one in the morning and last at night and see if that helps. There are a few brands of thickeners, they are mainly just rice flour or corn starch.

Just wondering what size nappies are you guys using? We using up the last of size 2 then going to size 3. Size 2 still fit him but I am sure he must be or near the weight limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Just wondering what size nappies are you guys using? We using up the last of size 2 then going to size 3. Size 2 still fit him but I am sure he must be or near the weight limit.

We're in the 3s now, no leaks at all, which is great! (We'd had the odd one when he was in the 2s.) He's almost 10 weeks now. We're using Pampers, and they seem to suit him, we only use wipes, he doesn't need any Sudocreme etc ... I'd love to change to a cheaper brand, but I'm afraid his skin would get irritated! :/

We're in the 3s now, no leaks at all, which is great! (We'd had the odd one when he was in the 2s.) He's almost 10 weeks now. We're using Pampers, and they seem to suit him, we only use wipes, he doesn't need any Sudocreme etc ... I'd love to change to a cheaper brand, but I'm afraid his skin would get irritated! :/

My babs has real sensitive skin and didn't have a problem with any brands we still haven't used our sudocrem! We are using pampers sensitive size 2s (they are way better than pampers new baby) and aldi size 2s at night!
    Chattastrope pampers baby dry (size 3 up) are the cheapest nappies if you get them childrens allowance week (under 11c each) cheaper than aldi/lidl/tesco as they are BOGOF (aldi etc are same price all year round so more expensive than pampers during children's allowance week!). I opened baby dry today and filled up changing station, is it just me or is there a funny smell off them? I only have pampers from size 3 up hope they are good for night time if not I will be buying aldi for night. Sooooo much padding never had an accident :)

How many ozs are the bottle fed babies drinking. My babs is such a hungry baby! Back of box tells me 30 oz but so far today we are 28 ozs! I reckon with maybe another 10 oz before midnight!! (Could even be more!) Thank god fôr the tommee tippee machine! He is just over 9 weeks! Am I overfeeding? He doesn't get sick or anything! My MIL told me to give him a bottle of cooled boiled water (supposedly this was done back in the day!) but I know you aren't to do it now!

Mine has a lot less than that, he has 5-6 5oz-6oz bottles a day (i.e. we give him 6oz each time but he doesn't usually finish them), so I guess that works out at around 30oz per day on average? He's ten weeks old now.

He was weighed by the PHN only the other day, he was in the 25th percentile when he was born (seven pounds three ounces), he is still exactly in the 25th percentile, so she said that was perfect and to keep doing what we're doing!

Mine has a lot less than that, he has 5-6 5oz-6oz bottles a day (i.e. we give him 6oz each time but he doesn't usually finish them), so I guess that works out at around 30oz per day on average? He's ten weeks old now.

He was weighed by the PHN only the other day, he was in the 25th percentile when he was born (seven pounds three ounces), he is still exactly in the 25th percentile, so she said that was perfect and to keep doing what we're doing!

Mine was 8lbs 12ozs at birth! He last got weighed at 4 weeks and he was 10 and half ish lbs (I think). He was then getting 4oz bottles PHN told me to start giving him 5oz bottles for 1 week then move to 6oz bottles. He won't be getting weighed till 12 week check! Technically now he is on 6oz but he wants more and feeds sometimes 2 and half to 3 hours so have been offering 4oz and then make another 4oz! He is real long not fat though! But I wouldn't have a clue what he weighs! What does your babs weigh now and did you get the nappies?

Mine was 8lbs 12ozs at birth! He last got weighed at 4 weeks and he was 10 and half ish lbs (I think). He was then getting 4oz bottles PHN told me to start giving him 5oz bottles for 1 week then move to 6oz bottles. He won't be getting weighed till 12 week check! Technically now he is on 6oz but he wants more and feeds sometimes 2 and half to 3 hours so have been offering 4oz and then make another 4oz! He is real long not fat though! But I wouldn't have a clue what he weighs! What does your babs weigh now and did you get the nappies?

She didn't actually tell me what he weighed, must ask her! He's the same, not fat but very long! Honestly I'd go with your instincts, I'm sure he's perfect. :) I worry that mine isn't feeding enough, but the nurse says he's grand.

Went for the Baby Dry nappies in the end! But only got two packs, will wait for Childrens Allowance week to stock up. Thanks for the advice! ;)

Actually! Speaking of Childrens Allowance ... we're going for the registration next week (it's so bad, we haven't done it yet!), anything we need to bring?

• Advertisement

She didn't actually tell me what he weighed, must ask her! He's the same, not fat but very long! Honestly I'd go with your instincts, I'm sure he's perfect. :) I worry that mine isn't feeding enough, but the nurse says he's grand.

Went for the Baby Dry nappies in the end! ;) Thanks!

He is just perfect! Just a great grubber! I think he fills himself up during day as at night he sleeps for maybe 10-5 without waking up and at that only takes 4ozs! I worked out I have 2 months of size 3s do you reckon this is enough or are they in them for longer? Don't know what size to get next week! Should of gotten that box in clarehall was just too wrecked and won't be back in that direction for another 3 weeks! Not to worry!

Advertisement