Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Actually! Speaking of Childrens Allowance ... we're going for the registration next week (it's so bad, we haven't done it yet!), anything we need to bring?

Passports for you and your oh. (Mane driving license might do?) They will start process for children's allowance! Ring in advance to make sure they have your babies details. I am sure they do as holles street send them but just in case I would ring! Baby will be under mothers surname

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Millem wrote: »
    He is just perfect! Just a great grubber! I think he fills himself up during day as at night he sleeps for maybe 10-5 without waking up and at that only takes 4ozs! I worked out I have 2 months of size 3s do you reckon this is enough or are they in them for longer? Don't know what size to get next week! Should of gotten that box in clarehall was just too wrecked and won't be back in that direction for another 3 weeks! Not to worry!

Two months of them, god, I would just love to see this nappie mountain of yours! :D We think we're doing well when we've enough to see him through the next week!

No idea how long they stay in the 3s for, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

My little guy gets 5-6 bottles a day and there is 6 ounces in each bottle,more often than not he will suck them dry,the only bottle he doesn't ever finish is tho bed time one cos he is usually half asleep! At his 6 week check he measured 61 cm long,hes 9 weeks old. And we weighed him yesterday and he weighs almost 14 pounds,not fat tho either,i find a lot of the time that he is looking for more food ,so i might just put the extra ounce in and sure if he wants it he will drink it and if not no harm. Ive a few size 2 nappies to use up,maybe 40 and after that he is into size 3.

Coopaloop wrote: »
    My little guy gets 5-6 bottles a day and there is 6 ounces in each bottle,more often than not he will suck them dry,the only bottle he doesn't ever finish is tho bed time one cos he is usually half asleep! At his 6 week check he measured 61 cm long,hes 9 weeks old. And we weighed him yesterday and he weighs almost 14 pounds,not fat tho either,i find a lot of the time that he is looking for more food ,so i might just put the extra ounce in and sure if he wants it he will drink it and if not no harm. Ive a few size 2 nappies to use up,maybe 40 and after that he is into size 3.

I have 4 size 2s left! But am using size 3a as think the 2s are bit small on him!

I have 4 size 2s left! But am using size 3a as think the 2s are bit small on him!

Yeah he is squeezing into them now,ill finish them out and move up a size then. Can't believe how fast he is growing!

• Advertisement

Two months of them, god, I would just love to see this nappie mountain of yours! :D We think we're doing well when we've enough to see him through the next week!

No idea how long they stay in the 3s for, sorry!

I buy 140ish every month when they are on BOGOF :) from tomorrow I will also have a wipes mountain lol! I like to be ahead of myself and refuse to pay full price :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Sami23

What formula are all the bottle fed babies on here. Our little woman is on Aptimal and loves it. :)

Sami23 wrote: »
    What formula are all the bottle fed babies on here. Our little woman is on Aptimal and loves it. :)

We are on aptimal too :)

Same! No problems at all with it,except Ive just given him 6 ounces and you would swear i hadn't fed him at all by the way he looked at me when i took the bottle away empty.

What are all the January babies sleeping in? My lad is in a Moses basket which he has nearly grown out of :( his cot bed is in his own room ready to go (but I think it is too big for him now!), Is it worth getting a crib?

• Advertisement

What are all the January babies sleeping in? My lad is in a Moses basket which he has nearly grown out of :( his cot bed is in his own room ready to go (but I think it is too big for him now!), Is it worth getting a crib?

We got a moses basket and a crib as presents off my two bothers,he was in the basket until two weeks ago,we then moved him into the crib so he would have more room,and to be honest he won't be very long in this either,he wakes himself up when he moves his arms cos they bang off the si de! We need something for him to sleep in down stairs for naps during the day so we are gettin a travel cot,saw a good one on the baby elegance website,its €75 euro and has a crib feature too so you can pop them into that. If i didn't have the crib as a gift i wouldn't have got one myself,its not worth it really. But the travel cot is something that can be used for a long time,i like you think its too soon for his cot.

Same! No problems at all with it,except Ive just given him 6 ounces and you would swear i hadn't fed him at all by the way he looked at me when i took the bottle away empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

SMA comfort. TBH they honestly will take anything. They've been on several different ones trying to sort out their reflux and take any milk no bother. But I prefer to give them SMA as it doesn't contain any fish and is vegetarian and halal approved.

Both girls sleep in their rocker nappers in the day and their cots at night. Don't worry about it being too big - they are feet to foot anyway so they will not even be aware of the extra bed at this stage.

Sami23 wrote: »

We're using SMA ... I hadn't planned on bottle-feeding, so had done no research into the different formulas, his blood sugar went extremely low the first day in hospital and SMA was what the midwife decided to give him, so I stuck with that! Seems to suit him OK anyways.

He's still in his Moses basket but is definitely getting too big for it, my boyfriend has promised to (finally!) set up his cot tonight. He'll stay in the room with us for another while though, I think until he's regularly sleeping through the night.

I don't really see any point in getting a crib/cradle when he'd only be in it another couple of months anyways ... in fact, if we went again, I don't think I'd bother with the basket at all and would just use the cot from the start! Our basket is all bent out of shape at this stage, from stuffing towels under the mattress to put it at an incline (reflux), so I'm not sure I'd be happy to use it for another baby, and I wouldn't go buying another one.

We're using SMA ... I hadn't planned on bottle-feeding, so had done no research into the different formulas, his blood sugar went extremely low the first day in hospital and SMA was what the midwife decided to give him, so I stuck with that! Seems to suit him OK anyways.

He's still in his Moses basket but is definitely getting too big for it, my boyfriend has promised to (finally!) set up his cot tonight. He'll stay in the room with us for another while though, I think until he's regularly sleeping through the night.

I don't really see any point in getting a crib/cradle when he'd only be in it another couple of months anyways ... in fact, if we went again, I don't think I'd bother with the basket at all and would just use the cot from the start! Our basket is all bent out of shape at this stage, from stuffing towels under the mattress to put it at an incline (reflux), so I'm not sure I'd be happy to use it for another baby, and I wouldn't go buying another one.

Do you not think cots and cotbeds look huge? I swear I would nearly fit in it lol lol! Crib mattress are around 89cm where my moses is 65cm. I would get a crib on adverts but buy new mattress so I am not going to pay more than €40! I never wanted Moses basket but my mum insisted (it is our family one!) and is one of those hard wicker ones that don't bend! I haven't seen them in shops just the bendy ones that are made from maize? I would recommend a wicker one though real sturdy even with 3 dogs who all try and sleep under it lol! Maybe I will just put him in cot bed? Is your cot 120cm x 60cm? (Standard size)

Do you not think cots and cotbeds look huge? I swear I would nearly fit in it lol lol! Crib mattress are around 89cm where my moses is 65cm. I would get a crib on adverts but buy new mattress so I am not going to pay more than €40! I never wanted Moses basket but my mum insisted (it is our family one!) and is one of those hard wicker ones that don't bend! I haven't seen them in shops just the bendy ones that are made from maize? I would recommend a wicker one though real sturdy even with 3 dogs who all try and sleep under it lol! Maybe I will just put him in cot bed? Is your cot 120cm x 60cm? (Standard size)

Yep standard size, it's this one. I don't think the size of it will bother me? And I'm sure he won't even notice! :D As Hello Lady! said, they'll be feet to the bottom anyways, so it doesn't really matter about all the extra space.

OK we had the first night in the cot last night.

He slept great! Now that he's in it, I don't know why we didn't make the move sooner - he looks so much happier with all the extra space, not constantly hitting the sides of the basket when he's waving his arms around. Also I think he likes the fact that he can see all around the room now. And I'm much happier now that we're using a good firm supportive mattress ... we'd been using the one that came with the Moses basket (I'm not sure if most people get them separately?), I'm not sure of the quality of it at all.

I was a bit worried it would kill my back putting him in and out ... but, actually, we have it on the highest setting and he's actually up higher than he was in the basket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

just having a quick look around here while baby is asleep ;-)

we're using a co-sleeper bed (basically a cot with one side missing, gets pushed onto the side of our bed) - it's brilliant especially for breastfeeding as you dont have to get up, you just pull baby close and off you go. It's a good size too, so that he'll stay in it for about 6 months. Then it converts to a bench ;-)

other than that, it's mental busy in this household. The amount of laundry, dishes and dirt a baby and a toddler (and a husband :D) produce is unreal. Feel like it never ends...(and have the ESB bills to boot :mad:). Could also do with more sleep, but hey...

galah wrote: »

other than that, it's mental busy in this household. The amount of laundry, dishes and dirt a baby and a toddler (and a husband :D) produce is unreal. Feel like it never ends...(and have the ESB bills to boot :mad:). Could also do with more sleep, but hey...
    Try doing it with twins! :D
    But I wouldn't swap it for the world, love being so busy with them, the day flies in. And my reward for double the work is double the smiles!

Try doing it with twins! :D
    But I wouldn't swap it for the world, love being so busy with them, the day flies in. And my reward for double the work is double the smiles!

Hello lady! I think you should also get double the maternity leave !!

• Advertisement

Hello lady! I think you should also get double the maternity leave !!

I wish! They should at least allow a few extra weeks, but alas no :(

I wish! They should at least allow a few extra weeks, but alas no :(

I am not joking you really should get double! I am back to work in 24ish weeks :( don't want to think about it

I am not joking you really should get double! I am back to work in 24ish weeks :( don't want to think about it

Only taking the 26 weeks with maternity benefit. Can't afford to take the unpaid as its a big drop in income for us. Only going back 3 days and hubby changed his shifts so we only need help with childcare 2 days a week. Luckily I have family help those days.

Only taking the 26 weeks with maternity benefit. Can't afford to take the unpaid as its a big drop in income for us. Only going back 3 days and hubby changed his shifts so we only need help with childcare 2 days a week. Luckily I have family help those days.

I know what you mean I didn't take unpaid leave but am teacher so mat leave finished 31st may hols are 1st June till sept :) am going back full time hopefully only need childcare 2 and half days (fingers crossed) couldn't bear him with strangers for 5 days so hopefully it won't happen ! It's funny how some people love going back to work I am the opposite. 5 days of childcare with twins would be incredibly expensive!

I'm a little worried about going back to work, basically because I seem to have forgotten how to multitask, and it's kind of essential in my job.

Also the thought of having to get myself and himself ready in the mornings and get together whatever he needs for creche and leave him there and make the trek into town every day kind of scares me a little bit. Let alone having to do a day's work afterwards!! I'll have to get up at some insane hour to get us organised. I guess everyone else manages it though, so I will too. I can't afford to take any additional unpaid leave unfortunately.

He'll be in creche full-time, five days a week. No family in the area. I've already paid the deposit for the creche, but now I'm sort of wondering if I should have done more research into getting a childminder, at least for the first few months ...? I do really like the creche though, and I feel quite happy with the idea of leaving him there, I feel I can trust them. And it's a montessori too, which is great.

Millem is right, you should really be entitled to double the maternity leave for twins. I wonder if they do it that way in any other countries? It seems only fair!

I'm a little worried about going back to work, basically because I seem to have forgotten how to multitask, and it's kind of essential in my job.

Also the thought of having to get myself and himself ready in the mornings and get together whatever he needs for creche and leave him there and make the trek into town every day kind of scares me a little bit. Let alone having to do a day's work afterwards!! I'll have to get up at some insane hour to get us organised. I guess everyone else manages it though, so I will too. I can't afford to take any additional unpaid leave unfortunately.

He'll be in creche full-time, five days a week. No family in the area. I've already paid the deposit for the creche, but now I'm sort of wondering if I should have done more research into getting a childminder, at least for the first few months ...? I do really like the creche though, and I feel quite happy with the idea of leaving him there, I feel I can trust them. And it's a montessori too, which is great.

Millem is right, you should really be entitled to double the maternity leave for twins. I wonder if they do it that way in any other countries? It seems only fair!

I have the same worries about getting up at insane o clock! A lot of people in work have an au pair and said that is a major plus as babs can stay in bed etc! But somehow I doubt am au pair would want to stay in our house with three big dogs (who think they are teeny tiny!) lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Hat of to you hello lady, i really don't know how you do it!

As regards creche n work, you'll get used to it, and after a while the childminder is no stranger but becomes a friend. But the first few weeks were hard, leaving your baby with someone who gets to see them more than you do, gets to experience all the little things while you slave away...then again, after almost a year at home i did crave the adult world a little, adult conversations etc. Don't think i could handle aupairs though, essentially another child in the house, and we wouldn't have the space. If we ever win the lottery however ;-)

But it was a shock to the system, i start work at 7 am so i can be home early. This will be even more crazy when this baby gets older, trying to get two ready and sorted will be a challenge. Zero family here to help out either, my folks have to be flown in from abroad for anything, so unplanned sickness is always a worry..thankfully my work is fairly flexible with this kind of stuff!

But until then don't worry and enjoy maternity leave, it's over so quickly!

As regards creche n work, you'll get used to it, and after a while the childminder is no stranger but becomes a friend. But the first few weeks were hard, leaving your baby with someone who gets to see them more than you do, gets to experience all the little things while you slave away...then again, after almost a year at home i did crave the adult world a little, adult conversations etc. Don't think i could handle aupairs though, essentially another child in the house, and we wouldn't have the space. If we ever win the lottery however ;-)

But it was a shock to the system, i start work at 7 am so i can be home early. This will be even more crazy when this baby gets older, trying to get two ready and sorted will be a challenge. Zero family here to help out either, my folks have to be flown in from abroad for anything, so unplanned sickness is always a worry..thankfully my work is fairly flexible with this kind of stuff!

I would defo consider au pair if I had two but not just one as I did the sums and i don't think it is cheaper plus having the huge inconvienence of living with a stranger! I keep telling myself I am blessed as only work 30something weeks of year! I defo get one half day per week and with a bit of luck might get two! (Had two half days this year!). I know we get parental leave too but want to save that for when he starts primary school!

I'm the same - I love my time with my girls and will miss them terribly when I go back but I do love my job and miss it too. And wonder if itais being done as I would do it or will I get back to a huge mess!!!

It is great in one way having family nearby but it has its negatives too - can be tricky ensuring family care for the kids, do/don't do things the way you want. At least with a hired employee its a much clearer line. But woukd never consider an au pair with young twins. Can't imagine many twenty something year olds would be prepared for caring for 6 month old twins!

At least for me the girls can stay in their own home and wont have to get up and dressed before I leave for work at 7. I am hoping that if their routine stays as it is they will wake around 6, so I will get to feed them myself before I head off to work. But we'll have to see if the clocks changing messes their routine up!!! :-/

• Advertisement

I'm the same - I love my time with my girls and will miss them terribly when I go back but I do love my job and miss it too. And wonder if itais being done as I would do it or will I get back to a huge mess!!!

It is great in one way having family nearby but it has its negatives too - can be tricky ensuring family care for the kids, do/don't do things the way you want. At least with a hired employee its a much clearer line. But woukd never consider an au pair with young twins. Can't imagine many twenty something year olds would be prepared for caring for 6 month old twins!

At least for me the girls can stay in their own home and wont have to get up and dressed before I leave for work at 7. I am hoping that if their routine stays as it is they will wake around 6, so I will get to feed them myself before I head off to work. But we'll have to see if the clocks changing messes their routine up!!! :-/

Advertisement