Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

We'll Im delighted to say that I don't have to think about work just yet.I will be handing in my notice 4weeks before I'm due back.OH in Canada and we're following at end of May.I was out there last weekend for a few days.Its different!!We headed out Saturday night for a bite to eat and a few drinks and it was -9c.If that wAs here I'd be in my pjs snuggled up in front of the fire.

A question for you all.How do u feel about placing baba on their front to sleep?.My fella loves falling asleep on me and usually stays comatose until next feed.My MIL had him while I was away and he did great at night for her on his front.Now his face is always to the side so he's not down totally on mouth and nose.Years ago it was the done thing but now you're advised to put them on their back..I tried it last night but didn't get much sleep.Kept checking he was breathing but I know that will go in time once I see he is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We'll Im delighted to say that I don't have to think about work just yet.I will be handing in my notice 4weeks before I'm due back.OH in Canada and we're following at end of May.I was out there last weekend for a few days.Its different!!We headed out Saturday night for a bite to eat and a few drinks and it was -9c.If that wAs here I'd be in my pjs snuggled up in front of the fire.

A question for you all.How do u feel about placing baba on their front to sleep?.My fella loves falling asleep on me and usually stays comatose until next feed.My MIL had him while I was away and he did great at night for her on his front.Now his face is always to the side so he's not down totally on mouth and nose.Years ago it was the done thing but now you're advised to put them on their back..I tried it last night but didn't get much sleep.Kept checking he was breathing but I know that will go in time once I see he is ok.

I would be be too afraid to put baby asleep on belly

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

On doctors orders one of my little ones slept on her front. It was the only comfy position for her with her reflux and it was safer as she vomited in her sleep a few times on her back. Luckily each time she was propped up on an angle and I heard her so she didn't choke but it frightened the life out of me. As the doctor pointed out, on her back she might twist and turn and not be on a proper incline. If that happens and she vomits she could choke. She can lift her head and twist and turn it so she should be safe on her front - safer than her back anyway. I tried it first when I was watching her or she was in my bed and she was well able to move her head and didn't bury it into the mattress like some babies so I decided to go for it. First night I didn't sleep a wink but after that I got less worried. I kept planning on getting one of those monitors you put under the mattress but after a few days didn't feel the need. Shes 14 weeks today anf for the last fortnight is back on her back as hrr reflux is well controlled and she seems to want to be that way herself.

It really is entirely up to you. If yoy are comfortable with it I say do it if it helps babs sleep. Maon thing is to ensure he doesn't get too hot because on their front they can't kick off blankets when they're hot like they can on their back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Little dude is teething. :( He's only three months old!

He barely cried for the first few months, so the last couple of days have been a bit of a shock to the system. :o

Pharmacist gave me Teetha gel, and said to alternate Calpol and Neurofen. I think it's helping him a bit.

He's finally asleep now after whinging and crying and gnawing on his fingers all day. I have teething toys for him, but he has no interest in them! I suppose he's a bit young yet, he doesn't really have the coordination.

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

He barely cried for the first few months, so the last couple of days have been a bit of a shock to the system. :o

Pharmacist gave me Teetha gel, and said to alternate Calpol and Neurofen. I think it's helping him a bit.

He's finally asleep now after whinging and crying and gnawing on his fingers all day. I have teething toys for him, but he has no interest in them! I suppose he's a bit young yet, he doesn't really have the coordination.

yep my guy is starting too, chewing his hands and dribbling loads, poor little guy. Get a Sophie the giraffe, we have one and he loves it, great for teething and easy enough to hold.

• Advertisement

We have one, but he's not really chewing on it, just fascinated by it! He'll hold it alright, but even if I put it in his mouth he won't chew on it ... just pushes it away and chews on his fingers instead! Maybe in a couple of weeks!

We have one, but he's not really chewing on it, just fascinated by it! He'll hold it alright, but even if I put it in his mouth he won't chew on it ... just pushes it away and chews on his fingers instead! Maybe in a couple of weeks!

Yeah give him a couple of weeks and he will, I just used to hold it to his mouth and he would chew down on it, only for a bit and then the hands go back in. Ha

Coopaloop wrote: »
    yep my guy is starting too, chewing his hands and dribbling loads, poor little guy. Get a Sophie the giraffe, we have one and he loves it, great for teething and easy enough to hold.

We have sophie too but haven't used it yet. Do I sterilise sophie?

Millem wrote: »
    We have sophie too but haven't used it yet. Do I sterilise sophie?

Nope it says on the box not to sterilise, I just wash with soap and hot water!

Yep me too.

• Advertisement

Never even read the box! Our 3 month check up is next week! God only knows what he weighs but he has outgrown some 3-6 month clothes as of this week!!

Both my girls are teething since 7 weeks! Not too painful at that stage, more itchy and irritating but since 11 weeks properly teething, red cheeks, temp etc. It was tough at first as they were too young for paracetamol. But now at least I can. Give them something to help. They can't take neurofen though as it aggravates their reflux, even taking it on a full tummy.

I find the Teetha granules a waste of time. Get calgel - its sooooo much better than bonjella or teetha. Its as.hood as anbesol but not as astringent.

I also got them gummee gloves which are helping.

As my girls were born early they are 16 weeks. Due to them being refluxers GP and paediatric team have given the go ahead for early weaning. We started yesterday and they are flying it. Pear and apple is a big hit. By this afternoon when they saw the spoons cone out they got all excited!!! So cute to see. I got them the silicone spoons and they like having a good old chew on them too, gives itchy gums some relief!

Never even read the box! Our 3 month check up is next week! God only knows what he weighs but he has outgrown some 3-6 month clothes as of this week!!

Oh stop I hear ya on the clothes, width wise he is pretty slim, He is just so fricken long, thank god for footless baby grows. I'll have to put him into 6 to 9 months baby grows soon.
    We had our 3 month check today, got on great, he weighs just under 16 pounds, and was above average in all the checks, so we are very happy

Oh hello lady, since your weaning you might find these useful, although since they seem ok with spoons you might be fine, anyway clevamama have these things like soothers that you put the food into and they can sort of suck the food out and it is meant to get them used to the texture. They have deadly little containers too for freezing the food too.

Oh stop I hear ya on the clothes, width wise he is pretty slim, He is just so fricken long, thank god for footless baby grows. I'll have to put him into 6 to 9 months baby grows soon.
    We had our 3 month check today, got on great, he weighs just under 16 pounds, and was above average in all the checks, so we are very happy

Oh hello lady, since your weaning you might find these useful, although since they seem ok with spoons you might be fine, anyway clevamama have these things like soothers that you put the food into and they can sort of suck the food out and it is meant to get them used to the texture. They have deadly little containers too for freezing the food too.

My two are flying with the spoons. They have been having medication by syringe for months in diluted orange juice. The meds also go like a paste on the tongue so they're well able to smack their mouth and swallow. Refluxers tend to be well able to take to spoons because they are already very used to gag reflexes and the meds. They are able to hold the spoon which I dip in pear and apple and they lick it off and suck the spoon! Little pair of gobble monsters!

Oh and I just bought a load of ice cube trays in the euro shop for freezing portions.

FYI lidl are stocking Annabel Karmel meals now!

We are exactly the same on clothes dungarees too short on body and legs but loads of space width wise! In tesco babygrows he can't straighten his leg in them!

We are exactly the same on clothes dungarees too short on body and legs but loads of space width wise! In tesco babygrows he can't straighten his leg in them!

Yep we are the same with tesco ones, h & m have some nice legless ones.

Yep we are the same with tesco ones, h & m have some nice legless ones.

I have been using pampers active fit to give him more room in his clothes lol lol as they are thinner and have less padding. M and s babygrows are brilliant really long as are ladybird clothes. He has 1 penneys Babygrow 3-6 months that he put on at 8 weeks and it was too small big gaps in between buttons! I bought those vacuum bags today to put away his baby clothes :(

I have been using pampers active fit to give him more room in his clothes lol lol as they are thinner and have less padding. M and s babygrows are brilliant really long as are ladybird clothes. He has 1 penneys Babygrow 3-6 months that he put on at 8 weeks and it was too small big gaps in between buttons! I bought those vacuum bags today to put away his baby clothes :(

Snap! That's my task for tomo, put the baby clothes away. The amount of stuff he never even got to wear, oh well, sure ill keep them for the next one ha.

Snap! That's my task for tomo, put the baby clothes away. The amount of stuff he never even got to wear, oh well, sure ill keep them for the next one ha.

I got those bags in dealz €1.49 each! Penneys have them for €2 either! I gave some things unworn away but then I thought maybe I should have kept them "just in case"!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Hello Lady, I was just looking at those gummy gloves as I can't get the boy interested in teething rings and he keeps soaking his sleeves when he's gnawing on his fist. What is the fit like? the boy is 13 weeks but he has big hands. also do they stay on well, as he is a big mover. They do look good idea but are a bit pricey.

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    Hello Lady, I was just looking at those gummy gloves as I can't get the boy interested in teething rings and he keeps soaking his sleeves when he's gnawing on his fist. What is the fit like? the boy is 13 weeks but he has big hands. also do they stay on well, as he is a big mover. They do look good idea but are a bit pricey.

They stay on well. My girls have small little handies (like their mammy!)and they stay put. There is a velcro strap that keeps them on. One of my girls likes to wave and fling her hands around and its never come off. Only thing is, if he is playing with something it will impede him cos obviously he won't be able to grab anything with that hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

the vacum bags are great for the clothes. its ridiculous all the clothes my daughter has, all she recieved as presents and most days she lives in babygros as they are so handy. i was unsure if she was teething until i read other posts, constant dribbles and knawing her hands and has much pinker cheeks. doesnt seem to be in much pain yet though. can some of you help me please? my daughter is 13 weeks old and not in a routine at all. how do i get her into one or should she be in one? shes in bed bout 11pm after a bottle, wakes about 5 gets a bottle, back down till about 9. theres no routine during the day at all. somedays she only sleeps on walks and is content to kick away on play mat. my husband doesnt get home from work till 7pm so we wouldnt like her to be in bed till aout 10 at the earliest . we make up 7oz bottles and she drinks between 5-7ozs. any opinions welcome pretty please

bean14 wrote: »
    the vacum bags are great for the clothes. its ridiculous all the clothes my daughter has, all she recieved as presents and most days she lives in babygros as they are so handy. i was unsure if she was teething until i read other posts, constant dribbles and knawing her hands and has much pinker cheeks. doesnt seem to be in much pain yet though. can some of you help me please? my daughter is 13 weeks old and not in a routine at all. how do i get her into one or should she be in one? shes in bed bout 11pm after a bottle, wakes about 5 gets a bottle, back down till about 9. theres no routine during the day at all. somedays she only sleeps on walks and is content to kick away on play mat. my husband doesnt get home from work till 7pm so we wouldnt like her to be in bed till aout 10 at the earliest . we make up 7oz bottles and she drinks between 5-7ozs. any opinions welcome pretty please

I reckon my little man must be teething too after reading posts! We have no routine during the day except for tummy time in the morning (which he still hates!), he gives out stink turning his head in the air lol lol I make 6-8oz bottles which he drains but feed before I bring him upstairs around 10ish is only 4oz he sleeps till 7am then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Sami23

I reckon my little man must be teething too after reading posts! We have no routine during the day except for tummy time in the morning (which he still hates!), he gives out stink turning his head in the air lol lol I make 6-8oz bottles which he drains but feed before I bring him upstairs around 10ish is only 4oz he sleeps till 7am then!

That's great that he sleeps from 10 to 7 in the morning. Our little girl is over 10 weeks now and she has never slept like that. Last night she took her last feed after 9, was asleep by 10:30, woke at 2:30 for feed, asleep by 3:30 and awake again at 6 for another feed. She had fed really well all day so we can't understand why she is not sleeping for longer periods at this stage.
    We even moved her to the Aptimal hungry milk for evening feeds last week but it has made no difference at all. Should we move her onto it full time ?
    Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated :D

Sami23 wrote: »
    That's great that he sleeps from 10 to 7 in the morning. Our little girl is over 10 weeks now and she has never slept like that. Last night she took her last feed after 9, was asleep by 10:30, woke at 2:30 for feed, asleep by 3:30 and awake again at 6 for another feed. She had fed really well all day so we can't understand why she is not sleeping for longer periods at this stage.
    We even moved her to the Aptimal hungry milk for evening feeds last week but it has made no difference at all. Should we move her onto it full time ?
    Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated :D

We had a horrendous first 3/4 weeks with sleep I actually bought the gina ford book (she is not for everyone). During the day we stayed downstairs and upstairs was for night time. At the last feed at night say 9/10 we get him I to pjs change nappy (didnt talk to him) then brought him into bedroom and feed him in the dark (still no talking) with just the night light from baby monitor on, then into Moses basket. I think we started this at week 4 and he would only wake once at maybe 4.30/5 then that feed disappeared. Before we had no night routine it was dreadful he screamed from 10pm til 2am! I never took him into the bed and I think that half the time he work up during the night it was more for comfort than bottle! I got one for those dreamshow things and turn that on and he would go back to sleep. He has slept though the night now for a good few weeks it is amazing but I have friends who's 6 month olds are still not sleeping through :( maybe it is a just a fluke with me? But from 7ish in the evening we start the bed time (we don't have to do the no talking anymore at night lol lol) we don't use hungry baby just normal aptamil he gets around 30-40 oz per day!

Having serious primary school woes :(:(:( absolute joke, the child is 12weeks old but my primary school of choice already has a waiting list! I thought there was a recession!!!! (It is fee paying) South dublin craziness!!! And it is Easter hols so need to wait two weeks before "expressing an interest" in another school, wait to get invited for a tour and at the end hopefully get an application form off them but guess what only 12 places for non irish speakers!! Another school I basically have to right why we want to send him there and this is how they dish put the places!! At least we defo have a spot in one school we just need to show a bill to prove address.

Having serious primary school woes :(:(:( absolute joke, the child is 12weeks old but my primary school of choice already has a waiting list! I thought there was a recession!!!! (It is fee paying) South dublin craziness!!! And it is Easter hols so need to wait two weeks before "expressing an interest" in another school, wait to get invited for a tour and at the end hopefully get an application form off them but guess what only 12 places for non irish speakers!! Another school I basically have to right why we want to send him there and this is how they dish put the places!! At least we defo have a spot in one school we just need to show a bill to prove address.

My number one school isn't fee-paying but has a very long waiting list too, I have the enrolment form and all, just need to fill it out and send it in! Definitely on the to-do list for this week!

Ridiculous that we even need to be thinking about this so early!

My number one school isn't fee-paying but has a very long waiting list too, I have the enrolment form and all, just need to fill it out and send it in! Definitely on the to-do list for this week!

Ridiculous that we even need to be thinking about this so early!

I would of thought non fee paying schools have long waiting lists but fee paying??? The school I work in is non fee paying and has a waiting list for 2024! (It is secondary). I reckon 2025 and 2026 are filling up too. Some schools only let you apply the year before entry which i think is a great idea!

• Advertisement

bean14 wrote: »
    You absolutely can have a routine you just need to accept that it is liable to change as baby's developmental leaps are made. From about 10 weeks my girls routine has been
    6/7am wake and bottle
    8/9am nap
    10/11 bottle
    12ish nap
    3/4 bottle then nap
    6 o'clock or thereabouts bath and jammies
    7pm bottle
    8pm start to settle
    by 8.30/9 asleep
    11pm dream feed and sleep til 6/7am next morning.

the feeds and bedtime routine are the things that were constant - naps/playtime/walks etc were flexible.

now they are starting solids and have gone through some bigger developmental leaps so they are figuring out a new routine. I will be led by them somewhat over the next week or so in feeding times and naps and then once some sort of pattern emerges then I will lead that pattern being maintained (until it no longer is working for them!). But bedtimes won't change, that is the one constant!

I know you want dad to spend time with baby but IMO 10/11pm is too late for a baby. its possibly the late nights that are making establishing a routine difficult? could dad not be the one to bathe and settle bubs - very intimate one on one time, great for bonding and then baby also gets to bed earlier. my hubby doesn't get home til 7 either but he helps me put them down for the night and spend quiet time with them. of course he would prefer playtime and tickles but its not fair on them. the few times their bedtime was messed up they were totally out of routine the next day and cranky.

As I say, routine is definitely possible but I believe you need to be ready to change as baby changes, such as us now that solids are being introduced. but I think waking up time and bedtime should as much as possible be constant.

Advertisement