Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

galah wrote: »
    yeah, same here. sitting fairly sturdily, but then gets excited and throws himself backwards :rolleyes:

had the 8 month check ages ago (our phn is a disaster, on our first every check was at least 3 months late, and with this one everything is early...), i'm not too fussed about those checks anymore to be honest. still dont get why it's split between the phn, the gp, and a hse doctor when it would make a lot more sense to just have the gp do it as he'd be the one who sees the kids most anyway (but i really cant stand our condescending phn and the batty hse doc, so i'm biased :p)

Galah I thought I was just going to PHN for this check?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I think maybe she means the fact that the six-week-check is with the GP? If so, I think this is because the mother gets checked at this appointment as well as the baby, and I guess GPs would be more trained in checking up on the mother, seeing how stitches have healed up etc. I got a very thorough physical examination at the six-week-check, and the baby's heart was checked (I'm not sure PHNs usually have the same equipment as doctors to check this?)

As for the HSE doctor, I'm guessing this was probably for the BCG vaccine? These are often given before the baby leaves the hospital, but it's not done in every hospital; also in our case he was on antibiotics for a couple of days after he was born so he didn't get the BCG vaccine until he was a month old, and it was given by a HSE doctor rather than our regular GP (not really sure why, but that's the way it was done!)

I don't really have a problem with all the appointments with different professionals; there's always the chance that one of them will pick up on something that another won't. E.g. I made an extra appointment for a PHN check at around 2-3 months because I had concerns about his reflux and weight-gain - she immediately referred him for physio for positional plagiocephaly (something I wasn't even concerned about, and neither our usual PHN or our GP had picked up on it, even though they'd both seen him shortly before) - if she hadn't picked up on it then, we'd probably only be getting our physio referral now at nine months - whereas because it was treated so early, we're all done with the physio now.

The PHN I had for the first few appointments is on maternity leave now so I don't know who I'll have for this one. I wasn't too impressed with her anyways - she'd never even heard of BLW and was horrified when I told her about it - in her profession, and as someone who was expecting a baby herself at the time, I was amazed she wasn't even aware of it. They even have signs up in Holles St promoting it, so it's hardly that much of a new-fangled notion! (As it happens, we ended up doing combined purees and BLW, but I was just really surprised that she didn't even know about it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

sorry, wasnt clear on this.

after birth, the phn comes out a few times. then you see the GP for the 2 week and 6 week check. vaccinations done by GP (no BCG in Galway), then dev checks by PHN, plus this 8 months check was with phn and HSE doc (dunno why, her idea of the ideal first weaning food for baby was "shepherds pie" so i just ignored her from then on in).

when baby was sick, GP sent us to hospital, but hospital then sent us to PHN for follow-up - which consisted of her asking me "do you think he's better now?". :mad: same thing with his neck, which was tilted to one side for a while - phn says she cant assess or refer to physio so sends me back to gp (60 quid), but she can send us for hip xray through hse on a more than spurious hunch, after his hips were checked a bazillion times (dont get me wrong, id rather have one check too many than not enough, but it's just so inconsistent).

it's just so many different people checking different things and not keeping a centralised record, it annoys me to tears.

No BCG at all in Galway, galah? That's mad, I thought the vaccinations would be standard all across the country! (I don't even know what the BCG protects against, but anyways!)

Well I was saying a few posts up that I thought W was looking very tall ... we had the check-up today, he is 75cm and just over the 90th percentile for height! :D And he is just over the 50th percentile for weight (he weighs 9kg exactly); he had been closer to the 25th percentile at other checks but the nurse said it's probably only gone up because he's so tall, i.e. he's still relatively slim, she thinks it's just his natural build so she's happy with the numbers! He passed all the developmental checks with flying colours, and was full of smiles for her! :)

I've had to start strapping him in to his carseat now when I want to have a shower. :o Before, I could just leave him in his cot with a few toys, but now as soon as I put him into it, he's standing up and bouncing on the mattress, and he's banged his face off the top rail of the cot a few times so I can't leave him in there alone any more! Can't leave him on the floor either as he's crawling everywhere. I've a feeling the next few months are going to be very busy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

You should get a playpen. My LO loves hers. Its in our sitting room so if I need to do anything like have a shower she just plays in that

• Advertisement

We have a travel cot in the sitting room alright, and would be lost without it! I'm just happier having him upstairs though when I'm in the shower, I tend to take pretty long showers. :o Though I guess I should cut out that habit now that I'll be paying for them!

yeah sometimes it's not worth it. i would have the sittingroom and bathroom door open and the slightest little shout and i'm panicking. She is not standing up in her cot yet so i can leave her in there and put on babytv for her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

no BCG in Galway, they just dont do them here (protects against tuberculosis, i think). gotta love the consistent approach to healthcare in this country....:rolleyes:

so far, J istn crawling yet so I have him on a babygym mat on the bathroom floor when I shower. Think I had our first strapped in the car seat, too - or possibly in the jumperoo, cant remember :o but J hates the whole shower thing - the noise of the heater, shower, and hairdryer makes him go absolutely mental :eek: (yet he'll happily listen to his brother go crazy with the drums or keyboard toy :confused:)

How is everyone doing. I'm sure this time last year people were counting down the days to finishing work.

Put up our Xmas tree today (has to be up for the toy show) and when the lights went on our LO had no interest at all :)

What are people getting them from Santa. We got an interactive teddy in Smyths for €40 and that's it. I'm sure she will get lots. She is growing so quick so If people ask I just ask them to get her clothes or heavy sleeping suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

rsl1976 wrote: »
    How is everyone doing. I'm sure this time last year people were counting down the days to finishing work.

Put up our Xmas tree today (has to be up for the toy show) and when the lights went on our LO had no interest at all :)

What are people getting them from Santa. We got an interactive teddy in Smyths for €40 and that's it. I'm sure she will get lots. She is growing so quick so If people ask I just ask them to get her clothes or heavy sleeping suits.

This time last year I had been admitted to hospital and was stuck there til xmas eve!

Not going to do a tree this year I don't think. The girls are both walking and now climbing so literally into EVERYTHING! Plus the spot the tree goes takes up half their play area. They are so young they won't miss a tree but they definitely will miss their play area. And with two and two of everything there us just no room. We'll put up garlands/wreaths/lights etc and still decorate...just no trees. It's killing me as I'm normally Mrs Christmas and have two trees! But next year we'll be in anew house thats much bigger so I'll go all out then and they'll be old enough to appreciate it a bit more.

They're going to be spoiled with toys...have no.clue where they're all gonna go! Between their birthday the week before Christmas and Christmas itself they have a load of fisher prive little people sets, v-tech stuff, rocking horses, sit on scooter yokes, books, teddies, clothes....even the new house won't be big enough at this rate!

• Advertisement

I don't envy you running around after two :) My LO is sick at the moment. She had a bout of diarrhoea at the weekend and now she has a head cold.

Just had a quick glance over the thread and this time last year my Moses basket was on the way. The year has just flown in

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭moodswing

The last 11 months have flown haven't they! Both my little ones smothered with colds although the 11 month old is handling it better than the almost three year old! Z is 3 on Stephens day then D will be a year in January so two lots of Christmas and birthdays around this time

Does anyone else's family moan about their birthdays being at Christmas time? I hate when people say "oh why did you have to have them so close to Christmas?"

We got a little early Christmas gift from D when he took off walking two days ago although he is a flier and is obsessed with the dogs bowls and the Christmas tree so lots of mayhem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Sami23

Our little girl is over 10 months now but hasn't started crawling yet. We thought she b moving by Now But no move. When did everyone else's start crawling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭moodswing

Sami23 wrote: »
    Our little girl is over 10 months now but hasn't started crawling yet. We thought she b moving by Now But no move. When did everyone else's start crawling ?

My first walked before his first birthday but only crawled at 15 months and my second little guy that has just started walking on his own only started crawling in the last few days too (he will be 11 months on Friday)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I hope all the jan'14 mammies and babies are doing great. :)

Just thought I'd share the blog of one of the jan'15 mammies, who is doing the mini marathon in June in honour of the memory of her son Max, born January this year. Thumpette I hope you don't mind me sharing it here!

I hope maybe some of you Jan mammies might join me in supporting a very worthy cause.

https://l4stars.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/running-for-max/

Advertisement