Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

Tlachtga wrote: »
    Why not? (I haven't yet read up on the pros and cons!)

Ah mostly because I'm a bit against vaccinations unless absolutely vital and because I consider the flu something I can contend with myself. I don't know, I've always just been a bit against any medical intervention unless I'm basically dying and I guess that's extended to my pregnancy too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Just watched Midwives on TV3 ... that wasn't a baby the Mexican lady had, it was a fully-grown toddler! :/

Gorgeous child, but feckin hell, I was cringing at the thought of pushing out something that size! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

We get the flu vaccine free in work too and I usually get it each year because even in normal circumstances due to my autoimmune disorder if I do get sick I tend to take a long time to recover. Bearing in mind that doctors recommend getting it in pregnancy, and also the fact that my babies are due in December and the last thing I need to deal with is a dose of the flu with two newborns to look after I will definitely be getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Tlachtga wrote: »
    Just watched Midwives on TV3 ... that wasn't a baby the Mexican lady had, it was a fully-grown toddler! :/

Gorgeous child, but feckin hell, I was cringing at the thought of pushing out something that size! :eek:

I know the child looked huge! She was beautiful with her full head of hair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

In CUMH for 20 weekscan. Looks like it could be dark by the time ourturn comes.

• Advertisement

I had my 22 week scan today and all looks good thankfully. They're a little concerned about low fluid levels around the baby so I've to be scanned again at 28 weeks. The time is flying by!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PaddyPope

We got our 22 week scan today. Everything is perfect and healthy but the baby wouldn't open her legs but they're pretty certain its a girl. Lets hope all the pink stuff we got after the scan doesn't go to waste haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

Is anyone else getting really sore ribs? Or have any idea why it might be happening? I presume it's just everything getting a little squished up in there!?

I spent the last couple of days in hospital because i was coughing up blood and short of breath, they suspected a clot on my lung. Scary stuff. :/ All clear now though, just a bad chest infection. I still feel like I'm dying, but at least I'm dying at home in my own lovely bed! :D

I've told himself I'm having a home birth, anything to avoid having to spend another night in hospital!! :pac:

Ciarabear wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting really sore ribs? Or have any idea why it might be happening? I presume it's just everything getting a little squished up in there!?

Your ribs can flare to accommodate your ever expanding uterus which is probably what's causing the pain. Or it could be due to your changing posture. Either way the pain should go completely as soon as you have the baby. If it's really bothering you ask about seeing a Physio at your next ante-natal appt.

Tlachtga that's horrible, hope you're ok :(

• Advertisement

Anyone else still not putting on weight? 23 weeks now, I lost 1.5 stone at the start and weight has stayed the same since. Baby's size was fine in the scan though. At this stage, I'm thinking I'll only just be back to my pre-pregnancy weight by the time I'm ready to give birth!! My bump's getting huge, but I can definitely notice the weight loss on other parts of my body.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Hope everyone is doin good.
    Ive got a great mover inside me,my stomach is actually moving with the kicks!so cool!

We got our cot/bed and chest of drawers/changing top today,i love them,mamas and papas had 10% off today,super excited to collect them when they come in and put them together,and got some paint samples too for the room.

Just gone 23 weeks, and I am FINALLY getting good proper kicks, and lots of them! :)

Loads of kicking here too, I was watching my stomach moving with them last night :)

I'm probably waaay too early asking this, but I just want to get organised. :)

Does anyone know when you need to submit your maternity benefit form? And what happens if you end up deciding to go on leave on an earlier date than the date you put on the form? Does it matter? (I'll be getting mine paid directly to my employer, if that makes a difference.)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I'm probably waaay too early asking this, but I just want to get organised. :)

Does anyone know when you need to submit your maternity benefit form? And what happens if you end up deciding to go on leave on an earlier date than the date you put on the form? Does it matter? (I'll be getting mine paid directly to my employer, if that makes a difference.)

This is what I have got from my company: and I guess if you change the date you intend to leave Im guessing you have to notify them of the date a bit in advance so they can process the payment or do whatever they need to do. :)

You should apply for Maternity Benefit 6 weeks (12 weeks if self-employed) before you intend to start your maternity leave.
    In certain cases, you may apply after your baby is born. But if you fail to apply within 6 months of the birth of your baby, you may lose benefit.
    To apply, complete the application form MB 10 and send it to:
    Maternity Benefit Section
    Department of Social Protection
    McCarter's Road
    Ardarvan
    Buncrana
    Co. Donegal

LoCall: 1890 690 690 (from the Republic of Ireland only)
    + 353 1 47 15898 (from Northern Ireland or overseas)

Note
    You will be issued with an initial letter acknowledging receipt of your claim. Our normal procedure (my company) is to process your claim at least two weeks in advance of when you are due to start your Maternity Leave. Separate notification will issue to you once your claim has been processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Hi there,

as mentioned above, you should apply 6 weeks before your maternity leave, but you can apply earlier if you wish. The earliest you can apply is after 24 weeks because your employer and doctor cannot sign the forms before that date.

if you go on maternity leave early due to sickness, this is classed as illness benefit not your maternity leave. If you go early because the baby arrives early you need to get a letter from your doctor confirming the date of the birth and that it was a premature birth.

I already have all my forms ready to go, and I next visit my consultant on the 7th of October, when I will be just over 26 weeks. I am not waiting any longer than that because there is a very good chance I could go early and as well as that I have enough to be organising as it is!

All the info is here on the citizens info site
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

Guys I really don't know what I'm going to do about my hormones. In the past week or so I have cried a ridiculous amount. I'm currently watching the people of the year awards sobbing my heart out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Mornin All,

Had my 22 week "big" scan today :p
    All great - good weight, good size, all internal organs perfect
    She is a little wiggler appara :D

Deeeeeelighted with myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 King Hearts

So I had my 22 week scan last week. They said everything is perfect. Now this may sound silly, but I couldn't see arms on the 3d picture or the 2d picture. Is there any possibility this would be something to worry about. As someone with OCD things like this can get under my skin. Can someone just reassure that there is no possible way the scanning nurse would miss something like a baby not having arms. It would put my mind at rest. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

So I had my 22 week scan last week. They said everything is perfect. Now this may sound silly, but I couldn't see arms on the 3d picture or the 2d picture. Is there any possibility this would be something to worry about. As someone with OCD things like this can get under my skin. Can someone just reassure that there is no possible way the scanning nurse would miss something like a baby not having arms. It would put my mind at rest. Thanks

I am sure they measure all the limbs. I had my big scan last week and had gotten myself into such a tissy over "femur" bones! Don't ask me why!! I am not a doctor but I am sure they would of told you if your baby had no arms. Don't worry my gp told me I am not allowed to google anymore :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

They definitely would have told you in there was anything wrong.

If you have your hospital chart, it will have the fetal assessment on it so you can read what was actually recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

King Hearts - They definitely would have told you, easier said than done but try not to worry about what you see on the scan, they know what they are looking for. At mine she could see lips !! I didnt know what she was looking at

At one point in my scan she zoomed in on a big massive black blob on the baby's chest for ages ... she kept going in closer, and had a really serious expression on her face. I was sure she was about to tell me it was a big massive tumour or something. Then I realised it was the baby's heart. :o

Also, looking at one of my earlier scan photos from around 12 weeks, it looks like the head isn't connected to the body. I was worried about that for ages! Even though I knew logically that of course the midwife would have realised if the head was floating around detached from the body. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Yellow diamond

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I had my 21.5 scan today. I am a public patient and I knew it would be fairly basic but not as brief as it was. She just looked at screen for ten seconds and said babys heartbeat is strong. That is it! No measurements and she dismissed me when I said can you tell the gender. Didn't get a picture either. It seemed to be a very basic scanning machine. I was so disappointed as this is our first. I was looking forward to this scan so much! Is this the norm for your second trimester scan? Did anyone go for private scan? I know they are expensive but is it worth it? Thanks

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I had my 21.5 scan today. I am a public patient and I knew it would be fairly basic but not as brief as it was. She just looked at screen for ten seconds and said babys heartbeat is strong. That is it! No measurements and she dismissed me when I said can you tell the gender. Didn't get a picture either. It seemed to be a very basic scanning machine. I was so disappointed as this is our first. I was looking forward to this scan so much! Is this the norm for your second trimester scan? Did anyone go for private scan? I know they are expensive but is it worth it? Thanks

I got a private scan at 12 weeks in ultrasound dimensions in Blackrock. We got the nuchal fold measured aswell there. They are amazing. The machine is unreal and pics I got at 12 weeks are clearer than holles street 21 weeks! The machine was hooked up to a big flat screen tv on the wall so you can look at it. I got three pics at 21 weeks from holles street. I didn't know what I was looking at and the lady didn't talk at all but she had said that to us as she needed to take loads of measurements. I would love a 3d/4d scan. If I do get one I would go back to ultrasound dimensions. I think they do one where they do 3d/4d and well being scan at the same time.

Thanks Millem for the advice. I am in cork and found a clinic in ballincollig who do private scans. I hope they will see me as i have mrsa that I contracted after a previous surgery so I may be exempt. Would love to get good look at baby now!!! Fingers crossed!

!
    Millem wrote: »
    I got a private scan at 12 weeks in ultrasound dimensions in Blackrock. We got the nuchal fold measured aswell there. They are amazing. The machine is unreal and pics I got at 12 weeks are clearer than holles street 21 weeks! The machine was hooked up to a big flat screen tv on the wall so you can look at it. I got three pics at 21 weeks from holles street. I didn't know what I was looking at and the lady didn't talk at all but she had said that to us as she needed to take loads of measurements. I would love a 3d/4d scan. If I do get one I would go back to ultrasound dimensions. I think they do one where they do 3d/4d and well being scan at the same time.

Did you get mini scan at first appointment? I am taking part in a study for holles street so as a treat I get another scan at 28 weeks! Did it look like the lady was "drawing lines" on the computer while scanning you? I think that's how they measure. In the private place she gave me loads of feedback like even telling me how many beats per min the heart was. In holles street she just said there appears to be no abnormalities etc. and measurements were right for the dates. she didn't tell me what the baby weighed etc she was so strict and I was so nervous!

Thanks Millem for the advice. I am in cork and found a clinic in ballincollig who do private scans. I hope they will see me as i have mrsa that I contracted after a previous surgery so I may be exempt. Would love to get good look at baby now!!! Fingers crossed!

!

Brilliant you should treat yourself to the DVD!! So you can rewatch it at home :)

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Brilliant you should treat yourself to the DVD!! So you can research it at home :)

That is great you get to see baby again at 28 weeks so exciting! No she didn't do any measurements at all only looked at baby's heart that was it. I booked in for private scan for this weekend, can't wait! Thanks for the advice :)

Advertisement