Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

That is great you get to see baby again at 28 weeks so exciting! No she didn't do any measurements at all only looked at baby's heart that was it. I booked in for private scan for this weekend, can't wait! Thanks for the advice :)

You won't regret private scan! I have had 4 scans now one at 12 (private) a mini one at 13 (consultant) one at 15 (study) and big one at 21! I really want a 3d/4d scan they look amazing. I am still have hyperemesis which is vile vile vile vile so am on bed rest at the moment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Just worked out that I have only eleven more Mondays in work before baby gets here! :eek:

Just worked out that I have only eleven more Mondays in work before baby gets here! :eek:

How exciting! I have 8 Mondays left to work if I ever make it back in :(((( before I go on my maternity leave. Have you bought anything yet or are you leaving it till January? I was going to leave everything (except travel system which I have picked) til dec/jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Yellow diamond

Hope you start to feel better Millem that sounds pretty rough being sick for so long. Are you buying any few bits before Christmas? I know the jan sales are very tempting! Had my scan today and I must say babyscan were fantastic and lovely to deal with. We got a really good look at our little babs even caught him yawning! All looks good which was our main concern, will sleep contented tonight!
    Millem wrote: »
    How exciting! I have 8 Mondays left to work if I ever make it back in :(((( before I go on my maternity leave. Have you bought anything yet or are you leaving it till January? I was going to leave everything (except travel system which I have picked) til dec/jan!

My bump's now big enough to rest my icecream bowl on! Finally useful for something! :D

• Advertisement

My bump's now big enough to rest my icecream bowl on! Finally useful for something! :D

Lol :) mine is non existent :( still in all my own clothes not a bother! Literally haven't put on a pound :(

Lol :) mine is non existent :( still in all my own clothes not a bother! Literally haven't put on a pound :(

I've actually lost a stone! :o My bump keeps getting bigger but the rest of me keeps getting smaller. My bra size is gone from 36EE to 36C :eek: :(

I've actually lost a stone! :o My bump keeps getting bigger but the rest of me keeps getting smaller. My bra size is gone from 36EE to 36C :eek: :(

Omg!! That is insane!! My boobs have definitely gotten bigger I dread to think the size!! Getting really excited now really want to start buying things! Every week there seems to be different deals on everywhere. Did anyone see the baby things in aldi? If so were they any good? I never realised all baby clothes need to be washed for hospital! I am learning things everyday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Heading into my last week in work next week (taking early leave as not going back to the same company, also wanted to take a year off) :D:D:D:D:D

I cannot wait to de-clutter, buy pram, find out about car seats, think about slings, decide on colours for her room, get Christmas sorted in November ...
    Do I need to go on :D:D:D

PLUS - Have ye seen the TV schedule for the next few weeks

Anyone got the giggles or is it just me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

OH is due on 19th January - deeeelighted with ourselves

Had iphone placed on her tummy last night playing some tunes

Very different reactions to rock and classical - the phone was almost kicked off her tummy at one stage - hilarious to watch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Anyone doing pregnancy yoga? Everyday I keep telling myself, will join today, but haven't yet registered anywhere :D. I am 23 weeks btw. Anyone in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Hi,

Very late joining!! Baby no 3 will be here on the 18th January making me 25 weeks tomorrow. It has been the longest 25 weeks ever:) between MS & now SPD. Before i realised i was pregnant again I had been telling everyone how much i loved been pregnant before. It just goes to show how much you can block out:) My other 2 are 18 & 7 and I magically forgot how sick I was on them:( Anyway counting down the remaining 15 weeks, can't wait:D

I'm due this day three months, on the 4th January ... so I guess that means I'm in my third trimester now! :D :eek:

Hi Ladies,

I've been feeling what i can only describe as feeling like my tummy is stretching. Kinda painful but not unbearable. Anyone else feeling this? I'm 24/25 weeks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

I've been feeling what i can only describe as feeling like my tummy is stretching. Kinda painful but not unbearable. Anyone else feeling this? I'm 24/25 weeks:)

I've been getting this on and off since about 17 weeks. I have noticed on the days that the pains have been worse, I'm suddenly bigger a day or two later! I had pains on Friday and my bump has definitely expanded since then, even people in work commented on it :)

Pain was awful last night so rang Rotunda because it had spread to my back. They suspect another (my 4th) kidney infection. Take painkillers and
    drink plenty of fluids and if i dont feel any better today i can go in

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Hi Ladies,

haven't been in here for a while, because although my full gestation date is 10th Jan, I will actually be giving birth before Christmas, or so my consultant says. 27th December is my 38 week mark and they will induce at that stage if babies haven't arrived, but after meeting with my doctor last week and given that my babies are thriving and measuring ahead of gestation (they are over 1kg each :eek:!) she thinks she will probably bring me in before Christmas so that I can be home and enjoy my babies instead of sitting in a hospital bed in Christmas day.

So that means that I only have about 6 weeks left in work, and maybe even less! I have already been medically advised to cut back on my hours so at the moment only doing 3 and a half days, which will probably become 3 days in the near future.

I am all nested out at this stage - the house is all repainted, cots bought, the babies room is decorated, new bed for the spare room arriving tomorrow, new carpet on the stairs, tumble dryer installed, pram ordered and paid for....phew! Not much else left to do, thank god cos I just don't have the energy to do anything else!
    kknitter wrote: »
    Anyone doing pregnancy yoga? Everyday I keep telling myself, will join today, but haven't yet registered anywhere :D. I am 23 weeks btw. Anyone in the same boat?

I started yoga at 16 weeks and it really does help. Most of the exercises you are advised of in antenatal physio are yoga type poses. Some weeks I have to drag myself there, but I know it is worth it. My back is much improved since starting, which is important as I will most likely have a c-section and want an epidural so I need my sciatica to be without a flare up for at least 10 days before. The yoga is definitely helping to keep it at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Jaysis Jaysis JaysisnHello Lady :)

It's all go for you, am thrilled for you, that's great news about the little 'uns AND Santa will be stopping in your house, that's soooo brilliant xxx
    You are making me jealous will all your organising :)

Have finished work myself, and have started "operation Peanut"

Keep well, and keep us updated won't ya

Has anyone ordered their mattress yet? As I have been off work sick I have ordered a few things online (did it in two goes one on littlewoods one on amazon, raging I didn't do guineys when they had 15% off but was just too sick) I honestly can't face going around shops and am trying to spread out the cost! Got a great deal on a cot bed but haven't done anything about mattress yet! I thought sprung was the best, but it now seems pocket sprung is better?? Any recommendations? This is what I have bought:
    Bottles, steriliser, breast pump, soothers, room and bath thermometer, baby carrier, 2 x growbags, 2x grow suits, Moses basket mattress, 2x baby hooded towels, swaddle wrap, light show projector. We have picked travel system and are going to put deposit down at weekend (hopefully I won't be too sick). My mum is looking after baby clothes. My sis is looking after baby toiletries.
    What I need to buy;
    Cotbed mattress, cotbed sheets, cellular blankets, baby monitors, travel cot/playpen, nappy bag, changing mat and baby bath. I also haven't done anything about hospital bag!! I would like everything organised by the start of dec as Xmas will fly in and I don't trust the post!! Am I missing anything? Not getting a changing unit just using a chest of drawers.

Millem - are you sure you need all the things you still have to get? I have been so tempted to buy things, but have been advised by lots of people not to bother until baby arrives. For the first few weeks you just need somewhere for them to sleep, clothes for them and the bits and pieces for feeding them. Then once you know your routine and what people have bought for you, then you can start to get the other bits. For example, a travel cot/playpen? They really won't need this until they are few months old at the earliest - for the first month or so their cot/moses basket and a rug on the floor is probably all you need.

As for the mattress, I was told to go for a hypo allergenic foam based mattress rather than a sprung one while they are small. If you are talking normal beds, then a pocket sprung is better than a normal sprung. But where babies are concerned I was told by several places to get a foam mattress. We got ours online here:
    www.babyaccessoriesireland.com
    Got a bamboo and foam one and it was €40 and free delivery. Very good service I must say. They have sprung ones too, and they do all the other bits you are looking for (play pen, bedding, changing mats etc). They are in Ireland so the stuff arrives really quick - we ordered 2 mattresses on the Monday and had them by the Wednesday by courier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

absolutely hate being pregnant...:o

SPD/pelvic girdle pain in full swing, can barely walk upstairs or put my clothes on unaided, on the way to preeclampsia again, plus a nasty cold. Full-time job that's mental, and a crazy active 2 year old. Not a good combo...

(sorry, only come here to whinge :o)

At least it's a glorious day out there!

Millem - are you sure you need all the things you still have to get? I have been so tempted to buy things, but have been advised by lots of people not to bother until baby arrives. For the first few weeks you just need somewhere for them to sleep, clothes for them and the bits and pieces for feeding them. Then once you know your routine and what people have bought for you, then you can start to get the other bits. For example, a travel cot/playpen? They really won't need this until they are few months old at the earliest - for the first month or so their cot/moses basket and a rug on the floor is probably all you need.

As for the mattress, I was told to go for a hypo allergenic foam based mattress rather than a sprung one while they are small. If you are talking normal beds, then a pocket sprung is better than a normal sprung. But where babies are concerned I was told by several places to get a foam mattress. We got ours online here:
    www.babyaccessoriesireland.com
    Got a bamboo and foam one and it was €40 and free delivery. Very good service I must say. They have sprung ones too, and they do all the other bits you are looking for (play pen, bedding, changing mats etc). They are in Ireland so the stuff arrives really quick - we ordered 2 mattresses on the Monday and had them by the Wednesday by courier.

Travel cot (I am going to use it as a play pen) is a must for my kitchen as I have 3 dogs!!! My parents ordered off baby accessories they are brill and soo cheap but they don't do pocket sprung :( just normal sprung. The reason I got my cot bed is I have heard from so many people Moses basket didn't really work out, for instance my niece was soo big and long she was 11lbs!!! She spent about 2 weeks in it!! I got given one so only needed new mattress. I got a great deal on it so just bought it!

Travel cot (I am going to use it as a play pen) is a must for my kitchen as I have 3 dogs!!! My parents ordered off baby accessories they are brill and soo cheap but they don't do pocket sprung :( just normal sprung. The reason I got my cot bed is I have heard from so many people Moses basket didn't really work out, for instance my niece was soo big and long she was 11lbs!!! She spent about 2 weeks in it!! I got given one so only needed new mattress. I got a great deal on it so just bought it!

We're not getting moses baskets either - space is a bit of a premium for us (with 2 of everything!) and if they are downstairs I will just put them in their carrycots on the pram and if they are upstairs they can be in their cot. We don't have enough room in our bedroom for 2 moses baskets and TBH if we were to get rid of the wardrobe and put them at the foot of the bed, by that stage they would be only 3 steps away from the next room anyway, so we're just putting them straight in the cot in their own room. With our door open and theirs, its just as close anyway.

Hmmm, pocket sprung. I know with adult mattresses a pocket sprung is much better and lasts about 10 years. However I have heard from a few people - one a midwife - that for allergies and other things it is better to replace a baby's mattress every 2 years or so. Not sure if this is really needed, but just what I have heard. And I suppose, given the mess of the puke and bottom variety babies are prone to, you might not want to keep it too long anyway! So maybe just get a normal sprung mattress for that period and then when they are in the cot bed as a 'bed' then maybe invest in the dearer mattress? I mean for the first 6-8 months, they won't even be using the whole mattress, just one end of it, and if you turn it regularly I am sure it will wear evenly?

Bought some gorgeous little snow suits in Guineys yesterday - little red ones for Christmas - because I reckon that these babies will come well before Christmas! They were only €12.99 each. They also have some great essentials like changing mats from €2.99 (kinda thin and flimsy, but would be good to have in the car if you are going to families houses etc or for granny to have one. They have dearer ones too for €5.99 which are grand ones, with a decent bumper around the edge), moses baskets complete sets with stand and mattress and bedding were very good value too. Bought some cellular blankets too - €4.99 each (the cot bed size ones are €7.99). Amazingly cute baby grows from €4.99 which I thought were gorgeous - in fact the brand is one I bought elsewhere and paid €15 each for, but Guineys have them for €4.99, €7.99 and €9.99 depending on styles. They have a huge selection - one of the best selections of baby wear I would say. Well worth a look if you are in Dublin or have a look on their website (although the choice is not as good online).

Is Guineys still open?! Those are great prices, must pop over for a look, I thought they were closed down though!

The one in North Earl Street is still there. You need to go in with a bit of patience, because as it always was, its a bit of a shambles! You have to be in the mood for a good old root around! The bedding etc is on the left and in around the corner through a door - you wouldn't realise it was there if you didn't know to look, so its a bit deceptive!

The one in North Earl Street is still there. You need to go in with a bit of patience, because as it always was, its a bit of a shambles! You have to be in the mood for a good old root around! The bedding etc is on the left and in around the corner through a door - you wouldn't realise it was there if you didn't know to look, so its a bit deceptive!

I plan on getting my sheets and cellular blankets in guineys but going to order online as still suffering with hyperemesis :( they had free delivery on all orders at start of September and 15% off everything last weekend in September so waiting for another deal like that!! The quality is meant to brilliant :) from ringing around the shop assistants tell me sprung mattress for a cot and pocket sprung for a cot bed. So I have narrowed it down to the baby elegance healthguard pocket sprung mattress or the ladybird eco pocket sprung mattress from littlewoods. I don't actually want to use Moses basket but my mum is insisting :) I really don't think they are sturdy! My one is wicker. I am going to set up cotbed up in baby's room but have Moses basket in our room. I will use carrycot downstairs although am a bit worried as they told me in shop the bugaboo cameleon has not been officially tested for overnight sleeps???

Not overnight sleeps - no pram carrycot is recommended for that technically. But a few hours at a time is fine. Or so I have been told - you just need to make sure you keep an eye on them, I think the issue is more to do with unsupervised sleeping. Leaving them in it for an hour or so while they have a little nap won't do any harm.

Not overnight sleeps - no pram carrycot is recommended for that technically. But a few hours at a time is fine. Or so I have been told - you just need to make sure you keep an eye on them, I think the issue is more to do with unsupervised sleeping. Leaving them in it for an hour or so while they have a little nap won't do any harm.

That's what I thought! The uppa baby vista carrycot is suitable for overnight sleeps though (I had narrowed it down to vista or cameleon). I reckon the cot bed will be used sooner rather than later!

The Uppababy Viata is what I'm probably going for - the overnight carrycot is definitely one of the selling points for me.

• Advertisement

oh yeah - thats right, the uppababy is one of the very few that has had confirmed safety for overnight sleeps.

Advertisement