Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

The Uppababy Viata is what I'm probably going for - the overnight carrycot is definitely one of the selling points for me.

Yes and you can buy a nice stand for it :) I went with the cameleon as have a Moses basket and cot bed. I do think its a bit of a joke that cameleon hasn't been tested as mattress is aerosleep and very expensive to buy seperately!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SeventySix

We got the uppababy on our first and she slept in it overnight. It was very handy. I took it in to Mothercare to find a moses basket stand to fit it as we dont take the wheels upstairs. I want to use it on the second baby but I am having a very hard time finding a new mattress.

SeventySix wrote: »
    We got the uppababy on our first and she slept in it overnight. It was very handy. I took it in to Mothercare to find a moses basket stand to fit it as we dont take the wheels upstairs. I want to use it on the second baby but I am having a very hard time finding a new mattress.

Did you try ebay? If you still have no luck baby elegance custom make mattresses €45 they are healthguard foam 5cm in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Hi Ladies and Gents..
    Love reading this thread every couple of days...Due my first baby Jan 8th and its great to get other peoples opinions and expertise....so far all going well with nothing out of the ordinary affecting me(fingers crossed),,tiredness can get to me sometimes and I can cry at he drop of a hat but sure Ive only 12 weeks left if I go full term..Not sure of the sex yet but seeing as 6 of my friends all had girls this year Im seeing a boy coming my way.Im glad we opted not to find out though.Theres very few real surprises left in life so heres one coming our way...Anyway keep up the great conversations here..

Good luck to all:)
    XXXxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭moodswing

Hi, due my second baby also on Jan 8th Leitrim Lady! Feels like this pregnancy has flown (so far!) with a toddler running me ragged ha. Good luck to everyone x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

So happy. I applied for voluntary redundancy and i got it. Officially finish work end of November. Not a huge lump sum but i would have sttuggled to find a childminder and the expense wouldn't have been worth it considering what i earn. My LO is over the moon that she will have mammy and bump bringing her to school:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

rsl1976 wrote: »
    So happy. I applied for voluntary redundancy and i got it. Officially finish work end of November. Not a huge lump sum but i would have sttuggled to find a childminder and the expense wouldn't have been worth it considering what i earn. My LO is over the moon that she will have mammy and bump bringing her to school:-)

Congrats hope it works out for ye, can be a tough decision but the redundancy makes it a little easier im sure.

January getting very close now, very excited.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This thread makes me so excited,I have 3 January babies and i am so excited for you all:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

As we're getting close now, I thought I'd start off a list of due dates, similar to some of the other threads! So feel free to add yours in.

Chattastrophe! - Boy due 4th January - Holles St

RSL1976.... Due 23rd January

Rotunda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Coopaloop due 2nd January

Holles street

Moodswing - Boy due January 8th - Holles Street

Sooo so far we've got ...

Coopaloop - due 2nd January - Holles St
    Moodswing - Boy due 8th January - Holles St
    rsl1976 - due 23rd January - Rotunda

Anyone else can copy and paste this list and add themselves in. :)

Sooo so far we've got ...

Coopaloop - due 2nd January - Holles St
    Moodswing - due 8th January - Holles St
    rsl1976 - Boy due 23rd January - Rotunda

Anyone else can copy and paste this list and add themselves in. :)

Thanks for putting them together Chattastrophe! Getting close now hope everyone is feeling good for the last few weeks :D

moodswing wrote: »
    Thanks for putting them together Chattastrophe! Getting close now hope everyone is feeling good for the last few weeks :D

I honestly don't feel like it's so close at all! :eek: I'm definitely not at the "uncomfortable" stage yet, feeling pretty good really!

I've started my antenatal classes, they're really interesting! I'm not at all afraid of the whole labour/birth part yet, maybe I should be! :D Just looking forward to it really!

I honestly don't feel like it's so close at all! :eek: I'm definitely not at the "uncomfortable" stage yet, feeling pretty good really!

I've started my antenatal classes, they're really interesting! I'm not at all afraid of the whole labour/birth part yet, maybe I should be! :D Just looking forward to it really!

I am so scared of the birth part! I am doing my classes the first week in dec with the domino scheme in holles street. They are just over two nights :)

This is my second baby - did the classes the first time in Holles Street and they were a great help! Also found all the doctors and midwives lovely for the whole labour / post labour period!

Has anyone got their hospital bag(s) packed yet? I haven't, really must get that sorted ...

Has anyone got their hospital bag(s) packed yet? I haven't, really must get that sorted ...

I got a few bits for mine yesterday - must start putting them in the actual bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Ive started getting some things together,none of its in the bag yet! Ill finish it in the next week tho just in case.

• Advertisement

I just went into superdrug last weekend and bought, 2x maternity towels, mini shower gel, mini deodorant and mini moisturiser, travel pack baby wipes (instead of make up wipes!), mini toothpaste and a toothbrush. I don't know about buying disposable undies? Maybe just use normal undies? It nipple cream? And I read we need a dark towel which I will have to buy :( as all mine are white! And am on the hunt for a granny nightdress with buttons that costs less than €20 preferably less than €10! Also was looking at nappies in tesco and think I will buy size 2 not size one as They think my baby will be over 8lbs? There is a list on the coombe website that I am using! I am doing the domino scheme so all going well I won't need have the things!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Guineys are great for the aul granny night dresses, and they have buttons at the front and are a decent length which will be important should be contraction catch you unawares you don't want to have your nightie up around your whoo-ha in the corridor! And they are very cheap. I bought a few for between €7-10. Also got some nice cotton pyjamas which are great because the hospital and be quite warm and after the birth you will probably want bottoms rather than a nightie after a day or two.

I was taken in unexpectedly last week with pre eclampsia and again this week. Another item I have to recommend is just small clip on night light if you like to read. That way if you can't sleep you can read your book without disturbing anyone else, because the lights over the beds can be quite bright. Also bring ear plugs and an eye mask because the wards can be hectic on occasion.

Bring some snacks too - not for during the birth really but for after. Here in the rotunda the main meal is at 12.30 and tea is at about 5.30 and then you get a cuppa and a biscuit or scone at about 7pm. Portions aren't huge which is fine as I tend to only be able for little meals and often, but from 7pm to 8.30am the next morning is a loooong time so drinks, light snacks, bananas etc are good to have when you get peckish.

And don't forget your granny knickers! Big huge ginormous granny pants. You can get them in guineys too!

And don't delay in getting at least your basic bag of jammies and toiletries organised because you really just never know when you might get kept in. I was totally not expecting to be kept in at 29 weeks.

And I also think have 2 bags ready, one at home and maybe one in your or your partner's car. Your bag is no good at home if you take ill or go into labour away from home and then someone needs to drive home to get it and come back. Have a back up with at least a nightie and toothbrush in whatever car your partner is travelling in - that way if they bring you or meet you at the hospital you will have some bits and won't need to send anyone off to collect your bags in a rush.

BTW

Hello Lady! Due 10th Jan but scheduled for induction 27th December, possibly earlier depending on how the blood pressure behaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

Hey, Have any of ye bought your buggies/travel systems yet? What did ye opt for? new or secondhand? also What do ye plan on putting baby to sleep in as a new born? cot/moses basket or pram part of travel system? Seen an ad on donedeal recently selling a crib and was wondering about one of them but some say its a waste when have moses basket and pram. BUT i really dont know. I am so so confused as to what we should be investing in.
    on the sleeping thing, its so uncomfortable now. Cant get comfy on either side, all i want to do is sleep on my back but thats sore and not recommended... if only I could down a few glasses of wine to comatose myself!!! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Got new travel system, City select in the double option new from mothercare. Bought it on their mother and baby night so got 10% discount and used some vouchers. Grandad is paying for it actually, but wanted to keep costs to a minimum for him

Going to use the carry cot part of the system for daytime naps downstairs. Not bothering with a moses basket as just don't have space for two carry cots, two moses baskets and two cots! They will sleep in their own cots in their own room from day one - they should be used to it anyway from the hospital as they will probably need to spend a bit of time in the baby care unit anyway.

If you have a moses basket I don't think you need a crib too - they are about the same size anyway just that the crib usually rocks. The moses basket will be more portable so easier to bring from upstairs to downstairs and vice versa if you want.

Don't stress too much about it. Get what you can afford and once baby is safe s/he will be fine. Even a drawer will do!

If using a cot make sure bubs is feet to bottom and I was also told by the midwife to avoid using bumper sets and duvets until they are about a year old. The bumpers and duvets can get tangled with baby as they wriggle and are too heavy for baby to kick off when they are so small. The cellular blankets and a few layers are enough.

We got the Uppababy Vista travel system in green, I can't wait to start using it! :D A big selling point for me is that the carrycot is the only one on the market approved for overnight sleeping. It has loads of great features, and folds up really neatly too in an upright position, which is handy for saving space!

Going to get a Moses basket too, won't bother with a crib/cradle. I think I may be getting a second-hand cot from a colleague, don't need to worry about that for a few months anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Due 23rd January, wish i was due earlier!!

Thinking about getting the Quinny Buzz travel system. Its very confusing but I like how light it is and the wheels are supposed to be country roads and walking. I've a few bits bought but need to organise getting them into a bag for take off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

If I loose this post again I'll f-ing scream.

hello Lady - There ye are :) hope you are keeping well, are you still in ? Great advice on the bags :)

Have my actual bag, so I though I was doin well :)
    Went into Penny's and bought some large pjs with buttons on the top, cozy sock and fabilis knickers :)
    Just need to get the small toiletries, wash the baby grows and I'm away in a hack .. Next week I promise I'll have it done :)

We bought the Stokke and I can't WAIT for it to arrive and to play with it. Its Lso approved for overnight sleeping. Babys Godmother is buying a Moses basket as a Pressie, and we bought a cot bed in the Mamas n Papas sale.
    Have nearly everything I think .. Sometimes I wake my self up panicking that I have forgotten something major.

due in 10 weeks, and it's feckin dragging by if I'm honest, although its been very straightforward, but I think I'm at the stage where I'm almost ready so it can't come quick enough

Got my travel sized toiletries today and some newborn nappies to add to my labour ward bag. It's so weird but i really can't remember doing this on my other two. My eldest will be 18 in december so im thinking my mam done it all for me that time round because i was quite young :-)

On a different note heartburn is so annoying it's even waking me up during the night. When will i have a full nights sleep again :-)

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Got my travel sized toiletries today and some newborn nappies to add to my labour ward bag. It's so weird but i really can't remember doing this on my other two. My eldest will be 18 in december so im thinking my mam done it all for me that time round because i was quite young :-)

On a different note heartburn is so annoying it's even waking me up during the night. When will i have a full nights sleep again :-)

My new cure for heartburn is green extra chewing gum! Mine was so bad it was making me vomit! But I am getting great relief from chewing gum. Using a spearmint lidl one at the mo and it is not as good as green extra!

• Advertisement

Hey guys if anyone is looking at getting the uppababy vista travel system I have just come across it on http://hugzbabystore.com
    For €720 in black including car seat and isofix base. Bargain bargain! Valid till 24th November using 20% off coupon wintersalex1 at checkout. Delivery is free for orders over €75.

Advertisement