Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Dekstop freezing now at same spot. Have to manually shut off everytime

Options
  • 25-04-2013 9:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

Hi, my dell Inspiron running win8 keeps freezing at the same spot every time I use it now for the past day, before that I had no problems. Its an old dell, about 5 y/o but have had no problems before this. When I start it up, it can sometimes freeze out of nowhere on the desktop, and if I start it up, and go to shut it down, it will freeze on the shut down. It also ALWAYS freezes when I try to load itunes, but chrome is fine.

I have done an error check on the hard drive in my computer and it said no errors. One thing I have noticed, is when I start the computer, in task manager, the Disk activity is always at 99/100% and when I load itunes, the CPU goes to 100% consistently. But I have all things on start up disabled apart from skydrive. Is this normal? Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

BostonB wrote: »

Yes but ive been using itunes for months with this same computer and no problems. The computer also freezes the odd time, even if I dont open itunes, so its not exclusively linked to itunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You said it ALWAYS freezes when you run iTunes. Which suggests its running out of resources or something else is using them. Specially using the HD.

Personally I'd uninstall all unnecessary stuff, run ccleaner, then look in detail at the services that are running. Try and unload as many of them as possible. Leaving the ones you need.

Only you will know which apps to keep and leave.

Have you ever cleaned out the computer from dust etc. Have you monitor the temps of the system. Maybe its overheating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

BostonB wrote: »
    You said it ALWAYS freezes when you run iTunes. Which suggests its running out of resources or something else is using them. Specially using the HD.

Personally I'd uninstall all unnecessary stuff, run ccleaner, then look in detail at the services that are running. Try and unload as many of them as possible. Leaving the ones you need.

Only you will know which apps to keep and leave.

Have you ever cleaned out the computer from dust etc. Have you monitor the temps of the system. Maybe its overheating.
    I disabled all apps on start up. I have very apps/programs installed anyway. I recently opened the casing, and cleaned out a lot of the dust. Its also in a well ventilated and cool area so cant see it being overheated. I also ran ccleaner and cleared the registry and unnecessary files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Well its a process of elimination.

Run a memory test too. Check the ram.

Run a live CD of another OS see if it does it then. If its hardware it will. If not its software. Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is it only iTunes that is causing issues? Try other programs you have installed apart from Chrome and see if they also crash. As mentioned above iTunes is a horribly bloated program, so it could be the program causing the issues. It could also be a hardware issue like dodgy memory, but I would try uninstalling and re-installing iTunes first, see here and making sure to backup your library's contents, see here first.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

In Task Manager / Processes, look at CPU and see what's using the CPU up.

Advertisement