Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meter readings sky high and meter working properly

Options
  • 25-04-2013 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

been on free units allowence with 8yrs and rarly use 250 units out of 300, all read by meter lady for 6 1/2 yrs.in the last 18mths (estimated bill as new fence errected in back yard)i handed in my reading and was told it was 2000 units over.im now in debit to 600€ because of it....i have done the checks to see if meter is faulty,(switch off for 30mins to check if wheel spins)i have done my maths on units used washer,dryer ,heaters ,computers etc from esb calculator and still something is on in house thats using an extra 150units every two months..firstly id like to ask 

1...what is causing it if i havent changed my house set up or unit usage in 6yrs (no new appliances never use dryer as its cheaper to go laundrette) if meter isnt broken.

2.does the landlord cover the cost if its faulty wires

3.are the esb going to cut me off if i pay 10€ a week added with units allowence as they emailed me back saying € 10 was too little wen i asked.

the maths part for people.....all for two months done by calculator on ESB site

(computer 150units 
    ovens,eletric blankets heaters all done by wattage was 150units or lower than.. adverage usage for 6yrs including winter was 250-300 units,18 mths estamated bill its jumped to 450units

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Mcdaids69,

If there is faulty wiring, you would need to discuss payment for this consumption with your landlord. It would be advisable to maybe have an electrician check the wiring.

Disconnection is a very last resort and is case-by-case - the most important thing is that you pay as much as you can when you can, and contact us whenever there is anything you need to let us know. Then once you are in a position to have an eight-week instalment plan set up, do let us know immediately so that we can arrange this, and it will prevent "Balance overdue" reminders.

Do let us know if we can be of further assistance to you; drop us a private message with your account details if you wish.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

the maths part for people.....all for two months done by calculator on ESB site

(computer 150units 
    ovens,eletric blankets heaters all done by wattage was 150units or lower than.. adverage usage for 6yrs including winter was 250-300 units,18 mths estamated bill its jumped to 450units

Bear in mind that those are only guideline values and all electrical appliances will vary in wattage

Advertisement