Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points for driving on Luas line?

Options
  • 25-04-2013 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I drove on the luas line at the back of the CCD (Conference Centre Dublin) going toward Spencer Dock, hands up no excuse, it was a silly mistake.
    Anyway I got pulled over by the Garda, they took my details and told me I'd be getting a penalty points notice in the post.

I'm just not sure what offense I'll be hit with. I had a look through the RSA "Offences Incurring Penalty Points" and the possibilities are:

Failure to obey traffic rules at railway level crossing - 2 points
    Failure to complywith prohibitory traffic signs - 2 points
    Driver found to be driving carelessly - court appearance

Anybody done for this offense in the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Is driving on tram rails prohibited in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes and no. It depends on the street. Some streets allow both cars and Luas trams to travel on them. On certain parts of the Luas routes, the road is reserved for trams only. There are distinct & clearly visible signs telling car drivers not to drive down them.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

Whats the deal with hardcourt street then ? ...the taxis block up the road completely and everybody seems to overtake the taxis on the luas ..the guards dont seem to care

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

hegarty147 wrote: »
    Whats the deal with hardcourt street then ? ...the taxis block up the road completely and everybody seems to overtake the taxis on the luas ..the guards dont seem to care

cant really do that any more with the plastic barriers up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I know this particular road and line as ive done it myself a few times going into the apartments there.

there are road signs for no straight ahead, no entry.

just have to take it. ive seen plenty of people getting done by gardai there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

CiniO wrote: »
    Is driving on tram rails prohibited in Ireland?

There's parts you can cross but driving up them isn't allowed afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Driving without due care and consideration - 2 penalty points

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

cant really do that any more with the plastic barriers up

There is gaps in the bollards huge ones ...I was there myself last nite dropping somebody off and lots of people were doing it. I either had to wait behind all the taxis or pull out and overtake on luas. I did that and passed a gardai car wasnt stopped or anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

The gardai are always using the luas lines around chancery street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement