Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€800 -€1.2k gaming computer

Options
  • 25-04-2013 11:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€1000~ willing to go 100 or 200 over if needed]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming] (If gaming include which games: ARMA II, ARMA III, Battlefield 3/4)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No, I have no parts]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [Preferably a 22 inch or 24 inch, at 1920x1080]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] I need a keyboard, mouse, wireless card, decent default speakers on the case. I don't know what a card reader does in detail, but if it's needed, yes.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No unless it's safe]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 10-60 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [County Wicklow.]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭MisterMioster

http://www.hardwareversand.de/USB/60177/Sharkoon+Skiller+Gaming+Keyboard.article

I'm pretty sure that has English QWERTY as the keyboard layout?
    Also I prefer this case:
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=73553&agid=631&apop
    It's 20 euro cheaper, has anti vibration, 6.fans and some other cool features...plus it looks nicer and has meshed sides for airflow? Or could the other case be better and why?

I wouldn't take the picture as to what layout it is. You could e-mail them to make sure.

The cooltek case is much better quality but go for whatever you prefer. The looks are subjective anyway.

What makes it better?

Maybe your choice for the case is better as it hasn't many places where dust can get in? But will it stay cool enough with only

• Advertisement

with only 3 fans*

Sound dampened, better build quality, better fans, rubber grommets in the cable management holes, native 2.5" bays, black case cables, dust filters.

3 fans is more than you get with most cases. Additional case fans are cheap anyway.

Alright, it also has dust filters and some day ill get liquid cooling as an upgrade...
    Will that keyboard I linked a few comments up have an English layout? On the picture it had the English qwerty layout.

Sorry for so many questions,I'm just trying to get a perfect gaming pc for my budget....if I can i want to lower the price to 1000-1100 without getting a cheaper GPU or CPU or RAM etc

Will that case have good default sound quality or is that speaker set necessary?
    Will I lose out on a lot without the SSD? I know SSDs are quicker than HDDs for loading pictures and other files but is it really going to boost my gaming?

Nvm, I emailed about the keyboard and all my questions except for the one about SSDs have been answered;
    Will I lose out on much if I don't get the SSD? I know they're faster but is it really worth the extra 80-90 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Nvm, I emailed about the keyboard and all my questions except for the one about SSDs have been answered;
    Will I lose out on much if I don't get the SSD? I know they're faster but is it really worth the extra 80-90 euro?

It makes general computing usage so much more convenient. Programmes installed in 10 seconds instead of a minute. Games loaded much faster. Booting the computer in 15 seconds.

Once you get one you'll never go back :) But if you'd like to save money, it's fine to leave it out, but I would definitely get one in due time.

• Advertisement

Thanks, would there be any other way of lowering the price without lowering the gaming performance?
    If I could get 1100 I'd be very happy, if I can't lower the price without lowering game performance, it stays at 1180.

Would this wifi card work well on mulitiplayer, ArmA and BF multiplayer, with a decent internet provider?
    And will this combo allow me to play ultra settings, 1920x1080p with a very good FPS? (for me decent = 20-35, very good = 40+ average.)

The ssd will only improve loading times. You could drop it for now if you wanted to save some money and get it later.

What do you mean the case has speakers already?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you want a decent gaming experience, don't use WiFi, use an ethernet cable.

There is no audio output of any kind without the speakers. You could plug headphones in or something, but without speakers, nothing's going to be making any noise (except the fans).

As for BF3, I can't find an extra review, but at a guesstimate, I'd say you'll spend the majority of time above 30FPS at Ultra settings.

Thanks Ser' and Blood, turns out the Sapphire HD 7870 XT 2GB w/Boost, i5 3570K quad core 3.4GHZ and 8GB RAM gets an average of 60FPS, max of 85/115 and minimum of 50/55 FPS in Battlefield 3's campaign...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn9W8x06O8A
    (Plus this video's user's processor is not as good as the i5 3570k)

And in arma 3 alpha it gets 40FPS in an intense firefight and 75 when roaming according to the recent comments on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5g-n8pwcKg
    Plus, it should get more FPS in the official version once it's out too.

Thanks so much for this build Blood....for 1180 I feel like I'm getting something like my friend's monster of a pc (worth 1600)
    He says he gets an average of 55FPS in an Arma 3 firefight, and I'm going to be probably getting 40~ for 720 less....
    And I just thought the case might have built in steroes, because my laptop's case does? Idk, doesn't matter much anyway, I'll just get the SSD and Stereo, they're worth the extra price.

But is this really the best I can get for 1180~? And my room is too far away from the internet box for an ethernet cable...I can't hook up the internet in my room because there isn't any phone cable sockets in my room.

Like what I mean is, a computer like the one you send the parts to me Blood would cost like 1500 at least in stores like pc world, currys etc here in ireland...yet I'm getting it for 1180. Any other cheaper parts with the same quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

In a word, no.

Not really. Most of the parts I picked are top quality budget options. If there were cheaper parts with the same quality I'd be recommending them :)

If you really want to save some money now you could delay the ssd purchase. It won't affect the performance of your games anyway.

If you didn't want to overclock then you could change the cpu + board to the non overclockable versions and drop the cpu cooler saving €80. You could save another €15 getting the club3d version of the same 7870xt.

That would bring it to under 1k for pretty much the same performance.

If I were to over clock would it boost my FPS by much? Sometimes I've seen OCing only adding 5FPS?

If I were to over clock would it boost my FPS by much? Sometimes I've seen OCing only adding 5FPS?

It depends on the game, but general speaking, you'll likely have a gain of more than 20% per game with that card if you overclock it.

Some games are more cpu dependant than others. RTS games are usually pretty cpu dependant. You might get benchmarks showing large gains in those but it would be smaller in fps games.

You're always going trade off some performance for price. The only other way of getting the price down would be to cut the case, mouse, speakers ect down to super budget options but I wouldn't.

• Advertisement

Alright, sorry for so many questions I just want to feel 100% happy if I spend 1.2k (I'm going to boost the 450W to 500W (+4) and get a keyboard(+15-20) whichll add another 20~)

Yeah ArmA 2 is super CPU intensive so the i5 3570k overclocked is a god for Arma 2...ArmA 3 is CPU intensive but not half as intensive...
    Will that cooler keep the i5 3570k cool while OCed or will I need something else?

Yes it's hand's down the best budget cooler. (sub €30)

I've overclocked two 3570k's to 4.5ghz+ with them and they max at around 65c.

Wow 4.5 GHZ compared to a 3.4GHZ when not OCed? That is way more than what I thought I'd get...

Also, is there any thing I should worry about when making the pc? My desk will be cleared from all things besides the pieces, my desk is made of wood and is on a wooden floor. There is a carpet nearby but about a metre from the desk, so will static be a problem? And will I have to always be careful with static when playing my pc or will the case keep it safe? I heard taking off socks and standing on a wooden floor when building will remove changed of frying your pc parts ? But should I get one of those ground charge wrist bands?

It's just I've heard stories of pcs worth 2k or so being fried by static when being built..

chances not changed*

Just ground yourself on something metallic that's grounded like a radiator before touching the parts and you will be fine.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yes it's hand's down the best budget cooler. (sub €30)

I've overclocked two 3570k's to 4.5ghz+ with them and they max at around 65c.

Doing what? Small FFTs gets about that (a tad more maybe) at 4.6ghz. IntelBurnTest gets me to 85/86, though.

Large FFT's. Smalls don't get high at all. I have good airflow though. 2x200mm intakes, 1 x 200mm and 140mm exhaust.

What do you reckon I'd get temperature wise with that case+i5 OCed to 4.5GHZ +cooler you picked for me blood ?

It's hard to say. The silicon lottery will dictate how far you can go at what voltages.

Those chips seem to be pretty consistent though.

I'd say you could do 4.4 - 4.6 depending on how good the chip is.

-Edit-

Intel burn is around 80-85c also. You will rarely ever see these temps in normal use and only for short periods if you do. It's still under the throttling temp. I haven't had a single crash running @ 4.5ghz.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's hard to say. The silicon lottery will dictate how far you can go at what voltages.

Those chips seem to be pretty consistent though.

I'd say you could do 4.4 - 4.6 depending on how good the chip is.

-Edit-

Intel burn is around 80-85c also. You will rarely ever see these temps in normal use and only for short periods if you do. It's still under the throttling temp. I haven't had a single crash running @ 4.5ghz.

It makes me think that 4.7 is possible on my chip, even 4.8, if I can stomach 100 degrees in IBT. I mean it stays 772-74 MAX in Prime large FFTs.

Advertisement