Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€800 -€1.2k gaming computer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

At the end of the 8 hour small FFT will it say if its stable or not?

It stops running if it encounters an error. So if it's still running when you come back to it then it's stable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭MisterMioster

Is it worth it to overclock the hd 7870 XT Boost anymore because I have no clue what I should overclock it to because its not a common GPU in Ireland so will I overclock it and risk the damage or just leave it
    I'm a newb at pc building bare with my endless questions :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Is it worth it to overclock the hd 7870 XT Boost anymore because I have no clue what I should overclock it to because its not a common GPU in Ireland so will I overclock it and risk the damage or just leave it
    I'm a newb at pc building bare with my endless questions :p

I don't really understand your question. Yes, it is safe to overclock it, just read a few articles online about the basics of overclocking graphics cards and report to us if you need confirmation/help with a few things. The XT OCs really well. You'll handily get more than 20% extra out of the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Nvm, I emailed about the keyboard and all my questions except for the one about SSDs have been answered;
    Will I lose out on much if I don't get the SSD? I know they're faster but is it really worth the extra 80-90 euro?
    Its worth the extra trust me..just finished my build and the ssd makes it so much faster than my old machine..

Like I mean you could search "Radeon HD 7850 Overclock" and there would be forums and videos where people would say what they managed to add to their clock speed while the 7870 XT Boost isn't very common so there isn't many forums or videos saying what they added to the core clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Most of those cards from the 7850 upwards will do around 1200/6000 if it has a decent cooler and case airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

At the end of the 8 hour small FFT will it say if its stable or not?

Make sure you have "Round off checking" enabled in the settings. Without this, Prime won't report errors, and AFAIK it's disabled by default.

Also, you really want to leave it for longer than eight hours. Twenty-four is what I tend to go for. I've found that if something passes LinX or IBT without errors, it'll only fail Prime after twelve to eighteen hours.

Large FFT's will push temps higher than small ones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I usually run a custom test, with FFT size from 8K (low-end of small) to 1024K (high-end of large) and 90% RAM utilization. I've found this to be the best indicator of stability so far.

I just remembered that ill need a mic for talking in game...nothing fancy, but not bad quality

• Advertisement

And I'm going to wait until the 6th to order because half of my build is back in stock on the 6th and if I buy the other instock parts now, I won't be home when they arrive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

And I'm going to wait until the 6th to order because half of my build is back in stock on the 6th and if I buy the other instock parts now, I won't be home when they arrive.

You'd be better off just ordering everything now, as it will reserve both the items coming back into stock, and the items in stock now, but nothing will ship until the entire order is complete by the new stock arrival on the 6th.

If you simply wait until the 6th to order, something else might go out of stock in the meantime.

Oh I didn't know that, thanks! But what about a mic ?

Oh I didn't know that, thanks! But what about a mic ?

Do you have headphone already? If so just get one of these for your desk.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=17832&agid=264&apop=0

If you are using speakers there will be feedback making it difficult for other people to hear you. The solution to that would be to get a headset with a built in microphone.

Will the headset make the sounds of other people's voices and my speakers will make the game sounds or will the headset make the game + voice sounds ?

If it makes the game sounds, Id get a very good quality headset but if it only lets me hear the players' voices then I don't need a very good one

Will the headset make the sounds of other people's voices and my speakers will make the game sounds or will the headset make the game + voice sounds ?

The normal setup would have both sounds coming from the headset. This is what most people use and it's what i recommend.

Apparently this headset is good for the price offering very good sound quality.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Wired/57398/Plantronics+Headset+GameCom+780.article

Another advantage of a headset that I have found is they make it very easy to tell which way your enemy is coming from. This is almost essential for playing any multiplayer first person shooter.

I'm already past my budget by €100 so I can't get something like that now..
    Would I be able to make this only make the sounds of voices ? :
    https://www.hardwareversand.de/Wired/50411/Logitech+PC+Headset+860.article

Plus the stereo setup I'm getting will be good enough for surround sound and will have very decent sound quality and I might use my brother's hd studio beats from time to time

Plus the stereo setup I'm getting will be good enough for surround sound and will have very decent sound quality and I might use my brother's hd studio beats from time to time

If you have access to a good quality set of headphones with no microphone then you could buy the cheap desktop microphone and use them together.

The problem with speakers and microphones is even if you don't get feedback you will get game sounds being transmitted to people you are trying to talk to.

• Advertisement

Yeah but with my laptop my built in mic was always by my speaker and I played arma (with tons of lag and super low quality settings) without headphones on and I just talked loud and my friends got used to it so ill just use the cheap mic and someday in the future ill get a proper one.
    Thanks !

I was just ordering the build then I realised that it says 'discontinued line' for the Hd 7870 XT Boost? Does that mean its not coming back in stock again ?

Yes it does. This has gone up in price but it's still a good deal coming to about €229 including delivery.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/AMD+Radeon/Radeon+HD+7870+Tahiti+LE/XFX+Double+D+Radeon+HD+7870+GHz+Edition+%28Tahiti+LE%29+OC+2GB+GDDR5+Graphics+Card+%5BFX-787A-CNAC%5D+%2B+4+FREE+GAMES%21+?productId=55140

Can you list what you're ordering again to make sure there's nothing better. Haswell has come out since the first list.

There's my basket for hardwareversand and the keyboard from amazon.
    The build is the same as the one you picked but it has a 24" instead of a 21.5", 500W instead of 450W, a mic and an anti static band. ( I know the anti static band isn't needed to ground yourself but I prefer to spend the €2.75 and be free of mind)

http://postimg.org/gallery/4d5ymmie/0608d8ae/

There is no GPU in that build as its not coming back in stock. With the 7870 xt at its old €205 price, the build + delivery + keyboard = €1274.64

I just emailed them and hopefully they'll sell it at least one more time for me at the same price. To me Germans are known for being very good at business therefor they wouldn't be foolish enough to not sell such a good gaming card?

If it's discontinued they won't be able to order that card in to sell it on to you.

Dammit :'( it's such a good card for that price...has there ever been times where something is discontinued but then gets sold again later? And what other card would be as good as this card or better? I could move the 24" monitor back to 21.5" and save €30 and then use that €30 for a better GPU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

What about for overclocking? The 7870 XT Boost overclocked is barely behind the 7970 and that's why it made me so eager to get.

Without overclocking, which would be better? The Sapphire 7870 XT Boost or Club 3D 7870 CT Jokercard?

• Advertisement

What about for overclocking? The 7870 XT Boost overclocked is barely behind the 7970 and that's why it made me so eager to get.

Without overclocking, which would be better? The Sapphire 7870 XT Boost or Club 3D 7870 CT Jokercard?

With out overclocking they are the exact same.

Advertisement