Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€800 -€1.2k gaming computer

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭MisterMioster

And is that single fan worse quality than the dual fans on the XT Boost? What's the overclock potential for the jokercard like and be honest is the sapphire 7870 XT Boost better? If it is ill just pay extra and get it from another website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

What about for overclocking? The 7870 XT Boost overclocked is barely behind the 7970 and that's why it made me so eager to get.

Without overclocking, which would be better? The Sapphire 7870 XT Boost or Club 3D 7870 CT Jokercard?

Same chips. Different coolers. Sapphire's cooler is a bit better I think. Not much difference. At stock they are both the same. They probably both OC the same too, but the Sapphire will be a bit quieter/cooler.

Idk I just saw some reviews, other forums and comments on videos and forums saying the sapphire is much better than the club3d because its way quieter, cooler and comparable to a 7970 while the club3d is only comparable to a 7950...plus they say that the sapphire overclocks with much better temperatures

Sapphire is better if you have the money. Although at 20 quid more expensive you are heading into diminishing returns. Some would value the better cooling, some would find the Joker perfectly fine. I would personally go for the Joker. They are both great cards. If you have the money, go for the Sapphire.

The thing that annoys me is I used to be able to get the build for €1270 altogether but now Ill have to spend €1304 for the same build and for some reason €1299 always seems less than €1300 if you know what I mean ?

I can also save €30 on a cheaper monitor but ill be sacrificing 3" and anti glare (which lets me play for longer as I have contact lenses which dry up after looking at some screens for long) but that will make me love my build less...

This might sound stupid but with the better monitor and sapphire GPU I'd feel like I have a much more badass gaming pc than with the club3d and cheaper monitor...

Ill just wait until hardwareversand email me back and wait until BloodBath sees my current build. He said something like "can you rename your current build for me? I might be able to make a better build for you now that haswell is out."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭psugrue

did you look for your items on hardwareversand via http://geizhals.de/ , should be able to save a few bob

Yeah but I don't speak german and most likely the price of the shipping + GPU will amount to over €250. Which is the same as what I'd spend for it on amazon

Yeah but I don't speak german and most likely the price of the shipping + GPU will amount to over €250. Which is the same as what I'd spend for it on amazon

Most of their customer service team have good English. If they don't, you will be put on to one who does have good English.

Their shipping is a flat 19 euro. If you are buying the card individually, then yes, Amazon will likely be better.

Could you guys help me with this:

Should I pick the Sapphire Hd 7870 XT Boost (€256 on amazon when converted to euros + with shipping) and spend €30 less on the monitor to make up for the price or spend that €30 on the monitor and get the ClubHD Jokercard instead?
    Is the Sapphire HD 7870 XT really worth €256? I've heard it's an excellent card on youtube and forums but is it worth €256?

Cheap monitor http://www.hardwareversand.de/56+cm+%2822%29+/74645/LG+22EA53VQ-P.article

Better monitor
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=74649&agid=1650

(I know this forum is super long but I just want to be 100% if I spend so much on a gaming pc and I want to make sure it'll be able to play games on ultra for a good few more years)

Could you guys help me with this:

Should I pick the Sapphire Hd 7870 XT Boost (€256 on amazon when converted to euros + with shipping) and spend €30 less on the monitor to make up for the price or spend that €30 on the monitor and get the ClubHD Jokercard instead?
    Is the Sapphire HD 7870 XT really worth €256? I've heard it's an excellent card on youtube and forums but is it worth €256?

Cheap monitor http://www.hardwareversand.de/56+cm+%2822%29+/74645/LG+22EA53VQ-P.article

Better monitor
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=74649&agid=1650

(I know this forum is super long but I just want to be 100% if I spend so much on a gaming pc and I want to make sure it'll be able to play games on ultra for a good few more years)
    It's not. The Club3D 7950 could be got for 257 euro on Hardwareversand 'ti recently. Why can't you add either XT to your order on HWVS. No shipping then :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

With out a doubt I would go for the Club 3d card. €256 is too much for the Saphire card. If you had both cards running side by side you could not tell the difference. Yes the saphire card is slightly better but the difference is minuscule. They both use the exact same graphics chips one just has a cooler that looks like it might be better but it's not worth spending much for that.

tuxy wrote: »
    With out a doubt I would go for the Club 3d card. €256 is too much for the Saphire card. If you had both cards running side by side you could not tell the difference. Yes the saphire card is slightly better but the difference is minuscule.

I don't think the OP is purchasing from HWVS now, which is where we're getting the 256 from (217 pounds + pandp Amazon). Purchase from HWVS if you can OP with the rest of your order.

If HWVS had the sapphire in stock, I would have ordered the build by now but they discontinued it's line for some odd reason. I emailed them so there's a slight chance that they might sell it again because its such a good card. They probably won't listen but it's worth a try anyway. I want something as good or better than the Sapphire because I feel the club3d is as good but won't be as good when overclocked.

With the club3D, it won't be too long until Ill have to upgrade or sli the card.
    If needed, go as far as €250 for another video card from HWVS and ill get a smaller monitor to make up for the price.
    (I know I must be a pain but I wanna be 100% happy after I spend so much money so please bare with me)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If you can stretch to €263 then this is a great card, although out of stock atm, otherwise there's nothing of better value than the club3d 7870xt.

I don't think you should down grade the monitor. You are over estimating the performance difference between the club3d and saphire 7870 xt.

It's even possible that the club3d could overclock better. When it comes to overclocking much of it has to do with luck based on the quality of silicon in the GPU you get. But either way we are probably talking about a 5% difference in performance.

Doesn't the 7970 outperform the 7950 and the sapphire 7870 xt boost when overclocked perform barely behind the 7970? I might just go for the jokercard but if the 7950 is better ill pay the extra money

Doesn't the 7970 outperform the 7950 and the sapphire 7870 xt boost when overclocked perform barely behind the 7970? I might just go for the jokercard but if the 7950 is better ill pay the extra money

It is better. If you have the money, it would be worth it for a 1080p card.

Alright I'll order it tomorrow probably.
    Is this better? It costs €13 extra
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/66982/Club+3D+Radeon+HD+7950+royalKing%2C+3GB+GDDR5%2C+AMD+Radeon+HD+7950%2C+PCI-+Express.article

Those all cost €15 extra but would they be worth it? :

http://www.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/75624/Sapphire+Radeon+HD+7950+Boost%2C+3GB+GDDR5%2C+2x+DVI%2C+HDMI%2C+DisplayPort%2C+lite+retail.article
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/55042/Gigabyte+Radeon+HD+7950%2C+3GB+GDDR5%2C+PCI-Express.article

I will spend the money if worth it because saving €30 on the monitor and only losing 2" of screen, not quality or visuals isn't too bad.

I would still go for the club3d 7870 xt and bigger monitor chick out this review
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/club3d_radeon_7870_joker_review,1.html

However if you want to spend a bit more on the card and get a 7950 out of those cards the club3d and saphire are about on par and a bit better than the gigibyte card.

I agree the jokercard looks good but it will only get butter smooth FPS on ultra graphics for games for a year or 2 while the 7950s would still play ultra for many more years according to tech reviewers on youtube like NCIXcom.

How long would the sapphire 7950 stay able to play ultra settings with good FPS for?
    4 years? It's 3GB VRAM isn't a big boost for gaming now but in the future it's supposed to help a lot?

My 21.5" monitor is the exact same quality as the 23.8" version.
    They're the LG22EA5 and LG24EA5 I think so the only difference is size.
    Plus Ill be close enough to the monitor so 21.5" will still be very big. If I can squeeze the extra €30 and 7950 on the day, ill get both.

• Advertisement

I agree the jokercard looks good but it will only get butter smooth FPS on ultra graphics for games for a year or 2 while the 7950s would still play ultra for many more years according to tech reviewers on youtube like NCIXcom.

How long would the sapphire 7950 stay able to play ultra settings with good FPS for?
    4 years? It's 3GB VRAM isn't a big boost for gaming now but in the future it's supposed to help a lot?

My 21.5" monitor is the exact same quality as the 23.8" version.
    They're the LG22EA5 and LG24EA5 I think so the only difference is size.
    Plus Ill be close enough to the monitor so 21.5" will still be very big. If I can squeeze the extra €30 and 7950 on the day, ill get both.

The 7950 has it's perks over the XT, sure. But it's not vastly superior. They're both powerful cards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I wouldn't put too much importance on the 3GB VRAM, by the time that sort of capacity is a must have requirement for 1080p, the HD7950 will be a long way from a top end card as well (It only now 1GB VRAM is really even starting to show signs of being not enough at that resolution)

A number of reviews have got the 7870Xt up to near or above 1200MHz which is a pretty healthy overclock, and would be only a few percent behind a HD7950 at the same speeds.

Sure it won't be whisper quiet compared to some of the better HD7950s in the 270+ euro range, and the better cooling means on average you might squeeze a few more MHz out of HD7950 overclocks, but nothing to the degree where it would have much impact on the expected useful life of either card (After all the are both packing essentially the same GPU).

Yeah but it will be able to play games at ultra graphics settings for a longer period of time and when overclocked it will slightly out perform the 7970 so it is more attractive due to it being able to overclock to a 7970 and being able to play at ultra graphics for longer.

Which one will be better? The Club3D Hd 7950 Royalking or Sapphire HD 7950 Boost? The club3d looks cooler but looks are subjective as it will barely ever be seen once its in the case.

I know I have many questions but these should be my last questions :P

Alright then the Club3D 7870 XT Jokercard isn't that much behind the Club3D 7950 royalKing? I'm confused now which one should I get? Ill be playing Arma II and III and Battlefield 4 mainly.

Alright then the Club3D 7870 XT Jokercard isn't that much behind the Club3D 7950 royalKing?

It will be different from game to game but the 7950 will be about 10% faster.

So if the 7870 xt were to get 50 fps the 7950 will probably get about 55 fps.
    You have to decide if it's worth the extra money. I've already given my opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Alright then the Club3D 7870 XT Jokercard isn't that much behind the Club3D 7950 royalKing? I'm confused now which one should I get? Ill be playing Arma II and III and Battlefield 4 mainly.

My final words on the matter :). Just bear in mind that a monitor will probably last through a couple of GPU upgrades, so if you want a 24" it's no harm to make a small sacrifice on the GPU in terms of a few percentage points and a little extra noise. On the other hand if you are sure you'll have no regrets with the smaller 22" the go right ahead and get the HD7950 now. Either way you'll have a great gaming PC that will play those games no problem.

Honestly there's no need to agonize too much over what is a fairly minor decision, building your own PC is supposed to be a satisfying, enjoyable experience :D

I feel pretty damn happy now :D I found the Sapphire HD 7870 XT Boost for €10 cheaper than the Club3D on amazon plus I'm already buying a keyboard from amazon so it'll be free for delivery for the keyboard and €5 delivery for the GPU :D that's €205 for the GPU :D

Can someone confirm this is the boost version for me and it says "Usually dispatched within 1-3 months" does that mean it'll take 1-3 months for it to arrive? O.o

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00AX2ONI0/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1370481606&sr=1-1&keywords=Sapphire+Radeon+HD+7870+XT+Boost&condition=new

There's the Sapphire for £170
    (I know this forum is way longer than the other ones but I'm just the type of guy who asks a billion questions lol)

It the right card but unfortunately it looks like that seller has a massive £50.00 shipping charge to anywhere outside the UK (Careful of that on amazon for third party seller).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/details/ref=aag_m_fi?marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&isCBA=&seller=A2EHRJY7YUH6ZT&isAmazonFulfilled=&asin=&orderID=#rates

EDIT: In fact I just took it almost all the way to checkout, and they were trying to charge £100 GBP for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭psugrue

just curious, when did the Sapphire 7870xt get discontinued? I ordered it along with my build last Friday, expecting delivery today, never saw anything on the website and they seemed to have a few in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The 7950 is about 20% above the performance of the 7870xt at the same clock speeds.

The deal on Aria is better if you're going for the 7870xt. It's cheaper than the Amazon price you listed and comes with 4 new games free.

Advertisement