Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€800 -€1.2k gaming computer

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭MisterMioster

psugrue wrote: »
    just curious, when did the Sapphire 7870xt get discontinued? I ordered it along with my build last Friday, expecting delivery today, never saw anything on the website and they seemed to have a few in stock.

Tuesday night I think because on Wednesday I realised it was a 'discontinued line' as I was buying it..

They listened to my email and put the Sapphire 7870 XT Boost back in stock but for €20 extra? O.o

Most other websites sell it for £190-£217 (€223-€254 + shipping costs) or for €250 + shipping I suppose €225 for it is still a very good deal?

Should I get it? The build (€1196.04) + shipping (€18.99) + keyboard (€59.93) w/free shipping = €1274.96
    That's a good figure for me as it is sub-€1300 and because that build has the monitor I want and the GPU I want that can overclock to perform barely behind a 7970 and it has all the other essentials.
    It's the exact same build I was about to order yesterday except its €20 dearer.

I think I should get it because it'll have better cooling, way less sound and still cost less than other websites' offers. What do you think? I'm 90% ill order today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The XT Sapphire for 225 is worth it. Bit barely over the Joker for 15 less IMO. As Tuxy said, he would personally go for the Joker with that diff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Gumbi wrote: »
    The XT Sapphire for 225 is worth it. Bit barely over the Joker for 15 less IMO. As Tuxy said, he would personally go for the Joker with that diff.

Although its definately the weakest HD7870XT for cooling I nearly just get the Myst for €199 and turn up the volume on the headphones another notch while in gaming :pac:

marco_polo wrote: »
    Although its definately the weakest HD7870XT for cooling I nearly just get the Myst for €199 and turn up the volume on the headphones another notch while in gaming :pac:
    Well, Joker is put between 205 and 210 on HWVS. But you're right, it is a bit more expensive. The cooling is good, and it being an XT, for the price it is a good buy. But like I said earlier, you are heading into diminishing returns at that stage (comparatively speaking).

• Advertisement

I'm still €25 under budget with the Sapphire and I prefer the better cooling and no sound even if it costs €15 extra because overtime the sound of the jokercard would annoy me when playing at night and ill be able to overclock the sapphire with better temperatures and less noise...the build itself will be relativey quiet and that is very good for me.

My next investment will be on a good gaming headset but for now that can wait :D

Next time I post it'll possibly me saying thanks and that I ordered the build :D
    Last question, is there a better wifi card than that one? That one looks very flimsy and ill be playing via wifi most of the time. (ill have excellent QT 50mp/s wifi soon and probably a wifi booster near my computer too so I'd want a good wifi card)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you want a fast network connection how about this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370535019&sr=8-1&keywords=home+plugs

It's much faster and more stable than wifi

With higher quality graphics does the wifi signal become weaker? Playing ARMA II on the lowest settings possible for graphics, a 8mbps wifi upload speed, 20-25 feet away from the old router and a decent laptop (satellite c660-2el), I rarely ever experience lag due to connection, just due to a poor GPU and CPU.

So with better graphics enabled does the wifi signal strain more? Or just the GPU and CPU etc ?

No different graphics setting has no effect on network usage in games.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'm still €25 under budget with the Sapphire and I prefer the better cooling and no sound even if it costs €15 extra because overtime the sound of the jokercard would annoy me when playing at night and ill be able to overclock the sapphire with better temperatures and less noise...the build itself will be relativey quiet and that is very good for me.

My next investment will be on a good gaming headset but for now that can wait :D

Next time I post it'll possibly me saying thanks and that I ordered the build :D
    Last question, is there a better wifi card than that one? That one looks very flimsy and ill be playing via wifi most of the time. (ill have excellent QT 50mp/s wifi soon and probably a wifi booster near my computer too so I'd want a good wifi card)

Yeah if noise is an importance consideration, then the Sapphire is probably worth the extra €15 to you.
    Well, Joker is put between 205 and 210 on HWVS. But you're right, it is a bit more expensive. The cooling is good, and it being an XT, for the price it is a good buy. But like I said earlier, you are heading into diminishing returns at that stage (comparatively speaking).

I was talking about the powercolor, is cheaper again but probably a little louder and hotter again than even the Club3D.

• Advertisement

Alright and that wifi card is probably even better than the one on my laptop?
    If so, it'll be perfectly fine :D

My laptop:
    http://www.toshiba.ie/discontinued-products/satellite-c660-2el/

The wifi card:
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30773&agid=1147

Yeah if noise is an importance consideration, then the Sapphire is probably worth the extra €15 to you.

I was talking about the powercolor, is cheaper again but probably a little louder and hotter again than even the Club3D.

I know :) I was just following your logic of "this is almost 30 euro cheaper for only a minor/moderate hit in cooling". I was pointing out a "middle ground" in overall perf while highlighting the price (closer to powercolor than Sapphire). C'est tout :)

I know :) I was just following your logic of "this is almost 30 euro cheaper for only a minor/moderate hit in cooling". I was pointing out a "middle ground" in overall perf while highlighting the price (closer to powercolor than Sapphire). C'est tout :)

Sorry read your post completely wrong first time around.

Sorry read your post completely wrong first time around.

I absolve you of your your sins. You are forgiven. :pac:

Alright and that wifi card is probably even better than the one on my laptop?
    If so, it'll be perfectly fine :D

My laptop:
    http://www.toshiba.ie/discontinued-products/satellite-c660-2el/

The wifi card:
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30773&agid=1147

It's nice that you guys are friends again but newbie me needs an answer :cool:

Bump

Bump

Will someone answer me I'm finally ordering tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yes, that WiFi card is fine.

All the plugs are compatible with Irish plugs right? I'm ordering once I confirm this

• Advertisement

No, but the only things that will need changing are the cable into the PSU, and the power cable for the monitor, both of which usually use kettle leads.

Look at the last picture http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitors/lg-24EA53VQ
    It doesn't look like a kettle lead would fit in there? It looks kinda like a circular adaptor

AFAIK that monitor uses an external power brick. That's where you'd be plugging the lead into. It might be a C5 cable, in which case you want this. You can just use an adapter or something until you get the right one.

Instead of that hassle I could get this right? Same monitor, €4 cheaper, from amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-24EA53VQ-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B00BSOT2LA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1370704631&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+24ea53vq

UK plugs are the same as irish ones right?

All hardware shops sell these leads and they are not expensive < €5

post #145, there was no need for this thread to be so long.

Sure could. Yeah, they are.

Thank you and tuxy I'm one of those people who make sure everything is perfect if I'm going to spend a fortune on it...this is the first time I've ever decided to build a computer and asking about UK/German/Irish plug compatibility is understandable.

I guess everyone building a pc for the first time asks millions of questions because they have no idea what is what. Most people find out by reading reviews and articles and watching videos but I prefer to ask people personally :P

Thanks a lot I'm ordering now :D

Enjoy, building PCs is fun. Let us know how you get on.

Well I ordered the amazon stuff easily but for some reason HWVS only takes bank transfers now? Last time I checked it took debit/credit card payments?

• Advertisement

Well I ordered the amazon stuff easily but for some reason HWVS only takes bank transfers now? Last time I checked it took debit/credit card payments?

No it's the opposite. They always took bank transfers and not credit cards.

Advertisement