Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing strawberries from a hanging gallon tub

• 25-04-2013 11:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

Was thinking about getting some big empty water cooler bottles and hanging them, drilling some small holes in and growing strawberry plants from them. Anyone ever done this? I'm reading its a far more beneficial grow method for the plant, as grvity forces the eater down into the roots/plant, and for the fruit as its off the ground avoiding rot and pests.

Has anyone ever done this? Anything I should know before I go for it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

david75 wrote: »
    Was thinking about getting some big empty water cooler bottles and hanging them, drilling some small holes in and growing strawberry plants from them. Anyone ever done this? I'm reading its a far more beneficial grow method for the plant, as grvity forces the eater down into the roots/plant, and for the fruit as its off the ground avoiding rot and pests.

Has anyone ever done this? Anything I should know before I go for it?

Might be of some use to you....:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Cool thanks Paddy!

Gonna start small. Got three in this guy. Jut have to pick a good spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

you have them sticking out of the container sideways? I'm no expert but I don't think this is a natural position for strawberries. I reckon it would be a better job if you cut the top off and planted them in the top. They won't get much rain the way you have them either

Apparently this variety grow happily in a hanging situation. It's just an experiment really. They were only 1.25 each in urban plant life on cork street. Brilliant spot actually. Dublins only inner city garden centre.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

david75 wrote: »
    Apparently this variety grow happily in a hanging situation. It's just an experiment really. They were only 1.25 each in urban plant life on cork street. Brilliant spot actually. Dublins only inner city garden centre.

Dont forget Mr Middleton on Mary Street...up top beside Capel Street.

Honoeye and Cambridge are 2 nice varieties of Strawberry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Theyll do fine planted sideways like that. You'll just have to watch they don't dry out. Because its see-through you might get algae growing on the inside of the container but that shouldn't harm them.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Dont forget Mr Middleton on Mary Street...up top beside Capel Street.

Honoeye and Cambridge are 2 nice varieties of Strawberry.

I was in there a few times Paddy, they were twice the price there.
    Better selection, huge in fact, over in urban plant life.

Thanks for the advice folks. Fingers crossed:)

Advertisement