Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weak wireless signal (How to improve?)

• 26-04-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭

Basically. Can't get a good signal for a PS3.

Because of the layout of the house, the wireless signal has to pass through 2 external walls. Even though the distance is fairly average, the PS3 fails to connect while I can just about get 1 bar on my phone.
    Diagram attached ;)

ATM, I'm using a TP-Link W8968 which I have no problems with except for the one above.
    There is no phone line near the PS3 or even that side of the house.
    I also have a spare Eircom Netopia router around if that's of any use.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Basically. Can't get a good signal for a PS3.

Because of the layout of the house, the wireless signal has to pass through 2 external walls. Even though the distance is fairly average, the PS3 fails to connect while I can just about get 1 bar on my phone.
    Diagram attached ;)

ATM, I'm using a TP-Link W8968 which I have no problems with except for the one above.
    There is no phone line near the PS3 or even that side of the house.
    I also have a spare Eircom Netopia router around if that's of any use.

Thanks in advance.

Spare modem could not be used as a booster but you can buy wireless boosters.

I have the phone and broadband and use a splitter, according to eircom this can affect the quality of the signal going to your modem.

I have bad signal myself and I am waiting for an answer to why they use the splitter if it affects the quality of the broadband.

if you use one unplug it and feed you modem direct and see if that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Could you remove the router further up to decrease the amount of wall its passing through at that angle?

You could use Powerline Adapters which turns your house's electric powerline into a high speed network, or a Stronger Antenna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

NoDrama wrote: »
    You could use Powerline Adapters which turns your house's electric powerline into a high speed network, or a Stronger Antenna.
    Power from both sides of the house go to different switch boards, not sure if the powerline adapters will work.
    I'll look into a different antenna.
    Could you remove the router further up to decrease the amount of wall its passing through at that angle?
    You mean to the back of the house?
    Tried that but only increased signal one bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

What sort of connection are you currently on? What sort of performance do you get with a wired connection to your router?

Wireless will never be as good as Ethernet, but if you have a poor speed to start, this wont help.

If running Ethernet is out, and Powerline is out, your only option is a wireless repeater, possibly even getting two and daisy chaining them (not all repeaters will do this)

(Although based on my experience with repeaters, I probably shouldn't be advising anyone): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056935126

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Picking up one of those powerline adaptors in Argos tomorrow, if it doesn't work I can just bring it back.

In other news, my router is now acting up....
    My PC and 2 laptops (Windows 7) are having trouble with the wireless signal but all the phones (3 Samsung smart phones + iPad) can pick it up and connect just fine.
    The signal acts as if it keeps dropping out for the windows machines, wifi visible only every couple of minutes and then it still won't connect.

I checked the card drivers for them and are all up to date, then reset the router from scratch - new security pass/different security levels/no firewall/ ext:

Advertisement