Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If not for us the archaeology would be lost anyway...

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

slowburner wrote: »
    The laws most certainly are not there to serve all citizens.
    No law is enacted to accommodate the offender. The law is enacted to punish the offender.

There is no 'half way house'. The state either protects the archaeology of this island or it does not.

Slowburner that is assuming straightaway that anyone with a metal detector is an offender. This is my point : not everyone with a MD is an offender.

The state can protect archaeology while allowing MD to be used in instances where no archeological matter is involved. That's what it does, and it's fitting.

If I wish to open up an attraction for youngsters in my garden, consisting of a giant sandbox where I would hide play metal treasures, and provide said youngsters with MDs to find them, I can legally do so, as far as I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jfk1977

In fairness this subject should be discussed in the legal section of this site as for obvious reasons opinions can be biased on this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

jfk1977 wrote: »
    Following this thread with interest as I currently work for a legal firm where this topic was recently discussed.

Our companies point of view at the time on this legislation is that if someone is using a MD away from a national monument and not searching for archaeology items they are not breaking the law and do not require a license. To presume they are and to try prosecute based on a presumption would be very unwise.
    No one questions this. There are two problem though. How does one know what is archaeological before its dug up and ruined? The second problem (and the legal one) is the disagreement on what is an archaeological object. Many mental detectorists search for coins. I have no problem with them searching for recent coins but what about a 300 year old coin or medieval coins. I know for a fact that Irish detectorists are digging up medieval coins. That is not acceptable.
    jfk1977 wrote: »
    In fairness this subject should be discussed in the legal section of this site as for obvious reasons opinions can be biased on this thread.
    Archaeologist have a far better grasp of the National monuments act then your average legal buff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

This thread has become circular and is no longer worthwhile.

The laws are clear and stickied at the top of the forum.
    In the event that amendments to the laws on metal detecting are made the thread may be reopened.

Let's all get back to archaeology and let's leave metal detecting out of the forum for the time being.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement