Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's the culprit? Vodafone, blacknight, eircom, me?

Options
  • 26-04-2013 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I recently changed from eircom to vodafone for my home broadband. I also recently reinstalled Windows 7. I use thunderbird for handling my mail accounts and since switching to vodafone, I can't send mail from my @eircom.net address due to a spamhaus listing, which I've tried to remove twice but hasn't fixed the issue. This is sending to different addresses so I don't think it's the recipients server that's the problem.

I can send mail fine from my other email accounts, which are all using the same outgoing server (blacknight). Also, if I connect to a different wireless network (even my phone hotspot) mail sends fine through my @eircom address.

When sending from another address, it always seems to take ages to send and sometimes returns an smpt (or was it something else) error from blacknight and I've to retry sending again. I think it's sending quicker from my hotspot again (not 100% on that).

Any ideas how I could resolve these issues since they seem to be out of my control?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'd change the smtp on your eircom account to the Vodafone smtp server (mail.vodafone.ie) and see if it sends.

I'm not sure if Eircom limit connections according to IP, it'd be weird if they did since you can send fine using your phone hotspot (what network is the phone with) but it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

I'd change the smtp on your eircom account to the Vodafone smtp server (mail.vodafone.ie) and see if it sends.

I'm not sure if Eircom limit connections according to IP, it'd be weird if they did since you can send fine using your phone hotspot (what network is the phone with) but it's worth a shot.

To op I have the very same problem. Vodafone are my isp but I retained my eircom.net email. Using outlook, it has worked for a few years but suddenly spamhaus blocks my outgoing mail, I tried to have my number removed from the list, checked all my mail settings ,but nothing works, if I go in to eircom webmail, the email address will send and recieve no problem

bedlam wrote: »
    Vodafone block outbound smtp (25/tcp) connections to anything but their own servers as far as I remember.

To get around this, make sure that your smtp server (blacknight) is configured to use port 587 or better yet 465 with SSL

Sorry to hijack this thread, but im x eircom now using vodafone, with outlook express the outgoing mail server is port 25, I tried port 587 but that made the situation worse, why would something that was working fine suddenly need to have the port settings changed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like we have a similar issue dharn so no worries.

So in Thunderbird, I've a few accounts set up as mentioned already, each of the other accounts is actually hosted on blacknight (so my @vantasks one etc, which is where the website itself is hosted).

In thunderbird account options, each account has its own set of options, but it seems to use the same outgoing server for each one and this can't be individually set for each account. I tried 465 with ssl and had been using 587 before that, but still the same issue, I also changed the server settings (it just says server, not incoming or outgoing) on the eircom account to mail.vodafone.ie and still no luck.

My mobile network is actually vodafone too, but this is connecting through 3g etc as opposed to fix line broadband.

In the outgoing server section you can add as many smtp servers as you want, then you can then click on the relevant account header (you@example.com) and then select which smtp server you want to use with each account.

Aha! I never knew this! Can't believe it, been using thunderbird for years and have had various server issues. Anyway, added the vf smtp, set it for the @eircom account and I think all is working ok now! Thanks a lot!

I had the @vantasks set to 465/ssl but it didn't seem to send, so I switched it back to 587 startll and it seems fine again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

cormie wrote: »
    I had the @vantasks set to 465/ssl but it didn't seem to send, so I switched it back to 587 startll and it seems fine again..
    According to this, Blacknight does not support 465. 465 is the old SMTPS method which was never properly standardized and is generally considered deprecated in favor of MSA on 567. IANA has even repurposed port 465 for a different service.

Thanks for the info :) Think it's all working well now and should be a lot easier to control in the future now I know a bit more about it.

The mail server needs to support the different port (587/tcp), blacknight do, eircom do not. To fix it for you, you should change your smtp server to vodafone's.
    Eircom do actually use 587, they just block connections if you are not on an Eircom IP.

You will want to change webmail.eircom.net or mail.eircom.net to mail.vodafone.ie and use port 25.

Yes they are my actual settings now, had tried the others but made it worse, so with all the correct setting , spamhaus is still blocking outgoing mail, when using outlook from my pc. But if I log in to eircom webmail I can send mail from the same account from the same pc

Hmm, just got a failed error from a mail I sent via eircom.
    The following message to <*******@hotmail.com> was undeliverable.
    The reason for the problem:
    *.*.* - Unknown address error ***-"SC-*** (COL0-MC3-F43) Unfortunately, messages from ***.***.***.** weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors."

That looks like it's a problem with Vodafone as opposed to anything else I guess?

Advertisement