Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

churches in athlone or surroundings for baptidm

Options
  • 26-04-2013 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hiya I'm looking to Baptiste my daughter but I'd like a small church with a place to take photos. The church doesn't have to be small. Please help thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

annettea wrote: »
    Hiya I'm looking to Baptiste my daughter but I'd like a small church with a place to take photos. The church doesn't have to be small. Please help thank you :)

Also a place to have the afters of the christening, there will be lots of kids there so somewhere that has a beer garden or something like that. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Where do you live ?

Can you provide your own Priest ?

I don't think you can just pick and choose the Church for the Photo Oppourtunities.

Normally it is done after mass on 1 sunday a month with other families , The only alternative is if you have your own Priest and then you just arrange access to the Church and the local Priest will record the Baptism in the registry.

galait wrote: »
    Where do you live ?

Can you provide your own Priest ?

I don't think you can just pick and choose the Church for the Photo Oppourtunities.

Normally it is done after mass on 1 sunday a month with other families , The only alternative is if you have your own Priest and then you just arrange access to the Church and the local Priest will record the Baptism in the registry.
    Hi, is there anywhere we can do it privately in or around athlone? We live in monksland,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Not sure if Serious

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Assuming you are serious then I think your local church for Monksland would be St Brigids in Drum. Afterwards the Hotel in Athlone Springs would probably be as handy.
    Remember, a Christening is a serious Catholic ceremony, not some lame excuse to get the family together to get wasted.
    Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. I wish you well into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi, is there anywhere we can do it privately in or around athlone? We live in monksland,

You make it sound like a medical procedure where if you can afford it or have insurance, you can choose to go 'private'. Are you trying to avoid the riff-raff or do you just want to make sure that yours is the only child being baptised on the day so you'll basically have the church to yourselves?

You can baptise your child at your kitchen sink with a jug of plain water if you really want privacy.

If you want it done by a Catholic priest in a Catholic church then you'll have to deal with your local parish church.

I only asked a question I didn't think people had all these smart answers. I've never been to a christening that was shared, nothing got to do with money or anything I've none ha. I just wanted a special day for my girl and to have it in a nice church as you would for a wedding... I don't have room in my house for the afters that's why I asked for a good place to have the afters and since there will be lots of kids I need somewhere that had a beer garden I cannot afford a hotel.
    Thank u for your insults, I'm only 21,didn't think there were people out there that could be so rude. I just needed help. I'm not from athlone,

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Q the lonesome violin.................:(

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

a beer garden is really no place for a load of children. cant think of any that would be suitable at all in the athlone area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Contact St Peters or Drum or Clonown (the last two are small Churches)

Also, beer gardens are no place for children.Tut tut tut

For Children Leisure Centre / Bowling Alley for the kids at the Gentex, I am sure that ye can stay off the booze for one day if kids are about. Tut tut.

If you have a garden, maybe just get a bouncy castle and have the meals etc at your home?

Athlone is not hugely child friendly when it comes to resturants etc (in my opinion)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I feel this person is only having this day just for a piss up for her and her friends.

I only asked a question I didn't think people had all these smart answers.

They are not "smart answers"

Any public house with a shred of care about their establishment and proper running of such an establishment will tell you swiftly that children should not be in the pub for too long, especially in the beer garden (beer gardens don't do food, so as per law, a pub might get into trouble legally).

I suppose the publican will be insulting you too if he takes issue with children on his premises?

cena wrote: »
    I feel this person is only having this day just for a piss up for her and her friends.

And a church, just like a wedding, as if the child will be conscience of it all

I never mentioned once alcohol, I don't even drink, was thinking of the bouncy castle but there is no sun also if people smoke I don't want it to be in my house. As I mentioned there will be lots of kids so I don't want to be cleaning for days after that's why I thought somewhere that did food and a place for the kids to run around would be appropriate. Also that was a recommendation about the beer garden by the parent that's why I asked..
    Thank you to the people that answered my question

And a church, just like a wedding, as if the child will be conscience of it all

U saying a christening isn't important?

Contact St Peters or Drum or Clonown (the last two are small Churches)

Also, beer gardens are no place for children.Tut tut tut

For Children Leisure Centre / Bowling Alley for the kids at the Gentex, I am sure that ye can stay off the booze for one day if kids are about. Tut tut.

If you have a garden, maybe just get a bouncy castle and have the meals etc at your home?

Athlone is not hugely child friendly when it comes to resturants etc (in my opinion)

Thank you so much, :) so you don't think anywhere in athlone is child friendly? Can't really do leisure centre some kids are too young but thank you, wish we had sun for the bouncy castle that was my 1st thought,.. but sure if there isn't a child friendly place the house will have to do.. thank you again really appreciate your comment

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

Hi Annettea

I would have to agree, I think people are being a bit unfair to you. As soon as you say beer garden people assume alcohol which says a lot more about them than you. I like you, rarely drink so when you said beer garden, I thought more of somewhere that did bar-b-ques for groups. There's a place out near Glasson that does that ill try to remember the name and post it for you. In fact I would have a look at a few places around Glasson. I disagree that places aren't child friendly in Athlone. I'm sure in this day and age, they'll welcome any groups.
    I also had all sorts of ideas about the actual church and christening but as someone mentioned, they only tend to do group ones on a specific Sunday per month so you might just have to go with the flow. And just for the unhelpful posters out there, christenings are as much about the family celebration as the entrance to the Catholic faith. Family and community are a very important part of it. Of course it should be celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

could you go to your parents house if they have a big garden

Tootle wrote: »
    Hi Annettea

I would have to agree, I think people are being a bit unfair to you. As soon as you say beer garden people assume alcohol which says a lot more about them than you. I like you, rarely drink so when you said beer garden, I thought more of somewhere that did bar-b-ques for groups. There's a place out near Glasson that does that ill try to remember the name and post it for you. In fact I would have a look at a few places around Glasson. I disagree that places aren't child friendly in Athlone. I'm sure in this day and age, they'll welcome any groups.
    I also had all sorts of ideas about the actual church and christening but as someone mentioned, they only tend to do group ones on a specific Sunday per month so you might just have to go with the flow. And just for the unhelpful posters out there, christenings are as much about the family celebration as the entrance to the Catholic faith. Family and community are a very important part of it. Of course it should be. celebrated.

Thank you, that sounds like exactly what I was looking for :) your comment. literally made my day..thank you again.. I never went to a christening that was shared before, I guess ill have to look into a bigger church if its shared OH has lots of brothers and sisters :) ha thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

I think it's The Fatted Calf in Glasson that do bbqs. They certainly have a big beer garden. Have a ring around a few places and see do they do bbqs. I can't understand how anyone would categorically say beer gardens don't do food. It would be a poor business model for a pub to have a large beer garden and not do food particularly in the summer. Best of luck with the planning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement