Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Old URLs for 301 redirects

Options
  • 26-04-2013 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I already have an idea on this but just want to check in to see how others do it.

I am looking to find the easiest / fastest way to set up 301 redirects for a new website. The new site is live but no 301s have been set up yet. So there will be old URLs on Google going to non-existent pages.

The web dev company are asking for a list of all the old URLs and all the new URLs, so that they can map them via 301s. My question is - how do we find all of the old and new URLs? I know you can do the site: operator on Google, but that is probably not very accurate since some of the pages may not appear there.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Wayback machine and/or error/access logs and/or previous backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

tricky D wrote: »
    Wayback machine and/or error/access logs and/or previous backups.

What about just doing it the site:example.com way? Seems like it might be less complex / more straightforward, and should bring up all the indexed links anyway? The site has only just gone live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

site: is one option, I just wouldn't rely on a single option, perhaps bar a full backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

tricky D wrote: »
    site: is one option, I just wouldn't rely on a single option, perhaps bar a full backup.

I guess the web agency should have a backup, the thing is though, they want us to supply the URLs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Seems a bit strange: If the URL structure is uniform then you might be able to a conditional redirect in your .htaccess file (if you have one).

You can use your analytics (or server logs) to see what URL was referred so the site returned a 404 page.

The difficulty is not that you have no record of the old url's. Id simply correct them as the error occurs. ie if you get a signal that a page was redirected to a 404 - find what that page (referrer or keyword) was and 303 it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

No wait - the mist is clearing - I have it:

a) using chrome install the extension 'check my links'
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/check-my-links/ojkcdipcgfaekbeaelaapakgnjflfglf

b) go into google and do a site search site:mysite.ie
    c) go into site settings (over a the cog - right hand side)
    d) make results per page, say, 50, just for convenience
    e) search again and then hit the check my links when the results appear.

These are all the pages that google has listed for you new and old, good and bad.
    The extension will check all those links on the page and defacto check links it has on file for you that are good and bad - they will appear in red after the extension is run.

(some false positives can occur)

Simples :D

Advertisement