Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Harness'

• 26-04-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey Guys,

Is there anywhere in Ireland, preferably leinster region that stocks Julius K9 Harness' or similar, i need two for large alaskan malamutes..

idc_fekete_03.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Give your local Maxi Zoo a ring, I remember seeing them in the Waterford store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maxi zoo sell the normal ones not the IDC one. K9-USA.com have fast fed-ex shipping and the size guidelines are spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Can I ask why you want the Julius ones? Just that I see everybody using them now, and I prefer the long distance, shoulder harnesses from Manmat for my northern breeds. I've not used a Julius one, but remember them coming into Ireland a few years ago, as a police tracking harness, so not sure why all of a sudden everyone is using them on all dogs. So just wondered if there was a reason why you wanted these specific ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have a julius K9 IDC harness for my JRT for agility, it was given to him as a present and I find it great for helping jizz him up, mainly because he immediately wants to pull. I got a Doxlock harness (very similar design but cheaper price) for my GSD x, again for agility, because if the lead catches in her long hair going up to the start line she will squeal and act like I've murdered her :eek: So the handle on the back of the harness is great for positioning her and then slipping off the harness.

Both dogs are far more inclined to pull with the harness on, and are far less controllable in them, with the exception of being able to whip the JRT off the ground if something kicks off!

So I wouldn't recommend them for just walking. If there's something where you want your dog to be working forward ahead of you then they could be a great job. And lets face it, the velcro signs on the side are great to accessorise :D

So I wouldn't recommend them for just walking. If there's something where you want your dog to be working forward ahead of you then they could be a great job. And lets face it, the velcro signs on the side are great to accessorise :D

is now the time to mention that I know a company in the UK that can do customised side panels to go on the velcro? ;)

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    is now the time to mention that I know a company in the UK that can do customised side panels to go on the velcro? ;)

Ooooohhhh the possibilities!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Now is a good time tell me :D One company I used too ages to make them.

The reason I use this harness on small dogs is because my child has special needs and the ring at the top of the harness means that I spend less time untangling little paws then if I used a collar.

I've not used them on the large dogs 45kg plus though

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GrumpyJocks

Got mine from Zooplus for my GSD. Nothing but praise for both the harness and the website I got it from. Hope that helps

Knine wrote: »
    The reason I use this harness on small dogs is because my child has special needs and the ring at the top of the harness means that I spend less time untangling little paws then if I used a collar.

I have a CosyDog harness on my mini jrt for the same basic reason, my 3 year old loves to walk her and the lead clipped to the harness means that when she runs there's no collar jerks or like Knine, no tangled paws

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DannKav

Got mine from Zooplus for my GSD. Nothing but praise for both the harness and the website I got it from. Hope that helps

What one did u get? I just seen the reviews of the Julius one! If anyone can recommend similar ones it be great!! They need to be good my two malamutes are very strong and the youngest is still growing!!

• Advertisement

DannKav wrote: »
    What one did u get? I just seen the reviews of the Julius one! If anyone can recommend similar ones it be great!! They need to be good my two malamutes are very strong and the youngest is still growing!!

Julius and Trixie on zooplus are the same ;). The ones in Maxizoo have a tag with something like 'Trixie for Julius K9'. The K9-USA.com site does the custom patches too. I find it great for when my dog is off lead and might need help getting out of the river/lake but I prefer a different harness for walking - a water repelling xtradog/adanac sleds one with front and back attachments..

Manmat products are specifically made for working sled dogs, so have to be strong. This is a woman in Scotland who supplies them, they are made in the Czech republic, and you can buy them direct from source, but I think the postage etc tends to really push the price up. This link is to the photo album of all products, if you look for the Long Distance Harnesses, thats what you would use for walking.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.493695887358605.1073741825.250536245007905&type=1

There are other suppliers in the UK that will post to Ireland, I don't think there is anyone in Ireland now selling manmat products unfortunately, the one person that did is no longer trading.

There's also Howling Dog Alaska, and the link that I put up above, to Husky Mum also sells their products. HD used to work with Manmat, but they had a falling out, so they now make and sell their own stuff, and Kelly at Husky Mum is a UK stockist. I have got a long distance harness from the time HD and Manmat worked together, but haven't seen or tried any of their products since they went solo. However, the owner of HD designed the long distance harness in conjunction with Jeff King, an Alaskan musher of many years experience, and winner of the Iditarod, so I imagine their stuff is just as strong as the Manmat ones.

There are also people in the UK that have had sled dogs for many years that make their own harnesses, lines etc, such as SASS, Trailbaby and Culpeppers, if you want to go onto FB and join a group called Mushers Exchange, people can point you in the direction of lots of excellent equipment suppliers.

Hope that helps.

Ooooohhhh the possibilities!!!! :)
    Knine wrote: »
    Now is a good time tell me :D One company I used too ages to make them.

I've not used them on the large dogs 45kg plus though

Here you go

http://www.8below.co.uk/#!julius-k-9/cj20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Can I ask why you want the Julius ones? Just that I see everybody using them now

Are they more popular because they are reduced big time online? Amazon and Zooplus have them on sale.

paultf wrote: »
    Is it because they are reduced big time online? Amazon and Zooplus have them on sale.

I was given one as a present for my dog who walks quite well on lead...then 5 other dogs our park got them - they all assumed it was a magical harness that would stop the dog pulling lol and they all got/get dragged around. My dog is a bit shy so I got 'Bailey' labels for the harness and it helped with him getting more comfortable with strangers because they knew his name. Funny though because when people saw him with his name on the side and his friend still with the Julius label they all thought he must be called Julius lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

The first I heard of them was on boards. Saw them on sale and bought some for my dogs. Wasn't sure if I made the right decison.

Before I used a regular step-in harness.

Its amazing the difference with the Julius-K9. I won't be going back.

Advertisement