Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options
  • 26-04-2013 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am 31 years old and I have been running since August 2012. My first 10k run was for charity at the Start of Oct 2012. I went out really fast and suffered the whole time. I did manage to sprint the last 800m, I somehow always find that extra bit. I felt like dying, something inside me really enjoyed that part. I was pleased with the 50 minutes result considering I was recovering from a serious health issue. I went on to do the Aware 10K at Christmas and did a 47 minutes run more comfortably. I was in the process of joining a club at this time and had run once with them and was glad to bump into members on the day of the Aware 10k. Something inside me was telling me I could run faster I needed to continue to beat my time and run longer distances. I felt the more tough the race the more I enjoyed it and I discover that at Mount Juliet that I like running hills. I signed up for the following;

2013 completed
    Feb - Kilkenny (Half Marathon) - 1:49:xx
    March - Wicklow (Half Marathon) - 1:38:xx
    April - Wexford (Half Marathon) 1:37:xx

Next races

May - 5 miler Terenure
    June - Dublin (Keith Duffy 5k Charity)
    July - Dublin (Half Marathon)
    National Half????
    August - Dublin (10 mile)
    September - Dublin (Half Marathon)
    October - Kildare (10k charity)
    October - Dublin City Marathon 26.2 miles (Log term goal 3 hr)

Last time I checked I was comfortably running a 38m 5 mile and a 21m 5K during training. Here is a recent training week;

Mon - 4 mile Easy 37:xx min plus one hour gym (program to strengthen legs and core etc with some upper work) followed by foam roller session at home
    Tues - Intervals at the club 10 x 200 30ish sec
    Wed - Rest day
    Thurs - Intervals at the clubs 2,4,6,8,6,4,2 running fast :)
    Fri - Gym followed by foam roller session at home
    Sat - LSR 18 mile 2:38:xx
    Sun - Rest day (Sauna, Jacuzzi foam roller)

I have been trying out different runners including barefoot and have had a couple of gate tests. I am a natural runner with good posture so I am told but feel I have a lot of work to get to where I want to be. I like to race against myself and to push and push until I can't go anymore and then push and push on again. I think by running and running the best I can will bring hope to people that may be fighting illness. I have a personal interest in Autism as my son is living with this and is how I started running to begin with as stated above! My dream goal is the win Dublin City Marathon but failing that once I run my best and draw attention to the healing power of running and the life changes it can bring then I will have succeeded! I hope to update this weekly. Any advice will be welcomed! Enjoy your life and live by running!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Best of luck, great improvements there and some good runs ahead! The dcm13 thread should be of benefit to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck with the log and the training.

Are you planning on doing this years dcm in 3 hours??

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Thank you, the times could be better if I stopped going out so fast. I am training for the 3 hours. But sure it is a long way off!

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Thank you, the times could be better if I stopped going out so fast. I am training for the 3 hours. But sure it is a long way off!

What programme are you following?

Gavlor wrote: »
    What programme are you following?

I had been following ones from Marathon rookie. I looked at the HH ones and also the DCM ones. Sometimes the LSR might be 12 miles and ill do 18. I like to run what ever way I feel, if I can run fast easy ill run fast and if I can go extra miles I'll do them. I had a target recently to get up and over a 30 mile week. So I am now trying to push that up. Maybe not this week as I just done Wexford last Sunday. I will post up this weeks log when I do the LSR tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck with the log. Something tells me Gavlor will be your best friend......

Well what a week that was between stress at work and sickness trying to take the front line after it weakened from the Wexford half last Sunday. I had felt tired the week coming up to the Wexford half with a very taxing hardware failure on a server which I look after. The half was going fine until we started to twist and turn around Johnstown castle (I hope that's the name). I was turning 180 around a cone when my left knee started. From that point on I struggled a few miles even walking for a moment at one stage. It was one of those moments when I thought it was over. I some how adjusted form which helped but slowed me a lot. I went into the lets just finish mode. The last mile I picked up a little and sprinted the last little bit. I must check the pace on garmin for that bit ;). I felt grand though brushing my ego away and excepting my new PB of one minute. Below is my log for this week following the half;

Sun Wexford half 13.1 miles 1:37:39 @7:27 avg
    Mon Rest
    Tues 5.24@8:55 i
    Wed Rest
    Thurs 5.31@8:04 ncluding some speedy hill reps
    Friday 1 hour gym workout followe by 45 minutes roller
    Saturday 15@8:51 (LSR)

NB: I walk a few miles Mon-Friday. Warm up and stretch a lot including foaming rolling as much as I feel I need. I try to get to the suana and steam room on rest days. I have foot massage a lot these days.

I was feeling good and strong this week apart from fighting off the sickness that is floating around taking a few off their feet. I went out Saturday with a group who like staying between 8:30-10 MPM and today they seemed to like the upper end which I felt I needed. That was until both my left knee and ankle started. The ankle issue has been going on a few weeks now and the knee I have blamed bad turning of cones in the Wexford half that is if I am to be nice about it ;p. I left the group at mile 8 and pickup to about 7ish which seemed to help. Then my mind said hold on at this stage I clocked one 7:20 before deciding to slow up which let me notice my ankle again. I adjusted until it was ok. I was scanning thinking this is **** I'm not liking the effort I'm using for this pace, I felt I was going 6 MPM but my watch said 8:30. Ok grand this must be because I need a rest. No problem tomorrow is Sunday and ill run an easy 5 on Monday and take stock then. Anyway in a nut shell I finished this week feeling battered but managed a carnival trip with the kids and eat some junk food as a treat. Hope all your running is easy and I ask you to pray for my niggly ankle and knee! Till next week.

So at the carnival with the family yesterday my son asked me to get on the bumper cars. My lanky legs got a hammering and my shin was more sore then my ankle this morning. Last night I strapped my ankle up and elevated while watching the weekly family movie. Oh felt a bit down so after my healthy green juice and fresh turmeric I decided it was time for a treat. Two large pizzas and a taco fries later I was happy again. I'm an organic plant muncher for the most part.

So Sunday is my day of rest. I got up to walk the dog 3.4km my ankle complained a little but soon it disappeared to just a niggle now and then. :) Next a quick stop at the barbers with the boys and then off to the pool. 50 minutes moving between Suana, steam room and jacuzzi. The jets in the jacuzzi hitting my tender spots from running. The next phase was 50 minutes of foam rolling and stretching. I really want my body to try for this 3hr marathon what with everyone saying it is a big ask. This makes me want it all the more. I might stick 5 minutes onto my goal for the Terrenure 5 mile in May to make it 35 so not much pressure then. I am taking an extended rest day tomorrow something that will bother me but need to get rid of this niggle. Back running on Tuesday so bye for now.

So I went to a physio about my niggle around my ankle. He said it was a tight Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendinopathy and did some work and wants me back next week. He said take it easy so I agreed to take one rest day. I set out with 7ish in mind. Wore my new saucony kinvara 3. Felt really good tonight so the day off helped. Near the end the niggle surfaced so I took it handy.

Session tonight Tuesday 30/04/13

1 x mile W/U @ 7.22 MPM
    3 x mile repeats (6:27,6:06,6:14 MPM)
    Recovery 2-3 minutes slow
    1 x mile W/D @ 7:50 MPM

AHR/MHR 160/186

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Good man Aaron your flying at the moment, going to be hard to keep up with you ;)

• Advertisement

antomagoo wrote: »
    Good man Aaron your flying at the moment, going to be hard to keep up with you ;)

Thanks Anto, it's all the advice I get at the club. Don't be letting "your mind" not keep up with me. Train your mind to run and your body will follow is my new moto. I remember I was struggling to keep up with you around the lakes a few months back!

Thanks Anto, it's all the advice I get at the club. Don't be letting "your mind" not keep up with me. Train your mind to run and your body will follow is my new moto. I remember I was struggling to keep up with you around the lakes a few months back!

Its not the mind, its the little brat of a child who wont go to bed at night :D

Its not the mind, its the little brat of a child who wont go to bed at night :D

Get one of them racing prams bring the child along ;p

01/05

Rest day. Lots of work on knee and feet. one hour foam roller on the legs.

02/05

Easy 5 miles @ 8:11 MPM. Still a little niggle in the foot but working it out.

Get one of them racing prams bring the child along ;p

tried that, back was in bits for a week :rolleyes:
    Easy 5 miles @ 8:11 MPM. Still a little niggle in the foot but working it out

Thats too quick for your easy pace :p

tried that, back was in bits for a week :rolleyes:

Thats too quick for your easy pace :p

We'll take turns next time ;)

Is easy not 8?? Ah sure my learner sign is up, I better not get penalty points!

03/05

Took off Gym training due to resting ankle. Did some foam roller on calves and IT band. Iced and used diclac cream.

03/05

Was planning on not running due to niggle in ankle that has me worrying about it getting worse. Normally up at 6 get out of bed at 9 and went out running.

8 miles @ AVG 9:11 MPM 140 AVG HR

Took in a new trail for a change away from road last bit was hilly road though. No problem at all until near the end but would say 90% improvement and the slow/less miles helped greatly. Happy I went out. Iced and used diclac cream. Off to suana and jacuzzi.

06/05

6 miles @ AVG 7:11 MPM HR 160 enjoyable run (I think my HRM is wrong BTW)

I went out with an easy run in mind as the weekend run didn't warrant a recovery run. The sun was really hot so I wanted to get out before it went in. There was about 150 feet elevation gain/loss and was a single loop. The run was lovely and I felt great. First time in months a had music and the Wicklow hills making the run even more magical in the sun. Only issue was a headwind for 3 miles. The niggle was mild for some seems it I lift my knees higher and go mid foot it goes.

07/05

6 miles @ 6:55 MPM AVG HR 165

Completed the same run today with an extra push. Felt good and lashed the last mile.

Wed 08/05

Went to follow up with physio he gave my foot the all clear and said it was fully healed. Must be the wheatgrass! Got some dry needling on a tight muscle behind shin on same leg. He said the recurring issues are due to weakness in around hip area. Gave me work to do.

Thursday 09/05

8 miles @ 8:15 MPM 152 AVG HR

Seemed the heart rate was on the high side for the pace. I had agreed with my body to take it easy after the two previous runs. I don't think I had a choice anyway as I was struggling to keep the HR down. Form was good other than a tightness on the right side of butt/glute. Other than the weather it was a good run.

• Advertisement

Fri 10/05

30min foam roller
    15min warmup and stretch
    1 hour gym work for strength and flixability. I targeted multiple sets on the hips and clutes doing 25% extra on my weak hip identified by physio.
    15 minutes w/d and stretch.
    20 minutes suana and jacuzzi

Still a little stiff around Clure and hip on the good side. Will do some work later when using the tennis ball on my feet pretending to be watching tv.

Fri 10/05

30min foam roller
    15min warmup and stretch
    1 hour gym work for strength and flixability. I targeted multiple sets on the hips and clutes doing 25% extra on my weak hip identified by physio.
    15 minutes w/d and stretch.
    20 minutes suana and jacuzzi

Still a little stiff around Clure and hip on the good side. Will do some work later when using the tennis ball on my feet pretending to be watching tv.

These are the kind of sessions I will be getting into the habit of doing from next week.... Snoozfest, I hate that kind of stuff :(

These are the kind of sessions I will be getting into the habit of doing from next week.... Snoozfest, I hate that kind of stuff :(

Some of the best results comes from the boring stuff. The roller is the worst I actually was nearly snoozing but my friend pain kept me awake! Just keep thinking of your goal!

Some of the best results comes from the boring stuff. The roller is the worst I actually was nearly snoozing but my friend pain kept me awake! Just keep thinking of your goal!

The roller is grand, but the stretches etc wreck my head!

10000 stretches for 100 seconds is my new motto!

The roller is grand, but the stretches etc wreck my head!

10000 stretches for 100 seconds is my new motto!

10000 stretches???

Krusty put up core work that was nearly my current workout apart from one or two and the addition of a few machine and flexibility sets. My training runs used to be 9-10 MPM I now do 6-8 MPM because of core work. When I skip stretching I pay the price.

10000 stretches???

Krusty put up core work that was nearly my current workout apart from one or two and the addition of a few machine and flexibility sets. My training runs used to be 9-10 MPM I now do 6-8 MPM because of core work. When I skip stretching I pay the price.

10000 Between now and October!!

Yeah there were some good links put up on my log, I think core work is going to be the corner stone of my next Makey up plan.

10000 Between now and October!!

Yeah there were some good links put up on my log, I think core work is going to be the corner stone of my next Makey up plan.

Oh yeah!

I always makey up my own! ;) go for 2:38 next time! No ifs or buts!

Oh yeah!

I always makey up my own! ;) go for 2:38 next time! No ifs or buts!

Thank god im only 2 beers in or I would have agreed!

Thank god im only 2 beers in or I would have agreed!

Great drink 2 more and then agree. Watch this from 5:36 or so...

http://www.elitetrack.com/blogs/details/6038/

• Advertisement

10 miles @ 8:37 MPM 150 HR AVG

I slept in this morning as I activated the weekday alarm last night. Rolled out of bed at 8 and decided to go out on empty including no wheatgrass or beet juice. What training is this called "fat burning"??? I was grand up to mile 3-4 when the wind came on strong it was an out and back with some mild elevation. I was hammered on the way back by strong head wind and it lashed. I smiled and just excepted it. My knees don't like these slow miles or it could be some IT band stuff. Anyway 30 mile week complete with no complaints.

Will be reducing mileage for Terrenure next week! I could take the easy 35 min route or work for something better. Will see on the day. Watched my son at football today and have to say he is a little warrior!

Evening update

10 minutes suana using sick on what I think is my soleus.
    Cold shower.
    10 minutes jacuzzi.
    10 minutes suana using sick on what I think is my soleus
    Cold shower
    10 minutes jacuzzi

Big up to my support crew Michelle (wife) whom i'll buy a mobile home of her dreams once I win DCM in 2016.

Advertisement