Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

All I will say about DCM 2013 is I trained hard a bit too hard which I will try learn from. I was having trouble weeks before and could not shake the injury which I put down to over use.

Will do a full update soon for the previous two weeks. At the moment I am running 5 miles twice a day except Saturday where I run 10 miles on cross country. I have been trying to run off road as much as possible but that is hard. I am doing 20-30 minutes exercises every other day to help my injury recover. I was able to hit a couple of 6:40's on the track last night! Yesterday was the first day I was able to run the full 5 miles without any pain/discomfort. Rapid recovery once again. Plan is to build a base of 60-70 miles a week while doing some speed and speed endurance during the winter. I will being doing some cross country and track and will decide after that if I will do the marathon DCM 2014......

Plans

Sub 36 min 10k
    Sub 17 min 5k
    Sub 54 sec 400
    Sub ?? sec 800
    Sub 5 min 1 mile

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    At the moment I am running 5 miles twice a day except Saturday where I run 10 miles on cross country.Yesterday was the first day I was able to run the full 5 miles without any pain/discomfort.

Is this wise?
    Not just running through pain, but running 65 miles a week through pain?

I'm running pain free now! Maybe I should of left out the pain part as it was more discomfort/stiffness. But all good now.....

Quick update.

I'm running between 50-60 mile weeks including an interval session e.g. 8-10 x 400s @ 75-80 seconds, LT Session and a log run of 10 miles. Most days I run 5 miles in the morning and another 5 in the evening except on Saturdays I run the 10. I am doing 1 gym session early in the week including use of TRX, kettle bells and some light weight bar work.

I have ran both 5k and 10k races missing PB by about 2 and 20 seconds. Both times the races were ran at a much less effort then when I initially hit the PBs.

I may start updating the log again but I feel it can be distracting at times. For now I am loving running and enjoying reading some of the logs and the good training going down!

I'm now running two weeks "on" 70 miles with some LT and speed endurance type stuff and one week "off" 50 miles all easy. I am aiming to race 5-10k and the end of each easy week. I guess I am just about in sub 17 shape......

I am considering a detailed log again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

At least post your race results :)

Most recent was The Great Heat 10k (38:46).

I ran two 5ks hitting my PB with a much lesser effort. This means I'm in better shape but am not going full out in every race anymore. The last one being Marlay park run which I took a wrong turn loosing about 50 seconds. I did that in 18:49 which was a one second PB. I would have went under 18 easily had I not took the wrong turn. I'm hoping to break 17 next with a full on 5k effort.

Mon 17/02/14

A.M

5 miles easy progression

Up and out at 5:30am and onto the track for 20 laps. Started easy and ended at low LT zone. Lot of focus on relaxing and floating around. Had 5k race Sat and hilly 10 miler Sun legs good shape.

P.M

5 miles recovery (Active stretch pre and post)

Pacing the boss at lunch which is my recovery run. He is getting faster so might have to introduce more days and configure our recovery days together. I now coach a few people funny that.

Gym session core and functional strength

Ok so going to keep track of my training here. Few notes on what has changed in my training.

Always run relaxed
    Running is simple keep it that way
    The watch is for distance and feel is for effort
    I'm in this (running) for life and will follow the system that works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good to see this log active again, really enjoyed it last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Most recent was The Great Heat 10k (38:46).

I ran two 5ks hitting my PB with a much lesser effort. This means I'm in better shape but am not going full out in every race anymore. The last one being Marlay park run which I took a wrong turn loosing about 50 seconds. I did that in 18:49 which was a one second PB. I would have went under 18 easily had I not took the wrong turn. I'm hoping to break 17 next with a full on 5k effort.

You do realise how massive the difference is between "sub 17 5k shape" and a 38:46 10k? Sorry wolf but you're only as good as your last race. I'd love to be in "sub 15:30" shape but alas, I'm not.

Do the work and the results will come but the more you "think" you are in whatever shape rather than dealing with where you are at realistically, the longer things will take to come down and the greater chance of being hurt- did you learn anything from DCM?

Sorry to be a pain about this but the whole "I would have run xx time but I wasn't going all out" trend in the logs is pretty ridiculous. Congrats on moving your times down though.

And with that rant I'll stop posting in your log…good luck Wolf!

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    You do realise how massive the difference is between "sub 17 5k shape" and a 38:46 10k? Sorry wolf but you're only as good as your last race. I'd love to be in "sub 15:30" shape but alas, I'm not.

Do the work and the results will come but the more you "think" you are in whatever shape rather than dealing with where you are at realistically, the longer things will take to come down and the greater chance of being hurt- did you learn anything from DCM?

Sorry to be a pain about this but the whole "I would have run xx time but I wasn't going all out" trend in the logs is pretty ridiculous. Congrats on moving your times down though.

And with that rant I'll stop posting in your log…good luck Wolf!

I respect your post but hope you're wrong.

No need to stop posting though you're still within the constructive zone! I need some doubt too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Quirky-ranty one makes a good point. The only way you will know if you are in sub-17 shape is to go out and run it. For comparison purposes, I think I started to break 17 minutes when I was running around 35:xx for 10k. Now we're all built differently, and perhaps your tempo session on the track make you uniquely stronger at 5k distances than 10k, but speculating on where you are right now without reinforcement/indicators just makes it more difficult on yourself if you don't manage to hit those numbers. Have another crack in a Parkrun (without taking the wrong turn) and get a more realistic view of what kind of shape you are in, before you target a goal race. The MSB 5k on the 16th March would be a good race to test yourself properly, but there's little point in going out at sub 17 pace, if you're realistically in sub 18 shape (unless you're prepared to face the consequences!).

The Quirky-ranty one makes a good point. The only way you will know if you are in sub-17 shape is to go out and run it. For comparison purposes, I think I started to break 17 minutes when I was running around 35:xx for 10k. Now we're all built differently, and perhaps your tempo session on the track make you uniquely stronger at 5k distances than 10k, but speculating on where you are right now without reinforcement/indicators just makes it more difficult on yourself if you don't manage to hit those numbers. Have another crack in a Parkrun (without taking the wrong turn) and get a more realistic view of what kind of shape you are in, before you target a goal race. The MSB 5k on the 16th March would be a good race to test yourself properly, but there's little point in going out at sub 17 pace, if you're realistically in sub 18 shape (unless you're prepared to face the consequences!).

Cheers bud. The MSB 5k is the short term target maybe a goal of 17:49 would be better. I might build in 4x1 mile Thursday see how I fair with the 5:30 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good to see you back

Tues 18/02/14

A.M. 5 miles easy

Left for the track around the back of my house at 5:30am to be met by the dam impassible pond. I like to try run on the track as much as possible as I find my legs like it. Why other would I run around a 400 meter track 20 times in the dark. I hit the road and kept the pace about mid range of my easy zone after the gym last night, the first run helps take the session from the night before. I done some active stretches and yoga poses after this run. I'm planning a session for tonight. :)

P.M. 6 miles session

14 x 400 w/ 45 jog recoveries /w 90 sec static rest after 4th and 8th rep

Time/Pace
    77/5:18
    80/5:22
    80/5:23
    81/5:27
    81/5:26
    78/5:15
    79/5:18
    79/5:19
    80/5:25
    79/5:19

A bit of a rocky start but settled into the feel. I just thought fast 5k, run relaxed. I felt very strong tonight could have done 20. Will try miles on Thursday. Four weeks out to race day. I feel very good right now. Day time naps rule the upside to the long commute. Partly run and partly sleep the bus route! ;)

Wed 19/02/14

A.M. 5 miles recovery

I had the moon poking through the clouds this morning lighting up the track. Felt good considering session last night, legs a little tired so kept it in recovery zone. Sleep not great right now although I had nap yesterday the late training session at 7pm yesterday had an effect. Plan is to run second recovery run at lunch and have 24hr rest period. I find this helps with recovery to prepare for the mile intervals on Thursday.

P.M 5 miles recovery at lunch time

Onto the canal for a shuffle which felt like a fast walk at times. Feeling a little tired so the next 24 hours will be used to recharge. No running until lunch tomorrow. Off home now to put the feet up and work remotely installing software on client pc's. Perfect timing and the down time will bring on a 9 hour sleep.

Have been eating well and also taking 4 shots of wheatgrass daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Wolfie, chuck in another few of those flying 400's* and you'll trot around to a sub 17. I was going to go back and check that actually. You did say sub 17, yeah?

Wow. Good luck.

* The 55 sec ones not the 79 second ones!

Thurs 20/02/14

A.M.

Moved to lunch to extend rest. Track session later for fast miles!

P.M.

5 miles easy progression

Lunch time run at work. I ran the first 2 1/2 into strong head wind at the end of which the tired feeling left me and the flighty fight came back. Looking back at the splits after the run the first 4 miles I ran negative splits the 4th mile being the biggest. The final mile I eased of slightly. My thinking with this run was to not run to slow and not to fast. I felt really good during the second half at the turn around and out of the head wind. Tonight's session is an important indicator to see if I'm on track for my short term
    5k target.

Track 5k workout

6 mile w/ 3 x 1 mile 2 min recoveries

1 mile warm up @ 6:52 MPM
    1 mile @ 5:24 MPM
    1 mile @ 5:22 MPM
    1 mile @ 5:18 MPM
    1 mile cool down @ 9 MPM

Tommy came out to coach me on this one. We went the track early while no one was there. He decided only to let me do 3 reps instead of 4. The last one was tough but I dug in deep. I was floating around on the first 2. I walked the recoveries. I guess it can only get easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Nice reps there Wolfie, is that what you were aiming for?

Itziger wrote: »
    Nice reps there Wolfie, is that what you were aiming for?

Yes, I set the pace during the Tuesday session. I now need to be able to bring it into the 5k and 10k over the next 1-2 months. MSB 5k and Spar Great Ireland run are the two short term targets. If I fail I will try again. Next week is now the important indicator as I should be able to do it again. I'm really happy just had to adjust work as the extra work require more rest. I have an IT job so am able to work from home some days.

• Advertisement

Fri 21/02/14

5 miles easy

Ran at lunch time on the way home. Took a half day as I needed some down time with the sniffles. The entire office is sick and I wanted to avoid getting worse. Strangely my legs are in great shape and I felt reasonably ok but a headwind, the terrain and rain put a dampener on it. I didn't allow effort to move out of easy. A lovely pretty young women pulled in to pick me up at mile 3 but I had 2 more to get in. She waited up the road thankfully. No more running today.

Sat 22/02/14

A.M.

7 miles Easy with Tommy

I ran this at the faster end of the easy zone. It was quite a steady run and the banter was 90. We ran out towards the lakes and at times it was getting tough so I just relaxed. 9 1/2 hours sleep last night, the sniffles and the early hour was making it a little bit harder. Was planning to run 17 miles tomorrow but maybe I will break it up now as to recover for next weeks sessions.

P.M.

7 miles easy

I ran this one alone and now feeling much better the sniffles are gone. I thought it would be better to bring miles forward then to run 17 in the rain tomorrow. Focus of this run was on floating and running very relaxed. Was trying to minimise the bouncing and keep moving horizontally. Was getting tough at times due to head wind and the hills the joys of living in the countryside. I just eased off. Very happy with this weeks running, will be looking to run the slower end of easy and into the recovery zone now until Tuesdays session.

Sun 23/02/14

Afternoon

14 miles slow run (pacing duties for marathoner in training)

One of the women in the club is running in the Belfast Marathon and I was helping out pacing some of her 17 mile run. I hit all the miles bang on 9 mins having only needed to check twice. Was a good way to get some recovery miles into the legs. The weather was horrible and I tried to shield her from the tough head winds as they hit us. I ran a lot of my long runs on my own so I was glad to help out a club mate.

75 mile week
    Weight 75.2 kg Height 6.3"
    RHR 38
    AIS, Phil Wharton videos and yoga poses for maintenance. Back wearing vibram five finger walking and stretching feet.
    Feeling really good after that week.
    Short term Targets MSB 5k and Great Ireland Run.

Mon 24/02/14

A.M.

5 miles recovery

Decided against the 5:30am run and got on the bus in my running gear. I got off 5 miles from work and slowly jogged the rest of the way. Felt really good today nothing out of the ordinary. Two more weeks of hard training before I take a recovery week leading to my 5K short-term target. The focus for the next two weeks are on the speed sessions for Tuesday and Thursday.

P.M.

5 miles recovery

Ran this one during lunch on the canal. Around 8:30 pace for both runs today. Hopefully weather doesn't get in my way for tomorrow's session.

Felt tired on the way home from work and thought it best to give the gym a miss. That and the Sky TV on the blink and not recording. Mrs Wolf is not to be messed with. Was dark when I got home but found the break in the cable as I cut it last year when doing the Garden. The wind must of caused it to break, the installer guy ran the cable round the bush. Strange one I thought and I blame him obviously. It was one half of the cable meaning it wouldn't record programs. I Spent the extra hour with the kids so all good. I train well when all is well at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sun 23/02/14

75 mile week
    Weight 75.2 kg Height 6.3"
    RHR 38

Good week, decent mile reps.

Just wondering, but were you expecting your height to change or something? ;)

Good week, decent mile reps.

Just wondering, but were you expecting your height to change or something? ;)

Man, I was going to say, but thought it might be a bit snarky like. Thanks Quirky :)

It does change right? Ah I keep the details in my own log as I use it for BMI. I just copy and past it out to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

cianc wrote: »
    Man, I was going to say, but thought it might be a bit snarky like. Thanks Quirky :)

I love it that cianc assumed a snarky comment must have been from quirky :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    I love it that cianc assumed a snarky comment must have been from quirky :pac:

Wow, totally missed that. Take it for the compliment it is DrQ :D

• Advertisement

Tues 25/02/14

A.M.

5 miles/42 min on treadmill

Got up and decided to jump on thread mil before work. The effort was easy but the time it took was the same as a recovery run. Anyway still didn't feel well and went back to bed. Something hit me last night and I needed to shake it. The session later may get postponed.

P.M.

Couldn't even do any work until the afternoon. At around 3 onwards I started to come round. Right up until 6pm I thought the session was off. But then the below happened.

8 miles /w 4 x (4 x 400 off 45 jog rec) 90 static rec

Reps

82/5:27
    79/5:21
    81/5:28

80/5:24

79/5:20

77/5:12

Felt very strong and couldn't hear my steps at times. I'll have to change it up next Tuesday because I was easily cruising up until the last two. You can see the last one I just wanted to start cooling down. Hopefully the miles on Thursday are easier also which will indicate the improvement I'm after!

Advertisement