Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Wend 26/02/14

A.M.

5 miles slowest end of easy

Out and at it at 5:30am on the track for 20 laps of recovery. A tad bit on the tired side so staying on the safe pace. The focus is on the sessions. Save it for the sessions. Feeling a few spots that need attention. Will get my support personnel on it this evening.

P.M.

5 miles slower than recovery pace

So slow I'm writing it off as a favor for the boss. Can I even count 9:45 pace as mileage? Only joking, I can only benefit right. A nice stroll up the canal with the boss who wasn't finding the jog as easy as me. It's a good deed it's a good deed! Steak and broccoli for dinner and then Michelle will help get the recovery started with a massage once the kids are in bed. How lucky hay! 24hrs with no running, lunch to lunch resting!

Working from home tomorrow the plan is 5 easy at lunch then hit the miles at 5k pace in the evening.

Thurs 27/02/14

P.M.

6 miles easy on track with Tommy

Ran at lunch on the track as was working from home. Lovely day for it.

Later in P.M.

6 miles /w 5 x 800 off 2 min jog/walk rec at 3k pace

Stazza has help with adjusting the final workouts before MSB 5k race. If he wants to explain he can but the man is a legend for his knowledge. This was a tough session had to walk the last two recoveries. He actually knew exactly how this was going to go and was just the right mix.

Time/pace
    2:36/5:15
    2:37/5:17
    2:36/5:14
    2:38/5:18
    2:37/5:17

Two more hard workouts before race day. Have you been Strazzadvised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Looks like a very solid Vo2 max session. You are going very well as of late man keep it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

6:50-6:55's for Tuesday and you'll be set up nicely to bring Thursday home in 5:20-22's. Well done - that was a good session and you locked the pace down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good sessions indeed. You may have to reconsider your targets!

• Advertisement

Stazza wrote: »
    6:50-6:55's for Tuesday and you'll be set up nicely to bring Thursday home in 5:20-22's. Well done - that was a good session and you locked the pace down.

Thank you. Did you not mean 5:50-5:55's (10k) and not the above MP for Tuesday?

Friday 28/02/14

A.M.

5 miles recovery

Sleep was not great last night but still got up and out for 5:38am. I take 3-4 shots of wheatgrass every morning which I think helps my recoveries. Feel a few niggles which I will look after later. I was lapping the tracking wanting to hit the road, I'm sick of the track. Ran in reverse as I think my left peroneus longus is tired of the left turns. One thing that freaked me out this morning was these blinking lights in the sky that kept moving around in a not plane like way. It had to be a chopper right. 20 mins AIS and yoga.

P.M.

5 miles recovery

Decided to run from work up Cork Street towards the red cow luas. The Crumlin drag was a reminder of the nightmare at DCM 2013. All the way up to the Luas seemed to be a long drag which got worse and worse. I didn't enjoy this and can really feel the peroneus longus know. Went home and did some static stretching and release moves. Nice easy running now till it goes which I predict to be tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Thank you. Did you not mean 5:50-5:55's (10k) and not the above MP for Tuesday?

I meant, if you're going to do the 2k reps aim for about 6:50/55 - I think you'll probably find that your 10k pace doesn't quite marry with your 3k and 5k pace. I'd start at 6:55's and see how they go...

Sun 02/03/14

First rest day with no running in 28 days. Did some more work on it with the diclac cream and hate to say it but took ibrouphen. I found the trigger point and rubbed out easily enough. Will repeats every four hours. Could run on it but I'm playing it safe.

Sat 01/03/14

P.M.

8 miles recovery pace

Yesterday at the end of second run I felt my left calf niggling. So 8 miles into the run today I called time. I've run 28 days now without a day off. I better sort this before, well you know, it turns into something we all hate. Did some massage toe to knee plus stretching. Have been doing the Phil Wharton foot work and AIS.

Weekly total 63 miles
    Weight 74.4 kg
    Niggle in right calf seems to be Peroneals longus, tight brevis and not so bad flexor hall.

P.M.

5 miles recovery pace

Legs felt in good condition not to much giving out from the calf. Running with the boss so was a slow run. Will continue to rub and stretch.

3 miles recovery pace

I stopped after 3 miles as my leg was annoying me. I was tracing my steps back over the last week and think the issue happened during the intervals last Tuesday. I was weaving in and out of the coach to 5k groups who still haven't learned the track rules. I remember on one turn I came down awkwardly on the troubled side and brushed it off at the time. Have iced and put bio freeze on straight after this run. Looking at taking few days off.

• Advertisement

I have now agreed with Mrs. Wolf that she is the cause of this current calf issue. She stood on me in the exact location, by mistake, while stepping over me the night before I first noticed the issue. We were reminded when she nearly done it again last night and both had a ah ha moment. Off to physio just to get another opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You can't let your wife treat you like a doormat! Stand up!

RayCun wrote: »
    You can't let your wife treat you like a doormat! Stand up!

I know, before hand she thought I was a trampoline!

Quick update after physio;

Mild - Lateral head of the gastrocnemius bruised due to impact, Peroneus Longus strained due to weakened gastrocnemius could of also occurred during initial impact.

Looking at a week to rest and build up.

Last week I done a gym Session and a couple of 40ish minute BMX bike outings. Does bunny hops count as core work. Tommy witnessed me falling off the BMX, and is sorry he had no camera to see me land on my face to be covered on mud.

Mon 10/03/14

A.M.

4 miles recovery pace

Still a bit to go before I'm fully back. Physio later to get some more work.

P.M.

1 hour gym. Stability, functional strength, core and upper body work.

Physio said to keep on working to free my peroneal, tibula fibula head and other tightened areas. Said I should be ok for the race Sunday.

Tues 11/03/14

P.M.

5 miles recovery pace

Lunch time run with the boss. Much more comfortable today. Bit tender after run.

Evening

1 hour gym. Stability, functional strength, core and more core.

Wend 12/03/14

P.M.

5 miles easy pace

Well another day and another bit of progress. Great that I am going in the right direction. I was really holding back today and at times I was floating along. A few niggles from the troubled area not enough to stop and is now much improved now. Had full function today stride was nearly 100%!!

The pace was at the slower end of my easy pace but tempo/10k pace for the boss. He is doing a 10k soon and I wanted to get him used to his race pace (7:45 pace) while I stretched my legs a little.

Did foam rolling on some of the areas followed by some releasing/manipulation. I'm using a manipulation technique my physio does. Seems to be working :)

Thurs 13/03/14

5 miles easy progression to tempo

I was packing it in after this run. The running I was quitting I was giving it up I was fed up. A pace that was normally easy was tough. My tendon was still tight and making my life ****. I much prefer issues with the flexor hal than the brevis.

6 miles easy progression to Tempo

Well I had a go again at working on my leg and spent a good while at it. This run was like having new leg. I found the right trigger points to help release and make running easier. Was tight after run but I'm not quitting now. The aim for the 5k on Sunday is the run it without hurting myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

The aim for the 5k on Sunday is the run it without hurting myself.

Is it really worth the risk though? IMO pull back a bit try to keep ticking over and get the issue resolved. Better to knock one race on the head than a month or two. Even if you get to the start line its gonna play on your mind which may negatively have an impact on the race (speaking from experience I know myself how much these mental aspects can manifest and impact your running)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ecoli wrote: »
    Is it really worth the risk though? IMO pull back a bit try to keep ticking over and get the issue resolved. Better to knock one race on the head than a month or two. Even if you get to the start line its gonna play on your mind which may negatively have an impact on the race (speaking from experience I know myself how much these mental aspects can manifest and impact your running)

+1

There are plenty of 5k races out there

• Advertisement

Fri 14/03/14

20 min pool run

Decided not to run on the road/track today because the tightness is causing pain now. Will not run till pain gone, not run hard until fully clear and no 5k on Sunday.

Oh AIS and some manual work ;)

Sat 15/03/14

5 miles at the faster end of recovery pace

Oh what a day and perfect choice of surface and foot wear. It is amazing what a day off can do. Felt much better today and decided to run on grass and wear the finger feet. Been too long since I ran in them and it felt like a holiday for my legs. I stepped onto the track and the difference is shocking. Need to run on grass as much as I can now till my shock absorbers regain power. Was fine for the first 4 miles with a hint of background niggle. Looking forward to waving goodbye.

Done some calf exercises and static stretching. Lots of walking in the barefoot to help recovery.

Sun 16/03/14

5 miles including MSB 5k (PB 18:40)

Well I got up this morning not known if I would run the race. I had already decided not to but hay. 30+ club members had booked the bus so I had agreed to attend to at least do the warm up and support them.

The bus picked us up at 9:30 this morning in Blessington to travel to Dublin. I sat down at the back of the bus for the entire journey with my headphones on listening to the trance music which helps me relax. I really wanted to run and didn't mind not getting the time I had been training for. I thought if I hit low 20's it would be ok.

We arrived at the mansion house with plenty of time. Was great to see so many club members at the race. Our coach to 5K graduates were running their first 5k. I don't think they're aware that I will now be taking on their interval sessions on Tuesday.

So we took them out and the rest of the club members for a warm up and active stretch. I felt a little awkward with people taking pictures and watching while I took the club through the stretches. I do some coaching at the club mentored by head coach Tommy. It is going really well and I'm learning so much.

Off to the race line where I bumped into Krusty and introduce myself. Don't tell him but felt both privileged and humbled to shake hands with him.

Up to this point everything went very smoothly, was very well organised and the vibe was great. My only selfish complaint was that I was now starting to cool down and my leg was tightening up. Hurry up already, I know you have to waffle etc but come on. The race seemed to start on time.

Boom and we were off and a surge of people started passing me. This was expected but my leg quickly loosened and I settle into 5:40 pace which I was surprised. I don't remember being passed again after the first few 100 meters. This was the last time I looked at the watch too.

The first notable part was the 180 near the very start. Didn't take to much out of me though. I seemed to be in a good mental state and was confident to finish.

The next notable part was when we turned onto the canal I seemed to come under pressure. Wind and drag maybe. I slowed a little as I started noticing the leg. I started to smile at one stage thinking to myself "you're meant to be jogging".

I think the reason I wasn't watching the watch was because the splits were being called out at every k. They seemed to be flying in. I should switch to km instead of miles. I remember seeing the finish line and thinking "already". No one seemed to make a move on me so I pushed on to finish strong but just enough so not to annoy the leg.

I wasn't expecting a time of 18:40. I ran with the mental thought "run relaxed"as to not hurt myself and I'm very happy I must say. A PB of 10 seconds.

I walked back to the finishing straight to cheer on the rest of our club. It was PB central and is great as I am involved with the coaching.

Great day for the club and I'm happy I ran. Next race for me is the Great Ireland run and hopefully I can run harder than today.

Mon 17/03/14

5 miles recovery pace

Ran this run on the grounds of Russbrough which was full of activity. I had been out in Dublin with the kids for the parade and fun fair. I was happy to be back in this wonderful place. The surface is mostly of grass walkway with a touch of forestry trail. 3 laps gives you 5 miles while taking in the lovely scenic views of the Wicklow mountains. I call these grounds my healing and zen zone!

Tues 18/03/14

Evening

5 miles /w 4 x 800 (3:10, 2:54, 2:52, 2:54) off 2 mins (very long recovery)

Warmup on grass. Went down to the track thinking I'll jog the intervals. Once that whistle goes I'm right out in front. The session was 5 reps but I faded after 4 and leg was giving out. Had to ice when I went home. Wonder if I cut the tendon out would it matter?

Lunch

5 mile easy wolfiedo progression

Headed to Phoenix park to run on the grass. I walked a mile from the job and then ran roughly half mile on road until I got onto grass. All the way up Chesterfield I was cutting through the strong head wind. On the way back down I was flying up until mile 4 where I progressively took it back down. Back onto the road for half a mile and then a mike walk back to the job. AIS, static, manual and golf ball at the desk while the computer done all the work. Very strong solid run. Leg healing nicely won't be long now :)

Wend 19/03/14

Evening

1 hour gym. Stability, functional strength, core and upper bodywork.

5 miles recovery pace

Myself and the boss drove on his motorbike to the PP at lunch time. Oh the legs love the soft surface. Other than the head wind up Chesterfield it was a lovely day. This will hopefully become the norm.

Thurs 20/03/14

7 miles easy ;)

Touching into the easy zone. Nice and relaxed run in the grass around the track. Did my rehab work on the lower leg during the day and went the sauna. I think I found an issue with my left foot that may be the root cause. Am going to look into seeing a top biomechanical expert. But I think I just need to strengthen my foot. Nearly running without bother now but my right hip bit tight due to compensation from the left calf.

Fri 21/03/14

6 miles easy

Headed down to the PP with the boss again. We hit very strong head winds/sleet/hail/rain on the way up by the cross. Only lasted a mile or so. I was screaming and punching the air while the boss hid behind. It was very invigorating that very moments of madness in a wide open space. We laughed before turn off into the cover of the tree and trails to continue our run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Fri 21/03/14

6 miles easy

Headed down to the PP with the boss again. We hit very strong head winds/sleet/hail/rain on the way up by the cross. Only lasted a mile or so. I was screaming and punching the air while the boss hid behind. It was very invigorating that very moments of madness in a wide open space. We laughed before turn off into the cover of the tree and trails to continue our run.

You are stone mad!!!

• Advertisement

Sat 22/03/14

Sick day

Was already taking a rest day to let my leg rest. Seems to be both the P longus, brevis agus weak calf. Did some AIS and strength work. I was feeling a bit under too. But it hit me and the little one bad in the afternoon. I slept 3 hours which is not normal. Feel like I'm going to be down a couple of days with sickness. I have eaten lots of chocolate and biscuits which I always do for some reason when I'm sick. Maybe the leg will heal fully now with a couple of days off.

Advertisement