Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Sun 23/03/14

Foot/ankle Strength, stability and balance work. Very positive about some of this new work. And today I've started to read Jay Dicharry - Anatomy for runners. Thanks Straza, perfect time and will help me adjust the rehab to be more effective in preventing reoccurrence. Looking back everything points back to my left foot. Hopefully I can solve this myself but am willing to invest but let's see can I follow some of Dicharry's stuff. I'm not to far afield I reckon and think I can come back a much stronger stable wolf this time!

Mon 24/03/14

5 miles easy

Lunch time

1.5 mile loop around Russbrough would make a great cross country track. The wind and rain was not putting me off enjoying this. Very sloppy in places which nearly had me slide into a bush. This is one of my favorite places to run and funny enough I only run here when injured. Anyway the two days off made a big difference and my calf was much better today and I had a great run.

Evening Gym session

Picture the 6.3" wolf in vibrams stood on a mat with knee up at 90 degree, eyes close and hands on the head!

Step exercises 2 x 12-15 reps(calf raises, heel drops, drops and lat extensions, step ups with knee ups with weights)

Core work

Tues 25/03/14

6.5 miles Evening

Very comfortable and controlled run on the track.

2 x 200/400/600/400/200 off 2 mins jog

Time
    38/1:22/2:03/1:19/39
    40/1:21/2:04/1:21/36

Wend 26/03/13

P.M.

5 miles easy easy

Felt really good the first two miles in the upper easy zone. I bumped into a club member who thankfully slowed me down. Two double days back to back and the leg is 97% there now!

Stretching and foam rolling

A.M.

5 miles recovery

Nice ramble up the canal with the boss. Could feel last night in my legs but I'm feeling really good.

Stretching and golf ball on the feet

Thurs 27/03/14

5 mile Zig Zag tempo

Had intended on a recovery paced run on the grass around the track at lunch. But I just got faster and faster until I eventually came of grass.

1 mile w/u
    1 mile 10k effort
    1mile 5k effort
    1 mile half marathon effort
    1 mile c/d

From the second mile it was a "just one more lap" right until the end. It was totally unplanned and just went by gut adjusting the effort. Really fun actually. Going to skip second run today.

AIS, foam rolling and some stretching Tommy helped with while lying on the table to get the hip flexors good. I forget the name of the stretch.

• Advertisement

Sat 29/03/14

6 miles easy

Met Tommy for an easy run and a coffee. First couple of miles were tough. After that both the pace and effort was easy.

Went to Ecoli to take a look and assess and treat my leg. Sound as a pound on a Tuesday. Really nice guy and knows his stuff. I included his update below as it will be helpful later on to look back at. I'm feeling an improvement already but will update more in the coming days. Basicly a tight muscle is causing my foot to roll and is straining the lateral side of my lower leg.

Symptoms
    - Inflamation of the peroneal longus origin point

Assessment
    - Good hip flexor strength
    - Poor propriocetion within the foot
    - Tight Tibialis posterior - Causing foot inversion
    - Leg length discreprancy within normal range (less than 1mm)

Treatment
    - Manual therapy of Tib posterior and anterior, glute medius to correct inversion
    - Myofascial release of Posterior tibialis
    - Cross fibre friction of proximal Peroneal longus tendon
    - Muscle energy techniques to increase range of movement during foot eversion

Fri 28/03/14

Rest day

Heading to see Ecoli tomorrow and plus my leg is a little iffy.

Mon 31/03/14

5 miles recovery pace

Done this at lunch with my boss at very slow pace. I needed to dift on a few times and circle back. My leg likes my own pace and is not aggravated by my own natural stride. My leg Ecoli worked on is like jelly compared to the other one. Need to try balance that. The lad is good I have to admit.

P.M.

Suana, jacuzzi and pool. 50 mins foam rolling, heel raises, ART on calfs, AIS on calfs the full Phil Wharton. Done some exercises Ecoli gave me and took his advice on not over doing the work. Taking this rehab serious this time. Hopefully will have a good crack at the 10k on Sunday!

Sun 30/03/14

Rest day

Took the day off running and general life. Hit the Sauna, pool and jacuzzi. Other then that I was napping a lot of the day. Leg feeling really good after the work Ecoli done will defo be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Mon 31/03/14

5 miles recovery pace

Done this at lunch with my boss at very slow pace. I needed to dift on a few times and circle back. My leg likes my own pace and is not aggravated by my own natural stride. My leg Ecoli worked on is like jelly compared to the other one. Need to try balance that. The lad is good I have to admit.

P.M.

Suana, jacuzzi and pool. 50 mins foam rolling, heel raises, ART on calfs, AIS on calfs the full Phil Wharton. Done some exercises Ecoli gave me and took his advice on not over doing the work. Taking this rehab serious this time. Hopefully will have a good crack at the 10k on Sunday!

Sun 30/03/14

Rest day

Took the day off running and general life. Hit the Sauna, pool and jacuzzi. Other then that I was napping a lot of the day. Leg feeling really good after the work Ecoli done will defo be going back.

How would one take a day off general life?? I am intrigued!!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    How would one take a day off general life?? I am intrigued!!!

Do nothing. I woke this morning to over flowing bins and all my other general life task that needed to be completed.

Wend 02/03/14

5 miles really easy

I went out with the boss but he was struggling so I pushed on to take off some of the route for him. He had turned early and I had to work a little to catch him. Leg in better shape now but it is not where I had hoped. It is in a much better place then the MSB 5k. I have to keep telling my self that. I'm not very confident now and unhappy as this was a target race. I want to run well on Sunday this annoyance will hopefully be gone fully. It's just at that point where it is just annoying because my stride is put off by this ever so slight tightness. AIS before and after plus heal raises.

Going to do some foam rolling and heal raises followed by an Epson salt bath this evening.

Tues 01/04/13

6 miles at easy pace

The club had 3-5 x 2k at 10k pace off 2 min. I done 3 reps at about 6-40-7 MPM. My leg is still little tight but there was parts I was cruising. It's just annoying that I'm so close to my normal stride. It is much better since seeing Ecoli so will head back soon. Getting a bit nervous for the race on Sunday. AIS before and after. Foam rolling also plus heal raises.

• Advertisement

Sat 05/04/14

4 miles easy

Shakeout before the great Ireland run tomorrow. Will just try my best. The plan is to try hold 6 pace until the last miles and then do the business to PB.

20 mins AIS before and after plus yoga stretches through the day.

Fri 04/04/14

5 miles steady

Really enjoyed this run. Felt the the springs starting to function properly and my leg is nearly 100%. The classic hip/glute on the opposite side starting to show the signs of compensation. I need to break this injury cycle. I have good support in place and we think we know how it starts.

40 min AIS before and after. This really works but cannot always do the full session.

Thurs 03/04/14

5 miles easy incl 1 x 1200/1000 at 5:30 pace

Just had to get some speed into the legs and remember what it feels like.

AIS before and after

Good luck tomorrow, if your training is anything to go by then you're in for a good time.

Thanks fella, hopefully will have a good one!
    Good luck tomorrow, if your training is anything to go by then you're in for a good time.

Sun 06/04/14

8 miles including great Ireland Run 10k IAA championships

With a bad nights sleep, a little head cold, a recovering injury and driving duties it wasn't a bad start to the day.

I had a few things to do before I collected some club mates to head to the race. I was a little hyper and giddy which is always a bad sign. We got to the park with plenty time to spare. I seen Ecoli and who I think was DQ. Me and the club mates watched the mile race which was fun. I would love to have a go at a mile soon. During the warm up I pushed on away from the guys to get some alone time. I had done 40 mins AIS before leaving to go the park.

Got to the race line with few minutes to spare. Bumped into one of the lads from the club who on paper is the slower runner based on previous results. I tried to move up a bit but got stuck a little back from my normal positioning.

Gun went off and I tried to move up a little. I couldn't get my watch started either as it did a auto power off. I spent the first little bit trying to get it going. The first mile was tough really tough and I was only doing 5:54. My calf was still a little tight and my right hip was too. I tried to find a rhythm which I did but kept loosing it.

During the second mile I was considering dropping out. The pace felt really tough and I decided to pull back. 6:11 clocked.

Mile 3 and I was really working hard, what the hell was going on. I was asking myself does it always feel like this. I kept trying to relax and chill out I was freaking out and close to blowing up. Oh **** here comes the hills. Clocked 6:08 for this mile.

Miles 4-6 kicked my arse and I walked a short period twice. At this stage I just got on and accepted I was dying a death. Weather was lovely just a tough wind at times on the hills which added to the difficult time I was having. 6:55, 6:49, 6:49.

I think because of a few long/wide turns I took my watch record another an extra 1/4 mile. I ran this in 75 seconds to the finish. This brought me home just behind my club mate who I couldn't catch. Delighted for him although he didn't break the 40 that he was out but it was so close. I think my time will be around 40:15 which is about 1:30 out from my PB. Take a positive away is that I was working hard and I will benefit from it.

Now off to feed myself and get over today. I'm happy I kept going and will just move on to a new cycle of 10k training. I'm going to run my intervals slower this time that is the only thing I will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Solid run man. Conditions were nearly as bad as last year and that is a horrible course. Definitely in PB shape man just keep the head down and remember consistently solid training trumps sporadically spectacular every time. You don't have to be keeled over in a heap after every session to make gains.

ecoli wrote: »
    Solid run man. Conditions were nearly as bad as last year and that is a horrible course. Definitely in PB shape man just keep the head down and remember consistently solid training trumps sporadically spectacular every time. You don't have to be keeled over in a heap after every session to make gains.

Cheers fella, I'm defo making that adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

If it's any consolation this race kicked my arse alot more than I expected too, even in my current crappy form. Hills plus wind didn't help.

cianc wrote: »
    If it's any consolation this race kicked my arse alot more than I expected too, even in my current crappy form. Hills plus wind didn't help.

Very challenging all the same. We will gain from that race for sure bud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Well done today: given the recent problems you've faced, that's not bad going on a tough course in windy conditions. Rest up and like ecoli says, consistency is key.

Stazza wrote: »
    Well done today: given the recent problems you've faced, that's not bad going on a tough course in windy conditions. Rest up and like ecoli says, consistency is key.

Thanks I will try my best.

• Advertisement

Nice pb wolf.

Just a bit of food for thought over the coming days. For what it's worth I think you might be aiming a bit high with your target times at the moment. If I were you I'd reel the 5 & 10k in a little and forget about the super fast times that you are currently aiming for. Maybe put them off until you consistently hit 36/7 for 10k and 18 or so for 5k.

That's my tuppence worth, but I ain't no expert!!

Thanks, I'm defo doing that. It wasn't a PB today I done 38:46 in the Great Heat 10k earlier in the year. Today was just a tad over 40 min but as the guys said it was good considering. I think I will just do some easier running and slower paced sessions and race a bit more. Anyone disagree? Also should I decrease the intensity of my gym session?

I was planning 5-10k right up to June until I start 10-1/2 Marathon building towards DCM.
    Nice pb wolf.

Just a bit of food for thought over the coming days. For what it's worth I think you might be aiming a bit high with your target times at the moment. If I were you I'd reel the 5 & 10k in a little and forget about the super fast times that you are currently aiming for. Maybe put them off until you consistently hit 36/7 for 10k and 18 or so for 5k.

That's my tuppence worth, but I ain't no expert!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks, I'm defo doing that. It wasn't a PB today I done 38:46 in the Great Heat 10k earlier in the year. Today was just a tad over 40 min but as the guys said it was good considering. I think I will just do some easier running and slower paced sessions and race a bit more. Anyone disagree? Also should I decrease the intensity of my gym session?

I was planning 5-10k right up to June until I start 10-1/2 Marathon building towards DCM.

No Gym should be full effort for fibre recruitment (if you are lifting heavy rather than just injury prevention) but facilitate this with proper recovery

When it is said slower it is more try match your training times up with current times rather than goal times

ecoli wrote: »
    No Gym should be full effort for fibre recruitment (if you are lifting heavy rather than just injury prevention) but facilitate this with proper recovery

When it is said slower it is more try match your training times up with current times rather than goal times

No I rarely lift heavy. I do some functional strength and core work. Well I call it that I got some of the exercises of the Rupp videos and from my coach.

Yes when I said slower I meant at current times not goal ;)

I think I will try go with easy running, current times for sessions and just race more every two weeks. This week being an exception because K Klub.

Mon 07/04/14

5 miles recovery pace (9 min pace)

Few slow miles at lunch to get the recovery going. Consulting with my support team to adjust my training. Will decide Wednesday if I'll race the K Klub this week.

Evening core and stability

Bought a new gym ball for the home gym. Had a nice session including heel raises, gym ball work, resistance band, single leg squats and some single leg balance work. That's what I remember. It's amazing the amount you can do with the gym ball. Kept it easy and controlled.

Wed 09/04/13

5 miles really easy

Out with my boss and I felt better today. Long day yesterday with the conformation etc. Was going to give K Klub a go Saturday but a number of things both physically and socially are getting in the way. Going to see Ecoli for a treatment tomorrow. Will go out early for a really easy run beforehand. Next target will be Terrenure.

Tues 08/04/14

5 miles easy

Had to get out at 6:30am as my eldest son was making his confirmation. I'm just 32 but this made me feel old. The joys of having kids young. Anyhow I could feel my body was still recovering from the race. I kept it around 8 min pace maybe a little fast.

Thurs 10/04/14

A.M.

5 miles easy

I had to get out at 7am before starting work because I had a visit to Ecoli early. Felt really heavy and had to slow the pace as didn't want to make it tough.

Went for my treatment with Ecoli at 10am. Got some work on glute/hip also the calf. Feeling the benefit on the calf already. No running until tomorrow.

Fri 11/04/14

5 miles easy

On my own for this one and kept the pace the same as previous runs. It was easier today then has been the past few days. Still a bit tender after the work I had done yesterday. Will run my first 10 miler in the morning. It has been weeks since I ran anything near this distance.

AIS, foam roller and yoga stretches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Went for my treatment with Ecoli at 10am. Got some work on glute/hip also the calf. Feeling the benefit on the calf already. No running until tomorrow.

So, that was you in after me. The fecker never said ;)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    So, that was you in after me. The fecker never said ;)

Sorry never even seen you. Have to say he has total respect for client privacy.

Advertisement