Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Sorry never even seen you. Have to say he has total respect for client privacy.

Has that cream started working yet? It kills the little f$ckers in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Gavlor wrote: »
    Has that cream started working yet? It kills the little f$ckers in a couple of days.

It's not like the shops you're used to bud!

Sun 13/04/14

10 miles @ 7:40 MPM

Got out before watching London as I didn't want to head out all pumped after watching it. I really loved this run it was easy and controlled. The focus was getting the glutes firing and boy does it make a difference. Ecoli has backed a winner here and will be interesting to see once I turn the lights fully back on how much I improve. I guess with all the high intensity I let it slip and the glutes stopped functioning or maybe they never did. It's all about proprioception for the next while. No point having strong muscles if I cannot connect them when running.

AIS before and after.

Sat 12/04/14

5 miles easy

Starting to feel good again but keeping to the slower pace. Decided against racing again to allow time to fix issues with tight glutes. Have started some glute proprioception work along side the stretching and ART.

Wend 16/04/14

4 miles recovery 8:30 pace

I really tried to run slow but any slower and my calf will just get to tight to run. Have been putting deep heat on and giving it a good massage and trigger pointing every 4 hours. If it bothers me tomorrow I'm taking a few days off.

Tues 15/04/14

P.M.

6 miles including 400/800/1200/800/400

Did all these about 6 min pace :) the calf got a little tight near the end. I'm now limping when it cools down it gets that tight.

A.M.

5 miles easy (8 min pace)

Calf a little better but still tight.

Mon 14/04/14

Took off as my calf is a bit tender and tight after the longer run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Why don't you take a week or two off? It's clear that your body needs some time to settle down/sort itself out. If you keep pressing you're going to end up with something far worse. Sometimes you just need to step back and take a break and let your body work its magic.

• Advertisement

Stazza wrote: »
    Why don't you take a week or two off? It's clear that your body needs some time to settle down/sort itself out. If you keep pressing you're going to end up with something far worse. Sometimes you just need to step back and take a break and let your body work its magic.

Yes it is looking highly likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

My 2 cents: I just saw the physio for a persistently tight calf, and she told me I was overdoing it with the foam roller. No more than 3x1 minute a day I was told. In other words, stop touching yourself for a few days :)

Day 2 no running, stretching or touching. Just some short walks. Seems to be rapidly improving even felt like running but I'm going to try get as many days off as possible.

Mon 21/04/14

7 miles easy

Well I can still walk :) First few miles I could feel the previous run in my legs but it turned into heaven. Had planned 5 but it turned into 6 then 7 and had the thoughts of going to 10 but decided to stop. AIS after with some yoga poses.

Sun 20/04/13

5 miles bing bong

I lasted nearly 4 days I was pulling my hair out. I went out with the idea of taking it easy but I just got faster and faster. Mile 4 was a little slower because I came through the town and it was buzzing so had to take it handy. I finished the last little bit of this run at a fairly hot pace and I really enjoyed it. I love these type of runs and might do them instead of speed work. The last time I had a stretch of good training these runs worked well. 10 min cool down on the treadmill followed by AIS.

Splits 7:22, 6:38, 6:33, 7:08, 6:20.

Wend 23/04/14

7 miles easy

Really enjoyed this run on the canal on my own. Leg really good today. Heading to see my new therapist for a massage tomorrow evening.

Tues 22/04/14

Off

• Advertisement

Thurs 23/04/14

5 mile progression

It's runs like this that remind me why I love to run. When your whole body is just functioning as a unit working together. I had planned to run an easy one before I went to see Ecoli for my treatment. I just relaxed into it and wasn't to much of an effort and it felt really good. Felt like half marathon effort which looking at the splits isn't to far off.

(Mile splits 7:23, 6:46, 6:42, 6:32, 6:13)

Had about 6 hours between the run and treatment. Calfs are getting better but hamstrings are tight. Feeling good about the response to this treatment. Can feel my muscles releasing which is great!

Fri 25/04/14

5 mile recovery

My legs couldn't go any faster today from the run and massage yesterday. Can feel the spring back now which is great. Booked the Terrenure 5 miler today.

Sun 27/04/14

9 miles easy

Done this after lunch as I'm still painting and will be for the remainder of the day. Need to pick up a wooden floor too. B&Q 20% off get in there. Very happy with this weeks training.

Sat 26/04/14

A.M.

2 mile recovery

Wanted to do a 9 mile run but called it after 1. I was going to walk back but just jog it out and finished at 2 miles. Had been up with a sick child, been sick myself and legs sore and tied. I'm actually proud that I stopped as I normally would tough it out and do more harm than good. Oh my core work today is painting.

Have been doing the stretching Ecoli gave me. I'm very happy with how he helped me the past few weeks!

P.M.

5 miles easy

A new lease of life into the body I think it rewarded me for listening this morning. I was hold back I was zippy and edged wanted to power on. The run felt really easy at 7:30 pace and also very consistent splits. Very positive signs.

Wend 30/04/14

A.M.

5 miles recovery (9 min pace)

Went for a jog on the canal with my boss so pace was very slow.

P.M.

5 miles trails/hills

Up around the back of the lakes by the old forest roads. Some tough hills so tried to keep it handy so not to turn it into a session. Was a new run that myself and club mate have been waiting to try. Will be back for some hill work for sure.

Tues

29/04/14

8 miles w/ 1 @ 10kish (6:10), 2 @ HMP (6:38)

Thought I'd kind of go for a fartlek multipace tempo type effort. Still felt a little sick but clear up by the evening. Had some stomach issues so didn't go mad. 2 mile rest between tempo efforts.

Mon 28/04/14

Off was sick as a dog. Must of picked it up from the kids right nasty dose.

Thurs 01/05/14

A.M.

5 miles easy

Just wanted to get out a shakeout the legs before tonight's session. Plus my leg seems to like more running and is responding well to Ecoli's advice.

P.M.

6 miles /w 6 x 800 off 90 sec standing recoveries

All ran at 3 mins give take a second. Coach was shocked that I done what I was told. But wants me to only do one recovery run tomorrow no doubles until next week. Really controlled relaxed session felt like I could of done more.

Fri 02/05/14

5 miles recovery (9 MPM AVG)

The usual run up the canal with the boss. Had a meatball foot long subway as a treat afterwards.

Fri 02/05/14

5 miles recovery (9 MPM AVG)

The usual run up the canal with the boss. Had a meatball foot long subway as a treat afterwards.

Haha - sounds tasty.

Stazza wrote: »
    Haha - sounds tasty.

Oh it sure was. If I break 30 for the 5 mile in two weeks I'll eat two at the same time. That's what my mantra will be. Meatballs and jalapeno.. Relax... Sub way here I come... Hold that 6 min pace.... Ah free 7up...... Either that or the women kicking my ass or me looking at their.....

Sat 03/05/14

10 miles @ 7:44 MPM AVG

Done this around the lakes 10k route with some other hilly bits. The second half was tough and could feel the fatigue in my legs. Will run easy now until power comes back. Went the Zoo afterwards and I walked for 2 hours after mini me. He moves so quickly. Dropped by Amphibian king on the way home. Was thinking of changing runner but I was kept in the Kinvara. Few issues picked up but I'm getting help with them already and am aware of them. Going home to do my loosening out and watch a movie. Not planning to running tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Sat 03/05/14

10 miles @ 7:44 MPM AVG

Done this around the lakes 10k route with some other hilly bits
    Initially read this as "hill billies" :)

• Advertisement

Mon 05/05/15

A.M.

6 miles felt really easy (7 min pace)

I woke this morning in bits from the work I done yesterday. I soon loosened out and cracked out a lovely run which I didn't let get into anyway tough. I was loving the new shoes. Picking up a second pair from Amphibian today.

P.M.

5 miles a little easier (7:20)

Ran this with a club mate. Knew we had 400s tomorrow evening so kept it at a handy pace. Loving the second pair of Kinvara 4. Think my older pairs are gone or just there. Feeling much stronger now yip yip! Highly recommend Amphibian King for running gear!

Sun 04/05/14

Off - two sessions with foam roller, golf ball and slitter. Full stretches using a range of static,dynamic and yoga.

Tues 06/05/14

6 miles /w 12 x 400 of 45 sec recoveries

Done each lap at 1:28/1:30. I must get the track measured as I'm sure it is a bit long. A very comfortable and controlled session. Maybe a little to easy. Only complaint was it lashed for the hour and was windy too. Enjoyed it though.

Thurs 08/05/14

7 miles /w 6 @ 6:35 pace

Went out with the coach for a tempo while he was having an easy run. We hit the lakes 10k route so it was sure to be a good effort for me. He warned me during the second mile when we hit a 6:25 mile. I was leading the pace for the first half. He told me to be careful coming to the big hill on the route but both of us got a surprise as it didn't phase me. I wanted to give about 10% less than race effort. This is a great indicator and will be my last hard effort until the Terrenure 5 mile. Coach is very happy as am I. He said no more running today so I best listen. Yes I now listen.

Wend 07/05/14

A.M.

4 miles recovery

P.M.

6 miles easy

Sat 10/05/14

10 miles easy (8 MPM
    pace)

Lovely run in the rain around the lakes. Tried my best to stay in the easy zone. All easy running until the race next week.

Fri 09/05/14

5 miles recovery run

Was finding it hard to keep the pace between 8-20/30. Was a very easy run.

Evening core class

The club put on a core class to show some exercises to help with core strength and balance. I was helping out but still had a good workout as I demoed for the coach.

30:51 in Terenure 5 mile! Will get the sub 30 next time. Looking good for sub 37 10k!

Well done - great that you're back at it and competing again. The times will come down...

Sat 17/05/14

Off

Fri 16/05/14

3.7 mile jog (9:38 MPM)

Bosses foot was sore so stop.

Thurs 15/05/14

5 miles very easy

Wend 14/05/14

5 mile recovery

Tues 13/05/14

5 miles /w 12 x 200 off 200 jog recovery

All reps done at 38-40 seconds. They might have been a little long too. Felt very very strong and controlled.

Mon 12/05/14

5 mile recovery

Sun 11/05/14

Off

Sun 18/05/14

8 mile including Terenure 5 mile race

I had been very excited about this race over the last few weeks. I had trained differently this time and made some changes to the way I approached it. The first was that the intensity of my intervals I ran at current race pace. I then started to run the easier runs easier and the recovery runs slower. I ran less and striped it right back trying to regain my form and flexibility that I had damaged due to pushing really hard. I then went back to my original stretching program that had worked before. This includes light stretching daily and yoga poses like the Pigeon and down facing dog etc. My focus was now on improving my own ability rather than trying to align it with that of others.

Now on the morning of the race I met up with some club mates and headed in together. We got there with plenty time to spare and I tried a different warm up from what I usually do It was very slow at first with just about 1.5 miles, stopping regularly and stretching very lightly. I then done some AIS and put on the racing flats and done some strides near the start line.

30:51 new PB took 2 mins off last year.

Mile 1 (5:46)

I hate crowds and today was a crowded day. Just as we got off no sooner had someone fell head over heels. I shout asking was he ok and he just got up and that’s all I remember of that. A club mate was running with me and I reminded him to try as best as possible to stick to 6 minutes for the first mile. My girlfriend and kids made me smile as I past them shouting come on Daddy!! That was the highlight of the race for me. A couple of times I had to pull my club mate back and even then the first mile went by in 5:46. At this stage the pacers went by and my club mate tried pushing on and I called him back again. I told him that the lads where well ahead and to not go with them as it could cause him to blow up and will result in a poor race over all.

Mile 2 (6:07)

I could sense my club mate was feeling the effects of the first mile and was going to be blowing hard soon. I was feeling very strong with only a few doubts in my mind but I kept the strong focus and kept my form as best I could.

Mile 3 (6:19)

Half way through this mile and my club mate was struggling and started to drop off, I even slowed a little to see if I could get him back. But he was dying and I had to push on. It was at the end of this mile that I was worrying if I could hang on but sure I was fine it was all mental now. My girlfriend and kids gave me a lovely feeling as they shout me on. This was the first time that they were out on course.

Mile 4 (6:11)

This mile seems to have gone by so quickly and I was now just focused on keeping the people ahead of me in sight. Looking back at the pace it seems I dropped off and lost a bit of time.

Mile 5 (6:21)

I felt I ran this mile faster but I think I stopped racing after my club mate dropped off. I was giving some words of encouragement to a Mayo AC girl that was blowing hard,“3 x 400 left your nearly there” I said. She replied “You too”. Maybe I was blowing had too but I could still talk. Just looking at the splits they don’t add up as there is an extra 7 seconds.

This is a 2 minute PB set on this very course last year. I have only ran two 5 mile races and both are Terenure. Next up Dunshaughlin 10k with a Park run before hand.

Sat 24/05/14

Off - Was waiting all week for it to catch up, yesterday and today I was mighty tired. No way was I going out today. Chill out time with the kids watching movies and eating well. Some great runs this week. Plan is to take it handy until next Saturday and give a park run a good go!

Fri 23/05/14

5 mile recovery

I'm ducked.

Thurs 22/05/14

A.M.

7 mile @ 6:45 MPM

I went with Tommy for this. After the first mile I did 2 hard miles over the hills at 6:30. I got an earful and was marched for the remaining 4 at 6:45 to the dot. I'm told I have to run consistently and was told off about going out hard and fading. This was a great work out.

P.M.

4.5 miles

Hill run. Amazing views on a new climb tonight. It was a mighty climb and the downhill was as steep as the climb. Very stoney and cliffy paths on mountain sides. Wasn't full on as I have to be careful for the remainder of this week.

Wend 21/05/14

A.M.

5 mile recovery

P.M.

5 mile @ 6:44 MPM

Progressive tempo working up to 5k pace for the last mile.

Tues 20/05/14

5 miles recovery

Had intervals with the club. The fatigue set in today and there was no way was I going to run a session. I sat in with the joggers and was chatting and giving some encouragement.

Mon 19/05/14

A.M.

3.3 miles

I couldn't go slow so I stopped. I was going under 7 min pace so I cut it short. Not good to be running like this after a race.

P.M.

6.7 miles

Again under 7 min pace. Too much zip in my legs.

• Advertisement

Sun 25/05/14

10 miles @ 6:30 pace

Didn't intend on this happening but I had watched Coulghan interview the Kenyans. This was over the Lakes 10k course and other hilly bits. Felt very strong and really enjoyed this. Some great runs this week. An easier week next week hopefully with a fast 5k.

Advertisement