Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Naas park run 18:21 new PB, 40 second lead from the start. Hopefully break 18 next time.

Sun 01/06/14

10 miles easy

Sat 31/05/14

6.5 miles including 5k park run Naas

18:21 new PB and got me my first first place

First off getting first place with a time like this feels a little wrong. But it's my first win so I now want a win in a tougher race so I have a lot of work to do.

I had planned to use this as my key session for the week. I'm planning on running a local 10k on the 15th June in Kildare so it was a perfect building race.

I traveled with a club mate who finish 7th. We warmed up and the previous weeks winning lady joined us. A couple of easy miles and some AIS and strides.

Mile 1 (5:40)

I went out really hard to create a lead by blowing off the competition. I was hitting 5 min pace in the first 400 meters so eased off the pedal a little. I still got no challenge by the end of this mile. I was listening for foot steps rather then looking around which was another mistake I used to make. A little glance on the turns works rather then a full turn on the straights.

Mile 2 (6:07)

I guess I eased up a little too much. I forgot to mention that it was very warm and the air was very tin. So I was working harder due to this. Still no challengers so lazy me just relaxed.

Mile 3 (6:09)

I was working a good bit at this stage. I should have pushed on a bit sooner but I had about 40 sec lead and just maintained that.

.1 (28 sec 4:28 pace)

It seems I belted the last bit, I will try going a bit sooner next time. I started strong and finished strong with a little dip in between. If I can push a little harder next time I will break 18. A few guys approached me after the race asking was I even running they said I looked so relaxed. It didn't feel like that and I felt I gave it everything.

I'm happy with this maybe next time I will have another bit of progress.

Fri 30/05/14

Off

Thurs 29/05/14

A.M.

5 miles easy

P.M.

5 miles /w 10 hill reps

Didn't do them all out. First 5 were very slow and the second 5 were not that fast either.

Wend 28/05/14

5 miles recovery

Tues 27/05/14

A.M.

5 miles recovery

P.M.

7 miles /w 6 x 20sec (100 meters) accelerations

Skipped the session as going to do a 5k as my main session on Saturday.

Mon 26/05/14

A.M.

5 miles easy

P.M.

5 miles easier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice running!

Particularly after blowing off the opposition during the first mile :D

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nice running!

Particularly after blowing off the opposition during the first mile :D

You like that! Oh bring on the day I do that to the 15 min guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

There's a picture of you and the first woman up on their FB page.

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    There's a picture of you and the first woman up on their FB page.

Seen that cheers. I warmed up with her and ran back to encourage her on after I finished. So technical I finished twice!

Thurs 05/06/14

5 miles /w pyramid

Time/meters
    200/400/600/400/200/400/600/400/200
    35/66/1:50/69/33/74/2:02/76/33

1 min recoveries

Loved this session. Went out hard, slowed a little but I wanted it to be hard. I needed this as have been very pedestrian lately. I felt very strong even when the lactic acid hit me I kept pushing as best I could. Great to get a bit more faster stuff in.

Wend 04/06/14

A.M.

5 miles easy

P.M.

5 miles easy

Tues 03/06/14

A.M.

5 miles easy

Felt better after extra rest yesterday.

P.M.

9 miles easy

Got a wedding the weekend so trying to get more running done. I hope to slip away from the wedding to drop kids home to babysitter. Will get an easy 5 in then.

Mon 02/06/14

5 miles easy

Was meant to do a second run but fell asleep in my running gear. Was a kind of a just sit down for a few minutes kind of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Good pyramid session - looks like you had a little nap on that second 600m :D. Good splits.

Stazza wrote: »
    Good pyramid session - looks like you had a little nap on that second 600m :D. Good splits.

Oh I ran that one backwards! Cheers I loved it!

Sat 07/06/14

8 miles including 6.2 @ 6:30 pace

Our club hosted Bros Pearse A.C. Today to a little get together social run. We did the lakes 10k route, I thought it was an easy run but one of our lads and a guy from Bros Pearse took off. I chased but tried to not go outside tempo effort. We had tea and treats after and had a chat with a few of the lads and lasses. Great but was surprise none of the boardies turned up.

Fri 06/06/14

9 miles easy

Me and a club mate got a little carried away chatting and a short run got a little longer. Lovely evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Sat 07/06/14

Our club hosted Bros Pearse A.C. Today to a little get together social run.

Sallys

drquirky wrote: »
    Sallys

???

???

Slagging Sisters Pearse Wolfie! Nice PR win btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sat 07/06/14

Our club hosted Bros Pearse A.C. Today to a little get together social run. We did the lakes 10k route, I thought it was an easy run but one of our lads and a guy from Bros Pearse took off. I chased but tried to not go outside tempo effort. We had tea and treats after and had a chat with a few of the lads and lasses. Great but was surprise none of the boardies turned up.

Fri 06/06/14

9 miles easy

Me and a club mate got a little carried away chatting and a short run got a little longer. Lovely evening.

Ran a parkrun today. Coach's orders. People from the club seemed to have enjoyed it. Will try to get down for the 10k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Ran a parkrun today.

Jaysus you guys were out on force today

Slagging Sisters Pearse Wolfie! Nice PR win btw!

That means a lot mate!

Ran a parkrun today. Coach's orders. People from the club seemed to have enjoyed it. Will try to get down for the 10k

Yes it was a good session that I wasn't expecting! Cheers.

Sat 14/06/14

10 miles easy

Ran early this morning. My legs are screaming for some downtime. No running until Monday and next week is a recovery with a 5 k park run at the end. Going to attempt breaking 18 after a few recovery days.

Fri 13/06/14

A.M. 4 miles easy P.M. 4 miles recovery

Legs pretty sore from gym, hamstrings are very tight.

Thurs 12/06/14

8 miles steady

Done this with coach. I'm
    Starting to feel a bit to much fatigue. Going to run easy for the rest of week and use next week for recovery.

1 hour in gym

Wend 11/06/14

A.M. 5 miles easy P.M. 4 miles easy

Tues 10/06/14

A.M. 5 miles recovery P.M. 6 miles /w 5 x 1k @ 5k pace

3:37, 3:34, 3:33, 3:34, 3:33

Was tired before this and still held up very well. Slightly faster than 5k pace.

Mon 09/06/13

A.M. 5 miles easy P.M. 6 miles easy tempo

Sun 22/06/14

6 miles easy in Scenic Tullow. Was a lovely run. Legs didn't feel to bad and I'm now focused to get weight down again.

I'm going to have a recovery week now. I will then race Dunlavin 5k at the end of the week. I'm obsessed with breaking 18 mins. Should I run a 10k instead. Help????? Please?

Sat 21/06/13

6 miles including 5k park run

So frustrating. I ran without the watch gave a good solid effort to only go and run 1 second slower than last time. I have had a bad week with sore legs, felt iffy and am carrying a bag of extra weight. Pissed off!

It was lovely to meet fitza while see scanned my bar code. Sorry if I seemed cranky I thought I ran a better time.

Fri 20/06/14

Off to rest

Thurs 19/06/14

5 miles easy /w 6 x 100 in 18s

Legs are starting to come around but I must be fighting off a little infection.

Wend 18/06/14

A.M. 5 recovery - I hope my legs recover. I'm feeling like something's not right.

P.M. 5 miles easy - feeling a bit better.

Tues 17/06/14

A.M. 5 miles without watch. Plan is to run a 5k without watch on Saturday. This was the first time in a longtime without the watch. Was interesting to see how in touch you become with the watch and the weirdness running without it. Think I ran it too fast. I am not recovering even though I'm running easy something's not right. I'm 4kg up don't know how I let that slip.

P.M. 5 miles /w 5 x 1 k off 2 min jog

Ran these slow at 6:30 pace as my legs are not great. Was a good session and the guys didn't break themselves trying to keep up with me.

Mon 16/06/14

A.M. 8 miles easyish - ran to the Phoenix park before lunch. Feeling the gym in the legs still. Ran on some of the trails to give the legs a break from the paths/roads.

P.M. 6 easy - legs not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Sun 22/06/14

6 miles easy in Scenic Tullow. Was a lovely run. Legs didn't feel to bad and I'm now focused to get weight down again.

I'm going to have a recovery week now. I will then race Dunlavin 5k at the end of the week. I'm obsessed with breaking 18 mins. Should I run a 10k instead. Help????? Please?

Sat 21/06/13

6 miles including 5k park run

So frustrating. I ran without the watch gave a good solid effort to only go and run 1 second slower than last time. I have had a bad week with sore legs, felt iffy and am carrying a bag of extra weight. Pissed off!

It was lovely to meet fitza while see scanned my bar code. Sorry if I seemed cranky I thought I ran a better time.

Hi Wolf, I didn't think you were cranky at all, your disappointment was clear ...it was a very warm morning with a fair breeze! Great running anyway:) Next time:)
    As for the bag of extra weight??!! :confused:
    10k or 5k on Sunday..... having run the parkrun in Naas a few times and knowing the Dunlavin 5k I would think Dunlavin would be a faster route....the first 1k is downhill and apart from a short drag on the 2nd km the rest is flat with a long run in to the finish which (IMO) makes for a faster finish. I know of one athlete from a nearby club going for a pb in the 5k. The 10k is a nice route, has ups and downs:) I certainly will not be running the 10k for a PB, want to do it as did it last year. Good luck with your decision!

• Advertisement

FITZA wrote: »
    Hi Wolf, I didn't think you were cranky at all, your disappointment was clear ...it was a very warm morning with a fair breeze! Great running anyway:) Next time:)
    As for the bag of extra weight??!! :confused:
    10k or 5k on Sunday..... having run the parkrun in Naas a few times and knowing the Dunlavin 5k I would think Dunlavin would be a faster route....the first 1k is downhill and apart from a short drag on the 2nd km the rest is flat with a long run in to the finish which (IMO) makes for a faster finish. I know of one athlete from a nearby club going for a pb in the 5k. The 10k is a nice route, has ups and downs:) I certainly will not be running the 10k for a PB, want to do it as did it last year. Good luck with your decision!

I have somehow put on 4 kg and am noticing it. My height hides it well.

I'm going for the 5k I'm not doing anything else till I break 18.

Plan is to reduce Milage 50% before the this with recovery pace. Hopefully this will give me the break through I need to go sub 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Plan is to reduce Milage 50% before the this with recovery pace. Hopefully this will give me the break through I need to go sub 18.

The very best of luck with it:)

FITZA wrote: »
    The very best of luck with it:)

Thanks will be recruiting a few club members.

Wolfie- don't obsess over numbers. You are progressing well. 2x sessions, 1xlsr (but easy and sensible) easy running the rest of the week will get you there. You are finally running sessions sensibly and the progress is showing! Small gains each week.

Hell- give me a race and I'll pace you to it if the sub 18 is becoming that big a mental block!

Wolfie- don't obsess over numbers. You are progressing well. 2x sessions, 1xlsr (but easy and sensible) easy running the rest of the week will get you there. You are finally running sessions sensibly and the progress is showing! Small gains each week.

Hell- give me a race and I'll pace you to it if the sub 18 is becoming that big a mental block!

Ah cheers bud, yes you're right I'm turning a gate into a big wall. If I don't get it this week I'll pop down to Tallaght parkrun the following week. I've dropped a session and am doing the 5k instead. I acctually got the idea from you by "racing into shape". I just need to slot the 10-14 mile day early in the week.

17:55 on my garmin for Dunlavin 5k. Thank god that's done and I can now get on with training. Full report to follow but will just say one thing. I was on the ground after this! :)

17:55 on my garmin for Dunlavin 5k. Thank god that's done and I can now get on with training. Full report to follow but will just say one thing. I was on the ground after this! :)

Congrats Wolfie!!

Congrats Wolfie!!

Cheers bud!

Fri 27/06/14

5 miles easy @ 7:41 MPM

I have been including my paces this week just to note them as this is a significant week. Sunday will be 1 year to the day when I ran my first ever 5k in 18:52. So this will be a real milstone for me. Plan on Sunday is to run my heart out and be in need of medical care afterwards!

Thurs 26/06/14

5 miles /w 6 x 100ish meter strides

Really easy running for 3 miles before hitting the straight. Was roughly 110 meters and the splits where (17,18,18,17,18,17). The strides felt really strong and I certainly have my speed back. I could totally break 60 second for the 400. I must do that soon officially! My heart is on the 5/10k at the moment. Great session and hopefully it will give me the edge I need for Sunday. <Hay Mr. 18 you and me going to tango!>

Wed 25/06/14

5 miles @ 7 min pace

Feck this felt really easy and really good, but I know it was so wrong. Bad Wolf!

Tues 24/06/14

9 miles /w 3 x 6:30 (LT)

So decided to get in some longer miles at easy pace and a little something. So i'd be getting a longish run and something easy. 3 min standing recoveries between LT efforts to make sure of it.

Mon 23/06/14

5 miles recovery (9 min pace)

Start as I mean to go on. Plan this week is to have a recovery week and race my best 5k ever on Sunday. I hope to only run 30-40 miles this week as opposed to 57 from previous weeks.

• Advertisement

Sun 29/06/2014

7 miles including Dunlavin 5k (17:54 New PB)

Well this was to be my 3rd attempt at cracking the 18 minutes over the last few weeks. 11am start so no pressure to go to bed mad early or get up early. I was trying to relax all week and not get to caught up with breaking 18 but more just have a really good run.

Got up and had my usual shots of wheatgrass, eat some of the **** that was meant to be flapjacks but end up being a loose granola cereal with a shocking amount of sugar in it and a banana. Had my usual cup of Joe and went to meet the club mate.

We got up to Dunlavin with plenty time to spare. Had a ramble around to warm up before doing some stretching , drills and strides. Met up with some of the Newbridge crew and was a good bit of chatting to them. I was shocked to see one of them out after placing 8th in St. Cocas 5k with a sub 16 5k so knew a 1st place was out. A funny thing happened when I was doing some strides near the start line which I actually think helped me in the race. This guy pulls up in a car and says in a country accent "you're a great runner aren’t you", I says "thanks why?", he says "I know you are, are you a professional", I replied "no", he says "well you should be". I was a little amazed by it and gave me a boost just at the right time.

1 miles (5:26)

While towing the line the newbridge crew were getting a talking to by their pacer and the guy I was chatting with who did St. Cocas on Friday. I knew this was going to be a race and I had all mix emotions and thoughts. But I just focused on the task ahead. Count down began and boom we were off. A nice smooth surge through the town with a few wee babies up blowing past brought a smile to my face. After the first 400 meters Newbridge guy said to me "you better kept to your sub 18 pace, this is 5 min pace". So I dropped off a tad but always knew the first mile would be fast.

Mile 2 (6:04)

I was much stronger this week but I seemed to drop off a bit much. By the end of this mile I didn't care or think about sub 18. I was working hard but didn't want to push any harder. I was in 3rd and still within touching distance from 2nd and could see 1st place held by Newbridge.

Mile 3 (6:00)

During this mile I found my heart for the first time. I think I had an outer body experience or something. We had a turn around and people I knew where calling as I past but I don't think I was responding. I hate turn around cones a good 10 second I think they cost me. About 800 out and I picked up pace as I was being closed on by some of the Newbridge crew their pacer really pushing them hard. I think he had more effect on me as I kick and kicked as hard as I could kick till I couldn't kick anymore. I still hadn't thought about the sub 18. That was until about 400m out. **** I was very close. I kicked on again I was closing in on second place. I was seeing blurred version now. Arrrggggggggggggg come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! Felt like I was sprinting. I never pushed so hard this was pure heart now.

.1 (24)

Looking back at the watch data I was hitting 4:30 pace during the last kick. I think I was screaming through the finish line or I was just out of my mind. I would need to verify with witnesses if I came through screaming but it felt that way. When I did come through though I lay on the ground. Newbridge came over asking what did you do. I checked the watch and what a feeling to see 17:55. One of the stewards came over the see was I ok I replied this is ok this is how feeling great is! I was up now and my kids came running down the street and had missed this epic finish. You know regardless of the time this was my best race ever and loved it from start to finish.

We went back to the hall and they had the best chocolate cakes I have ever tasted. Had a lovely time as our club took first place in the men’s and women’s 10k. I placed 3rd and lots of PB's from the rest of the guys. It was lovely meeting the Newbridge crew and would love to link up with them in some way either training or racing as they have some good runners.

A club mate and I went back to our track and ran two easy miles. The rest of the day was spent with the family at the tractor run. I had a meal with just me and the missus and met up with some friends for a few drinks. well I drank non-alcoholic stuff. The End!

Advertisement