Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Brilliant report, crazy running as usual Wolf :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Great run, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Sat 05/07/14

13 miles easy (8:30 avg)

Decided to check the resting heart rate (37 bpm) just to make sure everything is in order. I will check again on an easy week to compare. Wore the HRM for the run with the first half rather slow with the group. My hr was 55% of max. Second half we got to around 7:44 pace and it was 65-70%. Will check again soon as I don't know what to take from it. My legs had a good bit of fatigue so I am looking forward to my day off tomorrow. Very tough weeks training and am happy with my progress.

Fri 04/07/14

5 miles recovery + 5 miles steady

First time in a while that I got up and out onto the road at 5:50 before work. Heard the rain and didn't want to run from the bus and risk having wet gear for run two. The second run ended up a tad fast with a few steady miles.

Thurs 03/07/14

5.5 miles /w 5k @ Brothers Pearse Race (18:26)

Our club have been doing a bit of socializing with the lads and lassies. We got an invite down as they had their C25k graduation and put on a fun 5k race. They let the slower guys off first and me and other lad from their club (I think) got to go last. All the stewards called him by name so I guess he is local.

I only wanted to hit 6 min pace to put it down as a hard tempo. I felt very comfortable for the entire time. I enjoyed running with the local lad and got a lovely burger afterwards. Splits where (6:00,5:50,6:00 with 5 min pace for the finish). Would have liked to hit 5:50 for the third but hot traffic and was difficult to get by at times. I was on the hunt for boards members and I did find and say hello to Pvincent. Good little course and setup this was.

Wed 02/07/14

5 miles recovery + 4 miles recovery

I had no choice but to run slow. I even stopped after 4 on the second run me being a good wolfie!

Tues 01/07/14

5 miles easy + 6 miles /w 12 x 400 off 90

It was a month since I did some really fast paced intervals. I'll be visiting Tallaght for these soon to practice for a graded meet 800 and 1500 to see what I've got. The plan for the session was to hit 72-73.

(Splits 71,73,73,70,72,72,72,73,73,74,73,70)

It will be interesting to see how this goes in Tallaght next month. Our track is 415 meters long I think and the 4 corners are tough at this pace plus loose footing. During the first block of 4 reps I didn't think I could keep going. I thought about slowing the pace. I think the thought of this helped me relax and I seem to go well from then on. Someone got in my way on the 10th :) and then had an Amk finish!

Mon 30/06/14
    5 miles easy + 5 miles easy

I find it difficult to run slow after a race so I just floated along. Felt a little tired today.

Just ran 4:53 for my mile time trail! Wahoo!

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Just ran 4:53 for my mile time trail! Wahoo!

Nice...

• Advertisement

Sat 12/07/14

13 miles with some steady miles on scenic terrain outside Tullow. (7:40 avg). Easy week next week with a planned park run. This is what has been working. Bought a pair of spikes for the track meets and will try them out in Tallaght in a couple of weeks. Should I wear them for the 1500? Will dip my toe in the water on the 1500 then onto the 400 and 800 later in August.

Fri 11/07/14

5 miles recovery + 5 miles recovery :)

Thurs 10/07/14

4 miles easy + 6 miles /w 8 x 600 of 2 mins at mile pace

Splits (1:52,1:53,1:52,1:54,1:52,1:52,1:53,1:54)

Someone of the new guys got in my way on the 4th and last rep. The last rep more so and I really worked the final 200. Coach had us run relaxed the first 200 pick it up the next 200 and run strong when the last 200 start to hurt. This was a really solid session and the final hard effort for two weeks.

Wed 09/07/14

6 miles steady + 4 miles recovery

Tues 08/07/14

5 miles include 1 mile 4:53 time trail

Had this planned for the past week but kept it quiet. My son was admitted to hospital due to illness and I was cancelling the attempt. I was ordered home with the kids and Mrs. Wolf said you go do the mile bring the kids. I was not allowed say no. Lucky guy I am to have should support. I was a bit wrecked with the pressure of trying to get out of work and up to the hospital. You know the worry of my son can sometimes make me more tired than a 20 mile run.

So off I went with my other two kids in tow to the running track. My youngest was running lap after lap during the warm up. At the age of 4 years she is already showing talent.

After the warmup some of the club members hung around to cheer me on. Some even running a lap to try help me on. Lap one was right on pace 74 seconds followed by another 73. The first two laps I was very strong but the third lap I started to work a little but not over working. On the final lap I nailed it dropping off the seconds needed for the sub 5.

Coach says this sets me up for sub 4:35 for the 1500 and he says on the track in Tallaght I will run faster. I'm delighted with this and another milestone reached.

Mon 07/07/14

5 miles easy + 5 miles easy

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Very well done wolfie. Hope your son is doing OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

cianc wrote: »
    Very well done wolfie. Hope your son is doing OK.

+1

Thanks lads he is doing good now. I should have wrote that. He had a bug and we couldn't get him to take fluids and was dehydrated. All good now.

Sat 19/07/14

13.1 miles @ 6:35 (1:26:30 PB)

Tommy and I went out for a 50 min run that turned out us running up Sally gap. Having someone like this to run with has really helped me. A good few climbs during this run and some epic views made this a run to remember. Didn't feel under pressure to much and was surprised I held up so well. This was my easy week. I ran 5 miles less than last week and had some great runs and polished of the week with an epic run with a good friend!

Fri 18/07/14

8 miles @ 6:50 pace

Same run as yesterday minus the hill charge. This was 100 times easier and I could chat with Tommy today and we joked about yesterday. Some good miles in my legs this week. For some reason my legs are in great shape after the faster pace.

Thurs 17/07/14

8 miles @ 6:45 pace

Out with a friend for this one and I wanted to entertain him while he jogged beside me. The plan for this run was to hit a big hill in the first couple of miles hard and charge up it. The Idea was to get the heart rate up high and maintain pace afterwards so as to be a hard run. Worked out and I wore the HRM and was up around 93% after the hill for rest of the run. I just decide on these sessions on the fly when I feel I need them. Great strength I get from them.

Wed 16/07/14

5 miles + 5 miles @ 7 min pace

Both morning and afternoon runs I was cursing along in flying form didn't want to hold back.

Tues 15/07/14

5.5 miles /w 2 x 200,400,600,400,200 @ mile pace

Splits (41, 1:16, 1:57, 1:16, 38, 38, 1:13, 1:53, 1:14, 37)

Started off slow as I didn't want to push to hard and this was to be handy. Very strong throughout and got faster in the second half without trying. It was very warm and humid I was on my own out in front.

5 miles slow recovery

Out with the Boss on the canal at a slower than recovery pace run.

Mon 14/07/14

4 miles easy

The plan for the week is to take it handy on reduced mileage.

Sun 13/07/14

Rest day

• Advertisement

New Garmin is cool with the calendar! See week attached.

2nd place in 1500 c in 4:26! My first time racing track and much room for improvement! Loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

2nd place in 1500 c in 4:26! My first time racing track and much room for improvement! Loved it!

Good work. Make sure to do the 400 in 2 weeks time. There could he hidden talent in there.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Good work. Make sure to do the 400 in 2 weeks time. There could he hidden talent in there.

Yes I promised I would. I'm doing both the 400 and 800. Sub 54 and Sub 2:09.

A 53 second 400 is comfortably superior than a 2:08 and 4:26. If you run that time you'll need to seriously question where your athletic priorities lie. You could be a 100/200 guy for all you know. Seems like you get faster as the distance gets shorter.

A 53 second 400 is comfortably superior than a 2:08 and 4:26. If you run that time you'll need to seriously question where your athletic priorities lie. You could be a 100/200 guy for all you know. Seems like you get faster as the distance gets shorter.

Them lads are body builders compared to me though. I have a coach and I trust his direction. I will run the best I can in the 400/800 and take it from there.

Them lads are body builders compared to me though. I have a coach and I trust his direction. I will run the best I can in the 400/800 and take it from there.

If you run a 53, then hopefully your coach will do the right thing and recommend you not be a distance runner.

Where are you doing these wolf?

Where are you doing these wolf?

20th August Irish Town. Little birdie told me that the venue may be changed. Keep on eye on the graded meet thread I'll post there if I get details. Or keep an eye here;

http://www.dublinathletics.com/attachments/article/308/Graded%20Book%202014.doc

20th August Irish Town. Little birdie told me that the venue may be changed. Keep on eye on the graded meet thread I'll post there if I get details. Or keep an eye here;

http://www.dublinathletics.com/attachments/article/308/Graded%20Book%202014.doc

Good stuff, best of luck with it. Might pop out for a gander, not too far from work...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

If you run a 53, then hopefully your coach will do the right thing and recommend you not be a distance runner.

Time to pull a Jerry Kiernan :D

Suppose depends on how you look at it, 53 base speed would probably put you in the realms of about 1.59-2.02 for 800 and 4.10ish for 1500m with specific training. Would make you alot more competitive in many races especially bringing the tactic element into it.

Great Race wolfie fair play great to see, had a feeling you would bust out a decent 1500 here looking at your recent training it looks conducive to it. Keep up the good work

ecoli wrote: »

Suppose depends on how you look at it, 53 base speed would probably put you in the realms of about 1.59-2.02 for 800 and 4.10ish for 1500m with specific training. Would make you alot more competitive in many races especially bringing the tactic element into it.

Great Race wolfie fair play great to see, had a feeling you would bust out a decent 1500 here looking at your recent training it looks conducive to it. Keep up the good work

If somebody can run 53 off no specific training, and is struggling to run under 18 minutes for 5K and is only running 4:26 despite plenty of training, then he/she is not a distance runner no matter what way you spin it. :)

If somebody can run 53 off no specific training, and is struggling to run under 18 minutes for 5K and is only running 4:26 despite plenty of training, then he/she is not a distance runner no matter what way you spin it. :)

At the moment the 53 is still hypothetical but looking at training I would say he is already training as a miler based off sessions, mileage intensity etc.

Also factor in this was wolfies first track race and as such their may have been tactical or pace naivety which means that depending on how it was run there could be a bit more time got at the exact same fitness levels. Remember he also ran 1.26 for HM in training previously so it could just be a lack of Vo2 max style work making the 5k and anomaly (although I would say he has push on a level recently and will probably see improvement come his next 5k)

At the moment the 53 is still hypothetical but looking at training I would say he is already training as a miler based off sessions, mileage intensity etc.

Also factor in this was wolfies first track race and as such their may have been tactical or pace naivety which means that depending on how it was run there could be a bit more time got at the exact same fitness levels. Remember he also ran 1.26 for HM in training previously so it could just be a lack of Vo2 max style work making the 5k and anomaly (although I would say he has push on a level recently and will probably see improvement come his next 5k)

I think, if his 55 on a rubbish oversized track, without spikes, on his own, at the end of a session is true, then he has the potential to be a strong sub 50 runner and make a national final. I wouldn't be wasting my time with sub 2 or 4:10 if that's the case.

I reckon he should try all the distances including 100 and 200 to see where his talent lies. But doing the 800 after the 400 is optimistic. If he runs the 400 properly he shouldn't have anything left for the 800.

Agree though, the 53 is very hypothetical. He has to go out and do the business first. Might come down to watch. I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Agreed. Low 50s base speed is a really good asset for middle distance and above. You should develop that speed over time with specific sessions, which your coach will give you, and you'll get into more competitive times at 800/1500.

For 5k, decent base speed gives you the benefit of both a kick and feeling very comfortable at 5k pace - I certainly found that going from mile to 5k sessions. A 5k race won't feel as hard as it does for a marathon runner!

Apart from that, do what you enjoy! As long as you enjoy your training, are motivated by and believe in your training (and it sounds like you trust your coach), you'll improve.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Agreed. Low 50s base speed is a really good asset for middle distance and above. You should develop that speed over time with specific sessions, which your coach will give you, and you'll get into more competitive times at 800/1500.

For 5k, decent base speed gives you the benefit of both a kick and feeling very comfortable at 5k pace - I certainly found that going from mile to 5k sessions. A 5k race won't feel as hard as it does for a marathon runner!

Or base speed of low 50s shows that with actual speed development, speed endurance, and strength work in the gym he could go sub 50, maybe better.

Or base speed of low 50s shows that with actual speed development, speed endurance, and strength work in the gym he could go sub 50, maybe better.

Could you not argue that for the longer distances? scope for potential without aerobic and anaerobic training means you need to look a little beyond the performance itself

Main thing is he is enjoying what he is doing and by the sounds of things he is.

Could you not argue that for the longer distances? scope for potential without aerobic and anaerobic training means you need to look a little beyond the performance itself

Main thing is he is enjoying what he is doing and by the sounds of things he is.

Yeh, there's always more scope for improvement in longer distances. I just first want to rule out the possibility that we have some 10.7 second freak trying to become a 16 min 5k runner.

Yeh, there's always more scope for improvement in longer distances. I just first want to rule out the possibility that we have some 10.7 second freak trying to become a 16 min 5k runner.

But he wants to train, not swan around the track for 3 hours with his foam roller doing a session of 8 x strut/pose with 60m sprint recoveries ;)

• Advertisement

But he wants to train, not swan around the track for 3 hours with his foam roller doing a session of 8 x strut/pose with 60m sprint recoveries ;)

Even us 400m runners take the piss out of the 100/200 guys. Anytime we are given a filthy session they seem to be doing the above! :eek:

Advertisement