Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Ah lads thanks for all the posts, I was nearly giving up on the log due to lack of interest/discussion. This is great. I will fill in the last few weeks soon and report last night plus video maybe. Some quick points that maybe of interest;

Last week while lying on sofa at 5pm my resting heart rate reached an all time low of 33.
    The week prior to last night consisted of a session of 13 (Lost count) x 400 at 72-74 seconds of 90s, 3 x 40-42min 6 mile progression runs over 2 days and a 1:28 13 miler in a 61 mile week. This is the way I like to train. I got boxed in last night and could have maybe pushed the pace a little better at the start but hay I'm a baby! I will write a full report after viewing the video a million times :) I think if I did some 3x2k or 5x1k at a good pace it may improve my 5k times. I am just trying to get an idea of top end speed using the shorter races in the hope to develop/bring over to the longer stuff. I wouldn't be thinking of a 16 min 5k more like 13 minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    I wouldn't be thinking of a 16 min 5k more like 13 minute.

yeah, you know the national record is 13.03? And this year's senior championship was won in 14.xx? :)

RayCun wrote: »
    yeah, you know the national record is 13.03? And this year's senior championship was won in 14.xx? :)

I'll take a rain check pending review!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ah thanks for that. I'd say if we both got out in front from the start and not had to surge to get out we would have ran a better time. Cheers fella!

• Advertisement

Few weeks behind will catch up soon.

Sun 27/07/14

13 miles (easy 8:00 pace)

Long run on tough course with a mate. Just took it handy and kept the pace slow.

Sat 26/07/14

6 miles /w 5k park run (17:57)

The purpose of this run was to be a tempo run. I was a little tired and muscles fatigued. I was actually thinking of not doing it.

I got to the start line and during the warmup I seemed to awaken. We set off and I was straight into the lead and a big gap was opening. A quick look at watch I knew 5 min pace was to hot. I slowed and some heavey breather stomped by. I thought this won't last long and smiled. The pace felt really comfortable and I was moving well. After about half a mile a young Naas AC guy took me over. For the next half mile he done the work and them I moved forward again taking on some of the task. I was feeling very good or maybe starting to get more comfortable with the pace. Coach said this would start to happen once I got used to it. So just around the 1.5 mile mark Naas guy tries to pull forward and I pushed on. So for the next half mile we were side by side. Coming in into the last mile I started to fade and was starting to race which was not the purpose. I politely said sorry as I dropped off slightly. He shouted back asking for me to try hang on which I did. He ended up finishing about 14 seconds ahead of me. I was very surprised that I did it 4 seconds slower than my PB on a much tougher course at a much easier effort. Result!

Fri 25/07/14

Pre race rest day
    Thurs 24/07/14

8 miles steady (7:00 pace) + 4 mile recovery (8:53 pace)

Wed 23/07/14

5 miles recovery (8:16 pace) + 5 miles /w 6 x 400 @ Tallaght track

(Splits 68,69,71,69,71,71)

This was my first time to run on a real track and to wear spikes. I got there early and was waiting to be let in just scanning the track visualizing and dreaming ;) I felt I had found my home after being lost all my life. The purpose of the session was just to get used to the feel of the track and the spikes. Very strong session and really enjoyed it.

Tues 22/07/14

5 miles steady (7:15 pace) + 5 miles /w 4 x 800 @ 6:30 pace

Mon 21/07/14

5 miles easy (7:33 pace) + 5 miles easy (7:36 pace)

Sun 20/07/14

Rest day

Ok here is another week. Heading out now for long run so will update this week included the Graded meet race report next.

Sun 03/08/14

Rest day

Sat 02/08/14

13 miles long run with stuff (6:49 pace)

This week has had great quality,13 miles in 1:28 today (7:34,7:14,7:00,7:06,7:02,6:49,7:07,6:50,6:32,6:20,6:28,6:17,6:11) hit hill mile 7 :)

I have entered a new state of fitness this was a great aerobic working. Felt great and the rain, heat and hills didn't stop me. Hopefully I didn't over do it this week and the Graded meet 1500 will go well. I'm hoping to go sub 4:30 as I think that is where I am.

Fri 01/08/14

6 miles recovery (8:15 pace)

Needed this today after the last few days. I'm loving this route in Wexford 2x laps = 6 miles. Nice and rolley nearly like lakes 10k route you get a few interesting bits just not as long. Feel like I'm in a training camp and getting a family holiday together.

Thurs 31/07/14

6 miles progression (7:00) + 6 miles progression (7:00)

Both runs on a nice rolley route at a nice pace. Worked down from 7:15ish down to 6:00 min pace again very comfortable. These are my bread and butter runs and I swear by them.

Wed 30/07/13

5 miles easy (7:41 pace)+6 miles progression (6:45 pace)

Down in Wexford and the weather is great top off for the second run. I worked down from 7:00-6:12 pace was very comfortable.

Tues 29/07/14

6 miles /w 13 x 400 off 90s at Tallaght Track

(72,73,73,73,74,73,74,74,74,74,73,73,69) I finished very strong! Next time will do 75s recoveries! Been talking to coach about reducing the recovery so may start that soon. Next time on this Track will be for the Graded meet 8 for the 1500. I am really enjoying the track even if I've only ran on it twice! Off to Wexford for a week.

3 miles slow on Beech

After a long drive to Wexford, the heat and this mornings track session all I needed was for the tide to be in. The soft sand made it difficult so at mile 3 I stopped and walked back. I was feeling a little sick so not rocking the boat.

Mon 28/07/14

4 miles /w 2 steady + 6 miles easy (7:36 pace)

Now all up to date now.

Sat 09/08/14

14.1 miles including 13.1 Blessington Trackaton Half marathon (1:22:46)

Our club runs this annual Half marathon and 10k on the 400 meter cinder track for local charities. I was pacing a club mate to a 1:26 as it doesn't really take much out of me. I felt I was jogging most of it picked up pace for last few miles. Shocked at the time (1:22:46) but both our Garmins recorded the same. Coolabula!

Fri 08/08/14

8 miles steady (6:46 pace) + 4 miles recovery on grass (8:55 pace)

Out with coach for a nice steady run and a catch up. He says that the 1500 is my best run out of every thing. He wants me to really push the 400 on the 20th. He will make a decision then what we will do. He has said we will move up and down to see what best suits me.

Thurs 07/08/14

5 miles easy (7:28) + 4 miles /w 12 x 200 off 60s long recovery

Easy session of 200's on the cinder track. Oh them sharp bends slow me down. Was experimenting with form and technique. Handy enough but would like to get the times down before the 400 attempt. I say they will be better in Tallaght.

(34,34,34,34,33,33,34,33,34,34,34,31)

Wed 06/08/14

3 miles slow + 3 miles including 1500 Graded meet at Tallaght

Well my debut arrived and the nervousness hit an hour or two before race time. I took the day off to chill out, yes that is how much I love running. I had some personal things to attend to also.

Got to the track at 7 to register and have a look at some races and get the feel for the place. I just done some easy warmup and then when some of the women's 1500 was passing I would stride out. Did some strides just before the C and D grade lined up. I was going to do the D but decided to change as I thought the D would be to easy.

This was all new to me and coach said to just use it to get the experience. But I wanted to win and I was going to try. We lined out and off we went like a heard of cattle running for their lives. Bit dodgy I must say and I had to be on the ball and managed to get out into 3rd during the first lap. During second lap I got boxed in the the leader started to get away. Pace was feeling really easy. I felt a bit iffy as I was close to getting clipped and some lad was all elbows. Maybe I need to fight back a bit in future or just get out in front and stay there. I slowed a little to come out behind from the inside and over take the group in a slingshot move. I used a good bit of boost to get back into second just coming out of the first 100 of lap 2. The leader started to pull off and I went with him. I was right on him until the last 200 where he was slipping away a little. I couldn't respond and seemed stuck in gear. If I had of got into high speed I would have had a better chance. He finished 2 seconds ahead. All the lads seemed like they pushed much harder then me. I just couldn't get the speed up in the last 200. Delighted with 2nd in 4:26. Shame the season is over but will be back for the 400/800 on the 20th August.

Tues 05/08/14

Pre race rest day.

Mon 04/08/14

6 miles easy (7:41 pace) + 6 miles easy (7:18)

Last day in Wexford today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BOSWOLLOX

Hi well done on your first track race. Good to talk afterwards. Was scary getting chased by a wolf. Good luck in the 400/800, I am more than happy to keep clear of them lol. Maybe see you in the XC

BOSWOLLOX wrote: »
    Hi well done on your first track race. Good to talk afterwards. Was scary getting chased by a wolf. Good luck in the 400/800, I am more than happy to keep clear of them lol. Maybe see you in the XC

Cheers mate was nice to meet you. Hopefully we will meet again. Will be doing XC so will likely see you then.

• Advertisement

Sat 16/08/14

14 miles long slow run (8:05)

Last night I could feel some tightness in my legs so arranged a massage for later Saturday evening. I have been following a good daily stretching program consisting of Yoga, static and AIS ETC. Some odd foam rolling and slitter work plus daily golf ball work on the feet. But with the heavy load I think it is best to catch now before it's too late. I have two full rest days between this run and Monday.

I met up with Tommy for the first 5 miles then joining our club run for a few miles. I broke away with one of our members and we jogged back at nearly 9 min pace for the last few miles. Time for some TLC and get the body recovered for the next two weeks before recovery week in Spain. I'll come back and race all out in our Club 10k! :)

Fri 15/08/14

5 miles steady (7:05) + 4 miles recovery (7:55)

Thurs 14/08/14

6 miles /w 6 x 400 off 60s + 4 miles steady (6:51)

(Splits 71,71,72,71,70,73)

Did the session with Tommy and the run later that day. He only let me do 6 as firstly was short recoveries and secondly he is not letting me over train! Tommy did some extra reps as I watched him zip around. Next time he will allow me do some more when I didn't have too much quality sessions in my legs. Tallaght track rocks!

Wed 13/08/14

5 miles recovery on grass (8:17 pace) + 4 miles steady with Tommy (6:49)

Tues 12/08/14

5 miles easy + club session 7 miles /w 2-1-1 miles @ Tempo (5:40 pace)off 5 min jog

(Splits 5:41,5:41+5:40+5:39)

Was tired and was worried about hitting the session. I was a bit stiff and still recovering from the half Saturday. It was on the cinder track so was not to bad. Pace felt like 5k so I guess I was in the right zone. It didn't kill me and finished strong. Plan next week is 2-2-1-1.

Mon 11/08/14

5 miles recovery jog (8:00 pace) + 5 miles recovery jog (8:00 min pace)

Sun 10/08/14

Rest day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Best of luck for the 4 on Wednesday.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Best of luck for the 4 on Wednesday.

Can't make it for a host of reasons. Maybe another time if it fits in!

Sun 24/08/14

7 miles /w Celbridge 5k (18:11) + 5 miles recovery

Well I made the start line albeit a tad iffy after nearly zero sleep. Lovely place Castletown House and it had a great vibe about the place. Only the coach and the nearest to me knew I was going. I got my number and walked around for a bit because I was really early.

I warmed up by running 2 miles at easy pace around the grounds. Bumped into John Travers later and it was a minute before I realized who I was talking to. Sound guy and didn't seem to come across as an elitist!

Did a few strides/drills before lining up. The gun went off soon enough and I started in behind the chase group. I had my eyes on a Newbridge guy who was around 17 min pace. Seemed to be right on pace by the end of mile 1 (5:30).

Something happened here I don't quiet know but the group ahead was pulling away to fast and I was being taking over by a few. I glanced at the watch and I was hitting 6 min pace. I was hit with this awful feeling it knocked me for 7. Thinking back I think I went out to fast and when I leveled off I slowed to much and got stuck in the pace. I went into meltdown and wanted to just stop. Mile 2 (5:55).

I felt awful and think I just wussed out and got so full of fear/doubt it drained me. I went though it in my head, like I am able to hold the pace in training but put me in a race with loads of people and I give up. People passing me that should have not been considering the shape my training indicates. Mile 3 (6:00)

At this stage I got my concentration and form back during the last mile because once I start passing people I was back to 5:30 pace looking back at garmin data. That third mile might have been much slower had I not picked it up. I ran the last 800 at a good pace. I just ran an easy 2 cool down miles and headed home. I just wanted to get out of there quickly.

I met with my coach for my recovery run later. He thinks it's a confidence thing that in a race with a good field it seems to make me loose my concentration. He said it was a good time anyway and we can work on the racing a bit more. He wants me backing of the tough sessions and use the effort to race more races with strong fields. He thinks I should have ran 17:11 today going by my training efforts.

I can put out lots of excuses but what I'm taking from today is I just need more racing experience. A similar thing happened in Terrenure so maybe running more races I might just get used to it and not run badly.

Sat 23/08/14

Rest

I'm consuming my limit of vitamin c and eating well. Few rough nights sleep with work related night tremors. Also holiday mode has fully set in and all the family are excited even if we all got colds. I told them if they ran like me they wouldn't be as sick, they got a bad dose poor guys.

Fri 22/08/13

6 miles easy (7:18 pace) + 4 miles recovery on grass (8:06)

I'm not recovering as I normally would and can't seem to shake this cold. Might give the race a miss.

Thurs 21/08/14

6 miles steady (6:53 pace) + 4 miles steady (6:33 pace)

Feeling a bit better today. Ran both of these with the coach. We agreed that I back off the training focus and switch to focus on peak racing. Will use Celbridge 5k on Sunday for experience with a good strong field before I go to Spain to recover for the Lakes Blessington and Rathfarnam peak runs.

Wed 20/08/14

4 miles (9:15 pace) on grass

Eh ok I'm not well that's all for today. Will switch Thursday track session with weekend 5k.

Tues 19/08/14

4 miles easy (7:08 pace)+ 11 miles session 2-2-1-1 miles (5:37,5:42)+(5:44,5:45)5 min jog (5:40) 3 min jog (5:39)

My house is full of sickness but I seem to have gotten away lightly. That was until I did this session. It felt a lot harder then I would have liked and my nose was like a tap. I got through it but it did feel like 5k pace and maybe actually harder which is worrying.

Mon 18/08/14

5 miles easy (7:18 pace) + 8 miles steady (6:58)

Was out at football tournament with my son in the cold, wind and rain yesterday. Woke with a stuffed up nose and feeling a little wiped.

Sun 17/08/14

Rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Haha - excellent. Looking at your training, I think your coach might have been a few seconds out: more like 17:13. Good man, A. - great report.

Hope the family is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Don't take this the wrong way as it's certainly not intended as a negative comment but you rarely seem to race well relative to your training.

Maybe for your next race, don't get bogged down pre race on what you should be doing it, forget about the garmin and leave it at home, don't man mark and just go out and run as hard and fast as you can.

Stazza wrote: »
    Haha - excellent. Looking at your training, I think your coach might have been a few seconds out: more like 17:13. Good man, A. - great report.

Hope the family is ok.

Thanks bud!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way as it's certainly not intended as a negative comment but you rarely seem to race well relative to your training.

Maybe for your next race, don't get bogged down pre race on what you should be doing it, forget about the garmin and leave it at home, don't man mark and just go out and run as hard and fast as you can.

Non taking I totally agree. I know where the weakness is and why. Over coming this is more important than any race time not only for me but a wider community! I try not get hung up on excuses. I like to find ways to weaken/remove the barriers! Now to find some explosives......

Hey thewolf, can you post a link to your last tempo session? Be curious to take a look given the significant disconnect between your tempo pace and 5k times. On the race stress front, it doesn't make a lot of sense, given how well you performed in the 1500m. Certainly in my experience, that would have been a far more stressful environment than any road race.

Hey thewolf, can you post a link to your last tempo session? Be curious to take a look given the significant disconnect between your tempo pace and 5k times. On the race stress front, it doesn't make a lot of sense, given how well you performed in the 1500m. Certainly in my experience, that would have been a far more stressful environment than any road race.

I think I was my most confident on the Tallaght Track. Couple of reasons why; I had been there before, was not busy and was smaller number in the race and supporting. My family were there too which make me "Happy". Any fear of failure and hopelessness gets in and I shutdown. This is the area I need to work on and become mental tough.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/splits/569119914

• Advertisement

Ok for the record I have what's called High Functioning Autism. For me this makes dealing with busy places and crowds a tad bit different. But i'm 32 years in the game so I will learn to cope as I always do! Once I develop a solid coping skill you guys are fecked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Ok for the record I have what's called High Functioning Autism. For me this makes dealing with busy places and crowds a tad bit different. But i'm 32 years in the game so I will learn to cope as I always do! Once I develop a solid coping skill you guys are fecked!

Just a thought- reading back through your training you seem to really benefit from time trialling as it gives you the confidence to go out and replicate a good time trial in a race (see progression from your mile trial to that good 1500) Would you not get someone you trust to pace you through a 5k/ 10k in order to set a marker w/ no pressure/ others around and then spring off that to your next race..

Just a thought and thanks for sharing on the high functioning autism stuff- just shows you never know what people cope w/ in their lives !

I think I was my most confident on the Tallaght Track. Couple of reasons why; I had been there before, was not busy and was smaller number in the race and supporting. My family were there too which make me "Happy". Any fear of failure and hopelessness gets in and I shutdown. This is the area I need to work on and become mental tough.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/splits/569119914
    Cheers. I was a little concerned that you might be using your 'non-standard distance' track and using the Garmin's average pace figures to track your effort levels, which could give you slightly inflated threshold/tempo numbers. For example, if you look at my session from last Wednesday and take a look at my third split, it has the following:

Time: 16:46
    Distance: 3.20 (miles)
    Avg Pace: 5:14

which looks great, but the reality is actually:
    Distance: 2.98 (miles)
    Avg Pace: 5:37

As you can see, that's a pretty phenomenal difference, caused by the inaccuracy of Garmin watches on a track (or tight-angled circuit). So just be wary about using numbers like this to determine targets or training paces. Your 1500 is rock solid though and should be the basis for your times (at least for shorter distances).

From a race stress perspective, I'm happiest on the roads (where I do most of my training) and find the track-racing environment significantly less comfortable. Maybe that's another indication that you're just built for shorter distances on the track? At the end of the day, it comes down to what we enjoy most, but your 1500 is a world apart from your 5k times.

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Just a thought- reading back through your training you seem to really benefit from time trialling as it gives you the confidence to go out and replicate a good time trial in a race (see progression from your mile trial to that good 1500) Would you not get someone you trust to pace you through a 5k/ 10k in order to set a marker w/ no pressure/ others around and then spring off that to your next race..

Just a thought and thanks for sharing on the high functioning autism stuff- just shows you never know what people cope w/ in their lives !

Really good point and it is something that works and will try again. There are so many other factors that come into play. On another day I may have not fell apart as easily. But new places and being on my own I reckon triggered what I call a meltdown. Funnily enough I race well in the city centre and can handle way bigger crowds simply because I grow up there and am familiar to the surrounds. Take my son for example if we take a different route he would near die a death. But he is a lot more autistic than me and has a lot less years of experience with unelected change. When I see things I know I relax like what happened in Tallaght it was nothing new to me I had been there. I love the Tallaght track also and it makes me feel happy and at home which allows me to preform well.

I'm am glad to share it and is one of the very few times I have put it out there. I do believe this will help me so you guys are great and welcome the positive comments.

Cheers. I was a little concerned that you might be using your 'non-standard distance' track and using the Garmin's average pace figures to track your effort levels, which could give you slightly inflated threshold/tempo numbers. For example, if you look at my session from last Wednesday and take a look at my third split, it has the following:

Distance: 3.20 (miles)
    Avg Pace: 5:14

which looks great, but the reality is actually:
    Distance: 2.98 (miles)
    Avg Pace: 5:37

As you can see, that's a pretty phenomenal difference, caused by the inaccuracy of Garmin watches on a track (or tight-angled circuit). So just be wary about using numbers like this to determine targets or training paces. Your 1500 is rock solid though and should be the basis for your times (at least for shorter distances).

From a race stress perspective, I'm happiest on the roads (where I do most of my training) and find the track-racing environment significantly less comfortable. Maybe that's another indication that you're just built for shorter distances on the track? At the end of the day, it comes down to what we enjoy most, but your 1500 is a world apart from your 5k times.

Yes I always bare that in mind our track is officially 415 and my watch the 405tx seems to always get the mile right. The odd time is makes me run a bit longer but there is rare. I always go by the time it took to complete rather than the pace.

This is it I'm still only 2 years running and have a long way to go. Next season my focus is to peak for the track using 1500, 3000 and 5000 and if I can get a 10,00o sweet. I will use road racing as tempos but the focus is the 5k! I love love love it! After Rathfarnham I will go into mileage mode and just do easy miles while getting up to 80 MPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You should have a good race on home turf so in the 10k!
    You could run the Rathfarnham route ahead of time too, there are only a few small road crossings on the loop so its easy to do the circuit in training, even at close to race pace.

RayCun wrote: »
    You should have a good race on home turf so in the 10k!
    You could run the Rathfarnham route ahead of time too, there are only a few small road crossings on the loop so its easy to do the circuit in training, even at close to race pace.

Oh yes the above will be proven when I'm king of the hill!

Will get down to Rathfarnham for sure!

Sun 07/09/14

7 miles steady (6:50 pace) + 3 miles steady (7:00 pace)

My body has to transition to slower pace ;)

Sat 06/09/14

11.2 miles including The Lakes 10k (37:44) + 5 miles steady post race

As it was my Club race I wanted to give it my best effort. I had the previous week with 10 less miles and was coming into the race with only 20 miles in my legs for the week so far. I had decided with coach that I was to forget the watch and just focus on running it as hard as I could. I wanted to come away with feeling like I gave my all.

I arrived early as the missus and my eldest son was helping out. The place was buzzing and loud which I always struggling with. Lots of new faces which takes a lot of energy for me to process. I thought it best to go off and warm up and avoid the crowds. I bumped into a few familiars which relaxed me. I was starting to see lots of faces I knew one of which was Fitza who is lovely!

I returned to the race HQ to change into flats and it was even busier. I went out onto the road to do some strides before the race started. After this I hid alone in the car park to get focused until it was time to go to the start area. I was starting to see familiar faces which calmed my nerves.

One big thing that helped me keep my focus was a brothers Pearse runner that had come to one of our social runs before. I slotted in behind him as he was ahead of me the last time. This was perfect as I was telling my self it was just a social run just like before.

1-3 miles

Anyone that has done this race knows it is flawless and I knew exactly what to expect. This is very important as the less new things I have to process the better. If you know about sensory processing disorder than you will know that a large amount of my energy can be sucked to deal with these systems. I decided to start back a bit from the front to try not go out as fast. There was little movement in the first mile which after that I can't remember being passed. This was my first successful move as being over taken a lot does me no good. I settled into an effort for the next two miles which I felt was just hard enough to hold. Again I seen the Brothers Pearce runner which helped relax me. Just a club social run I was repeating.

Mile 4-6

Taking the sharp bend just before 6k felt awkward and sloppy. The joys of being tall. The section here is pretty fast before the hill so you bank some time. I slowed on the hill and maintained effort before pounding down the other side. I could still see the brothers pearse runner but rather than focus on catching home I decided to focus on holding the effort. During the last mile I was catching runners one in particular was not letting me by. Each time I made a move to get by he blocked me. Thought this was bad form but I continued until he had no effort left to block me. I could hear him struggle as I zoomed on. I pushed really hard as to make him hurt and I heard him huff and puff. I waited till I was out of ear short to let a grown!

The last stretch was all out painful. I pushed and pushed and the legs were wobbling from the effort I was giving. I let out a roar coming through the finishing area before lying on the ground. The missus poured water over me I could barely tell her to stop. My son said I was flying along at the finish and running well afterwards, this was lovely and made my day that he seen me give it everything.

Well the main things are that I gave a great effort that I am please with, my coach is delighted, my family and my club mates also. I got a big PB of over a minute which I set 6 months ago.

The plan now is no more sessions and to race some more over 5k before ending my season after Rathfarnham and taking a week off.

Fri 05/09/14

Off

Thurs 04/09/14

5 miles /w 6 strides 17s @ 4:20ish

Went down the club and hooked up with one of the lads. 3 mile warm up followed by some strides to wake the legs up.

Wed 03/09/14

5 miles recovery (8 min pace)

Last run in the sun.

Tues 02/09/14

5 miles easy (7:32 pace)

Decided to slow it down as I'm tired from all the walking around in sandals in very hot weather. Was in Portaventura and heading to a waterpark today. I think some of this activity is equivalent to a run.

Mon 01/09/14

5 miles steady (7:13 pace)

Plan is the run steady up until Wednesday but on reduced Milage to get a nice recovery.

Sun 31/08/14

6 miles (easy 7:36 pace)

Took it easier today but went out later in 37 degree heat. I enjoyed this, some of the runners I passed looked in an awful state. No bloody urine so my bladder has repaired and I'm fully hydrated. I have been drinking powerade.

Sat 30/08/14

6 miles steady (7:18 pace)

With the heat the pace felt tougher than usual. I've come out of a tough round of training I'm on holidays so it is hard to judge. After two passes of urine the blood cleared. This happened me in warm weather last year.

Fri 29/08/14

5 miles (8 min pace)

I got up early for this and was still 22+ degrees. I was tired and felt tough. I voided my bladder and ended up with bloody urine for two days. Took 4 passes to clear today. Other than this the plan is to only run once a day for a recovery week.

Thurs 28/08/14

Off - Flew to Spain.

Wed 27/08/14

7 miles /w 8 x 400 off 60 seconds 70-72 seconds. + 4 miles steady (6:45 pace)

Went with coach to the Tallaght track for this. Last session with him I done 6 this time 8. I watched as coach done another few.

Tues 26/08/14

4 miles recovery (8 min pace) + 11 miles /w 6 steady (6:37 pace The Lakes 10k route)

I took some club members out on the route and led out the faster group. The ideas was roughly race pace plus 30 seconds.

Mon 25/08/14
    5 miles steady (7:00 pace) + 7 miles steady (6:30 pace The Lakes 10k route)

Going to Spain on Thursday do want to get in some good runs before hand. Plus a club mate wanted a trail run of the race route)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Good man. Hope you had a good holiday.

• Advertisement

Stazza wrote: »
    Good man. Hope you had a good holiday.

The streets were laden with busy bees and waves flooded my drums as the dealers tried to convince me!

Kids had a ball and the missus was well happy so mission success!

Advertisement